Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

Travel Film Scholarship 2012 - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

BRAZIL | Friday, 3 August 2012 | Views [141894] | Comments [111]

 

Applications are now closed - best of luck to everyone that applied! 

Go on assignment to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and experience Carnival.

Every nomad has a story. And we believe that those stories are worth sharing with the world.

This year, our 2012 Travel Film Scholarship is off to Rio de Janeiro capture Brazil’s most vibrant cultural festival - Carnival! This assignment is about really getting under the skin of Rio and experiencing it with the locals.

You’ll spend 10 days in Rio under the mentorship of Filmmaker and Producer Trent O’Donnell (who filmed our Positive Footprints series screened on Nat Geo Adventure Channel). In that time you will be producing 3-5 three-minute travel-themed videos that will be considered for broadcast on Nat Geo Adventure!

This year, we’ve changed things up a bit. How so, you ask?

1. We are not looking for documentaries; we want travel films - and we want you in them, not just behind the camera.

We love travel docos and we've had some amazing submissions in the past, however this year we want to try something new! We want to focus on you, our world nomads, in front of the camera. We want to experience a journey with you - the emotions, the moments, the adventures implicit to travel.

2. We’re accepting applications for not just one person, but also for teams of two to apply.

Solo Application

You must have solid film making skills, but more importantly, you must shine in front of the camera. We want to be inspired to travel, and to travel with you. The winner will essentially be a one-man show, needing nothing more than a camera and a sense of adventure to unearth a great story.

Team Application

We know that some of you are excellent filmmakers, with zero desire to see your face on film.  And there are others of you out there that are talented in front of the lens, but are hopeless behind it. That is why this year we’re opening up applications to pairs – you can be a combination of one filmmaker and one presenter or two people who can use a camera and stand in front of it.

Note (Seriously..Read this!): This is not an opportunity just to bring a friend along for a holiday. If you are applying as a pair, you both must play a role in front or behind the camera. In the application, you will need to specify “filmmaker”, “presenter, or “filmmaker/presenter”, for each team member, and we must see those roles come through in your application video.

What we want

There are plenty of beautiful looking travel videos out there. What we're looking for goes a bit deeper - we want to see the conversations, the commentary and the reactions to your experiences, not just the stunning vistas.

Who we’re looking for…

In your application video, we should really get a sense of who you are and your personality. You should be:

- comfortable in front of the camera

- engaging and charismatic, the kind of travel companion everyone would like to have (think Natalie Tran, Ian Wright or even Bradley Cooper...we don't ask much!)

- curious and inquisitive, interested in the lives of others, and always willing to interact with and learn from the locals

- up for anything, at any time

Who we're not looking for...

- America's Next Top News Anchor

- Someone whose idea of getting close to the action is sitting by the hotel pool

- People so uncomfortable on camera, they look like they want to cry

About the Assignment

The winner(s) will be sent on a customized 10-day film trip to Rio de Janeiro. 

* You will meet up with some Triptrotters, and native residents of Rio to join in some of their favorite local activities - it could be exploring the eclectic shops and cobblestone alleys in Santa Teresa, learning how to play footvolley at Copacabana or sitting down to the best empananadas in town after a samba session.

* Head over to the Sambadrome with passes from Be a Local to watch the culmination of the Carnival parade from the grand stands and then join the throngs of revelers in one of the many neighborhood 'blocos' parties.

* Visit an International Volunteer HQ project in the favela community Barriera do Vasco and learn how building safe and weather proof houses is helping the community.

* Get out of the Carnival mayhem to experience life at a WWOOF homestay located on a nature reserve just north of the city.

*...plus many more exciting activities!

* At night, rest up in an awesome local Airbnb pad.

* Prior to departure, we'll work with the winner(s) to flesh out themes, storylines and potential filming ideas....then we'll let you loose to research and get amongst it!

* Every day you'll catch up with your mentor Trent to review your footage, discuss your story direction and floss him for tips of the trade over a capirinhna or two. 

What’s the deal?

* We'll fly you (or your team) to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil from your country of residence.

* You need to be available to be in Brazil from February 6-17, 2013 to participate in the project.

* Under the mentorship of Trent O'Donnell you will shoot 3-5 three-minute travel videos about the experience.

* You will keep a daily diary about your time on the trip and upload this plus pictures you've taken to your WorldNomads.com travel journal.

* You will edit your 3-5 travel videos and submit them to WorldNomads.com within 2 months of your return (and then we'll promote the bejesus out of them and make you a travel film superstar!)

Who can apply?

* Any non-professionals can apply - this is open to film students, or anyone who's trying to build a career in film making and/or presenting!

* Minimum age 18 (by application deadline) with a current, valid passport and you must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in anyway. 

* You may be a resident of any country.

* You should be a mad-keen auteur with a lust for adventure and burning desire to be a filmmaker and/or presenter.

* You must be fit and healthy as moderate levels of physical work are involved as well as a number of late nights!

Am I eligible? What makes a non-professional?

