Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

2009 WorldNomads.com Travel Writing Scholarship - CLOSED

INDIA | Monday, 1 December 2008 | Views [30160] | Comments [80]

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The River Nila offers countless opportunities to witness thrilling folk performances, far beyond the tourist trail. Photo courtesy of David Stott

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

Do you want to be a published travel writer?

Go on assignment to Kerala with Footprint Travel Guides!

 

 

APPLICATIONS NOW CLOSED

Kick start
your travel writing career by going on assignment to Kerala, India. You will enjoy a 10 day tour with The Blue Yonder, offering unique insight into the River Nila civilization. Then, after touching base with your travel writing mentor - David Stott, you will hit the road for 10 days reviewing and writing for the Footprint India Handbook!

Your assignment brief

* We'll fly you to India from your country of residence. You need to be available between February 16th and March 7, 2009 to participate on the Blue Yonder Tour and Footprint travel writing assignment.

*Your Kerala journey with The Blue Yonder will give you unique insight into the River Nila region. With a focus on sustainable tourism, the tour is specifically tailored for the lucky scholarship recipient to inspire your travel writing , and you will be personally escorted by a TBY interpreter.

*The ten day tour will include interactions with musicians, folk artists, bell metal workers, potters, sand miners, fire worshippers and ritualistic healers. You will also be planting saplings at the 'Traveller's Forest' a community driven eco-restoration project.The tour will be based on the age-old tradition of story telling that reveals the uniqueness of the region and the importance of rivers for a sustainable life.

*After touching base with your mentor - David Stott, you will research, review and update essential travel info including accommodation, bars & restaurants, entertainment, shopping, tours, activities and transport, as well as searching out those local secrets that travellers want to read about.

* Your mentor will be at hand to offer guidance, but essentially this is your assignment; you will travel on your own for this part of the journey so you must be comfortable travelling solo. David will assign you a specific local area based on your travelling experience.

* The fruits of your labour will feature in the new edition of the Footprint Inida Handbook, placing your foot firmly in the door of the elusive travel writing industry!

Assignment location

 

 

Photos courtesy of www.theblueyonder.com

 


While Kerala is ranked as a top ten destination in the world, some parts of Kerala still remain unknown and unvisited. The river Nila, the longest river in Kerala (209kms) offers one of the most unique cultural experiences as it has an ancient and steeped in tradition river civilization. Be it the classical Kathakali or ritualistic folk art forms or temple festivals or literary traditions, you can trace a definite and indelible impact of the river Nila in each and every aspect.

Who can apply

* Anyone can apply - it's open to students, emerging and non-professional writers and lovers of travel looking for a career change.

* You must have a high degree of proficiency in written English.

* The opportunity is designed to give you a taste of what it's like to be a travel writer on the road, so you must be comfortable doing some travel on your own.

* Minimum age 18 with a current passport.

* You should be an excellent writer with a lust for adventure travel and a burning desire to be a travel writer!

Apply now

If you want it, you've got to show it. To apply you need to:

1. Write. Craft a 500 word (or less)travel focused essay based on a personal experience around one of the following themes;

a. 'A Journey that Changed Lives'

b. 'Responsible Travel'

c. 'Adventure in an Unknown Culture'

It's up to you to convince our judging panel through your writing that you have the spirit of adventure and passion for travel writing to be chosen for this scholarship. We will be looking for;

- great descriptive ability
- strong eye for detail
- ability to uncover and tell a compelling story
- excellent spelling and grammar and a knack for avoiding clichés

2. Complete an entry form
which includes contact details and a 200 word (or less) essay on why you should be chosen and what the opportunity will mean for you. Your answer will provide considerable weight in the judging process.

3. One entry per person.

4. The entry must be submitted in English.

The recipient of the Scholarship, along with the best entries will be published on the WorldNomads.com website on January 23, 2009.

Read the winning and best entries from our 2008 Travel Writing Scholarship

Applications close midnight January 9, 2009.(AEST)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

Program supported by


 

CONDITIONS OF ENTRY

1. Information on the scholarship prize and how to enter forms part of these conditions of entry. By applying for this scholarship you agree to be bound by these conditions of entry and all decisions of the scholarship promoter (World Nomads) which are final in all matters relating to the promotion. The scholarship and these conditions of entry are void where prohibited by law. Any changes to these conditions of entry will be published on the World Nomads website at www.worldnomads.com.

