Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

Travel Photography Scholarship 2011 - South Africa - APPLICATIONS NOW CLOSED!

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 23 August 2011 | Views [287079] | Comments [131]

 

Go on assignment to South Africa and be mentored by a National Geographic photographer!

 


 

APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED! GOOD LUCK TO ALL THAT ENTERED.

Applications close November 8th 2011, at 2pm Australian Eastern Daylight Time (GMT +11)

 
 
 
WorldNomads.com and National Geographic Channel are giving one exceptional individual the chance to go on assignmentwith renowned wildlife and natural history photographer Jason Edwards to South Africa!

This is your chance to photograph in Kruger National Park on an 8-day trip with G Adventures. Step into the heart of Big 5 game country with lion, leopard, elephant, rhino and buffalo, as well as zebra, giraffe, kudo and monkey...to name a few. You'll also photograph Cape Town in all its vibrant colour and visit a pre-school community project on the outskirts of Cape Town, offering you a well rounded view of modern South Africa, courtesy of South African Tourism.  

A selection of your best photos will be published on National Geographic Channel where they will be viewed by thousands of travellers worldwide, offering you a once-in-a-lifetime chance to get your foot in the door of one of the most revered exploration organisations in the world!

Highly regarded for his wildlife and remote landscape photography, Jason Edwards is represented by National Geographic Image Collection.

Jason Edwards, National Geographic

 

 

Your Assignment Brief

* We'll fly you in from your country of residence to Johannesburg where you will meet your mentor and small travel group for your bespoke 8 day trip with G Adventures. You'll need to be available to be in South Africa between January 18-25, 2012.

* On the trip you will work alongside Jason Edwards photographing wildlife and landscapes in Kruger National Park at various times of the day and night. You will also work through a specific shot list as part of your assignment.

* You willgain invaluable mentoring and hands-on experience in everything from shot set up, technique and composition through to insights into his many years of diverse experience as an award winning photographer.

* Your assignment will involve observing and assisting Jason as well as undertaking your own photographic work. This will involve long days, early mornings and late nights working!

* You will keep a daily diary about your time on the trip and upload this to a WorldNomads.com travel journal, including pictures you've taken.

* On your return you will work with Jason Edwards through the editorial process to shortlist your top photographs and colour balance to achieve professional looking shots for submission to National Geographic Channel for publication.

* Most of all, you'll be experiencing what it's like to be a photographer on-assignment with National Geographic!

See past travel photography scholarship winner Dat Vu's photos (2010) on the Nat Geo Channel website, and Anna Zhu's (2009) exhibition with Jason Edwards in Sydney.

Jason Edwards, National Geographic

 

Who can apply

* This opportunity is open to any non-professional trying to start a career in Travel Photography -  photography students or keen amateurs/pro-amateurs looking for a foot in the door.

* Minimum age 18 with a good level of physical fitness.

* This is a global opportunity - you may be a resident of any country.

* You should be an exceptional photographer with a lust for adventure, have a strong desire to be mentored and grow your photographic knowledge and skills, an ambition to forge a career in Travel Photography, and of course a desire to travel to South Africa.

* Remember this is a scholarship, a learning experience, and therefore will not be suitable for professional or semi-professional photographers.

* Find out more about eligibility in our FAQ video blog

Jason Edwards, National Geographic

Apply now

Please look carefully at the 4 steps required to complete your application.
If your photos are not ready, we suggest you come back later to complete this entry.

1. Shoot a series of photos (maximum of 5)

They must tell a story about a place you have visited. 'Place' may be anywhere; somewhere in your own community or much further away. The judges will be looking for:

* originality
* ability to convey a story through photos
* excellent technique

Each of the 5 shots must have accompanying caption text to help contextualize the shot (see Point 7 in Jason's Judging Criteria).

Please see our FAQ video blog about the theme, making digital adjustments and Jason's judging criteria.

2. Add your photos to WorldNomads.com.

Firstly create a journal, which is where your photos will be hosted, and fill in the entry form. Upload your photos either as a Flickrset or directly in the journal. (If you are already a member or have a journal, please sign-in.)

*Please don't remove the tags and title of the gallery we have set up for you - this is how we find you*

3. Tell us in 300 words or less about yourself and why you should be chosen.

Your written response will have significant weighting in the judging process, so think carefully about why you should be chosen.  Tell us about yourself, your passions, why you love photography, what drives you to take a better shot, where you would like to go with your photography etc. Help us form a picture in our mind of you as a person with your text (see Point 8 in Jason's Judging Criteria).

Remember this is a once in a lifetime learning opportunity, not a junket for professional photographers.

4. Finally the legal bit.

You know the Terms and Conditions of entry.

One entry per person

Applications close: 2pm November 8, 2011 (Australian Eastern Daylight Time)

Please Note: Last year we almost had a server meltdown because applicants left it to the last minute to submit. Don't miss out! Apply well before the closing date to ensure your application is successful!

The recipient of the Scholarship, along with the best entries, will be published on WorldNomads.com on December 1, 2011.

Check out our finalists and shortlist from 2010 along with judge's comments.

More Questions?

Take a look at our FAQ's video blog which provides more details on the task, technical guidelines, judging criteria, eligibility and more.


 

 

 

DOWNLOAD A SCHOLARSHIP POSTER TO PUT UP AT YOUR COLLEGE;

A4 SIZE

A3 SIZE

US LETTER SIZE

Travel. Learn. Create.

For all of you aspiring creatives, check out our Scholarships page and sign up to hear about our latest opportunities, tips, advice and interviews with industry professionals in the fields of photography, travel writing and filmmaking.

And if you're lucky enough to be mentored by one of our industry professionals, it could kick start your career!

About WorldNomads.com

WorldNomads.com keeps you travelling safely.  Whether you’re off for a long weekend, looking for the ultimate adventure or living the nomadic dream, you’ll stay safe with Travel Insurance you can buy online, anytime, and the latest travel safety advice. Learn how to flirt in over 25 languages with our free language guides and have an experience of a lifetime on a travel scholarship. We'll also help you share your journey with a free travel blog, get answers from other nomads to all of your travel questions (try the new 'Ask A Nomad' iPad app) and donate to a local community development project through our Footprints program.  

WorldNomads.com - an essential part of every adventurous traveller's journey.

Comments

1

This Scholarship is an exceptional opportunity to learn from one of the best photographers in the industry.

Travel, Wildlife and documentary photography are challenging genres that I've always been fascinated with, and would love to develop my skills in. For a non-professional amateur like me, who're extremely passionate about Photography this is an opportunity that I look forward to be a part of.

My sincere thanks to the WorldNomads team, National Geographic, and its partners, including South African Tourism for their support towards this Scholarship.

