Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

Travel Video Documentary Scholarship - Our Winner!

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 28 June 2011 | Views [16665] | Comments [7]


 

It's been tough Nomads. Really tough. We reviewed your documentaries from the edge of our seats; amazed, horrified, inspired, heart broken, and left contemplating our very existence!

We received over 170 entries from every crevice of the earth. The places you are travelling, the people you are meeting and the stories you are telling astound us. 

Thank you to everyone for sharing your important stories with us and congratulations to our winner, runners' up and shortlisted applicants, all of which were exceptional.

WINNER: Cassie De Colling - Line of Control

Judge's comments: This was a beautifully filmed and wonderfully told story.  The little story of hope in one family told against the backdrop of a war torn region was engaging and moving without falling into the overtly moralistic or sentimental world.  The imagery gave a great sense of the world and narrative a clear and concise structure in such a short space of time.  A worthy winner.

UPDATE! Read Cassie's blog about her experiences on assignment in Arnhem Land.


Congratulations Cassie! You will be flying to Arnhem Land with Virgin Australia, joining the World Expeditions Marine Rescue Program. Your assignment under mentorship from Trent O'Donnell is to make a short documentary for Nat Geo Adventure!


RUNNERS' UP

Second Place: Erin Morris - Courage 

Judge's comments:This film has a great rawness and energy to it.  It was a wonderful character driven piece that gave such a clear sense of one man's plight under incredibly difficult circumstances.  The final moment between father and son was handled with lovely observational soft touch.

 


Third Place: Ernesto Anaya Adalid - 0 Longitude

Judge's comments:A spectacular looking piece with great characters and an interesting tale of bureaucracy in the strait between Alaska and Russia.  The film had a great sense of adventure and local community in an incredibly harsh climate. I thought the sense of place was conveyed really well and the visuals showed an wonderful, creative eye. 


Fourth Place: Thomas Allan - Letter from Lapland

Judge's comments:If Tom's letter from Lapland is a taste of what's to come from this
aspiring documentary filmmaker then we can't wait to check our inboxes for
the next instalments of his journey. Beautifully shot and scored, it
captures the isolation and haunting beauty of the arctic with a real sense
of warmth. Now if only I could remember where my bike is?


Fifth Place: Ralph Lam - A Short Travel Documentary

Judge's comments:If there's one thing that always gets to me it is finding out what other people are thinking and in Ralph's 'A Short Travel Documentary', that is
exactly what I feel like I'm getting. It's a very simple film, a series of interviews of a handful of travellers passing through one area in Malaysia but the result is terrific.  The filmmaker has turned the premise of a travel film on its head and come up with gold - he isn't travelling, everyone else is, he's just capturing their, sometimes amusing, thoughts as they pass by.  Why didn't I think of that?


THE SHORTLIST

(In alphabetical order)

Nisar Ahmed - Voice from Pakistan

Rodrigo Alvarez - Mexican Roots

Josephine Boxwell - Rural Voices in British Columbia

Sarah Choi - Stories of Empowerment

Jessica Crump - Rediscovering the Lost City of Columbia

Oana Dragan - Whoa is Me

Simon Doree - Consider This Before You Enlist

Wajeeha Fatima - Hindu Community in Pakistan

Frank Ferendo - The Bridge Diaries

Nate Gross - Arequipa Volunteer Adventure

Jacqui Hocking - Creating Peace Through Cultural Pride

Stephanie McWilliam - Korean Encounters

Analeen Hermans - Tia

Mir Mukarram Hossain - Crama

Manuela Lorga - My Jazz

Noella Marquez - The Art that Lives 

Alex Pena - Mexico: Narco Encounters

Ilyas Sarib - Village 14

Danie Van der Westhuzien - A Local Encounter of Hope

Louis Young - Street by Street

Kevin Zeichmann - In the Blood: Tradition of Hunting

 

 


Random Award for Awesome Entries!

(Formerly the Nomads Community Choice Award - but our Facebook liking tool had a bug, and we couldn't honestly calculate the likes. We're very, very sorry! So we picked a entry number randomly...)

 

Goes to Bryan Myers for Composting at Crawford High School

Lucky you Bryan, a new video camera is coming your way!

Travel. Learn. Create.

For all of you aspiring creatives, check out our Scholarships page and sign up to hear about our latest opportunities, tips, advice and interviews with industry professionals in the fields of photography, travel writing and filmmaking.

And if you're lucky enough to be mentored by one of our industry professionals, it could kick start your career!

About WorldNomads.com

WorldNomads.com keeps you travelling safely.  Whether you’re off for a long weekend, looking for the ultimate adventure or living the nomadic dream, you’ll stay safe with Travel Insurance you can buy online, anytime, and the latest travel safety advice. Learn how to flirt in over 25 languages with our free language guides and have an experience of a lifetime on a travel scholarship. We'll also help you share your journey with a free travel blog, get answers from other nomads to all of your travel questions (try the new 'Ask A Nomad' iPad app) and donate to a local community development project through our Footprints program.  

WorldNomads.com - an essential part of every adventurous traveller's journey.

 

 

 

Comments

1

Beautifully shot. Beautifully edited. Wow!

  Simon Jun 29, 2011 11:15 PM

2

Thanks Simon

  cassie de colling Jun 30, 2011 1:30 PM

3

Hi Cassie,

I submitted an entry, but yours is so much better than mine. A really great little story, great visuals and wonderful storytelling. Good luck in Australia!

Charlie

  Charlie Lafave Jul 3, 2011 2:16 AM

4

great film,
would love to see the full version!

Congrats on winning :)

  gunni Jul 3, 2011 7:01 AM

5

Surprised and happy to have been placed fourth! Well done Cassie and all the other winners and shortlisteds - really impressive work.

  Tom Allen Jul 4, 2011 7:41 PM

6

winer´s work is just awsome, thanks for this chance i´ll keep my finger on it. now i know moe about you guys, great NGO!...

  Ernesto Anaya Adalid Jul 6, 2011 8:44 PM

7

Congratulations to Cassie and all of the applicants! So many inspiring stories and this has been a great opportunity for them to be heard.

  Erin Morris Jul 9, 2011 9:45 PM

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.