2. The promoter is World Nomads Pty Limited of Level 5, 24 York St, Sydney, NSW 2000.

3. Employees of World Nomads, The Blue Yonder, Footprint Books and their subsidiaries and affiliated companies, and members of their immediate families or households, are ineligible to apply for this scholarship.

4. Entry is free. No purchase necessary. You must be older than 18 to enter and hold a valid passport. To enter,submit a 500 word(or less)travel focused essay in English based on a personal experience around one of the following themes; 'A Journey that changed Lives', 'Responsible Travel'or 'Adventure in an Unknown Culture'. You are also required to complete an entry form which includes contact details and a 200 word (or less) essay on why you should be chosen and what the opportunity means to you.

5. The scholarship entries can be submitted from 9.00am AEST on October 1, 2008and entries close at 11.59pm AEST on 9 January 2009. Entries are deemed to be received at the time of receipt by World Nomads and World Nomads records are conclusive as to the time of receipt. All dates are subject to change if necessary in World Nomads discretion.

6. The Scholarship recipient will be selected by a panel of three judges including one independent judge judging the best overall entry from a review of all eligible entries. The best overall entry will best interpret both the writing task and best articulate why the author of the entry should be awarded the 2009 World Nomads Travel Writing Scholarship. The selection will be conducted at World Nomads Pty Limited of Level 5, 24 York St, Sydney, NSW 2000 over the week commencing Monday 12th January 2009. The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into, including in the event of a dispute. Chance plays no part in determining the successful scholarship recipient.

7. The successful applicant will receive the following;

- 10 day tour with The Blue Yonder in Kerala, India including accommodation based on homestay and resort, all meals, airport transfers and ground transport, various cultural activities, an escort /interpretor from The Blue Yonder.
- 10 day assignment in the local Kerala area, reviewing and updating for Footprint Guide Books, including a stipend of AU$600 to cover local transport, accommodation and meals.
- return economy airfares from nearest international airport to either Cohcin or Calicut airport India.
- mentorship with travel writer David Stott
- cost of any relevant vaccinations and visas.

7. The scholarship recipient must work with the mentor David Stott, and under his direction, review and update local travel information in Kerala such as accommodation, transport, bars & restaurants, entertainment, shopping, tours & activities. All relevant writing must be submitted to David Stott for review and possible editing no later than March 31, 2009. Some or all parts of the work submitted may be published in the 2010 Footprint India Handbook where the Scholarship recipient will be duely credited.

The scholarship recipient must also keep a daily travel diary and upload diary entries (no less than 200 words per daily entry) to the World Nomads website, via an online travel journal, no later than 2 weeks after returning from the trip.

8. The Scholarship recipient will be notified by email and the recipient's name will be published on the World Nomads websites within 14 days after selection.

9. If the Scholarship recipient is not immediately identifiable or contactable World Nomads will make reasonable efforts to identify and/or contact the Scholarship recipient. If the Scholarship recipient has not accepted the prize within 7 days, the next best entry will be selected as scholarship recipient.

10. No responsibility is accepted for late, lost or misdirected mail or any errors or failures in internet or other communications. World Nomads reserves the right to cancel or modify the scholarship promotion if, in its sole discretion, the administration of the scholarship promotion is impaired for technical or other reasons beyond its reasonable control and, in such an event, may select the Scholarship recipient from all valid entries received prior to the impairment.

11. Scholarship prize consists of:

- One return economy flight, to trip destination, Kerala, India departing from the nearest international airport to the scholarship recipient's home (approximate value AU$3000). The carrier's normal terms and conditions of travel will apply;
- 1 x 10 day tour with The Blue Yonder in Kerala, India (approximate value AU$2000);
- Stipend of AU$600 to cover all costs including but not limited to accommodation, transport and meals whilst travelling in Kerala working on the 10 day Footprint travel writing assignment. (Value AU$600)

Total prize value of scholarship is approximately AUD$5,600

The value of the prize is accurate at the date of commencement of the scholarship promotion. World Nomads accepts no responsibility for any variation in the value of the prize after that date. The prize cannot be refunded, transferred, substituted or redeemed for cash. World Nomads reserves the right in its sole discretion to substitute the prize with cash or a prize of comparable value if the prize cannot be awarded as described for any reason.

