Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

Travel Writing Scholarship winner becomes Rough Guides author!

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 5 October 2010 | Views [9732]

Amy Palfreyman in Japan

Amy Palfreyman in Japan

Amy Palfreyman, winner of our 2010 Travel Writing Scholarship has just received her first travel writing commission - writing for the Australia Guide for Rough Guides no less!

She will be updating the South Australia chapter in its entirety. Alone. All 100 pages of it. This will take her over almost 10,000kms during a 6 week journey through vineyards, beaches, riverside towns and, most exciting (and scary) of all, the South Australian outback - including driving the famed Oodnadatta Track from Marree past lake Eyre. From east to west and north to south.

And what did Amy have to say about her experience as winner of our Travel Writing Scholarship? 

"The World Nomads Travel Writing Scholarship is the best leg-up into the travel writing industry I could’ve ever hoped for - and then some.  Having the chance to learn from a well-respected, experienced and knowledgeable travel writer, while working in-country on an actual guide book are things that most aspiring travel writers could only dream about... things I never even dreamed I would have the chance to do! 

In sending me to Japan to work with Simon Richmond for the Travel Writing Scholarship, World Nomads handed me all of this on a sushi-covered silver platter.  My most sincere thanks to all involved for affording me such a wonderful opportunity."

Yay Amy! We look forward to reading about your Aussie adventures.

You can follow Amy on her blog - theseroads.

Travel. Learn. Create.

For all of you aspiring creatives, check out our Scholarships page and sign up to hear about our latest opportunities, tips, advice and interviews with industry professionals in the fields of photography, travel writing and filmmaking.

And if you're lucky enough to be mentored by one of our industry professionals, it could kick start your career!

About WorldNomads.com

WorldNomads.com keeps you travelling safely.  Whether you’re off for a long weekend, looking for the ultimate adventure or living the nomadic dream, you’ll stay safe with Travel Insurance you can buy online, anytime, and the latest travel safety advice. Learn how to flirt in over 25 languages with our free language guides and have an experience of a lifetime on a travel scholarship. We'll also help you share your journey with a free travel blog, get answers from other nomads to all of your travel questions (try the new 'Ask A Nomad' iPad app) and donate to a local community development project through our Footprints program.  

WorldNomads.com - an essential part of every adventurous traveller's journey.

 

 

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.