Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

Travel Video Documentary Scholarship 2011 - Arnhem Land, Australia

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 2 April 2011 | Views [146128] | Comments [62]

-NOW CLOSED-

 

Go on assignment to the Arnhem Land, far north Australia and have your doco broadcast on Nat Geo Adventure!



Applications close June 16, 2pm (Australian Eastern Standard Time)


Kick start your documentary career by going on assignment to one of the most remote Yolngu Aboriginal communities in Arnhem Land (far north Australia), and be immersed in traditional Yolngu Aboriginal knowledge and understanding of the land, sea and animals. 

Flying to the Northern Territory with Virgin Blue,you will take part in a special project with World Expeditions, working alongside the indigenous Yolngu Aboriginal rangers to restore sea country by removing and cataloging marine debris, the by-product of South East Asia’s fishing industry.

Under the mentorship of documentary producer Trent O'Donnell (who filmed our Positive Footprints series screened on Nat Geo Adventure Channel)you will find your story and create your own short documentary.

It will then be considered for broadcast on Nat Geo Adventure! That's right - the holy grail documentary makers work their whole lives to achieve!

Your assignment brief

Join a 7 day  World Expeditions' community project in North East Arnhem Land, working alongside the indigenous Yolngu Aboriginal rangers to restore sea country by removing and cataloging marine debris, the by-product of South East Asia’s fishing industry.

The virtually pristine  coastline is facing a significant environmental threat from marine debris washed in on the ocean currents. Discarded fishing nets, rubber footwear, empty bottles and plastic bags are all carried by these currents from throughout the South East Asian region and deposited on the Arnhem Land Coast. All of this waste is a major threat to the wildlife, as animals get caught up in the nets and choke on the plastic rubbish.

Not only will we be using high-tech techniques for dealing with this modern problem, but also relying on and learning from Traditional Yolngu Aboriginal knowledge and understanding of the land, sea and animals. The group may break into mens and womens groups to share in the gender-specific aspects of culture and lifestyle. Men can learn traditional hunting and fishing and women can be involved in traditional bush medicine, bush food and handicrafts.

This project aims to work alongside and under the direction of Yolngu Aboriginal Rangers from Dhimurru and Laynhapuy Land Management as we together collect, catalogue and dispose of the marine rubbish.

Working with the Yolngu people under the mentorship of Trent O'Donnell you will find your story and film your own short documentary.

What's the deal?

* We'll fly you to the Northern Territory, Australia with Virgin Blue from your country of residence.

* You need to be available to be in Australia from September 3-9, 2011 to participate in the project.

* Under the mentorship of Trent O'Donnell you will shoot a video documentary about the experience.

* You will keep a daily diary about your time on the trip and upload this plus pictures you've taken to your WorldNomads.com travel journal.

* You will edit together your 5-10 minute documentary and submit it to WorldNomads.com within 2 months of your return.

Watch Mo Soliman, our 2010 winner talk about his experience

Who can apply?

* Any non-professionals can apply - this is open to film students, or anyone who's trying to build a career in documentary making!

* Minimum age 18 with a current, valid passport and you must available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in anyway.  

* You may be a resident of any country.

* You should be a mad-keen auteur with a lust for adventure and burning desire to be a documentary maker.

* You must be fit and healthy as moderate levels of physical work are involved, and happy to camp for 7 days.

Am I eligible? What makes a non-professional?

This is a grey area, and very tricky to put measures around. We appreciate documentary filmmaking is a difficult industry to crack and there are a lucky few who can count themselves as a professional full time documentary maker.

This scholarship is very much about the mentorship opportunity, and the judging panel will be selecting someone who they feel will most benefit from the learning opportunity. So if you have already been commissioned to make documentaries or have had your work broadcast on numerous occasions, it is unlikely you will be selected.

You will be asked to outline your experience to date in the submission process, and it will be the judging panel who decides who is most suitable based on their video and written component. So whilst we are not stipulating exactly what does and does not constitute a professional, think about the spirit of the mentorship program and whether you think you would make the most ideal candidate.    