13. The scholarship recipient will be responsible for all personal expenses and any other expenses, fees and costs connected with the prize that are not included in the prize description. The scholarship recipient is also responsible for all transportation to the point of departure, including accommodation costs prior to and following the travel dates in order to meet flight connections.

14. The scholarship recipient must hold valid passports.

15. The scholarship recipient agrees that acceptance of the prize by the scholarship recipient is conditional upon compliance with all relevant laws, rules and regulations and upon the scholarship recipient releasing World Nomads, The Blue Yonder and Footprint Books, and their affiliates, subsidiaries, directors, officers, employees and agents, from any and all liability, claims, demands and causes of action for any personal injury or other loss or damage (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) suffered in connection with the acceptance or use of the prize, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law. World Nomads reserves the right to disqualify the scholarship recipient at its absolute discretion in the event of non-compliance or the failure to provide such releases.

16. As the author of your entry, you warrant that your entry is original and your own work.

17. The scholarship recipient agrees to grant exclusive copyright to Footprint Books for all existing text and maps that have been updated by the scholarship recipient and revised, plus all additional text researched and written by the scholarship recipient in accordance with the Footprint travel writing assignment.

18. It will be a condition of entry that both scholarship applicants and the scholarship recipient will grant a non exclusive copyright license to World Nomads, The Blue Yonder, and Footprint Books to reproduce the submitted work for subsequent promotion of the World Nomads Travel Scholarships.

You can view World Nomads' privacy policy at http://www.worldnomads.com/privacy.aspx.

Comments

1

I am in for this....: )

All the best.

  Gaurav Dhwaj Khadka Oct 7, 2008 5:12 PM

2

Why bother to get in touch with universities to offer this scholarship to students when the majority of students will be studying at the time of the placement?

It's a catch-22 situation. You can apply if you're a student, but if you're a student you can't go on the trip.

  Daniel Baird Oct 8, 2008 12:25 AM

3

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your comment. The scholarship is a global opportunity open to people all over the world, so there will be many different university holiday calendars etc in different parts of the world.

We have also found as our scholarship program is a learning opportunity, some students use it as an internship or other special leave opportunity.

There are also 4 opportunities annually - so if the timing of this particular scholarship is not right for you - perhaps another one will be. For example our Travel Writing scholarship last year ran in July, so we try to change it around each year.

Hope you find this information useful, let me know if you have any further questions.

Amanda Byrne

  scholarships Oct 8, 2008 8:17 AM

4

I am interested in applying for the Footprints scholarship, what do you mean by proffessional writer? I have had numerous travel stories published, but I work as a freelancer.

  Ben Stubbs Oct 8, 2008 11:03 AM

5

A very good question, and one that has no cut and dry answer. Essentially this is a learning opportunity for someone who is looking for an introduction into the travel writing industry and importantly to be mentored.

As a guide, for the purposes of the opportunity, we would consider you to be professional if you have been published regularly. If you have had a few stories published, or keep a regular travel blog etc then we would not consider this professional.

Please consider the spirit of the program which is intended to help those with a burning desire to be a travel writer and need some help getting started.

  scholarships Oct 8, 2008 4:21 PM

6

Sometimes the signs are too big to miss.. I have always loved travelling and thought how travel writing would be the ideal job...

Thanks for the exciting opportunity .. I am gonna push myself to take this on...

:)
neha

  Neha Oct 8, 2008 9:53 PM

7

I WANT TO BE PART OF THIS SCHOLARSHIP.THANK YOU

  OGUNTADE JOSHUA OPEYEMI Oct 9, 2008 2:53 AM

8

i think the word ''professional'' might throw a few people i.e me getting inovled in such an amazing oppurtunity. but i will give it a go still as i like a challenge.

ninette

  ninette Oct 10, 2008 3:24 AM

9

i think the word ''professional'' might throw a few people i.e me getting inovled in such an amazing oppurtunity. but i will give it a go still as i like a challenge.

ninette

  ninette Oct 10, 2008 3:30 AM

10

pls i am simon from ghana and pls i want to be parft of the scorlaship so pls help me with that and thank u have a nice day .

  simon bawah Oct 11, 2008 5:27 AM

11

Every time I try to open the application for the scholarship an ad called Survey Monkey opens up. How do I apply?

  shabfarhadi Oct 13, 2008 7:32 AM

12

The application form is in a program called Survey Monkey. So when you click through it will take you to page "WorlNomads.com Travel Scholarships" . You need to click 'next' and this will take you through to the application form.