  Allan Aug 25, 2011 2:51 AM

2

Last year, after completing High School I got a job and earned as much money as I could. I then set off travelling for 7 months, both with friends and alone. The highlight of my trip was my stay in Ghana where I volunteered at a Human Rights NGO and an orphanage. This is the stay that I have tried to depict with my photos.

I have a love hate relationship with photography. I love when I capture a memory worth cherishing, but hate the frustration when a I cannot (or lack the skill) encompass within a photo the enormity of what I can see. I hope to learn to achieve this ability and overcome this frustration. I also hope to pursue my passion in traveling.

There is nothing quite like immersing yourself in another culture. In school I did an exchange to Germany. I am now planning to travel to Indonesia next year to do a 6 month Development program, so as preparation; I am studying Indonesian at Uni.

I believe that it’s the people that make the place, and it’s these people that I want to capture and have to opportunity to tell their stories.

  Kendall White Aug 26, 2011 8:27 PM

3

i love photography!

  daniel adlawan Aug 31, 2011 2:04 PM

4

its so wonderful...

  Ann Aug 31, 2011 2:14 PM

5

Photography Lover- So amezinggggggggggg...
I am just bigner....

  Dharmesh Prajapati Aug 31, 2011 2:34 PM

6

i already entered my entry..woow im so excited..:D

  jefreecasiguranin Aug 31, 2011 3:09 PM

7

I have no work for how many months.. I love photography and I want to learn more about photographs... I know this was exciting to capture more photographs..
How can I join this kind of scholarships?

  Koy Aug 31, 2011 9:39 PM

8

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the posts! It is exciting to be up and running again this year I cannot believe how fast time has flown since last year. I agree with you all it's all about the passion, and Kendall I completely understand where you're coming from I still get frustrated when I cannot replicate a successful shot or technique even when I use exactly the same settings... But as for the scope or scale of a scene, maybe the years have helped temper that in me and these days I find I am more at peace with that element of my photography. Key word 'more' as opposed to 'completely'!

Cheers

Jason

  Jason Edwards Sep 1, 2011 8:27 AM

9

hi, I've red about this opportunity yesterday and I was very existing, but I would like to make a few questions before I take the steeps through this.
Im from Kosovo, ( Young Europeans) and I would like to know is there any problem for getting visas, because there are a lot of countries that haven't accepted our independence yet?

I always say that there is nothing to lose if you try, but somehow Im feeling unfortunate, couse Im to far away from you guys...however Im going to try this and I really hope to be part of this assignment.

greetings from Kosovo

  abetare Sep 2, 2011 1:24 AM

10

Hola ! ante todo decirles que amo la fotografía y saco fotos hace varios años y estoy empezando una carrera fotográfica en bahía blanca . Buenos Aires Argentina . Una ciudad chica del interior del país .
Me parece alucinante la idea de poder participar , jamas hice fotografía Documental y me parece fascinante .
Como puedo hacer para participar . es mi sueño hacer esto !
Muchisimas Gracias y por favor contenten !
Saludos de Argentina.
Lucas Luciano Jodurcha
+54 0291 4880488.
Av.Alem. 1666

  Lucas luciano Sep 2, 2011 11:27 AM

11

Hi Abetare,

It is our understanding the South Africa does not recognize Kosovo's independence right now. Is there another passport you would be able to travel on?

Alicia
WorldNomads.com

  scholarships Sep 2, 2011 1:49 PM

12

hi all friends here i want and interested in the project what should i do

please let me know i love photography too much

  khamphila Bounyaseng Sep 2, 2011 7:30 PM

13

I REALLY LIKE IT IS..

  barbara Sep 3, 2011 6:11 AM

14

me encanta todo lo que hacen todo lo que imbestigan, admiro su trabajo en equipo y todo lo que nos permiten conocer, cosas inimaginadas que quizas por nuetra mente jamas paso que existia, espero todos aprecien lo que nos brindas con amor y tomen para si las enseñanzas tarsmitidas que de antemado son muy buenas * que Dios les bendiga bueno yo creo en el apezar de todadas las discrepancias que hay sobre el tema... yo creo en el.... pero kmoestudiante de biologia tambien apoyo ala ciencia*

  margot Sep 3, 2011 9:39 AM

15

that so great!!!
it will be a great pleasure for me if i be granted the opportunity to one of the scholar. i am a follower of NGC and i love all their shows.
more power to you guys

  larry de leon Sep 3, 2011 3:57 PM

16

hi Alicia

Im afraid that not. But I really do believe that with your support I will. From now I will investigate for chances to get another visa.

waiting forward to hear from you soon!

byee

  abetare Sep 4, 2011 2:22 AM

17

is there any scholarship winner from Kosovo?

Hi abetare,

We have never had a scholarship winner from Kosovo yet, and obviously with the destination as South Africa, it will make getting a visa tricky. Let me know what you find out from your investigation into the options.

Cheers,
Alicia

  abetare Sep 4, 2011 2:45 AM

18

Hola Lucas y Margot,

Gracias para tu emails. Buena suerte con sus entradas!

Jason

  Jason Sep 6, 2011 5:12 PM

19

Hi Jason
I already uploaded my photos and created my profile, so I like to know if that is all I have to do in order to be an applicant. My user is lacuchara
Thanks in advance

  lacuchara Sep 7, 2011 12:47 PM

20

Hi lacuchara,

I see that you have uploaded your photos, but in order to properly apply for this scholarship, you need to fill out the application form above by clicking the "Apply Now" button - and upload your photos that way.

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships Sep 7, 2011 3:57 PM

21

Thanks Alicia for the answer...
I already fill out the application form, is all I have to do? am I an applicant now?
Kind regards

Hi lacuchara,

Yes, we have your application. Thanks for entering!

Cheers,
Alicia

  lacuchara Sep 8, 2011 12:31 AM

22

Thank you!
Kind regards

  lacuchara Sep 8, 2011 11:36 AM

23

Isibingelelo!

I just read about this most exciting opportunity! I definately would give up a semester of school to go to South Africa and learn from Jason with the goal of becoming a professional story photographer.

I have so many questions and 8 days of learning experiences would push me over the edge into a life of learning, excitment and inner prosperity.

I will complete my application and upload my photos before the end of this weekend. Look for them and I look forward to working with you in South Africa!

Bona kamsinya.

Mary Z

  Mary Zahorsky Sep 9, 2011 2:44 AM

24

Do the photos have to be from a singular event / place / time? I have short-listed half a dozen of my personal favourites, but they were taken over a period of five / six months. Cheers.

  Beren Sep 14, 2011 8:08 PM

25

26) Beren, The images do not need to be sequential from an event, and yes they can be a combined from over a period of time. However, please remember every image must tell a story and THEN the images must work TOGETHER to tell a story about the PLACE you have visited. Five great stand-alone images will not win the Scholarship. They must represent a place you have visited. Check out the video blog about 'theme'.

