Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

Closed - Video Documentary Scholarship, 2007

KENYA | Thursday, 14 June 2007 | Views [22528]

If you've ever imagined what it's like to be a video documentary filmmaker, on the road in remote parts of the world, giving something back to a community in need, then the video documentary scholarship is your opportunity to live and film that dream.

Go on assignment with professional filmmaker Trent O'Donnell.

Kiwanje Ndege Primary School Community Project, Kenya

Applications close: August 13th 2007

 



 

Photographs © World Expeditions 2006

 


Kick start your career by going on assignment to Kenya with professional documentary producer Trent O'Donnell, who filmed Positive Footprints in Nepal last year and create your own short documentary as part of a World Expeditions community project travel trek.

The lucky scholarship recipient will also receive a travel video pack from Lonely Planet to shoot and edit your documentary, which includes:

* Sony HDR-HC5 video camera
* Professional mike
* Pro headphone
* Low pro camera bag

This is your opportunity to present your work to a wide global audience through featured presentation on the LonelyPlanet.tv and worldnomads.com web site's.

What you'll be doing

We'll fly you in from your country of residence and you'll obviously have to be available to be in Kenya between September 9th and September 16th 2007.

* Under the mentorship of professional documentary film maker Trent O'Donnell you will shoot a video documentary using your new equipment on the theme of community project travel and the impact it has only both the local community as well as the travellers that participate.

* You will keep a daily diary about your time on the trip and upload this plus pictures you've taken to your world Nomads travel journal.

* You will edit and upload your 5 - 15 minute documentary to the LonelyPlanet.tv web site within 3 months of your return. (If your documentary is longer than 5 minutes in duration, it needs to be cut into 5 minute episodes to be uploaded to Lonely Planet.)

Where you'll be going

The Kiwanje Ndege Primary School, in the Laikipia region of Kenya, endeavours to educate up to two hundred local children, however the school's facilities are in desperate need of repair. Over the four project days you'll be involved in the building of new desks and general refurbishment of the classroom facilities. You'll also assist in installing a water tank and guttering system which will allow the school to harness rainwater, a much needed commodity during the dry season. Once finished the work will have a lasting impact on the lives of the local children. Then your final days will be spent enjoying a safari in the Samburu National Park, viewing the diverse wildlife, a fitting end to your time in Kenya. For more details on the trip, go to World Expeditions

Who can apply

* To be eligible you have to be a film / video or communications student at a recognised educational institution.

* Minimum age 18

* You are a mad-keen auteur with a lust for adventure and a desire to enhance your documentary filmmaking skills.

Apply now

If you want it, you've got to show it. To apply you need to:

1. Compile a 3 minute (or less) short video based around the theme of 'Places I love to visit'. This could be compiled from previous travel video you've shot, pictures you've taken or it could even be your favourite local destination.


2. Go to LonelyPlanet.tv, and sign up and follow the instructions to submit your video online (make sure you comply with LonelyPlanet.tv's terms of use!). Tag your video with the following code #pwn001 when you upload it. You can only submit your entry in one of the following formats: .mov, .avi, .mpg, .mpeg, .qt, .mp4, .3gp, .mp2, .dv or .wmv.

3. Copy & paste the LonelyPlanet.tv link to your video submission (url) in the online application form. It's up to you to convince our judging panel through your video that you have the spirit of adventure and passion for filmmaking to be chosen for this scholarship.

4. Complete the 2007 World Nomads Video Documentary scholarship application form (see link below) which includes personal details and a 300 words (or less) essay on why you should be chosen.

Applications close Monday 13th August 2007.

 

 

-- this Scholarship has now closed --



CONDITIONS OF ENTRY

1. Information on the scholarship prize and how to enter forms part of these conditions of entry. By applying for this scholarship you agree to be bound by these conditions of entry and all decisions of the scholarship promoter ( World Nomads) which are final in all matters relating to the promotion. The scholarship and these conditions of entry are void where prohibited by law. Any changes to these conditions of entry will be published on the World Nomads website at www.worldnomads.com.

2. The promoter is World Nomads Pty Limited of 1306 World Tower, 87-89 Liverpool St, Sydney, NSW 2000.

3. Employees of World Nomads, Lonely Planet, World Expeditions and their subsidiaries and affiliated companies, and members of their immediate families or households, are ineligible to apply for this scholarship.

4. Entry is free. No purchase necessary. You must be older than 18 to enter and currently actively studying film and or video / communications student at a recognised educational institution. You must also have a valid passport. To enter, submit an English language short film of less than three minutes in length on the theme " Places I love to visit”. You can submit your entry by doing the following:

1. Go to Lonely Planet TV, and sign up and follow the instructions to submit your video online (make sure you comply with LonelyPlanet.tv’s terms of use!). Tag your video with the following code #pwn001 when you upload it. You can only submit your entry in one of the following formats: .mov, .avi, .mpg, .mpeg, .qt, .mp4, .3gp, .mp2, .dv or .wmv.

and

2. Go to http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/post/XXXX.aspx and follow the directions to fill out the application form and tell us in English in 300 words or less why you should be chosen as the 2007 Video Documentary Scholarship recipient.

5. The scholarship entries can be submitted from 9.00am AEST on June 15th 2007 and entries close at 5.00pm AEST on 13 August 2007. Entries are deemed to be received at the time of receipt by World Nomads and World Nomads records are conclusive as to the time of receipt. All dates are subject to change if necessary in World Nomads discretion.

