Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

Travel Writing Scholarship 2012 - Southeast Asia

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 20 February 2012 | Views [290369] | Comments [155]

APPLICATIONS NOW CLOSED! Entries close April 23rd, 2012 at 2pm AEST (UTC +10).

Do you want to be a published travel writer?

This year we decided to shake things up a bit and instead of choosing just one country for our scholarship…we’ve decided to send you off to three different countries in Southeast Asia! Once on the ground, you’ll have the opportunity to see for yourself life beyond the banana pancake trail, and get to know Southeast Asia from the local perspectives, through the eyes of three amazing writers.

 

Here's the triple-dip deal:

First you'll head off to Singapore to go on assignment for five days under the mentorship of Rough Guides writer Richard Lim to review and update 'The Rough Guide to Singapore'.

Then you'll fly to Bali and meet up with Stuart McDonald, founder of Travelfish, the online travel guide to Southeast Asia, before heading off on six days of cultural insight and adventure in Indonesia.

For the last leg of the scholarship, you will be whisked off to Malaysia for a food odyssey through Kuala Lumpur and Penang with former local and cookbook author of award winning hsa*ba Burmese cookbook, Tin Cho Chaw, to explore how cuisine shapes the lives of Malaysians.

Important Dates

 

**You need to be available between June 18th - July 6th, 2012 to participate on the assignment.**

 

 

April 23    Submission deadline  

April 24-May 11    Judging preliminary shortlist

May 11-16    Finalists shortlist

May 17    Winner confirmed and announced 

May 17-June 17    Trip preparation

June 18     Arrive in Singapore

June 19-20    Meet Richard Lim - Singapore, shadow for two days 

June 21-22    Solo assignment for two days

June 23    Meet up with Richard, feedback on assignment etc. 

June 24-30    Indonesia: Culture & Adventure

July 1-July 5   Malaysia: Food Odyssey

July 6    Depart

August 20    Copy deadline

 

 

 

Singapore:  On assignment with Rough Guides

Photo courtesy of Rough Guides

Your Rough Guides brief

* We'll fly you to Singapore from your country of residence. 

* After spending two days learning the ropes with mentor Richard Lim, you will have a chance to explore this bustling, progressive city for two days on your own. In this time, you will research, review and update essential travel information for 'The Rough Guide to Singapore', including accommodation, bars & restaurants, cultural sights and activities, tours, and transport, as well as searching out those local secrets that travellers want to read about. On your final day, you will meet back up with Richard to go over your work together.

* Your mentor will be at hand to offer guidance, but essentially this is your assignment; you will travel on your own for this part of the journey so you must be comfortable travelling solo. Richard will assign you a specific area based on your travel experience.

* Your work will feature in the new edition of 'The Rough Guide to Singapore', placing your foot firmly in the door of the elusive travel writing industry!

Photo courtesy of Rough Guides

Mentor, Richard Lim

Find out more about what you can expect from your Rough Guides mentorship.

Read an interview with Richard Lim about life as a travel writer.

Indonesia: Culture & Adventure

 

Photo courtesy of Emanuele Siracusa

Explore a whole different side of Bali. Venture off the grid to the remote village of Sidemen - live like the locals live, experience firsthand their coconut and salt industries and delve into the Balinese belief in "black magic" (need a hex on your ex? you're in the right place).

To get your blood pumping, you'll then hike up to the top of Gunung Agung, an active volcano, and the highest point on the island, followed up with a refreshing dip in the surf, with lessons at a surf camp in West Bali (yes...you must be comfortable in the water!).

You'll also have some free time to explore on your own and to sit down with Stuart of Travelfish to pick his brain about online publishing in the travel space.

 

Photo courtesy of Travelfish

 

Malaysia: Food Odyssey

 

Photo courtesy of hsa*ba

Malaysian cuisine is comprised of three distinct cultures: Indian, Malay and Chinese - and the fusion recipes that make it so uniquely Malaysian. On this portion of your scholarship journey, you will be sampling it all, and learning about the process, stories and people behind the famous dishes (picky eaters, you've been warned!).

 

 

You will meet up with Cho of hsa*ba (with a blog that translates into "please eat", bring an empty stomach) in Kuala Lumpur and eat your way around the night markets before checking out the KL fine dining scene. You will also join a local food blogger and her Makan Club for a typical night out in Kuala Lumpur to experience what's happening in KL's food scene.

Finally, head up to Penang, the renowned food mecca of Malaysia. You'll get a hands-on cooking lesson and learn how to plate up some of your favorite dishes, wander through the endless wet market stalls on a food tour with Eating Asia, and visit a durian plantation (to sample the delicacies, of course!).

Photo courtesy of hsa*ba

What you'll need to produce

Along with your work on the 'Rough Guide to Singapore', you will be required to keep a daily travel journal on WorldNomads.com (no less than 200 words per daily entry) to share your adventures through Southeast Asia. Your journal should be completed no later than two weeks from returning from your trip.

Who can apply

* This opportunity is open to students, emerging and non-professional writers and lovers of travel looking for a career change.

* The scholarship is open to all nationalities, however, you must have a high degree of proficiency in written English.

* The opportunity is designed to give you a taste of what it's like to be a travel writer on the road, so you must be comfortable doing some travel on your own.

* Minimum age 18 by the date the scholarship application close (April 23, 2012)

* A current passport with at least six months before expiry

* You must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in anyway, you must be available for the entire assignment.

* You should be an exceptional writer with a lust for adventure travel, a desire to experience new cultures (and eat them!)and above all, a burning desire to become a professional travel writer!

Watch our video for more eligibility information and application tips!

What constitutes a professional travel writer?

Essentially this is a 'learning opportunity' for someone who is looking for an introduction into the travel writing industry and importantly keen to be mentored.

As a guide, for the purposes of the opportunity, we would consider you to be professional travel writer if you have been published regularly in newspapers, travel magazines or travel journals. We would also consider you to be a professional travel writer if you derive more than 25% of your income from travel writing.

If you have had a few stories published, or keep a regular travel blog then we would not consider this professional.

We would also like to further clarify that a professional writer of any sort (travel writer or otherwise) is not eligible to apply if they derive more than 25% of their income from writing.

Please consider the spirit of the program which is intended to help those with a burning desire to be a professional travel writer and need some help getting started.

Apply now

If you want it, you've got to show it. To apply you need to:

1. Write. Craft a 2000 character or less (this includes spaces) travel focused essay based on a personal experience around one of the following themes;

a. 'Understanding a Culture through Food'

b. 'A Local Encounter that Changed my Life'

c. 'Seeing the World through Others Eyes'

d. 'Giving Back on the Road'

It's up to you to convince our judging panel through your writing that you have the spirit of adventure and passion for travel writing to be chosen for this scholarship. We will be looking for:

- great descriptive ability
- strong eye for detail
- ability to uncover and tell a compelling story
- excellent spelling and grammar and a knack for avoiding clichés

Check out our video blog with Rough Guide editor Clare Currie for some writing tips.

