Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

2010 Travel Documentary Scholarship to the Amazon - NOW CLOSED

ECUADOR | Thursday, 6 May 2010 | Views [184629] | Comments [55]

  

Go on assignment to the Ecuadorian Amazon and have your video broadcast on Nat Geo Adventure!

    

APPLICATIONS NOW CLOSED


Kick start your documentary career by going on assignment into the Amazon with documentary producer Trent O'Donnell (who filmed our Positive Footprints series screened on Nat Geo Adventure Channel).

You will take part in a special project with Gap Adventures, exploring the Amazonian jungle and homestaying with the indigenous Quichua community. 

Working alongside Trent O'Donnell as he makes a documentary on Sustainable Tourism, you will be mentored to help you find your story and create your own short video documentary.

You'll also be accommodated by our friends at Hostelworld.com both pre and post trip.

The lucky scholarship recipient will have their documentary considered for broadcast on Nat Geo Adventure! That's right - the holy grail documentary makers work their whole lives to achieve !

Your assignment brief

You will be joining Bruce Poon Tip (Gap's founder) as he revisits Ecuador's spectacular Andean Interior and Amazon lowlands. It's been 20 years since the first Gap Adventures trip was run in the Amazon and alongside Bruce you will gain unique access and insight into the lives of the Quichua community understanding how sustainable tourism has positively impacted their community. 

You will also see first hand how the Footprints Network can make a difference to communities in need as Simon Monk (founder of WorldNomads.com and the Footprints Network) visits a project providing schooling equipment to the local Quichua primary school.

Homestaying in the Amazonian jungle with the Quichua community, you will work alongside Trent as he mentors you on how to find and film your own story.

What's the deal?

* We'll fly you to Quito, Ecuador from your country of residence.

* You need to be available to be in Ecuador from October 2-9,2010 to participate in the project.

* Under the mentorship of Trent O'Donnell you will shoot a video documentary about the experience.

* You will keep a daily diary about your time on the trip and upload this plus pictures you've taken to your World Nomads travel journal.

* You will edit together your 3 minute documentary and submit it to World Nomads within 2 months of your return.

 

Photo courtesy of NomadicHands

Who can apply

* Anyone can apply - this is open to film students, lovers of film or anyone who's trying to build a career in documentary making!

* Minimum age 18 with a current passport.

* You should be a mad-keen auteur with a lust for adventure and burning desire to be a documentary maker.

* You must be fit and healthy as moderate levels of trekking are involved.

Apply now

If you want it, you've got to show it. To apply you need to:

1. Compile a 3 minute video documentary in English based around the theme; 'Local Encounters'. Your 'local encounter' may be from your travels or somewhere closer to home. You should explore how this encounter changed your perspective on the world. The theme is open to interpretation, so be creative! The documentary may be compiled from previous travel videos you've shot.  

It's up to you to convince our judging panel through your video that you have the spirit for adventure and passion for filmmaking to be chosen for this scholarship. Our judging panel will be looking for;

* The ability to convey a strong narrative within a short time-frame
* Originality
* A visually engaging story
* A candidate whose passion for documentary filmmaking makes them an obvious choice to benefit from this professional mentorship opportunity.

We strongly recommend you look at the previous winners (below) to give you an idea of the quality we are looking for. Entries compiled solely of still shots will not be considered, you need to demonstrate your skill with the moving image.

2. Upload your video : Go to Youtube.com to upload your video

3. Add your video to Worldnomads.com: Create a journal and fill in the entry form, then follow the simple instructions to upload your video into the post. In under 200 words tell us about your video;

- What inspired your subject matter?

- How did you plan your piece?

- What challenges did you face?

- What is your ambition as a documentary maker?

You will be judged on what you write as much as your video submission, convince us you are a worthy candidate !

One entry per person (no longer than 3 minutes)


Watch our 2009 winner's documentary

Watch our 2008 winner's documentary which has been broadcast on Nat Geo Adventure.

Entries close August 1, 2010

(midnight, Australian Eastern Standard Time)



DOWNLOAD A SCHOLARSHIP POSTER;

A4 SIZE
A3 SIZE

USLETTER SIZE



CONDITIONS OF ENTRY



1. Information on the scholarship prize and how to enter forms part of these conditions of entry. By applying for this scholarship you agree to be bound by these conditions of entry and all decisions of the scholarship promoter  (WorldNomads.com Pty Ltd ) which are final in all matters relating to the promotion. The scholarship and these conditions of entry are void where prohibited by law. Any changes to these conditions of entry will be published on the World Nomads website at www.worldnomads.com.