Cheers

Jason

  Jason Sep 15, 2011 8:04 AM

26

A once in a lifetime opportunity!

I am so glad that i had found out about this opportunity, because it means that i have a chance to live my dream.

  neonnature Sep 17, 2011 6:51 PM

27

I know the chances are very slim , being a worldwide comp but i am hoping for the best ha . entryy all done and dusted. :) good luck everyone !!!

  travelphotographyscholarship2011 Sep 19, 2011 1:03 PM

28

Hj,
i have traveled to many countries around the world, I am now 70 years old but i would love to have the opportunity to go to South Africa. T was in Uganda in May of 2011 and i shot over 3000 pictures of people ,animals and scenic views.

  Robert Shively Sep 24, 2011 5:59 AM

29

i like to know south africa most especially the contributions of nelson mandela, the new prospering country, a land of dreams, of people inspired. Travel is learning how people, hoped, struggle, gained back their life and work for their future, independent and free.

  oliver garcia Sep 25, 2011 12:08 AM

30

Something to be given big attention!!!!!!

I am coming soon with my photographs that will tell the word as Ethiopia is" the hidden treasure of Africa"(bradt travel guide), that Ethiopia is the first country in Africa by listing 9 world heritage sites. So much more and member of worldnomads.com shall reveal it.

stay closer and discover before the secret is discovered!
thank you!

  fklm Molla Sep 25, 2011 4:05 AM

31

Hi Jason,

This is amazing chance to take picture in South Africa, I'm eager to have it. Thus, I've already submitted my journal, however, I still worry about 1 picture in my gallery. It is combined by 02 pictures and may be it's out of picture regulation for this scholarship. Please let me know if I could use that picture or not. If not, I will use another one... Thank you so much!

  namlongnguyen Sep 25, 2011 9:50 AM

32

when we apply do we upload the pictures on the journal?

  modernnomad Sep 26, 2011 8:03 PM

33

30) Hi Robert, We have not set an age restriction as photography is enjoyed by so many. Good luck!

33) Namlongnguyen, You are correct it is NOT permitted to use a sandwiched image, please replace it with a frame that involves only one capture.

34) Modernnomad, I would suggest you prepare your images, captions and written component before you start the process, in that way you will not miss anything.

Cheers

Jason

  Jason Sep 26, 2011 9:12 PM

34

I have a journal from last year but it doesn't reflect this years contest. I've tried various things but can't get it to 2011. Help please.

http://journals.worldnomads.com/wooley5/

  wooley5 Sep 27, 2011 5:31 AM

35

I think I got it. Thanks.

  wooley5 Sep 27, 2011 5:34 AM

36

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your comments. I've already replaced it!

  namlongnguyen Oct 1, 2011 2:19 AM

37

Hi guys! Great scholarship on offer. Question -- are we allowed to submit shots taken with black and white film?

  blackcell Oct 1, 2011 10:12 PM

38

Hi Guys, I'm in the same position as abhinavdubey... this is an amazing opportunity and I'd hate to miss out because I went wrong in the submission stages! Is it possible to find out whether you received my entry? It would be under "shootingben".

Thanks so much for your help.

Ben

  shootingben Oct 3, 2011 4:48 PM

39

photgraphy cholarship at africa

  raquel dioneda Oct 4, 2011 3:36 AM

40

Hi Guys,

39) Blackcell, Sure feel free to scan images from black and white film, I love black and white neg.

41) & 42)Abhinavdubey and Shooting ben, I don't have access to the back end but Alicia will check for you in the coming days as she is out of town at the moment. I'll whip her an email to remind her.

Cheers

Jason

  Jason Oct 4, 2011 7:34 AM

41

Hola Chicos de Nat Geo y WN! Les saluda Hommel desde Peru, a mi tambien me gusta la ciencia y la fotografia, pero soy solo un aficionado, sigo todos los programas de Nat Geo, porque me gusta la naturaleza y por ello la ecologia, y me gustaria contribuir con un granito de arena al aporte que hacen ustedes a la humanidad, He visto el concurso para fotografia en Sud Africa y deseo participar en el, porque como lo dijo Gautier: "Una de las glorias de la civilización sería el haber mejorado la suerte de los animales". Como puedo participar en el?

  Hommel Rios Oct 4, 2011 5:19 PM

42

Photography is my passion, Let Your image describe anything..

  ywijaya Oct 5, 2011 4:26 AM

43

Good luck too you all! But if you don't get picked, don't give up, you'll find another way to explore the world and pursue your passion for sharing what you see with others. Keep on clicking!

  Natasha Oct 5, 2011 10:16 AM

44

Ughh!!! I wish I could go!!!
I'm still 17 (turn 18 Nov. 7 woot woooot!) + I'm in the Art Institute for Graphic Design not photo (so my mom thinks it would be a waste of time) >:p
Even if i'm at school for Graphic Design I still see myself doing Wild Life Photography as a living (I love wildlife with a passion!!)
Do you do this every year? Maybe next year I'll apply.... O___o

  Yahaira Lebron Oct 5, 2011 11:03 AM

45

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the posts. Yahaira tell your mum photography is an art form too, and nature is the greatest designer of them all!

Cheers

Jason

  Jason Oct 5, 2011 5:58 PM

46

Hi Jason!
By "18+ years of age", would this be "18 before the deadline" or "18 before the actual trip"?

Thank you :)
Rachel

  Rachel Khoong Oct 6, 2011 8:40 PM

47

Hi Everyone,

To answers your questions:

40) @shootingben - We have your entry, you can view it here: http://journals.worldnomads.com/shootingben/photos/29545/Worldwide/My-Photo-scholarship-2011-entry

46) @Yahaira - We do this scholarship every year, I hope you'll apply next year!

48) @Rachel - You do need to be 18 at the time of the application deadline.

Good luck!
Alicia
WorldNomads.com

  scholarships Oct 7, 2011 4:32 AM

48

Hi Alicia - thanks so much for that!

Ben

  Ben Robson Oct 7, 2011 9:54 AM

49

If my 18th birthday is Nov. 7 and the deadline Nov. 8 can I still apply?

  Yahaira Lebron Oct 8, 2011 2:42 PM

50

is there anyway annyone under the age of 18 can apply? I have always wanted to be a photographer in Africa!

  Kerryn Oct 8, 2011 10:47 PM

51

I would like to know who are the judges, people who look,or do you have yours,i didn't understand? thanks!

  santorini Oct 9, 2011 11:02 AM

52

Dear Jason,
When I read for the first time this scholarship I was so happy and in the same time sad. Visa issues of course. I believe that even though South Africa didn't recognize Kosovo yet in this cases I believe that it shouldn't be a problem. I am doing some research about visa issues to South Africa with Kosovo passport if I find out any positive answers then I will apply if not then next year or 2013 :(

I hope soon we will not have this problem and we will be free to travel as others.