2. Complete an entry form which includes contact details and a maximum 800 character essay on why you should be chosen and what the opportunity will mean for you. Your answer will provide considerable weight in the judging process.

3. One entry per person.

4. The entry must be submitted in English.

 

-->

Applications close April 23, 2012 at 2pm (AEST)

 

CONDITIONS OF ENTRY - Please read before applying!

Click to read the terms and conditions of this scholarship

 

The recipient of the Scholarship, along with the shortlist of best entries will be published on the WorldNomads.com website on May 17th, 2012.

Read the winning and best entries from our 2011 Travel Writing Scholarship

Got a question? Check out the FAQ video blog.

 

 

   

Related Articles:

Travel. Learn. Create.

For all of you aspiring creatives, check out our Scholarships page and sign up to hear about our latest opportunities, tips, advice and interviews with industry professionals in the fields of photography, travel writing and filmmaking.

And if you're lucky enough to be mentored by one of our industry professionals, it could kick start your career!

About WorldNomads.com

WorldNomads.com keeps you travelling safely.  Whether you’re off for a long weekend, looking for the ultimate adventure or living the nomadic dream, you’ll stay safe with Travel Insurance you can buy online, anytime, and the latest travel safety advice. Learn how to flirt in over 25 languages with our free language guides and have an experience of a lifetime on a travel scholarship. We'll also help you share your journey with a free travel blog, get answers from other nomads to all of your travel questions (try the new 'Ask A Nomad' iPad app) and donate to a local community development project through our Footprints program.  

WorldNomads.com - an essential part of every adventurous traveller's journey.

 

Comments

1

In the conditions of entry page:
8. The scholarship recipient must work with the mentor Richard Lim, and under his direction, review and update local travel information in Istanbul such as accommodation, transport, bars & restaurants, entertainment, shopping, tours & activities. All relevant writing must be submitted to Richard Lim for review and possible editing no later than August 20, 2012. Some or all parts of the work submitted may be published in the 2013 "The Rough Guide to Singapore" where the Scholarship recipient will be duely credited.

Is there something I missed about Istanbul being part of the program or is it a typing mistake?

  Mina Mahrous Feb 22, 2012 11:11 PM

2

Hi Mina - good catch! Istanbul is actually our destination from last year, I've just updated it to the correct city of Singapore.

Alicia

  scholarships Feb 23, 2012 8:59 AM

3

Wooow.. I would love to join but I know I'm not an exceptional writer. LOL..rawr!

  Gay Aida | Exotic Philippines Feb 23, 2012 3:20 PM

4

thanks shairing

  alex Feb 26, 2012 7:00 PM

5

I have never been so disappointed to be a marginally successful (ie I earn more than 25% of my income) freelance writer. I want this SO bad.

  Britt Reints Feb 28, 2012 12:55 PM

6

What an amazing contest. I'm so disappointed that I can't enter, write for a small newspaper full-time, because I've always wanted an opportunity like this : ( Good luck to everyone that can, I'm so jealous.

  Lesley Feb 29, 2012 7:14 AM

7

This is the sort of thing that makes you hopeful for a split second before reality catches up and you realize there's got to be hundreds of exceptional writers who would probably be chosen instead of you.

*sigh

  Liquid Druid Feb 29, 2012 10:31 AM

8

I wanted to join this so bad. But my dream of becoming a lawyer is bigger than becoming a proffessional Travel Writer. I hope to join your next contest :)

  Krizzy Mar 1, 2012 1:31 PM

9

In response to Liquid Druid, yes I'm sure that when we come to judge the entries it will be a bit of a lottery, but I wouldn't be put off by the thought that there must be loads of superb writers out there jostling to win. Speaking as a copy editor, I can tell you there are plenty of big-name writers out there whose raw copy is either in fairly poor shape grammatically or is littered with factual errors. And speaking personally, what I look for in writing is a mixture of interesting turns of phrase and original, thought-provoking observations. Quite a few people can do one or the other but not both. So I wouldn't make assumptions about how good your rivals might - focus on what you know you can do, and good luck.

  Richard Lim Mar 4, 2012 8:38 PM

10

Alicia and Team,
What is more important, the number of characters or the number of words? In my previous (futile) submission attempts, I've always focused on the word count, not the number of characters. I must use monolithically large words, because I'm under 500 words currently but WAY over in the character count.

Suggestions?

Chris

  Chris Knight Mar 5, 2012 3:41 AM

11

Hi Chris,

For the submissions this year, we are counting the number of characters, not words. The entry form will automatically cut you off at 2000 characters, so please make sure that your applications fits into this criteria.

Good luck!
Alicia

  scholarships Mar 5, 2012 9:19 AM

12

As researcher and student learning Japanese language and culture and also with a passion for traveling,is this scholarship only available to current students of Curtin University(fingers crossed)?

Hi Obende, this scholarship is worldwide, open to aspiring travel writers of any nationality from anywhere. - Alicia

  obende Mar 7, 2012 10:59 AM

13

Will the character count include spaces?

  Valerie Stewart Mar 7, 2012 7:29 PM

14

Wow... That's nice... I love writing but I hope to have a chance to share something about local experience that change my life even those people I met and shared with that inspire me in my life journey and profession...

  Ivy Yecyec Mar 7, 2012 11:57 PM

15

Can I join if I live in Singapore?

  CW Mar 8, 2012 1:39 PM

16

Valerie - The character count does include spaces.

CW - Yes, of course you are welcome to apply.

Good luck!
Alicia

  scholarships Mar 8, 2012 1:48 PM

17

did i just miss it, or was there no mention of how to submit the entry? is it via snail mail or email? any required format (i.e. font type, font size, spacing)? ... thanks.

Hi Aida, just click the orange "Apply Now" button at the bottom of the post and it will direct you to the application page and details. - Alicia

  aida Mar 8, 2012 4:01 PM

18

I plan to be on holiday in my home country during the trip dates. If I won, would I be flown from there or would I have to cut my trip short and return to my country of residence for June 18 (or before)?

  Jenn Mar 8, 2012 6:37 PM

19

I work as a freelance scriptwriter for a video production company in South Africa which accounts for most of my income, but don't earn any income from publishing in print or online - does this disqualify me as a professional writer? Travel writing has always been something I'd love to do but not known where to start and this looks like an amazing opportunity..
Hoping I can enter!

  Andy K Mar 9, 2012 5:01 AM

20

I LIKE IT

  SHAHID Mar 9, 2012 6:37 AM

21

Jenn - Yes, we could fly you from your holiday destination if you won.

Andy - Unfortunately, you do write for a living as a freelance scriptwriter, so you are ineligible.

  scholarships Mar 9, 2012 11:16 AM

22

So, to clarify "professional writers" - anybody who makes a living by writing is ineligible for this contest? Scriptwriters, journalists etc.? Even if they are retired or freelance?