Apply now

If you want it, you've got to show it. To apply you need to:

1. Compile a maximum 3 minute video documentary in English based around the theme; 'Local Encounters'. Remember, 3 minutes maximum means that 3:01 videos will be ignored. In a professional video environment, you need to be able to deliver up to the exact time, we're no different in this case. Do not go over !

Your 'local encounter' may be from your travels or somewhere closer to home. You should explore how this encounter changed your perspective on the world. The theme is open to interpretation, so be creative! The documentary may be compiled from previous travel videos you've shot.  

It's up to you to convince our judging panel through your video that you have the spirit for adventure and passion for filmmaking to be chosen for this scholarship. Our judging panel will be looking for;

* The ability to convey a strong narrative within a short time-frame
* Originality
* A visually engaging story
* A candidate whose passion for documentary filmmaking makes them an obvious choice to benefit from this professional mentorship opportunity.

We strongly recommend you look at the previous winners (below) to give you an idea of the quality we are looking for. Entries compiled solely of still shots will not be considered, you need to demonstrate your skill with the moving image.

2. Upload your video : Go to Youtube.com to upload your video

3. Add your video to Worldnomads.com: Create a journal and fill in the entry form, then follow the simple instructions to upload your video into the post. In under 200 words tell us about your video;

- What inspired your subject matter?

- What has been your documentary experience to date?

- What is your ambition as a documentary maker and what would winning this scholarship mean to you?

You will be judged on what you write as much as your video submission, convince us you are a worthy candidate!

4. Additionally, we will be offering a Random Award for Awesome Entries whereby every eligible entry, who has met all the criteria, will go into the draw to win a digital video camera worth AUD$2500! (This award will have no bearing on the scholarship judging).

One entry per person (no longer than 3 minutes, again remember, entries that exceed this will not be considered)


Watch our 2010 winner's & shortlisted documentaries

Watch our 2009 winner's & shortlisted documentaries

Entries close June 16, 2011, 2pm (Australian Eastern Standard Time)



DOWNLOAD A SCHOLARSHIP POSTER;

A4 SIZE
A3 SIZE

USLETTER SIZE


 

CONDITIONS OF ENTRY - Please read!

Travel. Learn. Create.

For all of you aspiring creatives, check out our Scholarships page and sign up to hear about our latest opportunities, tips, advice and interviews with industry professionals in the fields of photography, travel writing and filmmaking.

And if you're lucky enough to be mentored by one of our industry professionals, it could kick start your career!

About WorldNomads.com

WorldNomads.com keeps you travelling safely.  Whether you’re off for a long weekend, looking for the ultimate adventure or living the nomadic dream, you’ll stay safe with Travel Insurance you can buy online, anytime, and the latest travel safety advice. Learn how to flirt in over 25 languages with our free language guides and have an experience of a lifetime on a travel scholarship. We'll also help you share your journey with a free travel blog, get answers from other nomads to all of your travel questions (try the new 'Ask A Nomad' iPad app) and donate to a local community development project through our Footprints program.  

WorldNomads.com - an essential part of every adventurous traveller's journey.

Comments

1

I'm not a professional... that is why, I did not understand, what does this mean:

"In a professional video environment, you need to be able to deliver up to the exact time, we're no different in this case. Do not go over !"

What is professional video environment?

  Pearl Keary Apr 7, 2011 6:23 PM

2

Pearl,
I believe they are specifically talking about your video for the upload; put it right at 3 minutes - anything more means you can't follow directions or make it work while anything less means you couldn't think of enough to maximize your time.
As for a professional video environment it's all about what you make it, though it should always be fun but focused. As long as you're keeping language, overall content and editing style appropriate in the final product I think you will be doing all they want.
Best of luck to you if you're entering!

  Victoria Smith Apr 8, 2011 4:06 AM

3

Hi!
Can we enter more than one video?
How do we post in facebook the video so you count the votes?

