Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

Podcast Documentary Scholarship, 2008 - CLOSED

CAMBODIA | Tuesday, 6 November 2007 | Views [20160]

After having his bandages removed, Kao Oul's vision is checked.<br><em>Photo courtesy of www.lannonharley.com</em>

After having his bandages removed, Kao Oul's vision is checked.
Photo courtesy of www.lannonharley.com

 

Do you dream about being an intrepid journalist seeking out stories from remote parts of the world? Then here is the opportunity for you!

Cambodia

Go on assignment to The Fred Hollows Eye Camp, Kampong Thom, Cambodia

 

Applications close: January 20, 2008

World Nomads will send one exceptional student on assignment to visit a Fred Hollows Foundation eye camp in the remote Baray District of Kampong Thom Province, Cambodia. In one of the poorest countries in south-east Asia, blindness is a real problem with limited health care facilities and an estimated 162,000 blind people. The Fred Hollows Foundation has worked in Cambodia since 2000 providing basic eye health care to remote communites and rebuilding medical facilities that were destroyed by the Pol Pot regime.

As part of this assignment, you will receive mentorship from ABC Radio Journalist, Executive Producer & Author, Tim Latham, who will provide assistance via telephone/internet with story development, scripting and final editing.

You will stay at the eye camp for three days witnessing vital cataract surgery performed by the team, restoring sight to local villagers. Gaining special access to interview The Fred Hollows team and local villagers, you will seek out your own unique story to be recorded on your new mobile digital recorder.

 

 

Post assignmnet you will enjoy a 6 day Intrepid Independant Tour - 'Highlights of Cambodia' to delve deeper into Cambodia’s rich history and culture. The Scholarship also covers airfares from your nearest international airport to Phnom Penh, mobile digital recorder, travel vaccinations, visa costs and per diems.

Once you have returned home, you'll create a 10 - 15 minute Podcast Documentary which World Nomads will submit to a number of international radio programs, podcast channels and partner sites such as Intrepid Travel, The Fred Hollows Foundation and Lonely Planet, giving you the chance to have your story heard by thousands of travellers.

 

What you'll be doing


* We'll fly you in from your country of residence and you'll have to be available to be in Cambodia between February 16th and February 28th 2008.

* Prior to leaving you will be mentored by journalist Tim Latham to guide you in how to approach finding your story.

* In Cambodia, you will be given unique access to interview members of The Fred Hollows team and be assisted by a translator to interview patients and local community members. Click here for more information on The Fred Hollows Foundation work in Cambodia.

* Post assignment you will enjoy a 6 day Intrepid Independant tour.

* You will keep a daily diary about your time on the trip and upload this plus pictures you've taken to your World Nomads travel journal.

* On your return you will receive further mentoring from Tim Latham to assist in editing together your story. You will then upload the 10 - 15 minute documentary podcast to the World Nomads web site within 2 months of your return.

* Most of all, you'll be experiencing what it's like to be journalist in a remote location in one the most beautiful and friendly countries in the world.

Where you'll be going


* You will fly to Phnom Penh in Cambodia and travel by 4WD to the Kampong Thom Province. This is the real deal! Travelling to a remote area involves a full day's journey on dirt roads, not for the faint hearted!

* You will stay in a basic hotel in Kampong Thom Province and travel daily to and from the remote eye camp in the Baray District. (approximately 2 hours each way, so you must be prepared for some rustic travel!).

* Your Intrepid tour travels from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap taking in all the sights including the magnificent temples of the Angkor Complex.

Who can apply

* To be eligible you have to be a journalism, media, radio, arts/communications student at a recognised educational institution and speak fluent english.
* Minimum age 18.
* You should be a mad-keen auteur with a lust for adventure and a desire to enhance your journalism skills.
* You must be prepared for lots of overland travel in rustic conditions!

Apply now

If you want it, you've got to show it. To apply you need to:

 

1. Compile a 3 minute (or less) travel focussed podcast documentary in english around the theme ‘It Opened My Eyes’. It's up to you to convince our judging panel through your documentary that you have the spirit of adventure and passion for travel journalism to be chosen for this scholarship. We will be looking for;

• originality
• clarity of ideas
• excellent presentation and interview skills
• ability to source and tell a compelling story.

2. Upload your podcast documentary anywhere you wish on the internet (e.g podcast hosts such as bigcontact.com, blogamp.com, ipodnetwoks.com etc) and note the url address.

3. Go to Worldnomads.com and complete the 2008 World Nomads Podcast Documentary Scholarship application form which includes personal details and a 300 words (or less) essay on why you should be chosen. Copy and paste the link to your podcast submission into the entry form.

Applications close Sunday January 20, 2008.

Conditions of Entry


1. Information on the scholarship prize and how to enter forms part of these conditions of entry. By applying for this scholarship you agree to be bound by these conditions of entry and all decisions of the scholarship promoter (World Nomads) which are final in all matters relating to the promotion. The scholarship and these conditions of entry are void where prohibited by law. Any changes to these conditions of entry will be published on the World Nomads website at www.worldnomads.com.

2. The promoter is World Nomads Pty Limited of 1306 World Tower, 87-89 Liverpool St, Sydney, NSW 2000.

3. Employees of World Nomads, The Fred Hollows Foundation, Intrepid Travel and their subsidiaries and affiliated companies, and members of their immediate families or households, are ineligible to apply for this scholarship.