This is a grey area, and very tricky to put measures around. We appreciate that the  filmmaking and presenting industries are difficult to break into and there are a lucky few who can count themselves as professional full time filmmakers or presenters.

This scholarship is very much about the mentorship opportunity, and the judging panel will be selecting the person or team who they feel will most benefit from the learning opportunity. So if you have already been commissioned to make films or have had your work broadcast on numerous occasions, it is unlikely you will be selected.

You will be asked to outline your experience to date in the submission process, and it will be the judging panel who decides who is most suitable based on their video and written component. So whilst we are not stipulating exactly what does and does not constitute a professional, think about the spirit of the mentorship program and whether you think you would make the most ideal candidate(s).    

Important Dates

**You need to be available between February 6th-17th, 2013 to participate on the assignment.**

Applications Accepted: August 3 - October 15

Judging Period: October 15 - November 5

Winner Announced: November 6

Assignment: February 6 - 17

Final Films Due: April 22

Apply now

If you want it, you've got to show it. To apply you need to:

1. Compile a maximum 3-minute travel video in English based around one of the following themes;

SEEK ADVENTURE: "My Kind of Adventure" - Show us your personal brand of adventure, it can be anything from your favourite outdoor activity, your latest off the beaten path adventure or navigating your local food markets.

CONNECT LOCALLY: "Through Local Eyes” - Get under the skin of a place (whether on the road or in your backyard), and show us a side of it that travellers may not usually experience.

LEARN NEW SKILLS: "Learning how to..." - Ever wanted to learn how to Samba or maybe give Mongolian throat singing a try? Take us on your journey as you learn how to do it.

The themes are completely open to interpretation, so be creative! The travel video may be compiled from previous travel videos you've shot.  

It's up to you to convince our judging panel through your video that you (or your team) have the spirit for adventure, on-camera charisma and passion for filmmaking to be chosen for this scholarship. The aim of the scholarship is the give the winner(s) a foot in the door to the travel film industry.

Our judging panel will be looking for;

* The ability to convey a strong narrative within a short time-frame
* Originality
* A visually engaging story
* An entry that demonstrates strong filmmaking skills as well as engaging on-camera talent (you know... someone you would want to travel with, someone who makes you want to go there).

Entries compiled solely of still shots will not be considered, you need to demonstrate your skill with the moving image.

Remember, 3 minutes maximum means that 3:01 videos will be ignored. In a professional video environment, you need to be able to deliver up to the exact time, we're no different in this case. Do not go over!

2. Upload your video : Go to YouTube or Vimeo to upload your video.

3. Add your video to WorldNomads.com: Create a journal and fill in the entry form, then follow the simple instructions to upload your video into the post. In under 1200 characters tell us about your video;

- What inspired your subject matter?

- What has been your filmmaking experience to date?

- What is your ambition as a filmmaker/presenter and what would winning this scholarship mean to you?

Convince us you are a worthy candidate! Both your written answers and video submission will be equally considered as part of the judging process.

One entry per person/team (no longer than 3 minutes, again remember, entries that exceed this will not be considered).

 

Entries close October 15, 2012, 2pm AEDT (Australian Eastern Daylight Time UTC +11)

Please don't leave your entry until the last minute, and note that the 2pm closing time is AEDT, not necessarily 2pm in YOUR time zone.

 



DOWNLOAD A SCHOLARSHIP POSTER;

A4 SIZE
A3 SIZE

US LETTER SIZE

CONDITIONS OF ENTRY - Please read!


 

Travel. Learn. Create.

For all of you aspiring creatives, check out our Scholarships page and sign up to hear about our latest opportunities, tips, advice and interviews with industry professionals in the fields of photography, travel writing and filmmaking.

And if you're lucky enough to be mentored by one of our industry professionals, it could kick start your career!

About WorldNomads.com

WorldNomads.com keeps you travelling safely.  Whether you’re off for a long weekend, looking for the ultimate adventure or living the nomadic dream, you’ll stay safe with Travel Insurance you can buy online, anytime, and the latest travel safety advice. Learn how to flirt in over 25 languages with our free language guides and have an experience of a lifetime on a travel scholarship. We'll also help you share your journey with a free travel blog, get answers from other nomads to all of your travel questions (try the new 'Ask A Nomad' iPad app) and donate to a local community development project through our Footprints program.  

WorldNomads.com - an essential part of every adventurous traveller's journey.

 

Comments

1

this is a great advantage to rediscover the real nature. hope it is still as nature and pure as life it's-self

  Barrington Adedokun Aug 4, 2012 5:44 AM

2

Hello, I submitted a video about Los Angeles to your contest! I am enthusiastic, well-traveled and LOVE the planet and showing it off to others. Here is my entry:

http://journals.worldnomads.com/angieallover/story/89205/Worldwide/My-Scholarship-entry-Through-Local-Eyes

Thanks a bunch!

  AngieAllOver Aug 5, 2012 3:44 AM

3

I have a question:

For what I read your scholarship only pays for the airfare to Rio. Is it correct? Please, let me know.