Please let me know if you are still experiencing any difficulty.

  scholarships Oct 13, 2008 9:31 AM

13

I just graduated in May... could I still enter?

  Christina Oct 13, 2008 6:37 PM

14

Yes - you don't need to be currently studying to apply.

  scholarships Oct 14, 2008 8:27 AM

15

Looks like an unique opportunity.

My next task is to download the application form.

Wish me luck, please.

  Christopher B. Yardley Oct 21, 2008 3:58 PM

16

I was wondering, how many travel writers is The Blue Yonder recruiting this year? One?

  Lamozinda Oct 26, 2008 9:42 PM

17

is this scholarship open to anyone over 18 or only to students? Thank you

  nollaig Oct 27, 2008 3:00 AM

18

Would a writer who publishes about 5 articles a month and works as an online editor be considered a professional writer then though less than 15% of their income comes from writing and other online editorial duties?

  Lola Nov 11, 2008 2:51 AM

19

It is very difficult of course to define 'professional' and perhaps this is the wrong word as we understand that many successful writers still struggle to survive solely as a writer.

Originally the scholarships were only open to tertiary level students. We have since opened the opportunity up to everyone as we appreciate that not everyone has the opportunity to further their education. But essentially this opportunity is targeted at those at a 'student level' - just starting out in their career, still learning the craft or travel writing , looking for mentorship and industry contacts to help them on their way.

It is not really suitable to those writer who are being published regularly, as this would indicate they are past 'student level'.

Does that make things a bit clearer?

  scholarships Nov 12, 2008 10:05 AM

20

Definitely clears things up! Thanks again

  Lola Nov 13, 2008 2:52 PM

21

Hi! I've tried to enter twice now from different computers, but nowhere has there been a space to paste my entry! It simply asks me for 200 words as to why I should win, then displays T&C's, then says 'thanks for entering'. Where am I supposed to submit my written entry? Is there a problem with the system?

  Rebecca Wicks Nov 25, 2008 6:18 AM

22

Hello Rebecca, I have just checked and tested it and there is no problem as far as I can see. Are you able to see Question 5 on the entry form? This is where you paste in your story.

If you are still having trouble, email me directly and I will try to work out what's going on for you;

amanda@worldnomads.com

  scholarships Nov 25, 2008 9:30 AM

23

Hi! I just completed my degree in journalism and I've been studying english since I've begin my student life. I studied english as a second language in school in the last 10 years, always having B in the exames. Is this a vailable degree of proficiency in written English? Thanks!

  Susana Paula Nov 29, 2008 3:20 AM

24

Hi Susana,

This is really something for you to assess yourself. We just want to be clear that part of the judging criteria will include proficiency and ability to express yourself clearly in English. You will not need to provide any proof or explanation about your experience with the English language - just demonstrate it in your essay.

  scholarships Dec 8, 2008 7:51 AM

25

Hi there Amanda,

I am really excited about entering the travel writing scholarship competition, but I also do some photography and I would love to get more experience with travel photography. Can you provide any information about the photography scholarship competition, which I assume will take place later in the year?

In a previous post, I believe you said that World Nomads offers four scholarships a year. Not that I'm neurotic, but I take my work very seriously, and I take a lot of pride in presenting my absolute best work in competitions. I would love to be able to plan ahead a bit for other upcoming competitions.

Thank you so much for your help!

Sarah

  Sarah Dec 9, 2008 3:41 PM

26

Hi Sarah,

We always allow at least 3 months to promote each scholarship opportunity which we feel gives everyone a reasonable amount of time to prepare an application.

Can I suggest signing up to our scholarship mailing list - then you will be amongst the first to read all the details as they are released;

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=18873565876

The photography Scholarship is scheduled for December 2009, so information will be released around July 2009.

Cheers,
Amanda

  scholarships Dec 9, 2008 3:50 PM

27

18+? will you consider 18++++++++++++++++++? Age is no barrier for most things in life and Travel and Travel Writing is one of them. I'm seeking a career change and have written several pieces on my travels. Will you favour youth or consider we older versions of travelers too?