  Priyanko Sarkar Mar 10, 2012 6:08 AM

23

Hi there,

I'm currently working as a travel writing intern - my expenses are my only income (therefore over 25%) but I wouldn't say it was a sustainable income. I'm not sure if I'm eligible to apply?

Thanks, Emma Sparks

  Emma Sparks Mar 10, 2012 10:34 PM

24

I hope you'll also come up with something similar intended for professional writers. It'll be a good way to pump up our creative juices!

Good luck to all those who are joining! :)

  Maia Mar 11, 2012 2:01 PM

25

Priyanko, yes anyone that makes a living by writing is ineligible for the scholarship. We want this opportunity to be a platform for someone looking to break into the writing industry.

Emma, you are eligible to apply as you are currently in an internship position and not a paid writing professional.

Maia, thanks for the suggestion, we'll keep it in mind for future opportunities.

Thanks!
Alicia

  scholarships Mar 12, 2012 10:36 AM

26

I write Web content for a living. I love my job, until this. First time in my entire career that I wish I wasn't a professional (in your terms) writer. :'(

  Nicole Mar 13, 2012 3:34 AM

27

Please change the character count into word count. It is not fair. My essay has less than 500 words; yet due to your character count it exceeds the limit. So then it is a crime to use long words here???...

Hi there, sorry for your frustration, but we are sticking to the character count for submissions this year. Just aim for under 2000 characters, and make those long words count! - Alicia

  Frustrated Mar 14, 2012 6:12 AM

28

Hi there, my question has been answered above, but I just wanted to add that I too am stuck with 2000 characters versus 500 words. I have slogged and shaped my story for 500 words to find, now, I am well and truly over. It might be worth changing that on the entry details as 2000 characters is definitely not 'about 500 words'.

  Hen Mar 14, 2012 9:49 AM

29

oh my goodness i was so excited when i saw this advertisement but was soon equally disappointed when it's not opened to "professional writers" Ah gutted! i work as a reporter, so obviously im deriving more than 25 percent of my income from writing...

  Mikayla Mar 14, 2012 2:19 PM

30

My text is under 2000 characters (1985!!!) and I cannot apply, you keep on telling me that I have to send less than 2000. But it is less!!!

  Jeanina Mar 14, 2012 11:31 PM

31

I am having the same problem above. :(((((((((((((((((((((((

  Dori Mar 15, 2012 2:33 AM

32

Hi,

I am working as a sub-editor for a news website for 8 months now. My work involves editing correspondents' copies and giving them good catchy headlines.

My real passion leans towards travel writing and I see this as a very good platform to break in. Can I pitch in, please?

  Richa Mar 15, 2012 3:54 AM

33

Hen - I have changed the text so that it is now clearer that we are looking for a maximum of 2000 characters, as measured by our application form.

Jeanina and Dori - Are your character counts including spaces? The 2000 character max on the application counts spaces and line breaks.

Thanks,
Alicia

  scholarships Mar 15, 2012 10:43 AM

34

I've checked on my computer and says me I have 1985 characters. Not in the last!, when I post it on your space, the text doesn't look like before, at the end of each line appear spaces in addition that cannot be erased so, it is not my fault. I would like you to change this restriction to the numbers of words or to characters (without spaces), otherwise you will not read the best writings, (I am sure my text it is one of them), but I cannot compromise it so badly, it took me an entire week to cut and cut from it, anyway! I am sorry, it has no charm anymore so short and doesn't represent me.

  Jeanina Mar 15, 2012 8:27 PM

35

How does being a vegetarian affect eligibility? (I'm asking this because of the food trip in KL)

  KenshoCoast Mar 15, 2012 11:00 PM

36

I am going to college in the fall, and am leaning towards education, but I did journalism for four years, and have traveled my whole life, and being a travel writer was something that has become less of an option, but is still a possibility, and this trip is something that I would love to do, having lived in Malaysia for two and a half years and wanting to go back to that part of the world and record my journey so badly. Would it be unfair for me to apply? (Granted, I probably still will anyways, and will be sure to include all of this in my application, but I would like some feedback first, so I can know whether or not to get my hopes up...). Also, how much would personal expenses be, approximately?

  amme Mar 16, 2012 7:13 AM

37

Jeanina - We are not able to change the character count. As a writer, you will always be given a brief, with certain parameters, including character or word count - which you must write to. This year, we went with a character count, because in the past, people were not adhering to a word count - and had to be disqualified due to excess words.

Kensho - Being a vegetarian does not affect your eligibility, but will affect your experience in Malaysia - as many dishes may be meat centric.

Amme - Of course you can apply, as long as you are not currently a professional writer. It does not matter than you have lived in Malaysia before. Personal expenses will be quite minimal as the scholarship winner with be given a daily stipend in addition to flights, activities and accommodation.

Thanks,
Alicia

  scholarships Mar 16, 2012 10:21 AM

38

Hello Alicia,

I've been doing freelance writing and copywriting but the income I get that is minimal and definitely less than 25%, would I be eligible to join this competition still?

Regards,
Benjamin

Hi Benjamin, yes, you would be eligible if you writing is not your main source of income (less than 25%). - Alicia

  Benjamin Loh Mar 16, 2012 12:32 PM

39

My 2nd comment has been deleted. Why?

  Dori Mar 16, 2012 11:22 PM

40

hi alicia... i am a civil servant, but my biggest passion, my dream, has always been in the writing industry. am i eligible to join? this contest is so tempting :D
anyway, if and only if, i manage to win this, will i be getting any opportunity to enter the realm of professional (travel) writer, getting some seat in the publishing world, thus i will not be queasy to quit my duty as civil servant--living up my dream?

  yapuri Mar 16, 2012 11:35 PM

41

Hi Alicia,
If I will be 18 by June 7, 2012, can I apply for this scholarship? This is such an amazing opportunity and I am just a month and a half away :(

  Haley Mar 17, 2012 2:13 AM

42

Hi Alicia!
My work position is as an art researcher, but I don't get to publish or write anything. I work only as a link between the external researchers and the information within the collection I work for. Am I eligible for the scholarship?

  Dyan Mar 17, 2012 7:41 AM

43

Also, does the May 17-June 17 "Trip Preparation" require the winner's presence in a certain place, for that month?

  Amme Mar 17, 2012 7:47 AM

44

just to get it clear then... Would the winner of the scholarship have to give the meat centric cousine a try as part of the assignment, even if a vegetarian?

  KenshoCoast Mar 17, 2012 8:45 AM

45

Yapuri - You should be eligible to apply as long as you do not earn more than 25% of your income from writing.

Haley - Thanks for your interest, but you must be 18 by April 23, 2012. Keep this opportunity in mind for next year!

Dylan - Yes, you can apply if you do not write anything in your position.

Amme - The trip preparation only involves booking flights, visas and accommodation on our end. You simply need to be available to speak with us regarding these details in that time.

Kensho - You would not be required to eat meat.