Hi Marta, there is only ONE entry per person.

  Marta Apr 9, 2011 8:32 PM

4

Hi Pearl & Victoria,

Yes the video needs to be a maximum of 3 minute (it may be shorter, but not longer) . In previous years we had applicants posting videos sometimes up to 10 minutes and the judging panel would dismiss them outright because it demonstrated they could not follow a brief.

What we mean by those comments is that we are looking for someone who wants to start a career in the very competative Documentary industry, so if you can't read and interpret a basic brief (i.e no more than 3 minutes) then you probably wont make a great candidate for the scholarship.

So in a nutshell - make sure your video doesn't exceed 3 minutes!

Good luck,
Amanda

  scholarships Apr 11, 2011 10:44 AM

5

I turn 18 on July 14th of this year. May I still apply?

  Javier Apr 13, 2011 2:02 PM

6

Hello Javier,

Yes this is fine, so long as you are 18 by the time of travel in September.

Good luck!
Amanda

  scholarships Apr 13, 2011 3:34 PM

7

Hello, I just wanted to clarify: If I was a videographer that sold to tourists very simple videos of their vacations (which means, there isn't a storyline whatsoever, merely moving pictures (if not poorly exposed) of the sights) for living, does that count as 'professional', thus disqualify me? I am an aspiring documentary filmmaker with barely any experience in the field in dire need of a proper mentorship. Am I still eligible to enter the contest?

  Thea St. Mary Apr 19, 2011 6:35 PM

8

Hi! If I interview people for the documentary, they have to speak in english? or I can put some subtitle if they can't?

  Jeronimo Apr 27, 2011 5:32 PM

9

Hi Thea, you are fine to still apply.

Jeronimo - using subtitles in fine.

Thanks, Amanda

  scholarships Apr 28, 2011 10:31 AM

10

Hey.. im a film student from new delhi, India. I have done my masters in filmmaking.
I have been working in tv. Im not really a professional in documentary making.. Can i apply???

  Vani Aggarwal Apr 29, 2011 11:46 PM

11

My question is: Are you guys covering only tickets or all the expenses during the time there?

  Juliana May 1, 2011 4:18 AM

12

Amanda, could you answer my question about the expenses, please?

  Juliana May 4, 2011 11:00 PM

13

Juliana- All inclusions are outlined in the terms and conditions, so please make sure you read them. Most of the expenses are covered (flights, food, ground transport , accommodation etc)

Vani - if you're not working as a documentary maker then you are fine to apply.

  scholarships May 10, 2011 9:19 AM

14

Hello!

I don't have any institutional qualification on documentary; neither do I work with any professional equipment! Am I still eligible? I am already participating and can't believe the response I had since the day of participation!!!

Hence I thought to share this information with the officials.

Indeed it is a great window, WorldNomad has opened for the people, who desperately needs a platform to expose their talents and skills!

Kudos to "Travel Scholarships from WorldNomads.com"...

  zayedh May 13, 2011 1:18 AM

15

Dear World Nomads people,
I have a simple question, it is not clear for me whether or not, only one participant is eligible or we can join as a small group (3 persons). Maybe I misunderstood somewhere the rules of the contest but I would really like to be sure of it.
Thanks in advance for your answer,
Tania

  Tania Penuela May 13, 2011 1:32 AM

16

I think I found my answer, while re-reading the terms. Sorry for asking the question... Thanks and Regards

  zayedh May 13, 2011 12:31 PM

17

Hi Tania,

The opportunity is for an individual, so we need to see an example of your solo work.

Thanks, Amanda

  scholarships May 16, 2011 1:44 PM

18

Is it possible to see the entries of the participants? Under what should we search them?
Thank you!

  Marta May 16, 2011 8:25 PM

19

I am from Indonesia and my English is not so good .. if I could join the program.

  ismoe widjaya May 16, 2011 9:19 PM

20

Hi I am from Laos and I am interested in applying for this scholarship. I wonder if the program would kindly cover the plane ticket cost from My country to Australia if I won this scholarship.