2. The promoter is WorldNomads.com Pty Ltd of Level 5, 24 York St, Sydney, NSW 2000.

3. Employees of WorldNomads.com, Nat Geo Adventure, Gap Adventures, Hostelworld, their subsidiaries and affiliated companies, and members of their immediate families or households, are ineligible to apply for this scholarship.

4. Entry is free. No purchase necessary. You must be older than 18 to enter and hold a valid passport, and be available to be in Ecuador from October 2-8, 2010 . To enter, submit an English language short film of three minutes or less in length on the theme "Local Encounters”. You can submit your entry by doing the following:

a) Go to Youtube.com, to upload your video. You must agree to the terms and conditions stipulated by Youtube.com.


b) Go to http://www.worldnomads.com/scholarships/video_scholarship_2010_application.aspxsign up for a journal and fill in the brief entry form. Upload your video into your journal  post  and  tell us in English in 200 words or less; what inspired your subject matter, how you planned your piece, what challenges you faced and what your ambition is as a documentary maker.


5. The scholarship entries can be submitted from 9.00am AEST on May 6 2010 and entries close at 11.59pm Australian Eastern Standard Time on August 1, 2010. Entries are deemed to be received at the time of receipt by WorldNomads.com and WorldNomads.com records are conclusive as to the time of receipt. All dates are subject to change if necessary in WorldNomads.com discretion.

6. The Scholarship recipient will be selected by a panel of three judges including one independent judge judging the best overall entry from a review of all eligible entries. The best overall entry will best interpret both "Local Encounters" and articulate the written component as set out in 4b). The selection will be conducted at World Nomads.com of Level 5, 24 York St, Sydney, NSW 2000 in the week commencing Monday August 2 2010.  The final winner will be announced by Tuesday August 17, 2010.  The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into, including in the event of a dispute. Chance plays no part in determining the successful scholarship recipient. The successful applicant will receive the following;

- 6 day Inland & Amazon Tour  in Ecuador  with Gap Adventures and mentorship from World Nomads documentary filmmaker, Trent O’donnell.
- trip includes all meals, internal transfers & transport, services of tour leader throughout, accommodation based on twin share and homestay.

-Two nights accomodation with hostelworld.com in Quito.
- Return Economy airfares from nearest major international airport to project destination organised by WorldNomads.com .

7. The scholarship recipient must produce / edit a video documentary using  their  own equipment of  3 minutes in duration, post participating in the trip. This documentary must focus on the trip and its impact it has on the local community. The recipient must then submit this documentary to WorldNomads.com no later than 2 months after returning from the tour. The scholarship recipient must also keep a daily travel diary and upload diary entries ( no less than 200 words per daily entry) to the World Nomads website, via an online travel journal, no later than 2 weeks after returning from the Gap Adventures Trip.

8. The Scholarship recipient will be notified by email and the recipient's name will be published on the World Nomads website within 14 days after selection.

9. If the Scholarship recipient is not immediately identifiable or contactable WorldNomads.com will make reasonable efforts to identify and/or contact the Scholarship recipient. If the Scholarship recipient has not accepted the prize by August 16, 2010, the next best entry will be selected as scholarship recipient.

10. No responsibility is accepted for late, lost or misdirected mail or any errors or failures in internet or other communications. WorldNomads.com reserves the right to cancel or modify the scholarship promotion if, in its sole discretion, the administration of the scholarship promotion is impaired for technical or other reasons beyond its reasonable control and, in such an event, may select the Scholarship recipient from all valid entries received prior to the impairment.

11. Scholarship prize consists of:

- 6 day Inland & Amazon Tour  in Ecuador  with Gap Adventures  (valued at AU$1279)
- Return Economy airfares from nearest major international airport to project destination organised by World Nomads  (valued at approx. AU$2500)

- 2 nights accommodation at hostelworld,com in Quito (valued at approx AU$100)
- Travel Insurance (valued at approx. AU$150)
Total value of prize is approximately AU$4029


12. The value of the prize is accurate at the date of commencement of the scholarship promotion. WorldNomads.com accepts no responsibility for any variation in the value of the prize after that date. The prize cannot be refunded, transferred, substituted or redeemed for cash. WorldNomads.com reserves the right in its sole discretion to substitute the prize with cash or a prize of comparable value if the prize cannot be awarded as described for any reason.