  Victoria Dec 14, 2008 6:35 PM

28

When we started the Scholarships program it's intent was to offer great opportunities to students to enable them to gain valuable experience in their field of study and go on to use that experience to further their career. Over the first year we have received lots of email from people asking "Why can't I enter just because I'm not a student?"

On reflection we created these Travel Scholarships to provide passionate individuals the opportunity to further their skills. So what if you're a 24 year old who couldn't afford to attend college but are passionate about becoming a travel writer? Maybe a 52 year old aspiring travel writer who dreams of changing careers to that field for example. Why shouldn't anyone have the opportunity to develop their skills and receive training from a professional?

We want to help someone follow their dreams and then share the amazing results with all of our World Nomads.

So yes 18++++++++++++++ , with no age limit, so long as you are fit , healthy and able to negotiate India on your own.

  scholarships Dec 15, 2008 8:48 AM

29

Thanks a bunch! Thats great news!

Happy Christmas!

  Vicky Deane Dec 15, 2008 10:36 AM

30

Is it possible to find out what sort of opportunites are offered in the field of radio journalism?
Thanks.

  Lucy Barbour Dec 15, 2008 2:47 PM

31

Yes we run a podcast scholarship annually. Our 2009 podcast scholarship will be launched in early February.

You can read about last year's podcast scholarship here;
http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/post/10992.aspxYou

You can also sign up to our mailing list;

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=18873565876

  scholarships Dec 15, 2008 3:57 PM

32

hi, i was just wondering if there are any guidelines as to the locations you should write about? i am very determined to become a professional travel writer, but although i long to, i haven't had the opportunity to travel anywhere very exotic so far. if i were to write a good enough article about british travel, would it stand any chance at all?
thanks

  charlotte Dec 17, 2008 10:04 AM

33

@Charlotte,
Exotic is not compulsory.... good writing is. A great writer could make the inside of a broom cupboard sound like a resort. No need to be harsh on Britain - remember that *millions* of tourists go there every year for good reason, even if it just feels like home to you. Don't forget that you still need to focus on one of the themes for the 500 word essay... full details above.
Go on, have a crack at it... what have you got to lose?
Christy, Community Manager, WorldNomads.com

  crustyadventures Dec 18, 2008 3:06 PM

34

How strict is the 500 word limit,
After reading last years winner and runner up they went over by about a hundred, is this ok?

  Eloise Dec 19, 2008 2:56 AM

35

Where do I email the writing?

  Shumaila Amin Dec 19, 2008 8:39 PM

36

@eloise
We've put a suggested limit of 500 words on the entry. It would be in your interest to stick to this.

@Shumaila
You will need to fill in an online application form and copy & paste your written piece in there. We are not accepting entries by email.
Look for the orange button that says "Apply now" above or access the entry form HERE

Christy, Community Manager, WorldNomads.com

  crustyadventures Dec 23, 2008 10:10 AM

37

I Hope that there will be another travel writing scholarship this SUMMER?!

  KATHERINE Dec 23, 2008 4:03 PM

38

I was reading about what the scholarship includes and it said "one return economy flight, to trip destination", so I was just curious as to whether or not the winner will be responsible for purchasing one of the plane tickets??? Thanks!!! :)

  Rachael Shull Dec 29, 2008 8:57 AM

39

@KATHERINE
Thanks for the message... The scholarship is open to people all across the globe - so it is almost impossible to find a date that will suit everyone (I'm guessing you're in Nth America?). Each year, we vary when the scholarship occurs to take advantage of the unique mentoring/travel opportunity available. We hope that for people who are *that* passionate about their chosen field or dream of joining it, then they would find the time amongst their studies or jobs to make it happen. In the case of many students, educational scholarships like this may count towards course credits.
I suggest you join the mailing list so we can keep you informed about each new scholarship and the dates: Join here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=18873565876

Christy, Community Manager, WorldNomads.com

  crustyadventures Dec 29, 2008 12:58 PM

40

@ Rachael Shull
The recipient does not need to purchase another return flight - we are covering an economy return flight from your nearest International airport to Cochin, India.
I wasn't sure what you meant in the question... if I have misunderstood, please leave me some more details and i can address them specifically.

Christy, Community Manager, WorldNomads.com

  crustyadventures Dec 29, 2008 1:02 PM

41

I was wondering if i could have some guidance on the intended form of the essay. You have used the term essay, but the examples from the last scholarship are in a much more "article" based style.