Greetings from Kosovo

  Rabija Oct 10, 2011 2:56 AM

53

51) Yahaira, Yes I think you can apply although technically you would have to apply on Nov 7 or on Nov 8 before 2pm Australian time. You would need to ensure you converted Australian time to your time so as not to miss the cut-off, and please remember so many entries come in on the last day so please don't leave it until 2pm!

52) Kerryn, So sorry but you must be 18 at the time of application due to applicable laws and such. I know this is disappointing but stay in touch with us as we visit many cool places worth photographing.

53) Santorini, There are a series of judges from National Geographic Channel and World Nomads and of course myself. There is a link to my judging process above.

54) Rabija, Good luck with the visa and yes please keep us all informed. Visa requirements change so often that it's hard to stay up-to-date.

Cheers

Jason

  Jason Oct 10, 2011 9:25 AM

54

Me Encanta National geographic <3

  laura daniela ibagon salamanca Oct 11, 2011 6:12 AM

55

Hi Alicia, just confirming you've seen/know about my entry?.. Vietnam's Hidden charms.. I'd hate to lose out this marvelous opportunity.. thanks in advance. - Jean

If your entry is valid, you can find it in the list with everyone elses: http://adventures.worldnomads.com/scholarships/?m=5

  Jean Wethmar Oct 13, 2011 11:03 AM

56

hi jason..
we have to tell a story, so i cannot use 1 pic from my trip in south america, others 2 from russia and 1 from another trip?i have to use pictures took from 1 single section or trip..right?
and the pictures size?

Hi Maggy, Yes the theme is about a 'place' you have visited so the images would need to be from a single location eg city, park, forest even a country. But remember the 'broader' the 'place' the more difficult it is to tell the story!

Cheers

Jason

  maggy Oct 14, 2011 1:40 AM

57

hi jason,
tnx!!!
and what about the pictures size?
another question:
colour profile? adobe rgb..or S-rgb?

Hi Maggy,
Please see Jasons's video FAQ:
http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/story/76052/South-Africa/Ask-the-Photographer-FAQs-with-Jason-Edwards-Travel-Photography-Scholarship-2011

  maggy Oct 14, 2011 10:37 AM

58

Hi Jason,

Just a quick question regarding the competition. I shot some toy camera images whilst in India and ran the images together in the camera to create a continuous neg. Would these images count as one shot or more? Each sequence was from a different archeological site.

You might remember me, I met you on the plane to LA in May. I'm looking forward to entering your competition. All the best,

Shani

Hi Shani,
Please see Jasons's video FAQ:
http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/story/76052/South-Africa/Ask-the-Photographer-FAQs-with-Jason-Edwards-Travel-Photography-Scholarship-2011

  Shani Oct 14, 2011 1:43 PM

59

wow! this contest could actually sum up my dream, ever since i was 6 i used to look into those National Geographic magazine's amazing images and wonder what it would be like to witness these places and moments in person. Photography helped me discover myself, i dont own a DSLR yet but that never stoped me. I travelled all around my Country (India) alone, just living the moment and maybe trying to capture it in a photograph. Jason i really admire you for actually fulfilling the dream of a worthy person and making it an experience of a lifetime.
Thankyou so much.

  Arjun Menon Oct 17, 2011 4:34 PM

60

59) Hi Maggy, Just an additional thought on colour profile. I always balance in Adobe 98 and then save for web in S-rgb. Adobe 98 give a much larger colour space for getting things right. As for file size I think there are specs on the loading site but to be honest I'm not sure because I don't view that side of things. I always default to 1024 pixels on the longest length when in doubt. Alicia do we have size specs?

60) Hi Shani, yes I do remember you hope you are well! I think I blinked and the past few months disappeared... As to your question it's an interesting one. Are you saying you shot up to five frames back-to-back in the camera continuously and they are joined as one frame, or that you created one frame from five images?

61) Hi Arjun, Thanks for the thoughts! I hope you have some material you'd like to enter.

Cheers

Jason

  Jason Oct 18, 2011 7:50 AM

61

I really really like to join this contest, however I do not have the enough equipment and I think the date of the travel is not favorable to me since I am still studying and I still have class until March. That is how education period here in the Philippines work. :'(

I hope worldnomads.com would still give scholarships like this. This is a dream come true to me 'coz i like traveling and take pictures but I do not have the enough budget to make all these things come true. Hope you still have opportunities like this next year.

Hi Ian,

We do have a travel photography scholarship annually, so I hope you apply next year if you are unable to this time around.

Cheers,
Alicia

  Ian Ceasar Sipe Oct 19, 2011 2:39 AM

62

I was thrilled to learn about this competition while browsing through the internet. this competition is a dream come through for me. growing up in Singapore, i always felt that the world had to be a bigger, more beautiful place than i could ever see. i want to remember, capture and share everything i see in this earth with as much people as possible. at the age of 12 i went on a diving trip to Thailand without my family, and it has changed my life forever. i loved the feeling of another place, culture, its people, and their world as they knew it. ever since, i have been saving up to travel overseas on my own for the first time.

although i do not fit the criteria (i'm 17, the travel period is during my study term and i'm pretty much broke) i just want to say that this scholarship is one of the best things i've seen in a long time. you guys have an awesome idea and fantastic results, not to mention finding some wicked talent in the process. i hope next year when i'm finally 18 i can fight for my chance in this competition.

Keep up the marvellous work, and all the best to everyone competing!

  Sharonn Oct 20, 2011 1:52 AM

63

64) Hi Sharonn, Thanks so much for the post, great appreciated! And well done on your travel so far please do consider entering next year.

Best

Jason

  Jason Oct 20, 2011 10:45 AM

64

Hi Jason,
I speak only a little english, is a problem? I learn fast.
Thanks for this opportunity

Lina,

English does not have to be your first language, but you do need to have conversational English for this scholarship. In order for you to get the most of the mentorship you will need to be able to understand and converse with Jason on the trip.

Cheers,
Alicia
WorldNomads.com

  Lina Oct 21, 2011 6:28 AM

65

Hi to you all! N' to you Jason!

When I was very very young I went to a persian exhibition in my town, a brief reference to Muslim Coran of the introduction poster said, "if one man stops feeling compassion for another human being, he can't be considered any longer a human". Among other reasons, that's why I decided to study Journalism. For me a human being worths it all. Whether you tell his story by words or by pictures, it's the same, the essential thing is to give a piece of you to help the others. Being a photojournalist has been the ultimate dream since I was 8. I hope I'd get the chance to heal the suffering of the others, mine also, with words and photos.

Thank you all from World Nomads and for you Jason. Hope You'll be my mentor.