4. Entry is free. No purchase necessary. You must be older than 18 to enter and currently actively studying journalism and or communications/radio/media/arts at a recognised educational institution. You must also have a valid passport and be available to be in Cambodia from February 16-28, 2008. To enter, submit an English language podcast documentary of less than three minutes in length on the theme " It opened my eyes”. You can submit your entry by doing the following:

a) Upload your podcast anywhere you wish on the internet.

and

b) Go to http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/post/10992.aspx and follow the directions to fill out the application form and tell us in English in 300 words or less why you should be chosen as the 2008 Travel Podcast Scholarship recipient. Copy and paste the link to your podcast submission into the application form.

5. The scholarship entries can be submitted from 9.00am AEST on November 9 2007 and entries close at 11.59m AEST on 20 January 2008. Entries are deemed to be received at the time of receipt by World Nomads and World Nomads records are conclusive as to the time of receipt. All dates are subject to change if necessary in World Nomads discretion.

6. The Scholarship recipient will be selected by a panel of three judges including one independent judge judging the best overall entry from a review of all eligible entries. The best overall entry will best interpret both "It opened my eyes" and best articulate why the author of the entry should be awarded the 2008 World Nomads Journalism Podcast Scholarship. The selection will be conducted at World Nomads Pty Limited of 1306 World Tower, 87-89 Liverpool St, Sydney, NSW 2000 on Monday 21st January 2008. The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into, including in the event of a dispute. Chance plays no part in determining the successful scholarship recipient. The successful applicant will receive the following;

* 1 x return economy airfare to Phnom Penh from nearest major international airport organised by World Nomads.
* Ground transport to and from Phnom Penh to Kampong Thom and to and from the eye camp.
* Per Diems of US$30 per day whilst at and in transit to the eye camp (four days) and US$60 per day whilst in and in transit to Phnom Penh (2 days). A total per diem of US$240 to cover accommodation, food and incidentals.
* 1 x 6 day Intrepid Independent Tour - 'Highlights of Cambodia' to be taken from February 22-28, 2008. Trip includes accommodation, transfers, some activities and a US$100 per diem to cover meals. Check Intrepid Travel website for full details of trip: http://www.intrepidtravel.com/trips/KAB
* 1 x Micro Tack II Professional 2-Channel Mobile Digital Recorder and accessories.
* Travel Insurance.
* Cost of any necessary vaccinations and visas.

7. The scholarship recipient must produce / edit an audio documentary of no less than 10 minutes, and no longer than 15 minutes in duration post visiting the eye camp. This documentary must focus on a story resulting from the visit to The Fred Hollows eye camp. The recipient must then submit this podcast to World Nomads no later than 2 months after returning from the trip. The scholarship recipient must also keep a daily travel diary and upload diary entries ( no less than 200 words per daily entry) to the World Nomads website, via an online travel journal, no later than 2 weeks after returning from the trip.

8. The Scholarship recipient will be notified by email and the recipient's name will be published on the World Nomads website within 14 days after selection.

9. If the Scholarship recipient is not immediately identifiable or contactable World Nomads will make reasonable efforts to identify and/or contact the Scholarship recipient. If the Scholarship recipient has not accepted the scholarship by 27 January 2008, the next best entry will be selected as scholarship recipient.

10. No responsibility is accepted for late, lost or misdirected mail or any errors or failures in internet or other communications. World Nomads reserves the right to cancel or modify the scholarship promotion if, in its sole discretion, the administration of the scholarship promotion is impaired for technical or other reasons beyond its reasonable control and, in such an event, may select the Scholarship recipient from all valid entries received prior to the impairment.

11. Scholarship prize consists of:

 

  • 1 x return economy airfare to Phnom Penh from nearest major international airport organised by World Nomads (approximate value AUD$3000)
  • 1 x 6 day Intrepid Independent Tour - 'Highlights of Cambodia' (Value AUD$640)
  • Per Diems (approximate value US$340)
  • 1 x Micro Tack II Professional 2-Channel Mobile Digital Recorder or equivalent.(approximate value AU$750)
  • Travel Insurance. (approximate value AUD$85)
  • Cost of any necessary vaccinations and visas.(approximate value AUD$500)

 

Total prize value of scholarship is approximately AUD$5425

12. The value of the prize is accurate at the date of commencement of the scholarship promotion. World Nomads accepts no responsibility for any variation in the value of the prize after that date. The prize cannot be refunded, transferred, substituted or redeemed for cash. World Nomads reserves the right in its sole discretion to substitute the prize with cash or a prize of comparable value if the prize cannot be awarded as described for any reason.

13. The scholarship recipient will be responsible for all personal expenses and any other expenses, fees and costs connected with the prize that are not included in the prize description. The scholarship recipients are also responsible for all transportation to the point of departure, including accommodation costs prior to and following the travel dates in order to meet flight connections.

14. The scholarship recipient must hold valid passports. Entry visas will be organized prior to departure.

15. The scholarship recipient agrees that acceptance of the prize by the scholarship recipient is conditional upon compliance with all relevant laws, rules and regulations and upon the scholarship recipient releasing World Nomads, The Fred Hollows Foundation, Intrepid Travel and their affiliates, subsidiaries, directors, officers, employees and agents, from any and all liability, claims, demands and causes of action for any personal injury or other loss or damage (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) suffered in connection with the acceptance or use of the prize, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law. World Nomads reserves the right to disqualify the scholarship recipient at its absolute discretion in the event of non-compliance or the failure to provide such releases.

16. As the author of your entry, you warrant that your entry is original and your own work. It will be a condition of entry that both scholarship applicants and the scholarship recipient will grant a non exclusive copyright license to World Nomads, The Fred Hollows Foundation and Intrepid Travel to reproduce the work for subsequent promotion of World Nomads, The Fred Hollows Foundation and Intrepid Travel.


You can view World Nomads' privacy policy at http://www.worldnomads.com/privacy.aspx.

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.