Alicia

  scholarships Mar 19, 2012 9:23 AM

46

Can I publish the story on my blog as I submit it for the contest or the story should not be published anywhere? I plan to have a longer version of it on my blog that will be quite similar to the story I will submit. Will that disqualify me?

As far as I understood you are looking for a story balanced between description of a place and personal experience?

Oh, and can I submit more than one story?

Hi Anna, you are able to submit only one entry. You must submit this entry through the application page (click the orange "apply now" button). However, you are able to post it to your own blog as well if you like. - Alicia

  Anna Mar 21, 2012 11:24 AM

47

its my dream! i'll try this, i'll do my best :)

  intan pertiwi Mar 21, 2012 3:05 PM

48

I'm so interested with this opportunity, but I'm going to publish my book this month, about pop culture though. Not about travel, is that ok to join this?

Hesti - it sounds like you are a professional writer, which would make you ineligible to apply. - Alicia

  Hesti Nurhayati Mar 22, 2012 4:12 PM

49

I am an editor for a publishing house by profession. Can I apply?

Hi Diya - providing you are not writing as part of your paid role as a editor, you can apply. - Alicia

  Diya Mar 22, 2012 8:38 PM

50

hello Alicia,
i'm a student college from indonesia.i haven't any pasport yet.am i eligible to apply?

Amel - You are eligible to apply, but will need valid a passport before June 18th, should be you be chosen as the winner.

  Amel Mar 23, 2012 1:03 PM

51

Hi ! I'm so interested to apply this scholarship. Anyway, would you like to share us more detail of the accomodation, like the transportation,certificate,etc? Thanks a bunch! :)

  tristi Mar 23, 2012 7:50 PM

52

Hello! I really impress to particiate this scholarship and its really great & Valuable.

  Mukta Roraman (Muktaro Rahman) Mar 23, 2012 8:53 PM

53

Hi - got so excited seeing this opportunity, but as I make more than 25% of my income as a business and freelance writer it seems I'm disqualified from the chance to follow my passion as a travel writer. Any opportunities coming up in the future for writers looking to break into travel writing?

  andrea Mar 24, 2012 12:09 AM

54

Its wonderful n chalengig

  iqbal Mar 24, 2012 4:15 AM

55

Hi, i am Soumitra Sadhukhan.....i am currently student....my subject-Mathematics......but i am very interest for travel.....i think TRAVELLING IS A PART OF EDUCATION....BOOK CAN GIVE US ONLY BOOKISH KNOWLEDGE...BUT WHEN WE TRAVEL & SEE OWN EYES....NOW MY BOOK CONCEPT IS TRUE.

  Soumitra Sadhukhan Mar 24, 2012 5:32 AM

56

hi i am shoaib channa country pakistan .. i am ccurrently student ... B. A part 1 mu i am very interest travel but travelling is a part o f education and job ...

  shoaib channa Mar 24, 2012 7:04 AM

57

This is exciting! I've left my job last year for a change and to pursue a life of passion. I've been traveling for 6 months now and have started a travel blog to share all the inspirations from my journey. Although I think I'm a good observer on the road, I'm not sure if my writing skills is good enough to become pro. Is there a particular writing style that you guys are looking for?

  vickie Mar 24, 2012 12:19 PM

58

Hi Alicia,

I am very interested in this offer, however until the June 30 I am undertaking an internship in Delhi. I have been to South East Asia and I absolutely love it! Especially Malaysia and I think this is a great opportunity, so I would like to ask you whether, there will be similar scholarship offered again.

Thank you very much!
Lukas

  Lukas Mar 24, 2012 11:23 PM

59

it was mentioned that "Craft a 2000 character or less (about 500 words) " for the essay. i have questions about it:

1. does this include the spaces?
2. does this mean sending an essay which is 2,000 + characters is AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFIED?
3. not to down the 2011 winner essay but how come it was accdg to ms word have:
495 words
characters (no spaces) 2,375
characters (with spaces) 2,868

please enlighten us.

thanks
Mona

  Mona B Mar 25, 2012 1:37 AM

60

hi Alicia, am Abinash frm India. I just completed my UG in media studies. I always wanted to travel a lot. Wanted to become a travel writer but i dont know were to strt n how to strt.. Hope this would be a perfect platform for me to start my carrier as a travel writer. but i dont own any big blogs. am i eligible to apply?

Abinash - You do not need to have a big blog to apply. If you fit all of the other criteria a mentioned above, you are eligible to apply. -Alicia

  abinash Mar 25, 2012 3:16 PM

61

Tristi - The winner will be staying at hotels and guesthouses during the trip, and the transportation (cars, taxis, public transport) will be included. Details to come.

Andrea - We are taking this into consideration and will keep it in mind for future opportunities.

Vickie - We are not looking for one particular writing style. Have a read through the criteria above under the "apply now" section and check out the tips from the Rough Guides editor in this video: http://bit.ly/H5rFmJ

Lukas - We do offer a Travel Writing Scholarship every year to a different destination. Sign up to our mailing list to stay updated on future opportunities - http://scholarships.worldnomads.com/

Mona - Last year we had a word count and not a character count, so in 2011 you could not exceed a 500 word limit. This year we are working with a character count which does include spaces. If you exceed 2000 characters you will be automatically disqualified. All writers must be able to write to a brief (both now and on assignment).

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships Mar 26, 2012 9:12 AM

62

This is the ultimate challenge! How to show my writing prowess and share a brilliant story in less than 400 words? IMPOSSIBRU!

  Audrey Mar 26, 2012 4:33 PM

63

Hi! I am an Indonesian and I'm happy to read this news. I want to ask, "how many people will be selected to be part of travel scholarship 2012?"
Thanks. Wish me luck :))

Noval - Only one person will be selected as the winner of the 2012 Travel Writing Scholarship. - Alicia

  Noval K Mar 26, 2012 8:41 PM

64

Have i missed the date ? :(

Amit - You have not missed the date. Entries close on April 23rd. - Alicia

  AMIT Mar 27, 2012 3:37 PM

65

I would asy you about the theme. The theme is giving back to the road that special talking about what???

  nana25 Mar 27, 2012 4:41 PM

66

If I published a book but I didn't earn money on it, I only offered it, it means I cannot apply?

  Georgia Mar 27, 2012 8:52 PM

67

How many winners are granted the opportunity? Can i apply from Kenya,Africa? Regards!

  shem Mar 28, 2012 8:00 PM

68

Are social security benefits considered income? This changes the percentage of my income from writing.