Thank you,

Orlando Pacheco
Director, Troy Abroad
115 Pace Hall, Troy University - Troy, AL 36082
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/orlando-pacheco/12/7b7/769
E-mails: opacheco@troy.edu & StudyAbroad@troy.edu
Telephone: (334) 808-6128 * Fax: (334) 670-3735

  Orlando Pacheco Aug 7, 2012 3:33 AM

4

Hi Orlando,

If you click through to the 'Conditions of Entry' page you will see outlined all that is included in the scholarship experience - this does include more than just airfare.

Best of luck!
Alicia
WorldNomads.com

  scholarships Aug 7, 2012 9:15 AM

5

I just have a question about using music. Are we free to use whatever music we want or will there be copyright issues?
I'm assuming we have to stick to the YouTube and Vimeo guidelines in that we can't just use a band's song without their permission, or is it okay if we just credit them in the video or description??

Peta

  Peta Hoskins Aug 7, 2012 10:59 AM

6

Hi Peta,

You will need to follow the guidelines outlined by YouTube & Vimeo. If you use copyrighted music, you run the risk of your entire audio track being stripped from your video.

Alicia
WorldNomads.com

  scholarships Aug 7, 2012 11:10 AM

7

Ok, thanks heaps Alicia!

Peta.

  Peta Aug 7, 2012 11:19 AM

8

Can you apply more than once? :)

  Lou Aug 8, 2012 6:20 PM

9

Hi Lou - You may only apply once per person (whether that is as an individual or as a team). Alicia

  scholarships Aug 9, 2012 9:26 AM

10

Hi Scholarships team, I would like to ask if that means we can apply once individually AND once as a team?

  Vivi Aug 9, 2012 11:00 AM

11

Hi Vivi, that means just once. You will need to decide if it is as an individual or as a team. - Alicia

  scholarships Aug 9, 2012 12:37 PM

12

GREAT CONTEST TO APPLY FOR. I AM WELL-TRAVELLED PERSON WHEN I WAS IN MY YOUNGER YEARS. I LOVE TO PHOTO-VIDEO LOCAL PEOPLE, SCENARIOS LIKELY TO BE SEEN IN THE RURAL ARES. INTERVIEWING LOCAL PEOPLE IS A FUN. LEARN THE CULTURE IS IMPORTANT NOT ONLY TO SEE THEM MOVE. I WISH I COULD JOIN BUT HEALTH HINDERS ME. GOOD LUCK TO ALL APPLICANTS. CONGRATULATIONS TO FUTURE WINNERS.

  PEDRO "PETER" MALLORCA MAGTURO Aug 12, 2012 1:07 PM

13

Hi,

Regarding solo application...(wo)man and camera...how does a solo 'shine in front of the camera' if they're shooting it? Do you imagine this is interviewer off camera, conversing with subject? And then piece to camera after the fact, as a summary for example. Or is the expectation that we'd set up a locked off shot and jump in front of the camera with a subject/interviewee?

Thanks

  Simon Hansen Aug 13, 2012 2:58 AM

14

Hi Simon, it is up to you how you divide your time, but we would expect you to be in front of the camera (speaking to it, or speaking with others) after setting up the camera. However, of course, there can be times when you are just behind the camera filming something or someone else. - Alicia

  scholarships Aug 13, 2012 9:23 AM

15

Hey quick question...when filling out the under 1200 characters answers section...does this mean 1200 per person of a team?

  Samantha Aug 14, 2012 1:57 AM

16

Hi Samantha - It is 1200 characters per application, whether that is an individual application or a team application. - Alicia

  scholarships Aug 14, 2012 9:14 AM

17

Hi, just a question. Will it be valid if our entry will feature both of us as hosts? Both of us will be the camera person and the host interchangeably.

  Kevin Aug 17, 2012 4:40 AM

18

Hi Kevin - Of course you can both alternate in front of and behind the camera if you are applying as a team. - Alicia

  scholarships Aug 17, 2012 9:06 AM

19

Great! Thanks Alicia!:)

  Kevin Aug 17, 2012 1:09 PM

20

Hi just wondering if you are still elegible if u turn 18 after febuary 2013, like in a different month? Thanks.

  Roy Aug 21, 2012 1:54 PM

21

Hi Roy, The T&C's state that you must turn 18 years old by October 15, 2012 (the application closing date). If not, why don't you join the scholarship mailing list and we'll let you know about the 2013 Film Scholarship - the subscription box is on this page - http://scholarships.worldnomads.com/
- Christy

  scholarships Aug 22, 2012 8:09 AM

22

Allright thank you so much hopefully next year then!

  Roy Aug 22, 2012 2:03 PM

23

I have a concept for a video but I'm not sure if it fits into either of the categories- can I email it to someone and they can say if it would qualify or not?

  Lou Aug 22, 2012 7:18 PM

24

Hi Lou

Sorry, we can't offer personal advice on your entry. The 3 possible categories are
* SEEK ADVENTURE: "My Kind of Adventure"
* CONNECT LOCALLY: "Through Local Eyes”
* LEARN NEW SKILLS: "Learning how to..."