13. The scholarship recipient will be responsible for all personal expenses and any other expenses, fees and costs connected with the prize that are not included in the prize description. The scholarship recipients are also responsible for all transportation to the point of departure, including accommodation costs prior to and following the travel dates in order to meet flight connections and any tips/gratuity during the trip.

14. The scholarship recipient must hold a valid passport. Entry visas will be organised 14 days in advance.

15. The scholarship recipient agrees that acceptance of the prize by the scholarship recipient is conditional upon compliance with all relevant laws, rules and regulations and upon the scholarship recipient releasing WorldNomads.com, Nat Geo Adventure
, GAP Adventures, Hostelworld and their affiliates, subsidiaries, directors, officers, employees and agents, from any and all liability, claims, demands and causes of action for any personal injury or other loss or damage (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) suffered in connection with the acceptance or use of the prize, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law. WorldNomads.com reserves the right to disqualify the scholarship recipient at its absolute discretion in the event of non-compliance or the failure to provide such releases.

16. As the author of your entry, you warrant that your entry is original and your own work.

17.  It will be a condition of entry that both scholarship applicants and the scholarship recipient will grant a non exclusive copyright license to WorldNomads.com, Nat Geo Adventure, Hostelworld and GAP Adventures to reproduce the work for subsequent promotion of the World Nomads Travel Scholarships. You can view World Nomads' privacy policy at http://www.worldnomads.com/privacy.aspx

Travel. Learn. Create.

For all of you aspiring creatives, check out our Scholarships page and sign up to hear about our latest opportunities, tips, advice and interviews with industry professionals in the fields of photography, travel writing and filmmaking.

And if you're lucky enough to be mentored by one of our industry professionals, it could kick start your career!

About WorldNomads.com

WorldNomads.com keeps you travelling safely.  Whether you’re off for a long weekend, looking for the ultimate adventure or living the nomadic dream, you’ll stay safe with Travel Insurance you can buy online, anytime, and the latest travel safety advice. Learn how to flirt in over 25 languages with our free language guides and have an experience of a lifetime on a travel scholarship. We'll also help you share your journey with a free travel blog, get answers from other nomads to all of your travel questions (try the new 'Ask A Nomad' iPad app) and donate to a local community development project through our Footprints program.  

WorldNomads.com - an essential part of every adventurous traveller's journey.

Comments

1

Hi I'm 17 years old this year...

Can I apply?

My parents can sign a parental release form or something...

Thank you!

  Isa May 7, 2010 8:15 PM

2

Hi Isa May,

Sorry you must be at least 18 to apply. This is an annual program - so please apply next year!

  scholarships May 11, 2010 9:07 AM

3

What about working as a pair???

  Sarah May 12, 2010 2:33 PM

4

Is there I top age? I'm a former newspaper photographer making the transition into documentary film/video making

  pjnoir May 13, 2010 8:17 AM

5

Hi all,
This opportunity is for an individual, so no pairs or groups sorry. And not age limit, as long as you are over 18 and fit and healthy as there is some trekking involved.

  scholarships May 13, 2010 9:13 AM

6

Are applicants allowed to submit more than one application video?

  Question May 14, 2010 2:18 AM

7

I am winning this year!!! InshaAllah

  Salman Sirhindi May 20, 2010 2:06 AM

8

How can we see other contestants entries? I can't find any on YouTube...Could anyone send us a link?

  as123 May 24, 2010 5:46 AM

9

Hi all - as per above, only one video entry per person.
Videos will be tagged on our site as "video scholarship 2010 entry, so you can search for them that way;

http://adventures.worldnomads.com/tags/?t=2010+Travel+Video+Scholarship

  scholarships May 24, 2010 1:33 PM

10

Hello... I am a budding documentary film maker and think this would be a perfect, dream opportunity for me!! I am from the UK though... Can I apply?

  Jason Peters May 31, 2010 10:08 AM

11

Hey Jason - yep, this is a global opportunity. You can be a resident of any country.

  scholarships Jun 1, 2010 10:16 AM

12

Hi i am from Moldova and i want to apply...

  Cris Jun 1, 2010 6:39 PM

13

I WANT TO APPLY FOR IT CAN I APPLY.

  OLAOYE JOSHUA Jun 1, 2010 10:44 PM

14

Nama Munawir. Umur 32 Tahun Pekerja,an pelaut

  munawir makrom Jun 2, 2010 11:54 AM

15

Hi, I'd like to know where is the point of departure for the flights?