  Valerie Mar 28, 2012 9:35 PM

69

Oh my... two thousand characters, really? Really? I'm sorry, but whoever made the decision to stipulate such an ambiguous, poorly explained criteria needs to be sent to a North Korean work camp quick smart. There is no way in hell you can judge the quality of a writer in such a short format, especially not for something like travel writing which is by necessity heavy on colourful description. Do yourself and everyone trying to enter this a favour and change your entry criteria to word count - at least! Whoever came up with this brain numbingly idiotic idea ought to do a little research on writing competitions. As an active screenwriter, who has won competitions, I can honestly say I have never in my life seen a 'character count' rule, and I've never heard such a lame excuse as 'people didn't adhere to the 500 word count so we decided to change it to character count'. In this business, when writers don't play by the rules, we have an 'outbox' for their misguided efforts also know as a RUBBISH BIN. I'm sorry that you think it too much of a hassle to use the rubbish bin, but think it perfectly OK to get all these lovely people here counting their 2000 characters before making an application. Poor show, and very unprofessional.

  Dr. Grrr Mar 29, 2012 12:35 AM

70

People should stop complaining about character counts. If any of you are seriously considering a career in print, television or radio you should respect the character count criteria. If you're producing tv content and your producer says 3 minute piece, you give them 3minutes. Not 3minute 10seconds, they mean 3minutes. If you're producing a 30second radio piece, then stick to the limit. There really may be no air time for your extra 5seconds. The same applies to print- traditional and online. Headlines, content, captions - those all have character limits. Man up.

  V Mar 29, 2012 11:13 AM

71

Georgia - If you did not make an income from the book, you are eligible to apply.

Valerie - Social security would not be considered income, we are only looking at regular employment.

Dr. Grrr - I am sorry for your frustration. Calculating a word count or a character count can be done in the exact same manner - by popping your text into a Word document. As you can appreciate, the 2000 character limit is the parameter that we chose to set and are sticking with. There are many writers who are up to this challenge and who are fulfilling the brief, as you can see by the applications. As V points out above, we are not the first or only ones to set specific criteria. If you can't respect this, you are not being forced to apply.

Alicia

  scholarships Mar 29, 2012 11:28 AM

72

I was not planning on applying, my frustration is not for myself, it's for other would-be writers who have to put up with unprofessional and needlessly frustrating acceptance criteria. Next year, I implore you to see sense, play the game properly, and make some sensible changes. It's not that you're making it difficult for people - difficult is good -, it's as if you're trying to sabotage your own mission. You cannot make an informed decision on a person's ability to write in this format with the low word count you have stipulated, and you shouldn't be asking people to adhere to two thousand character limits just because you're too lazy to toss those over-worded entries to the trash. I certainly wish everyone who enters this the best of luck, but please don't be upset when you don't win this competition. I'd say It's more a lottery than a competition, at this stage.

That is all.

  Dr. Grrr Mar 29, 2012 6:15 PM

73

Dr. Grrr, I disagree. The one who will be able to write a good story, respecting this 2000 character limit, must be a very good writer. Not everybody is able to do it - the controversy here is the proof - and it has nothing to do with luck.

  Lu Mar 29, 2012 10:07 PM

74

Can editors apply who are not making 25% through writing?

  Anne Mar 30, 2012 4:15 AM

75

For all you whiners, either buck up or back out. This contest could even stand to lose a few more characters--particularly the puerile ones.

Also, well said, Lu. I'd wish you luck, but I'd rather not insult you. May the most skilled win.

  Annie Mar 31, 2012 2:33 AM

76

Hey Alicia,

Got a question regarding this theme-

'A Local Encounter that Changed my Life'.

Does "local" mean specifically our hometown? Suppose we lived abroad for a few years and had a life changing encounter there, does it count?

Thank You

  Odyssey Apr 1, 2012 9:01 PM

77

Anne - Yes, if writing is not more than 25% of your role and income.

Odyssey - "Local" can mean your hometown or anywhere in the world where you connected with locals - so to answer your question, yes you can submit your local life changing encounter from abroad.

Alicia

  scholarships Apr 2, 2012 9:40 AM

78

i was freelance research reporter before in our local tv network using local dialect and a secretariat member of an NGO, i have opportunities to contribute in the magazine. Can i still join ?

  coian Apr 3, 2012 1:45 AM

79

Alicia,

Yellow is a highly unlucky color for me -- especially dark yellow -- so I was wondering if you or Claire could possibly change the 'Apply Now' button to a luckier, more approachable shade. I was thinking maybe a fuchsia or tawny brown would be better for all involved. Thoughts?

Also, the four themes listed don't really work for my story. Can you possibly add another one entitled "I'm Not High Maintenance, You Are!" to the challenge?

Finally, I made 24.987% of my income in 2008 from writing but that was after child support, restraining order(s), rehab and other miscellaneous expenses were taken into account. Am I still eligible?

Oooh, and I'm on a strict diet solely consisting of warm kittens. Talk amongst yourselves and get back to me on whether I'm still a candidate.

Best,
C

  Chris Apr 3, 2012 3:12 PM

80

Alicia--

Do you know if special characters (such as letters with accent marks) will show up without problems once the entry is submitted? It appears fine when I paste my entry in the field, but sometimes submissions alter the way an entry looks. Thanks.

  Annie Apr 3, 2012 10:58 PM

81

Alicia,

What about those who have applied for writing jobs? Those not yet sure whether or not we will get it or when we will start IF we get it? Can we apply if we currently are not earning via a writing job?

  Angela Apr 3, 2012 11:26 PM

82

Hi! Based from everything that I've read (comments and all), I seem to be considered as a professional writer. When I first joined, I thought I wasn't considered as one since the rules had to exclude those who already had published travel pieces. I'm actually a freelance writer focusing on a different niche, and I basically get 100% of my income from this job. Now, I already passed my contest contribution.. And I am sad to ask, how do I delete my entry? All along I thought I was still eligible. =(

  Budget Biyahera Apr 4, 2012 3:38 AM

83

Coian - If you are or have been a professional writer and made/make more than 25% of your income from writing you are ineligible.

Chris - There is a warm kitten pie with your name on it, as a reward for best scholarship comment thus far :)

Annie - You best bet would be to put your text into a plain text document and the copy it into the application form. Once you have submitted, have a look at your entry - if anything is askew, you can go back in and edit it.

Angela - Yes you can enter if you do not have the job yet. If circumstances change, check back in.

Budget Biyahera - Email me your Journal username and I can remove your entry - alicia@worldnomads.com.

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships Apr 4, 2012 11:49 AM

84

Chris, gosh you cracked me up! Bloody brilliant!

  Krystal Apr 4, 2012 3:43 PM

85

Hi,

Once an entry submitted, is it allowed to still edit the text if we notice a spelling error, for example? Thanks.

Hi Lu - You are able to log back into your journal and edit your story, up until the deadline. Just make sure not to go over the character limit! - Alicia

  Lu Apr 5, 2012 2:57 AM

86

Hi, can 'A Local Encounter that Changed my Life' be about something that happened more between two people than about places or experiences that others could have for themselves?
Does it matter if no one else will be able to travel there and experience something similar?
Thanks!

  David Apr 5, 2012 12:57 PM

87

Hey Alicia,

In addition to the topic given do we also have to add a title of our own for our story? The previous years had individual titles given by each contestant so not sure whether or not we should include our own title as well.

Thanks!