But we also say, " The themes are completely open to interpretation, so be creative!" Don't forget that the entry criteria are there for a few reasons - firstly, to let us see that you can follow a brief and assess entries on common criteria. They also are there to help you shape your entry. A totally unrestricted brief can often be bewildering and overwhelming!

Cheers, Christy

  scholarships Aug 27, 2012 9:02 AM

25

Hi All;

We are two non-native English speakers and we will submit our video in English but we would like to know if it is ok to use some parts in our local language with English subtitles as we will make a film from the videos that we shoot from our last travel and we also have some amazing video parts we would be happy to include with subtitles as well. So approximately 90 percent will be in English maybe at most to 10 percent will be in our local language with English substitles so please tell me if it is ok with you.

Safe travels and lots of advantures,
Zet

  Zeynep Korkunc Aug 29, 2012 4:43 AM

26

hi folks I have a question,I have two citizenships one is Brazilian and the other British, I have been living in UK for the last 9 years and I am now starting university in Film and Television in London UK.
The fact that I am Brazilian and speak portuguese, does it make me not eligible to apply?
many thanks,
Joel Bernardes

  joel Sep 1, 2012 3:14 AM

27

Zeynep,

We don't mind if you use 'some' translations throughout, but consider it part of the brief to make the submission primarily in English and if you win, your final films as part of the scholarship will need to be shot in English.

Joel,

We have no issue at all if you're Brazilian, feel free to apply!

Cheers, Chris

  scholarships Sep 1, 2012 2:57 PM

28

Hello, which version of Travel Nomads travel insurance will you offer for the winner (just want to know if it would cover most or all of my equipment?)

  Umi Sep 4, 2012 3:07 AM

29

I can't even believe it! This is amazing!

We'll start working on our video immediately.

  Sarah & Trent Sep 4, 2012 3:58 PM

30

hi,
i have few questions.
1) if i want to apply as a team then is it necessary that the video i submit with entry appllication should belong to me and my partner both or its ok if its shot by one of us and if both of us have worked on post production of it? also is it essential that we both feature in front of the camera?my partner generally likes to be behind the camera and i am the one who would be in the front?

2) can i apply with the partner with whom i have never shot before but only worked on post production and want him to be part of my team to shoot for this project?

3)does the time limit of 3 minute submission film includes titles, beginning and end blacks,color bar/tone or only 1st frame of picture to last frame of picture? i dont want to be disqualified becasue of time issue.

4) i have recently shot a film and used 2 different camera, a small handycam and sony z1 and they differ hugely in picture quality.Is it acceptable if i make a submission film using both the good quality and average quality footage?

5) can i use still images of myself having fun alongwith the video footage in the film? i have also got some pictures of mine during the shooting and i feel they can be part of the film.

6) am i eligible if i have worked in media or film industry in capacity of any other technician like assistant cameraman or sound recordist but never worked as a director or presenter? doest that make me a amateur or student film maker?

i am sorry for so many questions but i dont want to miss this oppurtunity and want to make sure that i do everything right..
awaiting your response.
Thanks

Regards
jimi

  jimy Sep 6, 2012 10:54 AM

31

Umi - Our travel insurance policies are limited in terms of the amount of coverage available for equipment (as most travellers do not carry a large amount). If the winner feels that they require more coverage, then they would need to source specific equipment coverage from another provider. - Alicia

  scholarships Sep 6, 2012 3:35 PM

32

Jimi -

1. If you are applying as a team, you both need to have been a part of the shoot, not just post production. However, you do not both need to be in front of the camera - one person can be the presenter and one person can be the cameraman.
2. You do not need to have worked with your partner before.
3. Three minutes includes everything. If it is over three minutes, it will be disqualified.
4. Yes, your submission can be a combination of footage.
5. You can use still images if you keep them to an absolute minimum.
6. If you have not made the majority of your income in the film industry under the title of a filmmaker or presenter, you should be eligible.

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships Sep 6, 2012 3:43 PM

33

hi alicia,
thanks a lot for your prompt reply..

Regards
jimi

  jimi Sep 7, 2012 6:56 AM

34

Great opportunity. Thanks Alicia and all.. I am from India and will submit my entry soon.. Hope for a great experience!!

  Amit Baweja Sep 13, 2012 4:21 AM

35

Hi! I am so eager to try this opportunity but quite overwhelmed as well. Your video introducing the scholarship highlights people who seem well experienced with handling a (very nice, may I add) camera. But, I would be applying as a solo entry with little experience behind the camera. My interest lies more in being the presenter. I guess my question is similar to Simon's - how is one supposed to be BOTH in front of AND behind the camera? How does one get candid video in that way? Can I ask people to help me with the filming who are not necessarily entering in the competition? How much experience is necessary to execute the scholarship in Rio should one win with no experience filming? The details emphasize that it is open to amateurs but how amateur are we talking? I would really like to pursue this...! Thank you :)

  Jessica Sep 14, 2012 11:11 AM

36

O Brasil é muito mais do que isso. O Rio de Janeiro é uma das mais de 5000 cidades. A cultura brasileira não se resume em, apenas, carnaval, samba, praia, futebol, funk e mulheres seminuas. A capital deste país é Brasília e não Rio. Estamos divulgando errado!