Thanks

  annaiprou Jun 2, 2010 8:20 PM

16

Hello, everybody !
I would like to find out whether should I start my application process now and add demanded video within one month or I had better to complete my application at once ?
Sincerely, Javid !

  Javid Zaidov Jun 2, 2010 11:38 PM

17

Hi all - best to wait and put up your video and written response at the same time. There is no advantage in getting your application up early.

Regarding dates of travel - we are trying to finalise these asap, but it will be sometime in the last two weeks of September for approximately 7 days. Will confirm shortly!

  scholarships Jun 3, 2010 9:23 AM

18

i am a Nigerian,i belive i have the required experince needed.But i am 29yrs.Am i qualify?.

  charles wokoma Jun 8, 2010 4:04 AM

19

Hi all,

Please make sure you read the terms and conditions carefully before posting your video application, Many people are putting up videos longer than three minutes which will not be considered.
Your video must be 3 minutes or less.

  scholarships Jun 8, 2010 10:17 AM

20

hi I´m ecuatorian I live in quito and I know english can i apply?

  xavier Jun 11, 2010 9:48 AM

21

Hi, I am a professional documentary film maker. Am I eligible too?

  Shilpi Sharma Jun 15, 2010 2:15 AM

22

Hello!
How can I view the videos winners from previous years?
Thanks see you soon

  Sofia Pimentão Jun 15, 2010 8:37 AM

23

Good Oppotunity!
I'm minor film student based in Bangkok,anybody wanna do the project as a collaboration.

  stereo clef Jun 15, 2010 1:10 PM

24

Hi all,

- You can view last year's winning video as well as the runner's up here;

http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/story/33582/Worldwide/Documentary-Scholarship-the-winner!

- Professional film makers will not be eligible. This is a mentorship for emerging talent.

- Yes, you can apply from Ecuador or anywhere else in the world.

- This is an opportunity for an individual, so you cannot submit as part of a collaboration.

  scholarships Jun 15, 2010 1:19 PM

25

Annaiprou - We will fly the winner from their nearest international airport - wherever that may be.

  scholarships Jun 15, 2010 1:20 PM

26

I am loving the sound of this - and the videos I've watched so far. There will be many networking opportunities come out this between filmmakers - even if we don't win! x

  Jamie Ryan-Ainslie Jun 18, 2010 9:18 PM

27

it will be nice pletform for adventure lover..............@

  Dev Jun 19, 2010 10:42 PM

28

Hi. is it 3 minutes including credits? do we have extra time. When you say not for professional film makers, what means to be a pro? in my case i have a little experience in this field, but i have maaaaany things to learn.
Thanks a lot, hoppe to win...

  andres toro giraldo Jun 22, 2010 10:29 AM

29

Hi all,
Please note the dates for the trip have been finalised - October 2-9, 2010.
Yes, the video must be 3 minutes or less. You won't be penalised for going a few seconds over but this is part of the brief. As a documentary maker, you need to demonstrate that you are able to read and follow a brief correctly.
If you are working professionaly in the field of making documentaries, ie. derive the majority of your income from this field, then you are a considered a professional.

Thanks.

  scholarships Jun 28, 2010 9:47 AM

30

Hi,

I'm interested in submitting a documentary, however I have to borrow equipment & editing software from a friend. I know that in the terms & conditions indicate that it must be your own, just wondering how sticky that point is? Or is the point rather that you must have access to the equipment?

Many thanks,

Jennifer

  Jennifer Jun 30, 2010 6:37 AM

31

How can i apply for this? i am interested

  tracteur tondeuse Jul 2, 2010 8:08 AM

32

Hi. What about the backgroud music, may i use any commercial song?
music rights?
Thanks.

  andres toro giraldo Jul 2, 2010 9:57 AM

33

Hi all,

The work must be your own (i.e shot and edited by you), but your submission video can be on any equipment you like.

If you are using music you must have the rights to use it or it must be copyright free. Please read terms and conditions that apply when uploading to youtube - http://www.youtube.com/t/howto_copyright

thanks,
Amanda Byrne

  scholarships Jul 5, 2010 10:12 AM

34

Hi, I am a video producer, and I mainly shoot interviews and company profiles, but not documentaries of this nature. Would I qualify?

  Ros3 Jul 6, 2010 11:51 AM

35

hi! is there any prohibition if a friend helps me with the edition, althought i will do all the travel, interviews, script and camera stuff?

  cris Jul 7, 2010 2:04 AM

36

Hi all,

The video you submit needs to be entirely your own work. We need to see that you are capable of filming and editing your own work, so something edited by a third party is not eligible for this program.

