Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

Travel Writing Scholarship 2014: Euro Road Trip

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 11 April 2014 | Views [255259] | Comments [358]

Applications are now closed - best of luck to everyone that applied!

Yes, we said road trip! Oh, those two little words that hold so many possibilities, so many unwritten stories. It's all too easy to daydream about jaunting across Europe and chronicling your adventures on the road.

So, stop imagining, and get writing, because we want to send not one, but three budding travel writers to be mentored by a veteran Lonely Planet author and explore Europe on your own terms.

Your Assignment

Learn.

First, the 3 scholarship recipients will be flown from their countries of residence to Berlin where they will spend 2 days at our very first World Nomads Travel Writing workshop. Under the mentorship of veteran Lonely Planet author and industry mentor, Alex Leviton, you will learn how to find a great story, create solid pitches, improve your writing skills and gain a better understanding of the travel writing industry.

Travel.

After the workshop, each writer will be off solo on their own customised 10-day European itinerary. As part of the application, you need to tell us about the two places you would most like to write about in Europe. We'll take these places of interest, throw in a few summer festivals and some local friends - and send you off on planes, trains and automobiles across Europe.

Create.

During your road trip, you will be tasked with writing about the people you meet, your adventures (and mis-adventures), and your local off-the-beaten-path encounters.

Important Dates

**You need to be available between August 14-28, 2014 to participate on the assignment.**

May 15   Program applications close

May 15 - Jun 5   Application judging

June 6   Winner announced

August 15   Arrive in Berlin

August 16-17   Travel Writing workshop

August 18-27   Solo European Road Trip

August 28   Depart

The Prizes

The 3 scholarship recipients will receive:

  • A 2-day custom Travel Writing course in Berlin with mentor Alex Leviton
  • A 10-day bespoke road trip across Europe including transportation through GoEuro and accommodation with Hostelworld.
  • Round-trip airfare from your country of residence to Berlin.
  • Enrollment in the MatadorU Travel Writing course (with 3 months unlimited access to the course)
  • Travel insurance for the duration of the trip from World Nomads.

The top shortlisted entries will receive:

  • Enrollment in the MatadorU Travel Writing mini course (with 3 months unlimited access to the course)

Your Brief

  • You will be required to produce and submit 4-5 feature travel articles from your road trip (within 2 months of your return) that will be published on World Nomads, GoEuro, Hostelworld and Matador Network.
  • You will keep a daily blog (200+ words per day) about your time on the road and upload this (plus photos) to your WorldNomads.com travel journal.
  • You will post photos of your best 'travel moments' to Instagram on a daily basis so that we can follow your adventures.

On assignment in Europe

Meet your Mentor

After getting a master's degree in journalism from UC Berkeley in 2002, Alex Leviton realized reading a newspaper had never changed her life the way travel had, and she started her travel writing career as a Lonely Planet author. She's since contributed to two dozen projects for Lonely Planet, including all four editions of Tuscany & Umbria, Trips: The South, Happy, etc. She's also written for every travel media: newspapers, magazines, websites, blogs. She also co-authors the Umbria Slow app for Sutro Media, was the original Editorial Director for Silicon Valley's Gogobot since before launch, and has co-founded a travel startup. She's been teaching writing and travel writing for over a dozen years.

About Berlin

With a turbulent past (having been literally ripped in two), Berlin is a city where many lifestyles coexist side-by-side. Cheap rents, a fresh and fun vibe, and the necessity for foreign labour to rebuild the urbanscape have lead to diverse international community calling the city home. Each neighbourhood is home to a strong, sometimes opposing style, although the overall ethos of Berlin is fairly agreed upon; tolerance and internationalism reign.

Still up-and-coming in many areas, Berlin is home to thriving pop-up shops, flea markets, and residentially located bars and restaurants. The city is a cacophony of cheap beer and high culture, with a firm belief in grassroots activity.

Who can apply?