Thank you

  Mattiphob May 16, 2011 9:26 PM

21

Hi Marta - yes all entries will view here;
http://adventures.worldnomads.com/scholarships/?m=4

Ismoe - as the mentor is English speaking and the assignment is in an English peaking country, you need to be able to speak and understand English

Mattiphob - yes flights are included. Make sure you read the full terms and conditions for all inclusions.

  scholarships May 17, 2011 9:25 AM

22

I am very interested in this but will turn 17 on august 1, 2011, can I still go???

  Diego May 18, 2011 8:34 AM

23

I just wanna know that how many the ticket i can get?, because my team it's 4 ppl, Thanks :)

  Jay Jay May 19, 2011 3:02 AM

24

Hi all , please make sure you read the terms and conditions which before posting questions.

Diego - you must be 18.
Jay Jay - this is an opportunity for one person.

Thanks, Amanda

  scholarships May 19, 2011 9:37 AM

25

dear friends:
I have a question, I can use footage that has been used in other clips from youtube, although I helped record but this work was edited by someone else and was pubic internet "?

  abraham bermudez May 19, 2011 10:22 AM

26

Can we use static pictures in the video?

  RUBEN May 19, 2011 1:12 PM

27

Please help me. Sometimes all my likes/tweets are disappearing with only sentence "Be the first to like it" and few minutes later they are all coming back!

Is it some type of technical error? I'm afraid this may affect in "Nomad Community Choice Award"!


-Regards

  zayedh May 21, 2011 12:06 AM

28

i am not professional of documentry field. can i apply for documentry schollership from pakistan

  bilal ajab May 21, 2011 3:09 AM

29

hi my name is saeed kamil and i am from pakistan can i apply for this

  saeed kamil May 21, 2011 5:17 PM

30

hey me zahie from pakistan balochistan i have so many real pics and videos which i collect from pakistan's Balochistan's different placess hope you'll like it. and i want to apply for this so may i please?

  zahie ali May 22, 2011 5:01 AM

31

Hello Abraham - the work must be edited by you alone. You need to be able to demonstrate your ability to create a documentary on your own.

Reuben - you may include static photos, but I wouldn't recommended using solely static images. The judges want to see your skill with moving images.

Residents from any country may apply as per the terms and conditions.

Thanks, Amanda

  scholarships May 23, 2011 10:58 AM

32

Dear Amanda,

I think you missed my question. I have a problem with link sharing. Since I submitted my entry on 10th April, 2011 and I have been sharing this link as for Nomad Community Choice Award:

http://journals.worldnomads.com/zayedh/story/71753/Worldwide/Documentary-Scholarship-2011-entry

unfortunately, on May 21, I came to realize that the link directing from "http://adventures.worldnomads.com/scholarships/?m=4" is not the same. And the link is-

"http://journals.worldnomads.com/zayedh/story/71753/Worldwide/Documentary-Scholarship-2011-entry?__utma=1.946830489.1305213081.1305971716.1306138231.6&__utmb=1.2.10.1306138231&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1306138231.6.6.utmcsr=journals.worldnomads.com|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/scholarships/story/71379/Australia/Travel-Video-Documentary-Scholarship-2011-Arnhem-Land-Australia&__utmv=1.|3=last-blog-author=scholarships_=1,&__utmk=12522420"

-Which shows I have no community likes or tweets!!

Kindly will you let me know, how this issue will be considered?

Regards

I can see that you have 6 tweets & 265 likes. Your issue might be because of your browser or browser cache.

  zayedh May 23, 2011 6:17 PM

33

Dear Amanda
Thank you for answering my last question.
Can you tell me if the worldnomad.com offers this type of scholarship every year and if it is around same season as this one?
Thx in advance.
Regards.