6. The Scholarship recipient will be selected by a panel of three judges including one independent judge judging the best overall entry from a review of all eligible entries. The best overall entry will best interpret both "Places I love to visit" and best articulate why the author of the entry should be awarded the 2007 World Nomads Video Documentary Scholarship. The selection will be conducted at World Nomads Pty Limited of 1306 World Tower, 87-89 Liverpool St, Sydney, NSW 2000 on Friday 17th August 2007. The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into, including in the event of a dispute. Chance plays no part in determining the successful scholarship recipient. The successful applicant will receive the following

  • - 8-Day community project travel trip to Kenya with World Expeditions and mentorship from World Nomads documentary filmmaker, Trent O’Donnell.
  • - Trip includes *7 breakfasts, 7 lunches and 6 dinners *national park and conservation fees *services of a driver and cookout throughout safari who will take care of all camp chores *combination of camping and permanent camp accommodation on a twin share basis on project and safari sections *private safari transportation with a maximum of 5 group members per vehicle.
  • - Return Economy airfares from nearest major international airport to project destination organised by World Expeditions.
  • - Travel Video pack from Lonely Planet TV including, Sony HDR-HC5 video camera, Professional mike, Pro headphone, Low pro camera bag.


7. The scholarship recipient must produce / edit a video documentary of no less than 5 minutes, and no longer than 20 minutes in duration post participating in the World Expeditions Community Project Trip. This documentary must focus on “community project travel and the impact it has only both the local community as well as the travellers that participate”. If longer than 5 minutes, the documentary must be edited by the scholarship recipient ( using your own editing equipment) into equal parts duration, not exceeding more than 5 minutes each in duration. The recipient must then submit this documentary to Lonely Planet TV no later than 3 months after returning from the World Expeditions Community Project trip. The scholarship recipient must also keep a daily travel diary and upload diary entries ( no less than 200 words per daily entry) to the World Nomads website, via an online travel journal, no later than 2 weeks after returning from the World Expeditions Community Project trip.

8. The Scholarship recipient will be notified by email and the recipient's name will be published on the World Nomads and Lonely Planet TV websites within 14 days after selection.

9. If the Scholarship recipient is not immediately identifiable or contactable World Nomads will make reasonable efforts to identify and/or contact the Scholarship recipient. If the Scholarship recipient has not accepted the prize by 24 August 2007, the next best entry will be selected as scholarship recipient.

10. No responsibility is accepted for late, lost or misdirected mail or any errors or failures in internet or other communications. World Nomads reserves the right to cancel or modify the scholarship promotion if, in its sole discretion, the administration of the scholarship promotion is impaired for technical or other reasons beyond its reasonable control and, in such an event, may select the Scholarship recipient from all valid entries received prior to the impairment.

11. Scholarship prize consists of:

1. One return economy flight, to trip destination, Kenya, departing from the nearest international airport to the scholarship recipient's home (provided by World Nomads - approximate value AU$3000). The carrier's normal terms and conditions of travel will apply.
2. A World Expeditions Community Project Trip to Kenya (provided by World Nomads - approximate value AU$1890).
3. Lonely Planet TV Travel Video Pack including Sony HDR-HC5 video camera (approximate retail value AU$1,999.00);
Professional mike (approximate retail value AU$800);
Pro headphone (approximate retail value AU$200); Low pro camera bag (approximate retail value AU$500);
4. Travel Insurance provided by World Nomads (approximate retail value AU$85)

Total prize value of scholarship is approximately AUD$8,474.

12. The value of the prize is accurate at the date of commencement of the scholarship promotion. World Nomads accepts no responsibility for any variation in the value of the prize after that date. The prize cannot be refunded, transferred, substituted or redeemed for cash. World Nomads reserves the right in its sole discretion to substitute the prize with cash or a prize of comparable value if the prize cannot be awarded as described for any reason.

13. The scholarship recipient will be responsible for all personal expenses and any other expenses, fees and costs connected with the prize that are not included in the prize description. The scholarship recipients are also responsible for all transportation to the point of departure, including accommodation costs prior to and following the travel dates in order to meet flight connections.

14. The scholarship recipient must hold valid passports. Entry visas will be organised 14 days in advance of departure through World Expeditions.

15. The scholarship recipient agrees that acceptance of the prize by the scholarship recipient is conditional upon compliance with all relevant laws, rules and regulations and upon the scholarship recipient releasing World Nomads, Lonely Planet, World Expeditions and their affiliates, subsidiaries, directors, officers, employees and agents, from any and all liability, claims, demands and causes of action for any personal injury or other loss or damage (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) suffered in connection with the acceptance or use of the prize, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law. World Nomads reserves the right to disqualify the scholarship recipient at its absolute discretion in the event of non-compliance or the failure to provide such releases.

16. As the author of your entry, you warrant that your entry is original and your own work. It will be a condition of entry that both scholarship applicants and the scholarship recipient will grant a non exclusive copyright license to World Nomads, Lonely Planet TV and World Expeditions to reproduce the work for subsequent promotion of the World Nomads Travel Scholarships, promotion of Lonely Planet TV, promotion of World Expeditions trips and both the Lonely Planet, World Nomads and World Expeditions websites for general promotion.

You can view Lonely Planet's privacy policy at http://www.lonelyplanet.com/privacy/. You can view World Nomads' privacy policy at http://www.worldnomads.com/privacy.aspx.

 

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.