Maria B.

Maria,

Thanks for sharing your story, good luck!

Cheers,
Alicia
WorldNomads.com

  Maria Beretta Oct 21, 2011 10:15 AM

66

Thank you Alicia! I'm very keen on it :) Good luck to you all youngsters and partners also!

  Maria Beretta Oct 21, 2011 11:15 AM

67

Hi Alicia,

Last year I had participated in Travel Scholarship contest, as a result I already have an account in WorldNomads.com. However I'm unable follow the work flow to submit my entries for this year. Following are my queries:

1. Under journals do I create a new Photo Gallery?
2. Do I need to create a new Trip and link it to the journal?
3. Where do I enter a brief description about myself
4. What and where tags needs to be included
5. Finally how do I know my entry has been submitted

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Subhroyoti

  ladakh Oct 21, 2011 10:09 PM

68

Dear Alicia and Jason,

If my entry is posted on my journal admin photo gallery does that mean it has been successfully received?

  americannomad Oct 22, 2011 11:02 AM

69

Dear Alicia and Jason,

I just got sent a confirmation in my e-mail, so I now know the answer Thank you. 8-)

  americannomad Oct 22, 2011 11:07 AM

70

G'day to all you photography lovers!!!

Reading the above posts has brought me a lot of joy. To see so many others share a similar passion to photography/travel/wildlife and mentorship has made my day.

I am getting my application together and hope to submit by the end of this week.

Good luck to us all !!!

Andrew

  Andrew Oct 23, 2011 4:45 PM

71

GOD Bless us all!!

  ariel rabanes Oct 23, 2011 10:22 PM

72

Hi everyone,

To answer your questions:

@Subhroyoti - When you click the 'Apply Now' button, you have the option to log in to your existing account and complete the application process from there. The application will create a new Trip and a new Photo Gallery for you automatically. Let me know if you have any trouble doing this.

@Dean - We do have a scholarship entry for username 'jorgo'. Is this your entry? http://journals.worldnomads.com/jorgo/photos/30506/Australia/My-Photo-scholarship-2011-entry

@americannomad Glad to hear it!



TO EVERYONE: If your entry is complete, you can see your photos in the list here along with everyone elses entries: http://adventures.worldnomads.com/scholarships/?m=5
Please check here first before asking 'Did you receive my entry?'

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships Oct 24, 2011 9:35 AM

73

Hi, I have a question, I am a very enthusiastic photographer, I am the youngest in my Photography club and I love to take photos, I want to take up a career in photography and I have spent all my money on photography, My question is simple, I am only 17 currently, but i will be 18 on the 13th of February, Is there any way at all to make me eligible to apply?

Hi Sean, Unfortunately due to legal requirements you must be 18 at the time entries close. I know this will be frustrating and disappointing but please watch for the 2012 event it will be here before we know it!

Cheers

Jason

  Sean Oct 24, 2011 9:58 AM

74

Hi,
I just posted my 5 frames through the worldnomads site (followed instructions on this site after clicking "apply now" button). Can you pls check to let me know if you have my entry and all looks completed as my system kicked me out while it was uploading. Thanks!
Best,
Julie

If your entry is complete, you can see your photos in the list here along with everyone elses entries: http://adventures.worldnomads.com/scholarships/?m=5

  jlitrov Oct 25, 2011 7:13 AM

75

@Elinor we have your photos here: http://journals.worldnomads.com/eburford/photos/30734/China/The-Lake - all looks fine and the photos are the correct size.

@Subhroyoti, on the application for you need to click the blue "login" button on step 1 and log into your existing account first.

@Julie, we've received your application. See it here:http://journals.worldnomads.com/jlitrov/photos/30750/Cambodia/My-Photo-scholarship-2011-entry

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships Oct 25, 2011 9:24 AM

76

Hi Alicia and Jason, i have submitted my application form, hope everything seems fine. I have one small issue, the photos i uploaded here on Worldnomads.com was'nt the same quality i expected. This is my flickr set link - http://www.flickr.com/photos/arjunmenon007/sets/72157627848549961/
hope you use this link for consideration
Arjun Menon

  backstage Oct 25, 2011 4:45 PM

77

Also the competition says that you need to add a caption against the photo to help convey the story, however when I uploaded the photos thre was only a small space for some text, not really enough to convey the story. Is that the only space for text?

Hi Elinor,

Yes, as I said before, we have your submission. As for the caption, you do not need to write an entire story, just give the photos context and a bit of background.

Alicia

  eburford Oct 25, 2011 9:46 PM

78

Hi Everyone,

If you are unsure if we have received your photo submission, please check this link, as it lists all applications for this scholarship: http://adventures.worldnomads.com/scholarships/?m=5

Cheers and happy travels!
Alicia

  scholarships Oct 26, 2011 9:13 AM

79

Ok guys ive got it, thank you very much and sorry to bother yous...

ARRGGGHHH so keen to see how this all turns out. good luck to all

Dean

  jorgo Oct 26, 2011 10:46 PM

80

Hi all, I not sure whether my entry has been submitted correctly, I have checked the link below:
http://adventures.worldnomads.com/scholarships/?m=5 and it isn't listed. My user name is soulofgea.
Many Thanks
E

We can see it there - try refreshing your browser

  soulofgea Oct 27, 2011 5:10 PM

81

Hi Everyone,

My assistant Katie has insisted I move into the 21st Century and start a blog and facebook page to keep everyone in touch with my movements along with thoughts, tips and behind the scenes advice. Please feel free to sign up for the blog and also 'like' the facebook page and don't hesitate to bounce them around your networks. I gather that's what's meant to happen with such things!

Cheers

Jason

http://jasonedwardsphotography.com/blog/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jason-Edwards-Photography/298894843459544

  Jason Oct 28, 2011 8:48 AM

82

hi guys . i have a world nomads account and tried to submit my pictures. but it did not seem to work. so i was wondering what went wrong.
also i wanted to check back , what you would need in the story . something about my life or more about my love for photography and the pictures. [please keep me posted , cause i would be very upset , if i missed this opportunity, i have been in africa once, with my heart desire to return again as a photographer, but somehow life just does strange things and my love for photography has been a silent art in my world till this day. i did not have a good camera cause i was always too busy with life itself and training as for me taking a good valuable camera with me. but sure enough , most times during training, and especially on my long bikerides or runs in the eraly morning or at night . i would see all these beautiful immeges and the only pictures i coild take were in my mind . since these days i regret not having bought a canmera all these years to capture the beautyful moments thst our worl has in store for us. for me pictures are more the thousand words. they capture emotions , feelings and silence in them. pictures let me dream , feel react in different ways they are my silent movie. ilove pictures and colect postcards whereever i go ( cause like i sad till a few days ago i di not even had a good camera) pictures of animals and nature help me to understand this world and it secrets and i strongly believe they are necessary to give the people who live in this world an understandanding of whats going on in this world. wether its good or bad , a picture of death, war or a picture of happynes. pictures need to be taken and shared for giving us the information on whats really going on.
a picture is a story , a feeling , a word , a memory . its the story behind the story , the script to the movie and so much more.
being a secret photographer is what i do, becoming a photographer in real is a dream come true. applying for this scholarship with a chance of learning what i love my biggest dream.

short to these pictures. tehy have been taken in africa

Linidesign, Thanks for your thoughts and words. In the written component it is more important for me to learn about you as a person, and also about what photography means to you and what you'd like to gain from the experience. DO NO tell me about the pictures you have submitted as that should be done in the captioning.