  Juliana May 24, 2011 12:11 AM

34

hey im kebek,age 21.Im very interested in this really.I have experiance in travelling in diffrent part of Ethiopia.But im not professional,so can i take part pleas?

  tasfalam(kebek) May 25, 2011 12:05 AM

35

If the submitted piece had a crew of three but where happy to send the director/camera man would that be ok?

Can the submitted piece be sent via vimeo as oppose to youtube and have a
password assigned to it so only the judging panel can view it?

Can the australian assignment be edited by someone else at home?

  Keith May 25, 2011 6:59 AM

36

what of if you have to add some still photos to support the documentary for to make it firm?

  Dela Yd Becks May 25, 2011 7:02 AM

37

Juliana - yes we run the scholarship program annual and includes 3 scholarships each year in the fields of Travel Photography, Travel Documentary and Travel Writing. The assignment times do vary so best thing to do is sign up to the Scholarship mailing List for latest news;
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=18873565876

Tasfalam & Deal - refer to comment no. 31 for answer.

Keith - no, the assignment must be edited by the scholarship recipient, but you may do this form anywhere in the world. The application video must be an example of your own work.

Thanks, Amanda

  scholarships May 25, 2011 9:59 AM

38

Thank you very much, Madam.

Regards from Bangladesh!

  zayedh May 25, 2011 11:40 PM

39

Dear madam, I think something is really wrong with me. I can't see neither any "Like" button nor the "Like" number, on my link!! Kindly please check the link and let me know if actually you can see my Facebook "Like" button in this link:

http://journals.worldnomads.com/zayedh/story/71753/Worldwide/Documentary-Scholarship-2011-entry

Please excuse me for bothering you, Madam. I'm really worried about it.

Eagerly waiting to hear from you!

  zayedh May 26, 2011 5:42 AM

40

I just wanted to know if only one candidate will be selected for the scholarship program or will it be a group. We have to participate as an individual that is clear to me but how many participants can be selected?

  nida May 29, 2011 12:29 AM

41

Hi Zayed - there seems to be a problem at the facebook end with this but we are looking into it.

Nida - this is an opportunity for one person.

  scholarships May 30, 2011 11:49 AM

42

Thank you very much Madam. I just checked my link through- http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/like and it still showed the number of likes is retained with my link. I hope the problem will be solved soon as this will really motivate the participants to share their work with their friends and be more inspired! Kudos to WorldNomad Scholarship officials for arranging such competition.

Once again please take my regards for you kind support!

  zayedh May 30, 2011 2:53 PM

43

I would really like to be part of this adventure, I come from Kenya where nomads still exist and they are indeed an interesting group of people who will not let go of their rich culture. I would love to be travel the world and visit the nomads, live their lifestyle , share their culture and make a documentary that will draw many people to this adventure.

  FAUNA CARREN May 31, 2011 5:19 PM

44

my video had already gathered several new likes yesterday (about 38), and now it doesn't have any...:(

I think this will greatly affect this contest...what a bummer. Have you figured anything out?

http://journals.worldnomads.com/hippie-on-http/story/73249/Worldwide/Connect-Share-Love

  Lilia Villa Jun 2, 2011 7:23 PM

45

Till when will the voting be open? Thanks! :)

  marta Jun 2, 2011 8:36 PM

46

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments and we appreciate how frustrating the FB 'likes' situation has been for you all, as it has been for us. There is an obvious problem with the integration of the FB like button on some of the pages and we have been talking to Facebook about this. Our developers have been working to fix it over the past couple of weeks but so far we have not been able to rectify it satisfactorily.

This is the first time we have run the Nomads Choice Award, so we apologise that we had not picked up on this Facebook bug before. We are truly sorry for the discrepancies, particularly for those of you who got your entries in early and have been sharing their stories around.

At this stage we feel the only fair thing to do is turn the Nomads Choice Award into the Random Award for Awesome Entries whereby every eligible entry which has met the criteria will go into a draw and we will pick the winner randomly. We realise this may not seem fair to some of you, but we have to honestly say that due to the Facebook bug, we have no way of fairly judging the winner based on number of Facebook likes.