  Portela Sep 16, 2012 1:19 PM

37

Hi Jessica, thanks for your interest. If you are applying solo, you need to be able to do the filming yourself - as this is what will be required on the assignment in Rio. If you shine in front of the camera and submit an interesting video, film skills can be developed. However, you cannot have someone do the filming on your application video who is not applying with you. - Alicia

  scholarships Sep 17, 2012 9:20 AM

38

Hi Portela, of course Brazil is more than just Carnival, football and samba! We are just focusing this 10-day scholarship around capturing the festival experience. - Alicia

  scholarships Sep 17, 2012 9:24 AM

39

hi Alicia,
i' am very excited about the deal and have even started working on it but my problem is that i dont have a passport right now. I will be applying for 1 today but it will take atleast 50 days to get 1. so, do i have to have a passport for applying for the scholarship or it is ok if i will have1, by the time of result declaration.

  Anoop J Daniel Sep 17, 2012 2:42 PM

40

Hi Anoop - Just make sure you have a valid passport by the time we announce the winner on November 6th. - Alicia

  scholarships Sep 18, 2012 10:04 AM

41

My video is about traveling locally. Where I take viewers around my own city (me being the local one) my question is
There has to be interviews of the local people? In my video its mainly me talking about a few special places in Delhi (India)
That should do right?

  zeba Sep 19, 2012 6:33 PM

42

Hi,

I have material that I´ve been filming for the last two years while I was traveling around the world.
A friend of mine wants to edit the material, but he also wants to be part of the project and the prize, in case we win.
I wanna know if he would be also part of the project and win the prize with me.

I would appreciate if you can give me an answer about that.

Thanks.
Sebastian.

  Sebastian Sep 20, 2012 7:13 AM

43

Zeba - You don't have to interview local people to show us your own city (you are the local!).

Sebastian - As we said in #32 - If you are applying as a team, you both need to have been a part of the shoot, not just post production. However, you do not both need to be in front of the camera - one person can be the presenter and one person can be the cameraman.

Best of luck!
Alicia

  scholarships Sep 20, 2012 9:45 AM

44

And video have to have to be 3 minutes right? saw a few that were more so was wondering if we can do that to :P

  Zeba Sep 20, 2012 9:11 PM

45

Hi Zeba, yes the video has to be under 3 minutes, all videos 3.01 and above will be disqualified. As aspiring filmmakers, it is important to be able to follow a brief. - Alicia

  scholarships Sep 21, 2012 8:58 AM

46

How many of them would you select of all entries given ??

  Uday Sep 22, 2012 2:08 AM

47

Hi Uday - We will select one winning entry, which can either be an individual or a team of two. - Alicia

  scholarships Sep 24, 2012 9:20 AM

48

how many candidates are going to be selected out of all the applicants ??

  preeti Sep 24, 2012 12:44 PM

49

Hi Preeti - See my answer above at comment #47. - Alicia

  scholarships Sep 24, 2012 12:50 PM

50

thanks Alicia ...but does that mean only one pair or single entry would be selected for the trip ?? or you meant for the final...my question was for the trip...

  preeti Sep 25, 2012 1:40 AM

51

Hi Preeti - Yes, only one application video will be selected as the winner, whether that is made by an individual or a pair - and they alone will go on the trip. - Alicia

  scholarships Sep 25, 2012 9:19 AM

52

Submitted my application. But how can i know it all went fine and its playing right?

here's my journal link: http://journals.worldnomads.com/zeba/
And youtube link: http://youtu.be/fs-N1QeAe98

  zeba Sep 26, 2012 9:40 PM

53

I would LOVE to participate but I do not have any film experience. I would be a great PRESENTER though:) if anyone in the Los Angeles area need a partner count me in!!

  Desiree Sep 27, 2012 3:09 AM

54

Hi Zeba, we have you entry here and everything looks fine - Alicia http://journals.worldnomads.com/zeba/story/90408/Worldwide/My-Scholarship-entry-Through-Local-Eyes

  scholarships Sep 27, 2012 9:32 AM

55

I was wondering if there are any minimum requirements for the footage quality. I've got the filming/editing/presenting part down, I'm just limited on resources. Read: I'll be filming using my camera phone. Please don't judge me (actually, please DO judge me, and my 240 x 320 pixels/15 fps submission). Thank you!

  sumo Sep 27, 2012 2:48 PM

56

Hi Sumo - there are no minimum requirements of what camera gear you need to use. - Alicia

  scholarships Sep 27, 2012 2:55 PM

57

Hi,
Just a question..... If my partner in crime for this scholarship is 18 before the 15th of October but I am not until January, are we still allowed to enter?
Tayla

  Tayla Sep 27, 2012 10:59 PM

58

hey,
i was thinking of changing music of my video. put in something which is more "delhi" is there any scope of changing now?

ps: uff.. think I am the one with most doubts and questions :P

  zeba Sep 28, 2012 4:07 PM

59

Hello team scholarships! I'm from Portugal and very insterested in participating. But I have a question: the video has to be spoken in english or we can put subtitles on it?