Ros3 yes you would qualify providing you don't work professionally with documentaries.

  scholarships Jul 8, 2010 10:13 AM

37

Heya,
I was thinking of using some old news footage, re-edited, as an intro/method of establishing the story, is this allowed?

  Heath Jul 13, 2010 8:29 PM

38

Hello!

I am a freelance professional filmmaker that has only worked on Independent Narrative films. I've never done a documentary though and would like to start. Can I apply? Also, can the video submission be less than 3 minutes?

  Zorinah Jul 14, 2010 6:42 AM

39

Can our video include an interview?

  Zoe Jul 14, 2010 7:38 AM

40

Hi all,
Heath- using old footage like that is Ok.
Zorinah - this really is a mentorship for non-professional filmamkers, so the opportunity is not appropriate for you. We are trying to give soemone a start.
Zoe - yes! I think you'll find every winner or shortlisted candidate has included interviews. This is a good way of showing the judging panel that you can research and investigate, rather than just film.

  scholarships Jul 15, 2010 1:04 PM

41

Am not much exposed to the film making or handeling Motion Picture Camera but i can say am quite good at freezing the moments(like taking Photoes) will that work?

  Jerry Jul 16, 2010 2:18 PM

42

hello, sorry for being tedious but I am 17 but turning 18 on October 21, is there any chance I can still apply this would be a fantastic opertunity for me as a film student?

  Michael Jul 20, 2010 11:57 AM

43

Hi Michael - sorry you need to be 18 or over at the time of the assignment. Please apply next year!

Jerry - your submission must be video - this is a video documentary scholarship , stills are not acceptable. Perhaps you would be more interested in our photography scholarship.

  scholarships Jul 20, 2010 2:19 PM

44

Hi!
So, the entries will be accepted no later than Sunday night(August, 1st), isn't it?
I just want to make sure,

  nina Jul 22, 2010 1:17 PM

45

hi,
Can we source music in our video?....like from albums and film songs..?

  shaheen Jul 25, 2010 5:53 PM

46

hi i 'm moroccan can i apply and i have 19 yrs

  heend Jul 26, 2010 7:59 AM

47

Hi all,

Yes - the deadline is midnight (australian eastern standard time) on August 1.

If you are using music in your video , you must make sure it is either copyright free or you have paid for the rights to the music. Youtube offers - 'audio swap' which offers up copyright free music ;
http://www.youtube.com/audioswap_main

You can read more about music copyright here ;
http://www.youtube.com/t/howto_copyright

Yes you can apply from Morocco - or anywhere else in the world.

  scholarships Jul 26, 2010 9:43 AM

48

Hi this may sound like a very silly question but does Midnight, August 1st, mean we have all of August 1st to complete or does it mean it ends as soon as the clock strikes 12 on the 31st (starting the day of August 1st). Sorry I know this is last minute but I just received word of this competition a few days ago and would love to enter.... Help.
Thanks... Fingers crossed.

  Still Hope? Jul 31, 2010 2:10 PM

49

Yep! You have until 11:59 p.m. Australian Eastern Time, one minute before Monday, August 2nd.

  tbrandt_20 Aug 1, 2010 9:48 AM

50

Hi. how can i place a picture on my video? thanks.

  deep Aug 1, 2010 1:19 PM

51

youtube upload 71%, 20 minutes remaining.

time remaining to deadline - about 9 minutes,,,,

ah, such is life.

  julian_neurauter Aug 1, 2010 11:42 PM

52

Is there a way to sign up to hear about these contests and deadlines well in advance? I seem to come across them in the final hours before the deadlines, but there's no mention of the next entry period to schedule a calendar event for the next one.
Thanks!

  Jeff Aug 2, 2010 6:17 AM

53

Hi Jeff - yes the best way to keep up date with our scholarship opportunities is to sign up the mailing list;
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=18873565876%22

You can also 'like' us on Facebook where we post regular updates on all our programs;
http://www.facebook.com/worldnomads

  scholarships Aug 2, 2010 9:09 AM

54

Could you inform, please, when and where will the resultes be posted? Thanks, in advence, for your attention.

Teresa Alves

  Teresa Alves Aug 11, 2010 6:32 AM

55

I guess I am not the only one who wanted to find out the winners, by coming to this page. :)

Winners are listed on this page:
http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/story/61582/Worldwide/Travel-Documentary-Scholarship-2010-And-the-winner-is

  ilya Aug 22, 2010 10:29 PM

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.