We apologise profusely for this inconvenience but hope you are still inspired to share your stories with your communities, as they are stories worth sharing.

Obviously this in no way affects the selection of the Scholarship Recipient which is purely based on merit, it only effects the "Nomad People's Choice" award of the camera.

Thank you all for your patience with this very frustrating matter.

Amanda Byrne
Worldnomads.com

  scholarships Jun 8, 2011 9:14 AM

47

Thanks and Best Regards

  zayedh Jun 8, 2011 12:18 PM

48

That's a good way to do it, but that means that poor quality videos can win a great camera. Maybe the jury can give out two prices.
In anyway it will be fine, it is a great scholarship for all of us who are interested in filmmaking and media!

  marta Jun 8, 2011 11:51 PM

49

Hi !

I am so much interested to apply for this scholarship, I have made many documentaries as solo and i have already shoot stuff for this scholarship to apply but i am concerned about my Age cause i have born in 01/02/1994 which means i am 17 SO CAN I APPLY ?

  Woqas sabeh Jun 12, 2011 8:35 PM

50

Are credits included in the 3 minute time limit?
Thanks so much!

  WndrLst Jun 13, 2011 2:00 AM

51

Woqas - as per terms and conditions you must be 18. You can apply next year.

WndrLst - Please keep entire submission under 3 minutes.

Thanks, Amanda

  scholarships Jun 14, 2011 1:39 PM

52

Hey,
I was wondering if i should write subtitles or speak in the video or it doesn't matter ? and if it's ok to include pictures between the videos

  Reem Jun 14, 2011 6:40 PM

53

Hi I have a last-minute question. If I did the editing, but I did not do all the filming, can I still enter the video? Thanks.

  Madeline Jun 16, 2011 5:10 AM

54

When I was uploading my video it I was under the impression from one of the pages of information that I was able to upload it to vimeo as well and post it like that. It works. Am I still qualified?

Videos from youTube or Vimeo are fine - our journals support embedding from both

  oana_dragan Jun 16, 2011 12:09 PM

55

Thanks for the quick response. I really appreciate it!

  oana_dragan Jun 16, 2011 12:15 PM

56

oh no: (, I confused with the time zone and I could not send my work on time, I can still send it??

  abeto Jun 16, 2011 2:09 PM

57

Hello Gunni - yes we can see your application.

Abeto - Im sorry but we cannot allow late entries. We have been running the promotion for 3 months, so It wouldn't be fair to everyone else.

  scholarships Jun 16, 2011 3:20 PM

58

Yeah thanks, I figured out how to change the url :)
Had made the mistake of sending a custom url, but guess it didn't work with the embedding code.

Regards

  gunni Jun 17, 2011 2:43 AM

59

Can u plz extend the data by one more week

  haneef Jun 18, 2011 12:39 AM

60

Hello there!

for some reason I don´t see my video (your forgotten neighbour) in the submissions list.. Did you get it and is it in the voting? The application was a little bit troubling and I couldn´t double check it, if it was really online. I applied on time and it would be really really unhappy for me if it wouldnt be considered as it took me several weeks of work and the completion of the text even took some days of my vacation in Greece. It´s not that easy to find internet here, that´s why I just found out about it some days later. Could you check and inform me, if it did work out?

Thanks a lot!

Lena

... my application is here by the way: http://journals.worldnomads.com/lena1982

Hi Lena, you can see your entry in the official list here: http://adventures.worldnomads.com/scholarships/default.aspx?m=4&p=2

  lena1982 Jun 19, 2011 8:31 PM

61

Great, thanks a lot!! :-)

  lena1982 Jun 21, 2011 5:51 AM

62

Can you please tell me that when they will announce the winner of this scholarship and what will happen with the rest of documentaries.?

You can see the winner on http://adventures.worldnomads.com/

  woqas sabeh Jul 4, 2011 1:43 PM

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.