  Leena Apr 5, 2012 5:22 PM

88

I would like to be informed of some aspects of this application:
. The 3 countries considered: can I propose a project that include 3 SEAsian countries?
. May I propose the time needed for this explorations, or there is a limit for how long the scholarship takes place?
. I should send a text about one of your 4 themes and add to it a cover letter that states my intentions to the project, is this right?

Thank you for your reply,

Leonor

  Leonor Veiga Apr 5, 2012 6:30 PM

89

Is it 100% scholarship or some of the amount will be paid by the winners ?

  Atif Apr 6, 2012 3:56 AM

90

Hello there, I'm an intern at a monthly newsmagazine - and get paid a small amount each month (£150 equivalent). Please tell me I'm eligible!

  Aaliya Apr 6, 2012 4:05 AM

91

Hello. I have 2 questions:
From what I understand the accommodation is not provided for Singapore or?
Taking into account the Food Odyssey can you be vegetarian and still participate?

Thanks

  Luiza Apr 6, 2012 4:29 AM

92

I have never been so disappointed to be 17. I hope I have similar opportunities next year!

  Suchi Apr 8, 2012 7:56 AM

93

Hi Ms. Alicia! It has always been my dream to be a travel writer. However, my current job descriptions include editing press releases and writing advertorials for a newspaper. Am I still eligible to join? Thank you!

  Jo Apr 8, 2012 2:40 PM

94

thanks for this amazing information......................

  lamisha Apr 9, 2012 6:09 AM

95

Hi Alicia,

Does the personal essay count include spaces as well?

Thanks,

Georgia

  Georgia Apr 10, 2012 8:55 AM

96

David - It is open to your interpretation, and no it does not have to be about something that anyone can experience.

Leena - A title is optional, you are welcome to include one if you like. All entries are labeled with your chosen theme.

Leonor - Please carefully reread the application page. The scholarship assignment is set locations and dates as outlined above. To apply you do not need a cover letter, just click the orange "Apply Now" button and submit your details and entry.

Atif - All accommodation, activity and flight costs will be covered, and you will receive a daily stipend for food and local transport. Any additional costs over and above (i.e. souvenirs, other activities, etc.) are your own. Please refer to the Conditions of Entry for full details.

Aaliya - As you are not a professional, you may apply.

Luiza - Accommodation in Singapore will be provided. As for you vegetarian question, please refer to comments #35 & #37 and #44 & #45.

Suchi - Yes, there will be another travel writing scholarship opportunity next year. Check back in with us or sign up to the mailing list to receive updates - http://scholarships.worldnomads.com.

Jo - If more than 25% of your job involves writing professionally, then you are ineligible. If you are mostly editing, you are eligible.

Georgia - Yes, 2000 characters does include spaces.

Everyone, before posting your comment or question, please carefully read through the existing comments and questions, as your query may have already been addressed above.

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships Apr 10, 2012 10:06 AM

97

I want to take this

  kesbav baral Apr 10, 2012 1:20 PM

98

Please pick me! I need a career change.

  Stephanie De Iulio Apr 10, 2012 2:51 PM

99

Chris and Alicia,

Firstly, Chris, my runes told me some time ago that dark yellow is tremendously beneficial to the inner chi. The Sree Bhatnagorgaramshi ashram uses yellow ochre for all its correspondence. You need to get out more. Perhaps travel a bit?

I am surprised that someone with such a large portion of their income derived from the written word (presumably the bulk of it coming from gun-running) should have bothered Alicia with this trivia. The poor girl must have more urgent things on her mind.

Like fonts. Alicia, if you could see your way to changing the entire WorldNomads template to comic sans? It has such an informal and unthreatening personality. Lots of smileys and plenty of exclamation marks would be good too!!!!!! ;-)

You still (this is directed at Alicia, by the way, but do feel free to chip in, Chris) have not quite clarified the issue of "professional writer". So many of the on-line articles I read nowadays seem to have been written by unprofessional writers...

I'm looking forward to the awards ceremony with downright glee, and have already started on the flamingo diet in order to make room for heaps of nibbles and vats of champagne.

Bestest,

Liz

  itinerantwriter Apr 10, 2012 10:37 PM

100

I was trying to figure out who Chris was, so I read the previous entries and I must say that that kitten comment is one of the funniest things I've read all year. Well done!

  Kathryn Apr 11, 2012 3:38 PM

101

I want to join but I don't have a laptop to use in submitting my daily travel diary online.
---
So my question is: is it a requirement that an applicant should at least have his own laptop or you're going to provide us something to use?

  Ed Phils Apr 11, 2012 6:36 PM

102

Alicia,

I just had a question about the theme "a local encounter that changed my life". Does this ''encounter'' have to be with a person? Or can it also be a situation, a place or circumstance?

Also does "change my life'' mean a drastic change or can it just be a change in perspective/outlook, a lesson learned or a new direction?

Thanks

Saman

  Saman Apr 11, 2012 9:22 PM

103

Dear reader,

Is it an essay you are looking for or a piece that could possibly be published in the travelguides? I am struggling on this part. As I see a big difference between the two!

Thanks

  Melanie Apr 11, 2012 11:27 PM

104

Hi Alicia and Team!

I am so glad to see this kind of opportunities in the world of traveling writers. So I was thinking that would be better if you categorize people according to their native languages, because everybody that is not a native speaker of english has a huge disadvantage in relation to whom they are. It's not the same an excellent foreign speaker of english as an excellent native speaker of english. I do not know really if I can compete with someone that writes and reads in english since preschool. On the other hand, the criteria are too wide so probability is like the chance you have to win the lottery. Maybe for future announcements.

Regards!

  Lina María Romero Apr 12, 2012 1:59 AM

105

I'm a student currently studying Journalism and I work part-time (between 5 and 10 hours a week) at a local radio station. Most of my job is speaking and building newscasts, not writing. Would this make me ineligable? just double-checking!

  Stephanie Apr 12, 2012 3:09 AM

106

Ed - You do not need a laptop, you can take notes and will have some time to visit internet cafes. Also, you will be given some time after your assignment to finish up your daily posts. As your days will be full, we do not expect a post updated everyday, just that at the end there is a post about everyday.

Saman - The local encounter can be with a person or a situation. The change can be a drastic one, or simply a changed perspective. It is up to you to interpret.

Melanie - We do understand that they are quite different, however it is hard to judge the ability of a writer through typical guidebook content (such as hostel or restaurant reviews). We are looking for an essay in which your creativity and ability to tell a captivating story shine through. A good writer can do this, as well as produce high quality guidebook features.

Lina - Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, there is only one assignment and we must pick the best writer, no matter where they are from.

Stephanie - I believe you have answered your own question. You are eligible to apply.

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships Apr 12, 2012 9:42 AM

107

This context has honestly injected hope and excitement into my day! Brilliant!