Thank you very much!

Joana

  Joana Afonso Sep 28, 2012 10:06 PM

60

Hi All;

We just finished our movie-you cant imagine how much excited we are about it:)) I have a very important question , as we will load it to youtube or vimeo first, we wonder if it is a creteria for you how many times it was watched on yutube or vimeo, so what i am trying to ask shall we share it with people and will you take it as a criteria if it was watched and commented in social media or not? we couldnt be sure about it. if yes we will share it with people or it is totally not a issue for you?

thanks a lot, safe travels and greetings from Istanbul
Zeynep

  Zeynep Sep 30, 2012 7:58 PM

61

Hi Alicia,
I've uploaded my video but in my journal it doesn't show up.
Could you please confirm if you got it? I don't want to disqualify
myself by sending it in twice.
Thank you very much! Have a great day
DesireRohde

  desirerohde Oct 2, 2012 3:22 AM

62

Tayla - Unfortunately, you both must be 18 years old by the application closing date to apply.

Zeba - You can email me at alicia@worldnomads.com with the new video link (with the new music) before October 15th.

Joana - The majority of the video needs to be spoken in English - as the presenter needs to demonstrate that they can speak fluent English.

Zeynep - The number of views or shares of your video have no influence on the judging process. Feel free to share if you want, but it will not effect the final decision.

Best of luck all!
Alicia

  scholarships Oct 2, 2012 9:56 AM

63

Hi desirerohde, you should be able to see your entry now: http://journals.worldnomads.com/desirerohde/story/90583/Worldwide/My-Scholarship-entry-Through-Local-Eyes - Alicia

  scholarships Oct 2, 2012 10:40 AM

64

Hi Guys,

Have just submitted our entry however i'm getting a 'this video does not exist' pop up on the journal page.

The vimeo link is:

http://vimeo.com/user10628617/carnaval2012

Cheers and thanks for your time

dan

  travelsick Oct 2, 2012 5:04 PM

65

I don't know why you said that you're looking for the next filmmaker, all the contest is focus to find some "cool" host; there are to many out there!!. A real traveler-filmmaker with passion for the images and histories is what should really matter, someone with sensitivity and creativity to connect with people through the lens with poetic images. Hope for the next scholarship changes your objective.

  Daniel Oct 2, 2012 6:46 PM

66

Hi travelsick - You video is now visible in your application. Here is the link that needed to be used: http://vimeo.com/50586985. - Alicia

  scholarships Oct 3, 2012 9:30 AM

67

Hi Daniel, thanks for your feedback. We decided to try something new this year and are looking for both a great filmmaker and a charismatic presenter. We realize it is a tall order to find an individual or a team that can connect with a destination and its people both behind the lens and in front of it, but we are looking forward to finding them! - Alicia

  scholarships Oct 3, 2012 9:45 AM

68

Hi Alicia , i have some questions about the music. Is it a problem about copyrights if I used any song in the video clip. Or i need to use only score to avoid that problem. Thanks!

Ray (from Thailand)

  Ray Oct 6, 2012 3:56 AM

69

Hey hi, a small question, some of my friends want to apply but they dont have passports yet they will make it in november is it gona be okay?

  sam Oct 7, 2012 7:21 PM

70

I am going to apply with my twin sister for the scholarship. Can I use my current account, or do I have to start a new journal? Thanks!

  duende Oct 8, 2012 8:28 AM

71

Ray - Which video clip are you referring to? If you are worried about copyrights, refer to comment #6.

Sam - Check out comments #39 & #40.

Duende - Yes, you can use your current World Nomads Journals account to apply.

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships Oct 8, 2012 9:18 AM

72

Alicia,

I have a question regarding editing of the film. Do we ( I am applying as a team) have to do it ourselves or can we use professional help? like a professional editor?

Thanks!
Arnab

  arnab Oct 9, 2012 5:38 PM

73

Hi Arnab - You do need to edit your application video yourself, as you will be required to edit your films from the assignment in Rio (and we need to see an accurate representation of your abilities). - Alicia

  scholarships Oct 10, 2012 9:24 AM

74

What an amazing opportunity! As an aspiring film maker and television host, who loves travel I am very excited to enter this competition. I can't wait to enter and to see the results from the winning entry.

Will the top entries be broadcast? It would be great to see them also.

  Chris Cook Oct 10, 2012 10:59 AM

75

Hi Chris - Yes, we will be publishing the winner, runners up and a shortlist on November 6th. - Alicia

  scholarships Oct 10, 2012 2:42 PM

76

Hey Alicia. I didn't entirely edit my video. My friend n I did together but in the process i learnt how its done. That is fine right??

  zeba Oct 10, 2012 11:40 PM

77

Hi Alicia , I have uploaded application.. and this is our journal
http://journals.worldnomads.com/ray-pat/

I have a question about video that showed on our page. We have edited 3:00 video but the time show on that page is 3:01 (but it will be 3:00 if you see video after clicking on it) ..Is this disqualified? Or we should upload new video and new application to fix that problem.