Alicia will follow-up on your submission.

Cheers

Jason

Hi linidesign,

We do have a Journal for you here: http://journals.worldnomads.com/linidesign/

However, it doesn't look like you have applied through the application form, but rather just created a Journal and uploaded photos. You must apply by clicking on the orange "apply now" button in this post, otherwise the entry will not be tagged correctly and considered in the the judging. As it stands right now, it will not be considered.

Cheers,
Alicia

  linidesign Oct 28, 2011 11:30 PM

83

sorry for the wrong spelling , my key pad acted up and did not even save the correct wording. anyway if u could let me knwo if my pictures are submitted i would really be happy. thanks again.
hope to hear from you soon. thanks ahead melina

  linidesign Oct 28, 2011 11:35 PM

84

G'day, sorry to be a bother, but does anybody know if it is acceptable to enter an image that was shot in colour but converted to black and white?
I am also wondering if in the case that the conversion is not acceptable (which would be understandable) where would the line be drawn? would an in-camera conversion also be classified unsuitable?

Penny, Yes it is acceptable to convert a colour digital file to black and white but process the image carefully as over-treated black and white is as unacceptable to me as over-treated colour. It will not negatively effect the chances of an image winning but personally I love traditional black and white!

Cheers

Jason

  Penny Oct 29, 2011 2:58 PM

85

Hello all!

Just submitted my flickr set. I just wanted to make sure that the judges will be able to read the captions since you can't see them unless you go to the Flickr site.

If you view it in the journal then you only have the option to see the slideshow: http://journals.worldnomads.com/cici/photos/30998/China/My-Photo-scholarship-2011-entry

Sorry, just wanted to double check that the judges will be heading to the Flickr page in order to see the images with captions.

Thanks!
Cici

Hi Cici,

Not to worry that the captions are on the Flickr set...we'll find them when we look through the Flickr photos individually.

Cheers,
Alicia

  cici Nov 1, 2011 9:07 PM

86

Hola!! Soy mar, y quisiera agradecer la oportunidad de poder participar en un evento y experiencia de este tipo. Estoy fascinada por la experiencia en la fotografía, y más si se puede mezclar con algo que no pude hacer mucho por falta de dinero, que es viajar!!! Adoro viajar, y sacar fotos, así que, si puedo participar aunque sea, sé que hay muuucha gente que tiene más experiencia en fotografía que yo, simple Amateur, pero quiero darme la oportunidad de animarme, ya que no pierdo nada... trato de ponerle la emoción de lo que veo, y transmitírselo a la cámara, para que pueda captar lo que estoy viendo en ese momento, a veces sale, a veces, no... eso es lo que quiero aprender con ustedes chicos, quisiera tener esa posibilidad... cuidense!!! =) Éxitos!!!!

  beautifulsouthamerica Nov 2, 2011 3:39 AM

87

Hey, and a big thank you for this great opportunity. Just one thing I would like to point out. I created a flickr gallery which I then linked to my journal. The slideshow in the journal however greatly distorts the colors. It is not a problem with web colors because in flickr they show as intended. It could seem like nitpicking, but for artists who have put great effort in their work it's a big issue. I don't know if I would've ran into the same problem uploading the photos straight to this website. Just something that nagged me when I reviewed my entry.

Good luck to everyone and meanwhile I'm enjoying reading the other great entries!

/Julius Koskela

  juliuskoskela Nov 2, 2011 8:15 AM

88

dam i will be 18 just one month after the dates of the scholar ship. i have already written a reminder on my bedroom wall to remember to apply for next year! this is such a great oppurtunity for aspiring photographers and i would like to thank everyone inlvolved, especially Jason Edwards.

cheers, Eloise

  eloise Nov 2, 2011 10:42 AM

89

Beautifulsouthamerica, ¡Gracias mucho por sus pensamientos, fotografía da la oportunidad de experimentar nuevas cosas! Spanish courtesy of my wife!

89) Thanks Eloise, be sure to sign up to my blog and FB page for updates. Look forward to seeing you up and running in 2012!

Cheers

Jason

  Jason Nov 2, 2011 10:58 AM

90

Hi Everyone,

I posted the following on my blog just in case you missed it. http://jasonedwardsphotography.com/blog/

It is amazing how fast time has passed and the closing date for the 2011 National Geographic World Nomads Photography Scholarship is upon us (8th of November). I thought I'd post a few reminders for those still preparing their entry and for people a little more organised who may wish to check their submission again.

Now I don't want to confuse anyone so this post is simply a reminder about certain elements of the Scholarship and it does not circumvent nor replace everything that is on the World Nomads site.

So let's go over a few things:

1. The closing date and time is calculated on Australian time. (November 8th 2pm Australian Eastern Daylight time sharp! - Late entries will not be accepted!)
Be sure you know when that equates to your local time so that you don’t miss the cut off!

2. Don’t leave it until the last minute to upload your entry, as there may be a backlog.

3. Remember to supply image captions!

4. Use the 300-word essay to tell me about yourself, your photography, and what you hope to achieve through your photography. It’s your opportunity to sell yourself! Do NOT use this text to tell me about the images you submitted that’s what image captions are for.

5. Revisit the Judging Process and read all ten points to be sure you have done what is asked.

6. DO NOT EXCEED THE 300 WORD ESSAY LIMIT! Entries that exceed the limit CANNOT win!!! Seriously, just do a word count on your text.

7. This is not an event for professionals, be sure you do not qualify as such (see Am I Eligible video).

8. Don’t include a weak image in your submission, if you have four great images and one weak image leave it out.

9. Your images are meant to illustrate a PLACE you have visited, and the SENSE OF PLACE must be palpable.

10. The ‘place’ does not have to be exotic it can be your neighbourhood, your bedroom or the other side of the planet it really doesn’t matter.

11. If you are a finalist I WILL penalise you for excessive treatment of your images. Losing a single point might cost you the Scholarship so please be conservative when preparing your images! If in doubt please re-read the Digital Adjustment Guidelines.

