Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

Passport & Plate - ITALY: Filmmakers Wanted

ITALY | Tuesday, 28 January 2014 | Views [4349] | Comments [14]

What is Passport & Plate?

World Nomads is looking to send 3 hungry and curious travellers to Italy to sip, savour, and taste their way through 3 different regions of Italy.

These culinary explorers will discover where the famed products like aged balsamic vinegar, white truffles, pesto and Parmigiano-Reggiano originated and meet the artisan producers whose passion and dedication keep people craving these delicious delicacies the world over.

We don't just want to let these 3 food-lovers have all of the fun. We want to capture all of their food adventures and local experiences so that we can share them with the world!

Here is where you come in. We are searching for 3 talented filmmakers to go to Italy and tell the stories of the regional foods, the locals behind them, and the traveller's journey along the way.

Interested? Here's the deal...

About You

* You need to be available to be in Italy from May 31 - June 9, 2014 (dates may vary by a few days) to participate in the project.

* Minimum age 18 (by application deadline, March 7th, 2014)

* You must hold a current, valid passport (with 6 month left before expiry)

* This opportunity is open to all nationalities (subject to obtaining an Italian visa), however, you must have an exceptionally high degree of proficiency in spoken English.

* You must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in any way, you must be available for the entire assignment.

* You must be in Europe during the assignment dates, or otherwise willing to pay your way to Europe for the shoot.

* You must have your own equipment (including excellent sound recording gear), which you will be responsible for while on assignment. We are not able to outfit you with gear.

* You must be comfortable working as a solo operator. You will be the director and cinematographer of the shoot.

* You must be comfortable working and interacting with new people. Your job will be to extract commentary from inexperienced talent and the local Italians (so a basic understanding of interview skills an past experience directing talent is crucial).

You will receive

* We’ll fly you to Italy from any country in Europe for the shoot.

* You will receive all expenses paid while on assignment in Italy including all accommodation, meals and local transportation, courtesy of Cinque Terre, Langhe & Roero, Emilia-Romagna and Can't Forget It{aly}.

* A Genie kit from Syrp to use on assignment.

* Travel insurance for the duration of the trip from World Nomads.

* 2000 for one week filming and to edit three 3-5 minute travel videos from the trip upon returning home.

Important Dates

Applications open: January 28, 2014

Submissions close: March 7, 2014

Filmmakers announced: April 7, 2014

Trip: May 31-June 9, 2014

Final films due: July 31, 2014

Italy Filming Focus

1.)  Give us a flavor of the process. This is a learning experience for the talent, so capture the steps involved in whatever they are making/doing/learning. There will be an emotional process for the talent as well so ask them how they are feeling in the beginning, middle and end of the journey as well.

2.)  Showcase the personalities, emotions and commentary of both the talent and the Italian locals you encounter, they are the stars of your films. Don’t’ be afraid to ask questions or spark conversations yourself.

3.)  The magic of travel lies in the experiences and the moments, both good and bad. Shoot the frustration at not being able to speak the language, the triumph of creating the perfect ravioli and incomprehension at having to eat a 6th meal that day.

4.)  Conversations and interactions are what matters most. Yes, Italy is a stunning country, but don’t get too caught up in the beauty shots and miss all the action. It’s about people, people.

The World Nomads style guide

Style

Because our audiences are primarily on the web we want our films to be tight, colourful (in visual style, but also in content) energetic, and conversational. We don't want a sprawling long form documentary; we want snappy vignettes that capture the spirit and essence of the culinary adventure.

We like to use beauty shots as interspersed flourishes rather than to form the basis of the story. We would rather a great performance with good quality camera work, than have every shot looking like Vittorio Storaro, but containing no substantial performance or content.

We love warm, colourful images – we love saturation, colour contrast, and vibrancy. Good lighting is key. Sound is equally as important as vision, so you need to make sure you have excellent quality sound.

Story

We encourage gregarious performances from the talent and from the subject. We like to drive the narrative of our films primarily with conversation and commentary. We want our audiences to feel that they are a part of the experience they are watching.

We want our stories to showcase a contrasting depiction of travel. We like a touch of rose coloured glasses formed by great memories, but then, we also like to see the grit and dirt of the travel experience – the truth of the experience lied in both the highs and the lows. 

Your ability to direct talent and nous for smelling the crux of the story is equally as important as the imagery you acquire. 

Editing

We like natural, measured editing. Let things breathe a little – but keep in mind that a certain level of continuous energy and pep needs to be maintained.

Technically speaking, all footage should be shot in 16:9, with no lower than a 30mbp/s transfer rate and delivered in preferably ProRes 422 codec.

Examples of stuff we shoot

Raw & Real in Chandni Chowk - Old Delhi

Hot Tubs & Coffee Scrubs - Beyond the Blue Lagoon

The Carioca Way

Our Audience

Think of a well-educated, culturally sensitive, adventurous and confident individuals. Some may have travelled for 30 years, some may have travelled just once. However everyone has a passionate desire to keep travelling, to understand the world we live in and be inspired by the stories other World Nomads tell.

World Nomads do not have a specific demographic, just a desire to explore their boundaries through travel. They don’t just want to see what you see, they want to feel what you feel when you travel.

How to apply

You need to fill in a quick application form and tell us about yourself, what you are currently doing, your past experience and why we should send you to Italy.

Your entry must be in English.

APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED!

World Nomads - Terms and Conditions

  1.  Upon being chosen as a filmmaker for the 'Passport & Plate' program, you will be entering into an agreement with World Nomads Group Pty. Ltd. 
  2. The videographer grants WorldNomads.com, Can't Forget Italy, Syrp and their regional tourism board the worldwide rights and license to use, display and distribute the final videos from Italy on their website or through other avenues such as partner sites or social networking sites. 
  3. The videographer grants permission for WorldNomads.com to edit, revise, re-title or remove information from the work as they see fit. 
  4. WorldNomads.com agrees to credit the videographer and may provide links, a bio and other supporting information to promote the videographer. 
  5. WorldNomads.com agrees to provide payment as agreed upon in two installments, half prior to departure to Italy and the second half within 30 days the final video submissions.

Travel. Learn. Create.

For all of you aspiring creatives, check out our Scholarships page and sign up to hear about our latest opportunities, tips, advice and interviews with industry professionals in the fields of photography, travel writing and filmmaking.

And if you're lucky enough to be mentored by one of our industry professionals, it could kick start your career!

About WorldNomads.com

WorldNomads.com keeps you travelling safely.  Whether you’re off for a long weekend, looking for the ultimate adventure or living the nomadic dream, you’ll stay safe with Travel Insurance you can buy online, anytime, and the latest travel safety advice. Learn how to flirt in over 25 languages with our free language guides and have an experience of a lifetime on a travel scholarship. We'll also help you share your journey with a free travel blog, get answers from other nomads to all of your travel questions (try the new 'Ask A Nomad' iPad app) and donate to a local community development project through our Footprints program.  

WorldNomads.com - an essential part of every adventurous traveller's journey.

 

Comments

1

I am a filmmaker who is passionate about food, so i am interested in this as well as the food explorers category. Can i apply for both?

  taz Feb 15, 2014 8:52 PM

2

Taz - Yes, you can apply for both (you just can't win both). Apply here for the food explorer opportunity: http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/story/106822/Worldwide/Passport-and-Plate-ITALY-2014

Cheers
Alicia

  scholarships Feb 17, 2014 10:40 AM

3

Hello, i have to change the link to my showreel due to some technical problems, is there possible?
Thanks

Hi Luke, I've just dropped you an email. - Alicia

  Luke Feb 19, 2014 11:33 PM

4

Hi, is this a one man army thing? If i have a team of two, like one a director and cinematographer and another as a travel story teller ( anchor ) is that ok to apply?
Thanks
Rajendra

Hi Rajendra, this is for one person in each region. That one person needs to be a one-man show: filmmaker, director, cinematographer and editor. No teams please. - Alicia

  Rajendra Feb 20, 2014 2:33 PM

5

I am sorry for my stupid questions but still like to ask.
1) on what basis you select the film maker?
2) what do i need to attach with form submission?

Hi Rajendra,

We will choose the filmmakers based on a number of things (ability to be in Europe for the set dates, past experience, showreel, essay, etc.). Click the "apply now" button to see what information you need to submit.

Cheers
Alicia

  Rajendra Feb 20, 2014 9:58 PM

6

Hi
I accidentally submitted before i had filled in all the sections. I have resubmitted it with all the sections complete. Is it possible for you to confirm if you got it.
Thanks!

  taz Mar 7, 2014 11:55 AM

7

Hi Taz,

We have received your full entry, I will delete your first one.

Alicia

  scholarships Mar 7, 2014 11:59 AM

8

Hi Alicia. Can you confirm me if you received my application?Thanks a lot.

  diana Mar 7, 2014 10:41 PM

9

Hi Alicia,

I thought it was today the deadline for filmakers, 7th march 2014, as i read on the web site.Did i understand it wrongly?.
I did not do the application yesterday cause my showreel was not update and i was editing a new one more closed to the target and style you require.
As the applications are closed, I am italian and i live close to place you want to shoot. I live in Parma ( Emilia Romagna region) and i would like to ask you about shooting a kind of backstage of the selected filmakers in action during the period they will come here. To me it would be costless cause I live vey near from the areas ( liguria and emilia romagna) you want to shoot and I know very well the places and how to move from one to another very quickly. What do you think?.

  Sara Rasio Mar 8, 2014 1:36 AM

10

Hi Alicia! I just came across your wonderful program and i am very very very interested to take part and participate. I ve got my portfolio done, can i please still send it to you?

  Sheli Mar 8, 2014 7:32 AM

11

Hi,

I recently replied to this post but never got a confirmation email. I was wondering if you could let me know if you had received my application.

Thanks

Dieter Deswarte

  Dieter Deswarte Mar 10, 2014 8:42 PM

12

Hi,

I recently replied to this post but never got a confirmation email. I was wondering if you could let me know if you had received my application.

Thanks

Dieter Deswarte

  Dieter Deswarte Mar 10, 2014 8:42 PM

13

Hi guzs, any news about the winners?

  diana Apr 8, 2014 12:35 AM

14

Hi Everyone,

We have just announced the winning filmmakers here:

http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/story/112330/Worldwide/Passport-and-Plate-ITALY-Filmmakers-Announced

Thank you all who applied - you are all such a talented bunch. Stay tuned for future opportunities with us!

Cheers
Alicia

  scholarships Apr 8, 2014 8:34 AM

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.