  Zani Apr 13, 2012 4:12 AM

108

Hey, I'm a second year undergrad student. I currently write for a start up travel blog and I do earn technically all my money from it, but that's not nowhere near livelihood level. It's barely pocket money value (like 200 INR per article) and I'm still dependent on my parents for practically everything- from tuition to living expenses. Do I count as a professional writer?

Confused.

Andy - You are eligible to apply.

Alicia

  Andy Apr 14, 2012 9:54 PM

109

wow.. I love it! I would like to join this program! I wrote some articles of movie on my blog.. but I love travelling too. eventhough journey of local places that I had ever visited. I don't know I have this kind of talent or not.. I'll write the essay and apply. and wish that I can learn about travel writing :) I know my English is not really good.. But.. I'll try ..

  Leni Apr 17, 2012 5:07 AM

110

Hi- I'm a broadcast journalist who produces TV and radio updates. That involves some writing, but it's not really writing in the spirit that you mention in your eligibiilty rules. Can I enter?

  KAA Apr 17, 2012 7:50 PM

111

Hi I am a radio and tv reporter who mostly assists in reporting. I am mainly responsible for arranging interviews, transcribing bites to be used in reports, shooting visuals for stories, monitoring other media and don't really do 'professional writing' so to say. Am I eligible to apply?

  Han Apr 18, 2012 3:05 AM

112

KAA and Han - If less than 25% of your jobs consist of writing, in any professional capacity, you are eligible to apply. - Alicia

  scholarships Apr 18, 2012 12:29 PM

113

Thank you for submitting an application to the 2012 World Nomads Travel Writing Scholarship.

wish me luck! :)

  boscky Apr 18, 2012 2:46 PM

114

i really want to apply the scholarship how can i do?

  kong sopheara Apr 18, 2012 7:39 PM

115

Hi,

I've submitted an application but would like to change my personal essay and also the general details. I can't seem to find a way to do this? If there isn't one, could you tell me how to delete my account entirely so I may start again?

Cheers.

  g_flys Apr 18, 2012 9:07 PM

116

i am having trouble creating paragraphs because when i press enter in between the paragraphs i want to separate and click save nothing happens. so what i did i have to put a hypen in between the paragraphs so it would look separate. help!

  mona b Apr 19, 2012 1:12 AM

117

Kong - Just carefully read through the article above and enter your submission by clicking the orange "Apply Now" button.

g_flys - Email me at alicia@worldnomads.com.

mona b - Just sign back into your Journal and you should be able to edit the hyphens out of your entry.

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships Apr 19, 2012 11:02 AM

118

I'm quitting my job as a features correspondent this month and I have no source of income for the next few months. Does that make me eligible to apply?

Reann - It sounds like you are a professional writer who is about to quit your job. That makes you ineligible. - Alicia

'As a guide, for the purposes of the opportunity, we would consider you to be professional travel writer if you have been published regularly in newspapers, travel magazines or travel journals. We would also consider you to be a professional travel writer if you derive more than 25% of your income from travel writing.

We would also like to further clarify that a professional writer of any sort (travel writer or otherwise) is not eligible to apply if they derive more than 25% of their income from writing.'

  Reann Apr 19, 2012 4:09 PM

119

Hi Alicia,

I know you've answered this question so many times already. But in my case, my title is a Content Writer in a marketing communications firm, I mostly do social media (Facebook, Twitter etc) and PR writing. It's not much editorial or published work. So would I be eligible to apply for this? I'm really dying to get into travel writing, that's why I ask. Thankss soo much!!

Sikii - If more than 25% of your job consists of writing, in any professional capacity (social media not included), you are ineligible to apply. - Alicia

  Sikii Apr 19, 2012 8:03 PM

120

I don't have passport yet. Can I apply for this?

  putri Apr 20, 2012 5:08 PM

121

hello,please can you tell me how can I change a bit the text about myself in my application form?

  lavie Apr 21, 2012 8:41 PM

122

I only just found this page! Wish I had longer to work on something, but I still submitted a story - couldn't give this opportunity away.

  phillippar Apr 22, 2012 10:02 AM

123

Hey, I find this a very exciting opportunity. But I am currently not in the industry nor would I find myself becoming a pro travel writer in the future. So would it be OK if I consider this to be a one shot thing only (meaning if I win and after the trip and all the writing I decide to take a break, is it OK? Or am I supposed to follow the travel writing career?)

  Tuan Apr 22, 2012 4:52 PM

124

Putri - The winner will need to have a valid passport by the date of departure.You can apply, but need to make sure you have the passport ready to go, should you win.

Lavie - Please email me at alicia@worldnomads.com.

Tuan - You are welcome to apply. The winner should have a passion and talent for writing, but this opportunity cannot dictate your future career plans.

Good luck everyone, we're looking forward to reading all of your entries!

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships Apr 22, 2012 5:10 PM

125

hi, before i was able to click the apply now button i have already received a confirmation mail on my yahoo. when i checked my worldnomad journal, i could not see my entry which supposedly i could edit til the 23rd. does this mean that i really wasn't able to submit an entry? how can i reapply if that is the case? tnx much.

  mangdarren Apr 22, 2012 11:39 PM

126

I am not a writer just a PhD student. I have not submitted my paper yet, nor have been published before in the field of science (my major). I think this does not affect my eligibility. I submitted my last-minute entry though. I just participated because I think I have good writing and descriptive skills. Good luck to all contestants!

  phdwannabe Apr 23, 2012 1:21 AM

127

I do write but just notes, my main duty is to do virus-related experiments, retrieve data, organise them and accumulate them for my paper required for graduation that has not been submitted yet. This does not represent an income nor the mainstay of my career just a requisite of my graduate school.

  phdwannabe Apr 23, 2012 1:28 AM

128

How "comfortable in the water" do you have to be? I'm a weak swimmer and while I would give it a try I'm not sure my swimming skills would match up to what is needed for a surf camp...

  Ashley Apr 23, 2012 7:42 AM

129

mangdarren - Just sign back into your Journal, click 'Stories', click on your entry and put in your application text. You have not missed the deadline, you have a little less than 5 hours left to do this.

phdwannabe - That is fine, you are eligible to apply.

Ashley - The surf lessons can be tailored to your ability and you will be with an instructor at all times. Hopefully that eases your concerns, as it shouldn't really be a problem.

Alicia

  scholarships Apr 23, 2012 9:02 AM

130

Hi Alicia,
Is it possible to use italics in our essays?
I can't seem to find a way to do this when submitting my entry.
I have copied and pasted from word, where I had included some important italics, but this got wiped out when transferring.
Please help,
Thanks, Jo.