12. We are looking for an individual with potential, and the greatest desire to listen and learn. I am working on this assignment and will need your assistance; this will take patience and focus.

Have fun and good luck!

Jason

  Jason Nov 2, 2011 8:04 PM

91

My guidance was the number of characters (1800) around 300 words, but sometimes is a little more than 300 (in the filling form the count is made through characters). Is this a problem? I have no more than 1800 characters but little more than 300 words..

Thanks

Hi RP,

300 words or less please.

Cheers,
Alicia

  RP Nov 3, 2011 11:36 AM

92

Alicia,
I realize that i have changed the name of the photos gallery, bit not the TAG. Can you confirm that everything is ok?

Thanks

  rui bernardino Nov 3, 2011 11:56 AM

93

@rui, can you send me the link to your blog?

  scholarships Nov 3, 2011 12:05 PM

94

Hi Everyone,

As the deadline to apply draws near, I would like to wish you all the best of luck in your applications.

However, when you apply, please carefully follow in steps as outlined in the post above. All applications must be made by clicking the "apply now" button and then filling in the correct information and creating a Journal as it prompts you to do.

Take care to make sure you upload your photos, add appropriate captions, and include your 300 word essay. As you can appreciate, we have hundreds of applications so cannot check to see if we have received each one.

It is your responsibility to check here:
http://adventures.worldnomads.com/scholarships/?m=5 to see that your application has been received (refresh the page if it does not automatically appear, it may take a moment).

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships Nov 3, 2011 12:10 PM

95

Yes the application is there in the link that you sent, but the name of the gallery I have changed the original (2011 photo scholarship). Is this a problem?

Thanks

  ruibernardino Nov 3, 2011 12:20 PM

96

@ruibernardino That is fine, it is still tagged as a scholarship entry.

  scholarships Nov 3, 2011 2:21 PM

97

Guys 300 words or less! NOT 301, 305 or 357, but 300 or less. Play it safe and do 295 if need be! Put your text in Word and do a word count because that's what I will do! If you cannot get that part right you cannot survive the Scholarship!

Cheers

Jason

  Jason Nov 3, 2011 8:07 PM

98

Hi,

Dose all 5 pics have to be on the same animal/animals or could it be different animals captured on one place.

pls advice me

cheers

dilantha.

  dilantha Nov 4, 2011 5:04 AM

99

Hi Everyone,

Just copying this exchange across from my facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jason-Edwards-Photography/298894843459544

Annalisa Burello Hi Jason, I'm working on the pictures to submit and I have a couple of questions: can I watermark the photos, if yes, where and what size and DPI should they be, i.e. web format or print format? I cannot find those answers anywhere. Thanks!
Yesterday at 18:43 · Like

Jason Edwards Photography Hi Annalisa you can if you like but just be certain it doesn't distract from the image. Just make the longest length 1024 pixels and the resolution 72ppi and the site will do the rest.
23 hours ago · Like
Annalisa Burello Thank you JAson. I have submitted my images however I cannot see any other's journal. I thought once I opened an account, I would be able to see other people's entries. Is that not the case?
21 hours ago · Like

Jason Edwards Photography Not sure, as I don't review entries prior to closing. Please copy and paste this thread into the competition blog on World Nomads and Alicia will let you know. Best to put all queries there in case others are having the same issues. Cheers J

98) Dilantha, They do not have to be of the same animal but the story and sense of place you have visited must be prominent.

Best

Jason

  Jason Nov 4, 2011 8:25 AM

100

gracias a NACIONAL G. POR DAR ESTE TIPO DE OPORTUNIDADES.SIMPLE MENTE UN SUEÑO QUE HAY QUE FOTOGRAFEARLO.GRACIAS

  aldo hugo rosas lopez Nov 5, 2011 10:06 AM

101

hey guys i ve tried it now three times to get the application thru and not sure if it worked. anyway. i pressed the apply button before changing my text. and i was wondering how i can make changes to this. i found a link that says editing but i can not change the text is there anything else i could do? thanks ahead melina

  linidesign Nov 6, 2011 9:08 AM

102

Hi, I've submitted my application but unable to see/check that it went through using that link previously supplied (http://adventures.worldnomads.com/scholarships/?m=5).
To provide my photo set, I gave the link to my flickr set, but after clicking 'apply now' it still went to create a journal in World Nomads, so I uploaded my photos there too. Will this be a problem? Thanks, K.

  kathant Nov 6, 2011 11:30 PM

103

Hey World Nomads. I only just discovered this competition and have to make an entry within a day. I'm a little confused as to how to actually enter.
Under 'Journal Summary' there are a lot of options into my entry. Where do I write my 300 word essay?
Also, it states I can create a Flickr set for my entry. Sine the photos I intend to put up are already on Flickr, it seems the logical thing to do, however, do I now write my captions under the Flickr photos? And how do I pass on my Flickr URL so that you guys recognise them as my entries?

Thanks in advance,
Edwin Quast

  edwin_quast Nov 7, 2011 1:29 AM

104

Dear Mr. Jason, As the ultimate winners is only one ... why cant the 2, 3rd places have some consolation prizes .. in terms of cash, gifts etc...
All the finalisits should get the Certificacate of Achievement at least in pdf ..(soft copy).. afterall are sloging hard to get into final league ... and it promotes the brand Worldnomads as well...
Regards
Thomos , Professor Fine Arts, Singapore

  Thomas Nov 7, 2011 2:07 AM

105

@linidesign - We have your entry here: http://journals.worldnomads.com/linidesign/photos/31304/Worldwide/My-Photo-scholarship-2011-entry. You can make changes by going to our adventures homepage (http://adventures.worldnomads.com) and logging into your journal and clicking edit.

@kathant We have your entry here: http://journals.worldnomads.com/kathant/photos/31407/Worldwide/My-Photo-scholarship-2011-entry. It looks like your photos are not the Flickr set, but are the ones uploaded to Journals. Either way, it is fine.

@Edwin Click the "Apply Now" button, it will walk you through the application steps, provide the space to enter your 300 word essay and provide a box to link to your Flickr photos.

@Thomos Thank you for your suggestions, however there can only be one winner. We will take on board your suggestions for next year.

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships Nov 7, 2011 9:43 AM

106

Hi Alicia,
Sorry to be a bother, but I checked that link that you supplied (http://journals.worldnomads.com/kathant/photos/31407/Worldwide/My-Photo-scholarship-2011-entry) but it says that there is no journal found...
Is there a way for the flickr set to be seen by you? (link is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathant/sets/72157628065034338/)
Thanks,
Kathy

  kathant Nov 7, 2011 10:04 AM

107

Hi Kathy, check the link again, I am able to see your full application. However, if you want to use the Flickr set for your entry, you will need to delete this entry and blog and start again, creating a new journal and linking your Flickr set on the application form.

  scholarships Nov 7, 2011 10:12 AM

108

@africanskysafaris, we have.

