Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

Travel Writing Scholarship 2012 - The Shortlist

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 10 May 2012 | Views [11427] | Comments [22]

[This Singapore skyline is one step closer...]

Our judging panel has spent the last three weeks pouring over all of the applications from our 2012 Travel Writing Scholarship. Each of you had taken us on a journey to another place to see, to understand, to taste, to know the world through your writing. 

This year, we've decided to end the suspense early and announce to you the top applicants that have made our shortlist.

Congratulations to our shortlisted applicants - the winner will be announced on May 17th!

 

The Shortlist

(in alphabetical order)

 

 

Friends Road by abruckne

Travelling tigers by acinonyx

Memories of Meals in Haiku by agenbite

The Two Babushkas by annanore

The Voice of Mount Banahaw by apriljsun

Songs of the Mountains by aurvi

The Odd Duo by edsonlg

Priceless Currency by emily_rose

Why you like my Pakistan? by hanna

This too, is Africa by henkrigter

They say the last glass is gentle as death by homesickfoods

Snake Blood by imperfectrhyme

The Price of a Memory by jeffreyeide

Bird poo at the barber by kcasmann

Supermarket Desire by lerato

Three Cups of Tea, Malian edition by myviewfromeurope

Cookery Lessons on the Banks of the Ganga by niall-l

A Feast Fit for a Pharaoh by writing_the_world

Peculiar touristic attractions by ziggy

Stay in Touch

 

Want to learn more about our scholarship program and stay up-to-date on travel writing, photography and film making opportunities? Sign up to our Scholarship Mailing List. 

Want to know what our past scholarship winners are up to?

2011 winner - Zoe Return to Turkey to Write for Rough Guides

 

Travel. Learn. Create.

For all of you aspiring creatives, check out our Scholarships page and sign up to hear about our latest opportunities, tips, advice and interviews with industry professionals in the fields of photography, travel writing and filmmaking.

About WorldNomads.com

WorldNomads.com keeps you travelling safely.  Whether you’re off for a long weekend, looking for the ultimate adventure or living the nomadic dream, you’ll stay safe with Travel Insurance you can buy online, anytime, and the latest travel safety advice. Learn how to flirt in over 25 languages with our free language guides and have an experience of a lifetime on a travel scholarship. We'll also help you share your journey with a free travel blog, get answers from other nomads to all of your travel questions (try the new 'Ask A Nomad' iPad app) and donate to a local community development project through our Footprints program.  

WorldNomads.com - an essential part of every adventurous traveller's journey.

 

 

 

 

Comments

1

Congrats to those shortlisted! Look forward to seeing the lucky winner here in Bali :)

  Stuart at Travelfish May 10, 2012 1:35 PM

2

Aww, didn't make it. Congratulations to all those in the shortlist! For the rest of us, let's keep improving and trying! :)

Thanks World Nomads for the opportunity!

  Dianne May 10, 2012 2:07 PM

3

Such an honour to be shortlisted again!

Loving all the entries. Don't know what I want to do first: stuff my face or jump on a plane! Then again, who says you can't do both, eh?

  Sofia (Writing the World) May 10, 2012 2:07 PM

4

Congratulations to all of you shortlisted, pretty jealous!

Good luck :)

  katy May 10, 2012 9:47 PM

5

Best wishes, fellow contenders!

  imperfectrhyme May 10, 2012 10:46 PM

6

I've never wanted my name on a list so badly. =)

Congratulations and good luck to those shortlisted; I enjoyed every single entry above.

  Lindsay May 11, 2012 9:19 AM

7

What happened to the 500 character limit? Looks like it didnt apply to everyone who was shortlisted : (

  jess May 11, 2012 2:08 PM

8

Dang it!!!..
I was really hoping that perhaps my luck might have changed!!

oh well back to the drawing board (or the pen to paper)!!

Congrats to those short listed.. so so very jealous of you all !!

Bring on 2013!!

  jean12 May 11, 2012 2:22 PM

9

Hi Jess May, the character limit was actually 2000 characters, and we carefully checked that each of our shortlisted entries met this criteria. - Alicia

  scholarships May 11, 2012 3:34 PM

10

Stoked to be amongst such talented writers. Good Luck.

  Hanna May 11, 2012 4:00 PM

11

The entries are amazing, one of them even has poetry! Good luck to us all, I'm glad to be included in the shortlist =)

  apriljsun May 11, 2012 6:47 PM

12

Congratulations to everyone who was shortlisted :)

Was wondering if I could get feedback...what you'd have liked to see/not see?

  deepblueruin May 12, 2012 4:17 AM

13

Congratulations to everyone who has been shortlisted! It is a wonderful mix of destinations,learning, inspiration and humor !
Alicia - My request is similar to that of deepblueruin, would it be possible for us to get some feedback on request?

  thegypsydiaries May 12, 2012 4:28 PM

14

Hi deepblueruin and thegypsydiaries, unfortunately we cannot give individual feedback. Should we give feedback to one, we would want to give feedback to all that requested - and we simply could not keep up given the amount of entries. Thanks again to everyone that applied! - Alicia

  scholarships May 14, 2012 9:11 AM

15

All these stories are so impressive and inspiring. I've made so many mental notes on ways to improve my own writing and techniques to try out. There are many other entries I really enjoyed and am surprised to not see here. Shortlisted or not, every entry I've read has reminded me of how many stories there are yet to experience. Thank you, World Nomads, for the opportunity to share my story. Best of luck, everyone.

  abruckne May 15, 2012 12:43 AM

16

Disappointed not to have made it, congrats to those who did :) some impressive writing here.

  Sim Gready May 15, 2012 9:43 PM

17

Congratulations to those on the shortlist. I guess having only been to 'first world' countries, my journal doesn't compare but it doesn't mean I'm not desperate to go to all these places! :-/

  graceemily27 May 15, 2012 10:34 PM

18

Thank you to the judges and my fellow competitors! This is such a wonderful opportunity, and even though my entry wasn't shortlisted, the experience did great things for me and for my writing!

The finalists produced some amazing work. I did the difficult task of reading all 19 of them yesterday (and of course putting my thoughts on here: http://sarahlynnpablo.wordpress.com/2012/05/15/my-entry-is-not-on-the-scholarship-shortlist/). I learned something different from each essay both in writing and in the travel experience. Bravo!

Best of luck to each of you! ... And see you back here next year!

  sarahlynnpablo May 17, 2012 3:53 AM

19

Congratulations to the winner! And great job to those who were shortlisted. :) Let's keep writing, everyone! :)

  Regina Cortazar May 24, 2012 2:09 PM

20

congrats guys. and hanna, enjoy your prize.

  maamugh May 24, 2012 7:19 PM

21

Congratulations to everyone! It has been so inspiring to read through these entries and see such talent. The character limit really challenged me, but you guys all made relating your story seem effortless and eloquent at the same time! I think I noticed, though, that there are no shortlisted entries in the category of Giving Back on The Road....? Anyway, Hana - ENJOY! :)

  Jessica May 25, 2012 1:16 AM

22

Hi,

Are you currently accepting guest posts on website ?

My name is Anna Cleanthous and I am a freelance writer to help them reach new audiences online by developing content partnerships with good quality blogs and websites like yours.

I would like to stress that the article itself will not be self-promotional - I strive to ensure each piece I write is unique, written exclusively for your website and offers value to your audience.

If you are happy for me to do so, then I will include a reference to my client in the byline so that your readers can find out more if they wish.

Does this sound like something you would be interested in?

I look forwards to hearing from you.

All the best,
Anna Cleanthous

  Anna Cleanthous May 26, 2012 8:09 PM

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.