Hi Jo - The application form does not support italics, sorry for the inconvenience. - Alicia

  Jo Fairman Apr 23, 2012 9:31 AM

131

Last question Ms. Alicia, to make my story look "appealing" I had to edit it because previously I didn't separate the paragraphs. Hadn't I done this, it would have looked like a maze of letters nobody would like to go over. At the time of submission my essay has just bellow 2000 characters. Hope that separating the paragraphs had ho impact on the overall character limit. Thanks.

  phdwannabe Apr 23, 2012 9:49 AM

132

Ok, without italics it shall be then! Thanks for quick reply, Jo.

  jofairman Apr 23, 2012 10:01 AM

133

Hi Alicia,

I have edited my piece and the character count doesn't show up anymore in your editor. I checked on my word processor and it says I have EXACTLY 2000 characters. This worries me a bit, because I do not want to be disqualified should your processors have a different way of counting. Could you please check if my article is indeed 2000 characters by your standards?

Thank you very much!

Audreee - In your browser preferences, make sure that your JavaScript is enabled. If it is not, the character count will not work for you. Otherwise, the count works fine. - Alicia

  audreee Apr 23, 2012 11:32 AM

134

Thanks for the quick reply!

But what I meant was, I was already able to submit my entry. Hours later, I decided to do some last minute editing, and the online journal text editor has no character count.

But anyway, I found a way to check it. I just logged out and opened another application form and copied my article into the text box. Turns out it is exactly 2000. Talk about living to the limit. :) Hope my explanation helps other perfectionists still mulling over their write-ups 'til the last.

Excited! :D

  audreee Apr 23, 2012 12:06 PM

135

The contest will be closing in a few minutes' time, and I've just added my entry. Crossing my fingers until 17 May! Good luck to all those who have participated! Can't wait to read the winning entries. :)

  kryescent Apr 23, 2012 1:34 PM

136

Thanks for this opportunity! Although I am technically an "Asia Travel Writer/Coordinator", I applied because my role does not incorporate writing in the traditional sense - I mostly copy and paste text that others write for our travel itineraries to Asia. I write hotel descriptions and location descriptions but not real writing.

Hopefully I am still qualified because I am looking to do more than just coordinate others' trips - I want to write about my own travel experiences and activities!

  jwang02 Apr 23, 2012 2:41 PM

137

My entry is 1959 characters. But the form won't accept it. I've had to prune some paragraphs so I could turn it in time before closing. What do I do?

  usama Apr 23, 2012 2:42 PM

138

So disappointed I was only able to submit entry today but completely got the time zones mixed up! and now I have missed the deadline...I guess there is not chance of a late acceptance?

  Colleen Apr 23, 2012 10:03 PM

139

I really read the comment about word account when I've finish to post my story.
it become my big trouble now, because I wrote on scholarship format in 2000 characters, but I read again the rule, it said that I can edit my story, the problem is when I edit my story is more than 2000 characters, but in the MS WORD Format is less than 2000, so how is my problem??? will I disqualified because it??? Please I really do not know, I wish it is not become big trouble, -,-"
Regard: Lily

  ziahmuharam Apr 23, 2012 10:35 PM

140

Having read some of the essays from the users above, I have a commend everyone on their great work! There are some very talented writers here. I’m looking forward to reading the winning essays. Good luck everyone!

  georgiawhalen Apr 23, 2012 10:57 PM

141

I'm so sorry but i have had some problems with internet connection.. i'm asking for a little more time to finish my application.. is it possible?

sincerely yours,
Era

  Era Apr 23, 2012 11:54 PM

142

I got the zones messed up as well. Eeek. But I still sent my writing. *fingers crossed

  sreesha Apr 24, 2012 1:26 AM

143

Hi Alicia,

A friend sent in an entry for the scholarship, she's received a confirmation email. But her story wont show up among the other entries. Tried typing her screen name but that's not working either.

Please help :)

  deepblueruin Apr 24, 2012 4:33 AM

144

jwang02 - If less than 25% of your role is composed of actual writing (in any form), then you are eligible.

usama and ziahmaharam - Your story needed to be 2000 characters or less including spaces. I hope that you were able to make your edits before the deadline.

Era - The applications have now closed.

deepblueruin - Please have you friend email me at alicia@worldnomads.com and I will see if we received her application.

I would just like to thank everyone who entered and put the time and effort into crafting an essay for this scholarship opportunity. We are really looking forward to reading your submissions - and sending one of you talented writers off to Southeast Asia!

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships Apr 24, 2012 9:15 AM

145

Hi Alicia,

Just wanted to say thank you to all the WorldNomads.com and Rough Guides staff for the opportunity to apply for this, and I look forward to reading the other submissions. :)

Best of luck to everyone!

  kelley Apr 24, 2012 11:38 AM

146

Dear Alicia,

Thank you for the opportunity to apply for such a fabulous contest! Quick query - are we allowed to share our entries on our private Facebook page?

I hope you enjoy reading all our entries and good luck to all fellow-participants!
Regards,
Chiteisri

thegypsydiaries - Yes, of course, you are allowed to share you entry however you like. - Alicia

  thegypsydiaries Apr 26, 2012 2:12 AM

147

Renewing my passport with all fingers crossed. =)

Good luck to everyone!! There are so many amazing writers who have entered (I've added at least 15 destinations to my bucket list just by reading other entries)!

  Lindsay Apr 26, 2012 6:07 AM

148

Applying for this competition was an amazing experience. Having to narrate a real life story within 2000 characters was both challenging and interesting. Looking forward to reading entries by other members too.

Thank You World Nomads for giving us this opportunity.

Good Luck to everyone who applied!

  dheena Apr 28, 2012 10:57 PM

149

I can only echo the comments of others: some really lovely writing that I enjoyed reading very much.

  the-wandering-wonderer Apr 29, 2012 8:52 AM

150

Dear Alicia,

How come the scholarship entries still have the option to be edited, after the deadline? Does that mean it still can be edited by members who sent it the entries or not?

Thanks,

Leena

  Leena Apr 29, 2012 6:39 PM

151

Leena - As all of the entries are now in the judging process, we ask that entries not be edited. - Alicia

  scholarships Apr 30, 2012 10:29 AM

152

Hello Alicia,

I'm curious as to whether the finalist shortlist will be posted to this website on May 11th, or whether the finalists will be contacted? Or is that just an internal date?

Thanks so much!

~Michaela~

Hi Michaela, the winner and the shortlist will be posted in this blog on May 17th. Stay tuned! - Alicia

  Michaela May 3, 2012 4:42 AM

153

I am soooo excited! I wish I'd make it, this is my dream! Fingerscrossed it will come true... I know there are a lot of amazing contestants who want this badly but I want this really really bad that I could give up my job for this or even pursue to be a travel writer on my own phase like I'm doing on my blog now. And may all the forces in the universe allow this dream to come true! Looking forward meeting all of you guys and sharing my stories with World Nomads! :)

  Lyndsay/Discount Travel Blogger May 3, 2012 11:38 AM

154

Oh btw, that's me above this comment! ;)

  lyndsay May 3, 2012 12:18 PM

155

Hi Everyone,

We have decided to announce the shortlist early - Congratulations to our our top applicants!

You can read the shortlisted entries here: http://bit.ly/K42wv6

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships May 10, 2012 1:37 PM

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.