Everyone, please check this link once you have entered to see if we have received your submission: http://adventures.worldnomads.com/scholarships/?m=5 (You may need to refresh the page first).

  scholarships Nov 7, 2011 3:40 PM

109

Hi Everyone,

Let the mayhem begin! For those of you who have completed your entries well done, for those that are still working on them please remember we close at 2pm Sydney time Tuesday November 8.

Best of luck to all!

Jason

  Jason Nov 7, 2011 8:54 PM

110

Hi Jason. I have one question. I understand you want minimal post production on any image submitted. I have a photograph which was taken without an ND filter. The photograph is of a cloudy, but bright sky and mountains. Because of this, I purposely exposed the sky properly, then added the necessary fill light using Lightroom to correct the mountains. If a finalist, would I likely be penalised for this? Thank you. Hailey.

  hailey-lane Nov 7, 2011 10:39 PM

111

hi Alicia, is there a way to modify the contact information we provide while submitting the application?
I need to change the phone number.
thanks

  picatoria Nov 8, 2011 2:02 AM

112

Hi!

This is such an amazing contest and looking through all the other applications is really inspiring!
However, I have uploaded my pictures but am unable to see them? Perhaps I just need to be a little bit more patient, but since the deadline is approaching fast I would like to know whether my upload was successful?
Many thanks!

Best wishes,
Anna Lisa

  annalisaloves Nov 8, 2011 5:08 AM

113

113) Hailey, One of life's great dilemmas, where to calculate your exposure. Well done on giving it thought at the time, many people just rely on software to fix this issue. Using a little fill-light is ok in the scenario you have described just be mindful of keeping the balance between the land and sky looking natural.

114) Picatoria, Alicia will get back to you when she wakes up I'm sure!

115) Anna Lisa, Have a look at Alicia's post in 110) and then post again if you cannot see your entry.

Cheers

Jason

  Jason Nov 8, 2011 7:53 AM

114

Hello Alicia! Have just been looking through some of the incredible entries for the competition but cannot see my entry amongst them. I applied last night and have a folder titled 'My Photo Scholarship Entry 2011' but am just a little worried it is not displayed with all the other entrants.

Let me know if its there! Thank you so much :)

  claire2951990 Nov 8, 2011 1:30 PM

115

Hi!
I hope its not too late to voice this question- I uploaded my photos via a Flickr Set but I've noticed that the colours in slideshow on my Worldnomads gallery are significantly different to the original versions on the Flickr site. Can you someone please explain this or clarify which version will be used for judging?

  isis375 Nov 8, 2011 1:37 PM

116

Hi,

Thanks for the advice! Had already done that several times and waited a few hours, but still nothing. Have uploaded the pictures again and again..everytime it said that upload was successful, but I couldn't find the photos.. Have tried to upload it using another tool as well, but errors seem to occur everytime while trying this.
However, I did receive a confirmation e-mail after my very first attempt of my application..did you receive my application after all (perhaps ten-fold:-))?

Best wishes,
Anna Lisa

  annalisaloves Nov 8, 2011 1:40 PM

117

Hi Alicia,
How do I know if my work is accepted into the Gallery of the Scholarship?!
Here is the link to my journal: http://journals.worldnomads.com/greenerthangrass/

Thank you in advance,
Blerta

  greenerthangrass Nov 8, 2011 3:08 PM

118

Hi Claire, Anna Lisa and Bierta, we have your entries.

Thanks,
Alicia

  scholarships Nov 8, 2011 3:53 PM

119

Thank you to everyone that applied, the late entries have now closed. Good luck to all!

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships Nov 8, 2011 4:13 PM

120

I didn't understand the difference in time zones. I thought I had a few more hours when this contest closed. If there's anything that can be done (no I don't think I deserve any more a chance than anyone else), please let me know. I desparately wanted this.

Good luck to all of you who entered!

  Carl Gregory Nov 9, 2011 3:08 AM

121

can i submit my photographs now/

  bhaskar sehanabish Nov 9, 2011 3:33 AM

122

Carl Gregory---
my photos are found at worldnomads.com/carlgregory
please please accept. again, this would meant the world to me. i'm not special, just want this very very much, even just to enter.

  carlgregory Nov 9, 2011 3:47 AM

123

http://journals.worldnomads.com/carlgregory/

  carlgregory Nov 9, 2011 3:48 AM

124

please see these. i didn't understand the difference in the time between Kansas City and the Australian time listed on the site. My apologies. Please accept. http://journals.worldnomads.com/carlgregory/

  carlgregory Nov 9, 2011 4:53 AM

125

I remember that somewhere in introductory text for the scholarship 2011 which was on your page before deadline (and now is not any more) was written something like this: Tell us about your photos and why you should be chosen in no more than 1800 characters (around 300 words). I have described myself in less than 1800 characters but in few words over 300. After I had read that line about 1800 characters I wasn't worried about 300 words but now I can't find anywhere text saying 1800 characters, only "Entries over 300 words will be ineligible for judging". Are you going to count the characters or only words and would I be disqualified in that case?

  300 words Nov 12, 2011 12:14 AM

126

Hello Worldnomads,

I recently entered my journal to participate in the Travel Photography Scholarship. When rechecking if my journal appears in the entry list, I noticed that all of my pictures appear really dull and faded out.
The actual pictures though are not like that at all! They should be way more colourfull! What is the problem here? I didn't get any upload errors, so I am kind of desperate that they show up in such a dull manner. Can you help me here please? Can I upload the pictures again?

Another thing I noticed is that the predefined character limitation for the text in your upload form didn't match the 300 word limit which shows up somewhere else in the competition guidelines. Since I saw the character limitation in the upload form I didn't bother any more about the actual word count. Now I realized that I actually exceeded the 300 word limit. Is there any way I could change my text again?

Thank you very much for your support!

Here is the link to my jounal: http://journals.worldnomads.com/davidlohmueller/photos/32140/Germany/My-Photo-scholarship-2011-entry

  davidlohmueller Nov 15, 2011 3:11 AM

127

Can't wait :)

  m Nov 26, 2011 12:36 AM

128

Fingers crossed. Your will be done!!

  ariel rabanes Nov 27, 2011 2:36 AM

129

Hi, was wondering when will winners be announced, I thought it was supposed to be today?
Thanks!

  jlitrov Dec 1, 2011 3:59 PM

130

Hi! I would like to know if there is going to be another chance of this event?. i always wanted to learn from someone with real life experience of shooting and capturing great picture's of wild animals :)

  Migee Roy Aricayos Mar 16, 2012 12:16 AM

131

very good

  مشهدی Mar 12, 2016 10:16 PM

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.