I need clarification as i wanted to know how important the theme is! Is it enough to demonstrate your chosen theme very loosely without specific mention to it, or does the theme have to be centre of the piece, with my personal experience used as the filter for the reader?

Many Thanks

Rob

  Rob Dec 30, 2008 1:44 PM

42

What a cool opportunity!! I will see what I can come up with to WOW the judges :)

Cheers and happy New Year

Shelly

  shelly stetsko Dec 30, 2008 5:15 PM

43

Hi, I put in my application for this earlier this week, but didn't get a confirmation email of any sorts. I'm not sure if I should have got one, but I just wanted to check that I hadn't given you the wrong email address in case it was sent to me and I didn't recieve it. Is there any one I can chase this up with?

Sorry for the hassel!

  Elest Jan 4, 2009 11:24 PM

44

That's great, I never thought about World Nomads: Travel Scholarships like that before.

  Yachtcharter Griechenland Jan 5, 2009 11:47 PM

45

I was psyched to send in my application! So psyched that I think I clicked the send without finishing the application (or my computer did something wacky?) So I tried again. How do I know if you received everything OK (including my essay and narrative)?

  Veronica Hackethal Jan 6, 2009 3:31 AM

46

I was psyched to send in my application! So psyched that I think I clicked the send without finishing the application (or my computer did something wacky?) So I tried again. How do I know if you received everything OK (including my essay and narrative)?

  Veronica Hackethal Jan 6, 2009 4:46 AM

47

I don't have any travel experience outside of the US, and not much in the US either, can I still enter?

  Chaka Jan 8, 2009 5:06 AM

48

@Veronica Hackethal
@Elest
Yep - got both of your applications. The application form just displays a Thank-you page when you're finished, it doesn't send out an email. Good luck!
Christy, Community Manager, WorldNomads.com

  crustyadventures Jan 8, 2009 10:36 AM

49

@chaka
Yes, you can still enter... but bear in mind that part of the scholarship is to travel to India (which some people find culturally challenging) and also write part of a guidebook on an area (which will require you to be very comfortable travelling on your own). Don't forget that entries close January 9th, so you'll need to be quick.
Christy, Community Manager, WorldNomads.com

  crustyadventures Jan 8, 2009 10:38 AM

50

Is it absolutely mandatory I travel alone? There is no way to befriend a local when needed? Forgive me, this is my first time considering this, I don't quite know how it works.

  Chaka Jan 8, 2009 1:05 PM

51

Hi!

Like two previous comments, I feel a tad worried about not knowing whether my application really got submitted or not... Any chance of finding out? I would be devastated if an unsteady internet connection snatched this opportunity away from me, before the competition even started...

a million thanks,
Emilia

  Emilia Jan 9, 2009 6:50 AM

52

Hi Christy! I'm also wanting to check that my submission went through, I sent it yesterday :-)

Nikki

  Nikki Savvides Jan 9, 2009 11:12 AM

53


The comments above have made me a little scared too!
I got the "Thankyou" page, but who knows with online applications right?

Fingers crossed it really did go through!

Bridget

  Bridget Jan 9, 2009 11:22 PM

54

Eieieiei, I forgot that this may be Australian time..I think I submitted it too late :(

  Jason Jan 10, 2009 12:34 AM

55

i hope i'm not too late; mixed up time.

  chaka Jan 10, 2009 9:07 AM

56

It would be a shame that people who submitted an application on "January 9th" get eliminated. Especially when advertising websites and links fail to mention the time zone. :o(

I just realized that the italics in my submission do not appear in the message box --and that's a problem. AHH!! Can I submit my essay in word format???

  David Jan 10, 2009 2:58 PM

57


To those above,

Number 5 of the conditions of entry right below the "APPLY NOW" button states that entries must be received by 11.59PM AEST (Australian Eastern Standard Time).

I've made this mistake before so I was sure to check it! :(

  Bridget Jan 10, 2009 10:23 PM

58

Bridget,

The rules are clear, but honestly, submitting something a few hours late on your "January 9th" should be considered in my humble opinion. I sincerely hope the rules are not interpreted that narrowly given the confusion and conflicting information on the internet. And how many additional applications would it result in reading? 3?

