Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

2008 Travel Documentary Scholarship - The winner!

WORLDWIDE | Wednesday, 10 September 2008 | Views [5716] | Comments [3]

Screengrab from David Wardell's winning video - Pipilyatjara

Screengrab from David Wardell's winning video - Pipilyatjara

Thank you to everyone who submitted a video for consideration, we appreciate the time and effort that went into creating your documentaries. The judging panel experienced the full gammet of emotions whilst viewing - they were moved, shocked, delighted and entertained.

Congratulations to our winner and runners up;

 

The Winner

David Wardell - Pipalyatjara

Judge's Comments: I loved the look and straightforward narration of David's film. It was beautifully shot, technically strong and immediately engaging. It gave a great sense of being a part of such a community – the highs and lows; hopelessness and hope for the future. It was a great effort to convey all this in such a concise doco and in a manner which was neither contrived or overtly pandering for audience sympathy. It was a really great little piece that left me wanting to know about the Pipalyatjara community.

Seond Place

Mirabai Nicholson-McKeller- A Journey that Changed Me

Judge's comments: I thought Mirabai showed a great eye for both stunning visuals and compelling storytelling. Having spent a few days in Varanasi I though she captured the mystic and wonderment of the Ganges River beautifully. It was a really moving piece of communication and showed enormous potential for future work.

Third Place

Tendaya Nyeki- Home Sick

Judge's comments: This was another film that I thought showed great potential. It was a really interesting narrative device to use a trip home as the journey that most changed you. The gritty, observation handheld look and feel of the piece gave the audience a sense of being along for the ride. The film was a great personal insight into what is a global issue. It was sincere without being melodramatic and resonated with authenticity.

 

Highly Commended

Ruth Somalo - Going Places

Don Meers - From the Country to the City

 

 

 

The Judging Panel

Our shortlist was created by Ram Bhat, National Geographic Channel and
Amanda Byrne, World Nomads

Our winner and runners up were selected by Trent O'donnell, film-maker.

What next?

Whilst David heads off to India in October, we will be full steam ahead working on our 2009 Scholarship Program - so make sure you

SIGN UP TO THE MAILING LIST to get all the info as it comes to hand.

 

Comments

1

the list is so short this year!

  cal Sep 10, 2008 8:27 PM

2

Hey,

I really want to see davids pipalyatjara documentary as well as the other submissions.
Where can i see them?
Thank you :)

  Ankita Apr 8, 2009 2:54 AM

3

Just click on the links above and it will take you to the videos on Nat Geo Adventure.

  scholarships Apr 8, 2009 9:16 AM

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.