Thanks,
Ray

  ray-pat Oct 11, 2012 8:19 PM

78

Just finding out about this. Hopefully I can put together a breathtaking adventure film in 3 1/2 days! As a cinema student that works well under pressure in the heat of the moment, I think I can make it happen. :) Love and happy travels!

  Jamie Oliveira Oct 12, 2012 9:11 AM

79

I am so sad, why i didn't saw this before. there is so much to share with you about Morocco. If always i had some time, until next week :s !

  Zouhir Morocco Oct 12, 2012 9:59 AM

80

Zeba - As long as your application partner did the editing, and you are comfortable that the two of you could edit your films should you go to Rio, that's fine.

Ray - You application is fine - it is 3.00 when you click the link.

Jamie - Good luck, sounds like you'll have a busy weekend!

Zouhir - We have a Travel Film Scholarship each year, so stay tuned for next year's opportunity!

Cheers,
Alicia



  scholarships Oct 12, 2012 10:14 AM

81

Well ya. we learned while editing this video and then did the rest of editing on our own..so guess that should be fine. Thanks a tonne.

  Zeba Oct 12, 2012 3:57 PM

82

Finally uploaded my submission last night. You can view it here - http://journals.worldnomads.com/smaran/story/90900/Worldwide/My-Scholarship-entry-My-Kind-of-Adventure

There are some really good submissions, and what stands out in each of them is their respective flair and conditioning of how one should travel. I am sure it's going to be a tough decision to select the winner, good luck everyone!

A big shout out to Alicia! You have been tremendously helpful with your prompt replies to every query in the comment section. On behalf of everyone participating, a huge thanks!

  smaran Oct 12, 2012 6:05 PM

83

This is such an incredible opportunity - right up my street. I wish I'd heard of it prior to last week!!!!!! Here's seeing if I can come up with something. May the best cam win!

  Peter Parkorr Oct 14, 2012 2:58 AM

84

http://journals.worldnomads.com/theglowingfireflies/
is our lil effort... thanks for the chance! n Alicia, you ve been such a sport with the the Q n As! :)

  theglowingfireflies Oct 14, 2012 8:47 AM

85

Our video is 2:59 (trust me we quadruple checked) but it's showing up as 3:01 on the youtube channel. When you play it though it is indicated as 3:00 minutes. We noticed that Youtube adds a small bumper advertisement for other vids to the end of video that might be extending length. This could be effecting a lot of applicants. Please note that and do not disqualify until you play the actual video to see the real length.

http://journals.worldnomads.com/craignrich/story/90973/Worldwide/My-Scholarship-entry-My-Kind-of-Adventure

  craignrich Oct 14, 2012 11:12 AM

86

when u say 1200 characters...do u mean 1200 words or 1200 characters as it is shown in word count in word? plz help

  hari prasad Oct 14, 2012 2:23 PM

87

Never mind my number 86 comment. I saw this was addressed a few comments earlier. Cheers!

  craignrich Oct 14, 2012 5:24 PM

88

Check out my entry my fellow adventurers!
http://journals.worldnomads.com/jamieoliveira/story/91014/Worldwide/My-Scholarship-entry-Through-Local-Eyes

I found out about this scholarship TWO days ago and I feel like I managed to find a pretty engaging story. It was heartbreaking to have to cut so much material as to fit in the 3 minutes! Also had to teach myself to use Final Cut Pro within these 2 days as I had never stepped out of Windows Movie Maker... crazy experience that involved a sleepless night but ever so worth it. Even if I don't win, I had a blast making this video!

Never stop engaging with the world around you, nature is beautiful and human beings are an amazing reflection of that beauty :)

  jamieoliveira Oct 15, 2012 4:09 AM

89

craignrich - Great, your application is fine.

hari - You need to answer the questions in 1200 characters.

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships Oct 15, 2012 9:18 AM

90

Hi everyone - applications close today! Please pay special attention to the time and do not leave your application to the last minute.

Applications close at 2pm AUSTRALIAN Eastern Daylight Time (UTC +11) and late applications will not be accepted.

This means you have a little over 4 and a half hours from now to submit your entries (current time, 9:22am AEDT). Best of luck to all and thanks for applying!
- Alicia

  scholarships Oct 15, 2012 9:23 AM

91

Hi hope all is well! This is my entry http://journals.worldnomads.com/japanthroughlocaleyes
I hope you enjoy it!
I just found about this amazing scholarship on Friday. I am really happy to be a part of this.

Good luck to everyone! And please let me know if any of you come to Japan!

Many thanks to Alicia for the Questions and Answers.