  David Jan 11, 2009 5:36 AM

59


For the sake of my own entry, I assumed that a rule is a rule because it is, by nature, not open to "interpretation".

And even if there were only three additional entries, that's three too many for those who followed the rules.


  Bridget Jan 12, 2009 8:19 AM

60

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the late flurry of comments. For the record, we will accept entries that arrived in our system on January 10 as the global nature of this scholarship means that Jan 10 In Australia (where we are judging) can still be Jan 9 elsewhere in the world.
If however, you thought you'd try a sneaky Jan 11... sorry, that really is too late.

Cheers, Christy
Community Manager, Worldnomads.com

  scholarships Jan 12, 2009 9:27 AM

61

Also, if you got to the confirmation page where it said 'Thank-you for your application', then yes, we did get your entry.
(I think next year, we will try and find a form that emails you a confirmation so you can all sleep easy)

Good luck guys! Let the judging commence.

  scholarships Jan 12, 2009 9:38 AM

62

How soon do you post the winner on the website after you've finished judging?

  Kimberly Jan 13, 2009 2:26 PM

63

How many submissions were there in total?

  David Jan 14, 2009 7:46 AM

64

We received 344 entries! Which is a huge increase on last year, and the standard is exceptional.

We are very busy reading and shortlisting,whilst trying to soothe our itchy feet!

  scholarships Jan 14, 2009 4:45 PM

65

Everytime my phone rings I say to myself "I am going to India". I am happy to hear that you are still reviewing the enteries and that there is hope :)

Enjoy them all.

Cheers
Shelly

  shelly stetsko Jan 15, 2009 8:36 AM

66

One week from today! One week! I am so excited. Its on my calendar. I am crossing my fingers! Good luck everyone!

  Teresa Jan 17, 2009 2:11 AM

67

Hey when will be the winners annouced? I am waiting. And one more thing I already live in India, Do I still need to have a valid passport?

  Riddhi Jan 17, 2009 6:01 PM

68

Can someone please say when will the photography sholarship 2009 starting and some details about it?

  Riddhi Jan 17, 2009 6:27 PM

69

How will i know if i have qualified? When will the results be announced?....I live in India already....I am really hoping to win this scholarship...please reply

  pooja Jan 18, 2009 6:29 PM

70

If you look at the rules and regulations, it says that they will announce the winner on January 23rd...

  KG Jan 18, 2009 6:44 PM

71

God! I can't wait until Friday. I think I'm going to refresh world nomads' site every 5 seconds. I'm closing the window... trying to reach it... I can't! Just hit F5 again... Ok. Bye. :)

  susana Jan 21, 2009 10:26 PM

72

Hey I was just wondering if the winner gets told they have won before Friday? It really would be so awesome to get the scholarship!

  Harry Harris Jan 22, 2009 4:00 AM

73

I know - I was wondering if the winner would be told before Friday... now that it's late in the day on Thursday I am losing hope for a phone call... fingers crossed though!!!

  Jess Roberts Jan 22, 2009 4:03 PM

74

Hi all results are up! We can announce the winner... <br>It was really competitive, we had over 340 entries! <br><br>http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/post/28062.aspx

  scholarships Jan 22, 2009 4:08 PM

75

Hi .
I am very interested to join for your scholarship. How can i get reminder for the next application submission?
Thanks a lot :)

Regards,
Jossi (Bali)

  Jossi Jan 28, 2009 5:56 PM

76

Hi Jossi - easy, you can sign up to our mailing list!

  scholarships Jan 29, 2009 9:56 AM

77

Hi,
My USB stick with the only copy of my entry was stolen. Can you please send me a copy of it? It was the one about volunteering in Manila. I can provide particulars for security reasons if need be.
Thanks and regards,
Don Do

  Don Do Jan 31, 2009 12:18 PM

78

I was just thinking about Travel Scholarships and you’ve really helped out. Thanks!

  Jane Church Mar 18, 2009 11:14 PM

79

I was wondering when the 2010 Travel Writing competition will be open?

Also, I'd like to complement one particular runner up, Toby Nowlan, on his adventurous and fun article on Kucing, Borneo. Fantastic article, well done.

  Stephen Spencer Aug 9, 2009 9:48 AM

80

When will be the exact date for that 2010 Travel Competition?

  webdesignaddict Feb 20, 2010 7:43 PM

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.