Tomo

  japanthroughlocaleyes Oct 15, 2012 2:01 PM

92

Thanks to everyone that applied to the scholarship - applications are now closed! We are really looking forward to watching all of your entries and choosing a winner. Stay tuned for the announcement on November 6th! - Alicia

  scholarships Oct 15, 2012 2:30 PM

93

Hi we made a 2 minute 57 sec video and uploaded it on youtube ... But the youtube has pasted the video twice and shows it as a 5:50 length video... Would our entry be disqualified ?

  pdlight Oct 15, 2012 2:39 PM

94

pdlight - Email me at alicia@worldnomads.com - Alicia

  scholarships Oct 15, 2012 2:45 PM

95

Hi,
I already uploaded the video for the contest. I had a last minute technical problem with the synchro. It´s just an exportation issue. I fixed after, but it was to late.
I wanted to know if it´s possible to change the video for the corrected version, withot this synchro issue.

Thanks.
Sebastian.

  Sebastian Oct 15, 2012 5:57 PM

96

https://vimeo.com/51422969
Hi, we faced some last minute technical issues and had to reupload the video twice, thus the delay. It would be great if you guys could consider it. We have worked really hard and it didn't really forsee this happening. Please do see it.
Email id; sukriti.nid@gmail.com










  Sukriti tyagi Oct 15, 2012 6:05 PM

97

Added a few pictures from the journey within my scholarship entry. Good luck to everyone that's part of the competition!

http://journals.worldnomads.com/smaran/

  smaran Oct 16, 2012 6:32 AM

98

Hi, we submitted the application yesterday but we can not see our video in the video section (http://adventures.worldnomads.com/videos/), although yesterday it was there. This is the link to the video http://journals.worldnomads.com/ciclistas/story/91066/Worldwide/My-Scholarship-entry-Learning-How-to. Is it ok? Did the application go through? Thank you
- Michal & Lea

  ciclistas Oct 16, 2012 9:32 AM

99

Sebastian - As applications are now closed, we will have to judge your video as you submitted it.

Sukriti - We encourage people to not leave their applications to the last minute so that there is extra time to deal with those technical issues. At this point, we will not be able to accept your application. I do hope you apply next year and keep up your work in filmmaking.

Michal & Lea - We do have your entry. The list of all of the scholarship video entries can be found here: http://adventures.worldnomads.com/scholarships/?m=7

Alicia

  scholarships Oct 16, 2012 10:16 AM

100

Hoping that we are what you are looking for! Feel free to check out Brittany and Giovanna, local Philadelphians, filmmaker and journalist hopeful. http://journals.worldnomads.com/brittgio/story/91162/Worldwide/My-Scholarship-entry-My-Kind-of-Adventure

  Giovanna Oct 16, 2012 2:22 PM

101

Hello Alicia,

I fixed my copyright issues for my video. Try to see if it works now: http://journals.worldnomads.com/turbulences/story/90935/Worldwide/My-Scholarship-entry-My-Kind-of-Adventure

Thank you!

  Roberto Cano Lopez Oct 20, 2012 1:35 AM

102

Hi Roberto - This message still comes up on your video:
"This video contains content from UMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds." So, we still can't see it. - Alicia

  scholarships Oct 22, 2012 9:44 AM

103

Hello Alicia,

I am very sorry. If you give me an email, I could send you the video by 'SendSpace' for big formats, is it possible? I am very sad for these news and I really want to participate. Thank you

  Roberto Cano Lopez Oct 25, 2012 2:24 AM

104

Hi All,

It was wonderful experience making our first travel film. Thanks Worldnomads.com for this great opportunity.

Please watch our entry @
http://journals.worldnomads.com/balemaneb2c/story/90923/Worldwide/My-Scholarship-entry-My-Kind-of-Adventure

You can read about the making of the film @
http://www.by2coffeefilms.com/news/makingofatravelfilmonajourney

All the best and have a wonderful time ahead :)

  balemaneb2c Oct 27, 2012 12:49 AM

105

Hi! We submitted a video for the travel film scholarship! Our film delves into Little Tibet of Toronto - a small community that is big on culture! Please take a look here: http://journals.worldnomads.com/elainepoon/story/91155/Worldwide/My-Scholarship-entry-Through-Local-Eyes

  elainepoon Oct 31, 2012 2:32 PM

106

Hey there!! When is the winner going to be announced today?!

  Sussan Nov 6, 2012 11:30 AM

107

Hi Everyone,

We will be announcing the scholarship winner(s) by 5pm AEDT today.

Stay tuned!
Alicia

  scholarships Nov 6, 2012 11:49 AM

108

And the winners of the 2012 Travel Film Scholarship to Brazil are..... http://bitly.com/SQct72

Thank you to everyone that participated! - Alicia

  scholarships Nov 6, 2012 4:21 PM

109

Are you guys not doing a Community Choice award this year?

  jamieoliveira Nov 6, 2012 5:43 PM

110

Congratulations to the winners! Digital High-Five! Great job guys. Whether you come to Tokyo or not, feel free to add me on Facebook Naotomo Umewaka.

Continue to inspire!

Tomo

  Naotomo Umewaka Nov 6, 2012 8:21 PM

111

This would be the job of my dreams:)

  Kate Joel Dec 13, 2012 11:16 PM

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.