  • This opportunity is open to students, emerging and non-professional writers and lovers of travel looking for a career change.
  • The scholarship is open to all nationalities, however, you must have an exceptionally high degree of proficiency in written English.
  • The opportunity is designed to give you a taste of what it's like to be a travel writer on the road, so you must be comfortable travelling and working on your own.
  • Minimum age 18 by the date the scholarship application closes (May 15, 2014)
  • You need a current passport with at least six months left before expiry.
  • You must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in any way, you must be available for the entire assignment.
  • You should be an exceptional writer with a lust for adventure travel, a desire to experience new cultures and above all, a burning desire to become a professional travel writer!

Am I considered a professional travel writer?

Essentially this is a 'learning opportunity' for someone who is looking for an introduction into the travel writing industry and more importantly, is keen to be mentored.

As a guide, for the purposes of the opportunity, we would consider you to be professional writer if you have been published regularly in newspapers, travel magazines or travel journals. We would also consider you to be a professional writer if you derive more than 25% of your income from writing.

If you have had a few stories published, or keep a regular travel blog then we would not consider this professional.

We would also like to further clarify that a professional writer of any sort (travel writer or otherwise) is not eligible to apply if they derive more than 25% of their income from writing.

Please consider the spirit of the program which is intended to help those with a burning desire to be a professional travel writer and need some help getting started.

How to Enter

If you want it, you've got to show it. To apply you need to:

1. WRITE. Craft a 2500 characters or less (this includes spaces) travel focused essay based on a personal experience around one of the following themes;

a. 'How did I end up here?'

b. 'The first time I saw..."

c. 'I'll never forget the day that...'

It's up to you to convince our judging panel through your writing that you have the spirit of adventure and passion for travel writing to be chosen for this scholarship. We will be looking for:

- great descriptive ability (without getting flowery)
- strong eye for detail
- ability to uncover and tell a compelling and original story
- excellent spelling and grammar and a knack for avoiding clichés

2. PLAN YOUR ITINERARY. Tell us about the 2 cities / areas in Europe you would most like to write about.


3. COMPLETE AN ENTRY FORM which includes contact details and a maximum 1200 character essay on why you should be chosen and what the opportunity will mean for you. Your answer will provide considerable weight in the judging process.

One entry per person. The entry must be submitted in English.

Applications close May 15, 2014 at 2pm (AEST)

CONDITIONS OF ENTRY - Please read before applying!

Click to read the terms and conditions of this scholarship

*Note: Once you apply, you may not go back and edit your entry. Please make sure you are completely satisfied with your essay before you submit an application.*

The 3 recipients of the Scholarship, along with the shortlist of best entries will be published on the WorldNomads.com website on June 6th, 2014.

Read the winning and best entries from our 2013 Travel Writing Scholarship

Got a question? Post it below!

Travel. Learn. Create.

For all of you aspiring creatives, check out our Scholarships page and sign up to hear about our latest opportunities, tips, advice and interviews with industry professionals in the fields of photography, travel writing and filmmaking.

And if you're lucky enough to be mentored by one of our industry professionals, it could kick start your career!

About WorldNomads.com

WorldNomads.com keeps you travelling safely.  Whether you’re off for a long weekend, looking for the ultimate adventure or living the nomadic dream, you’ll stay safe with Travel Insurance you can buy online, anytime, and the latest travel safety advice. Learn how to flirt in over 25 languages with our free language guides and have an experience of a lifetime on a travel scholarship. We'll also help you share your journey with a free travel blog, get answers from other nomads to all of your travel questions (try the new 'Ask A Nomad' iPad app) and donate to a local community development project through our Footprints program.  

WorldNomads.com - an essential part of every adventurous traveller's journey.

Comments

1

Please check through the comments to see if your question is already answered.

  scholarships Apr 10, 2014 2:22 PM

2

I was wondering will there be any out of pocket expenses during the trip?


You will be given €1000 to spend on food and activities over the 13-day assignment. It will be up to you to manage your budget. Anything over and above this stipend is your expense. - Alicia

  Aundrea Apr 11, 2014 6:12 AM

3

Hi, is it allowed to use material from one's personal blog (that is, something which is already online)?

thanks


We would prefer that you craft an original piece for this opportunity. However, you may post the same story later on your own blog. - Alicia

  Alex Apr 11, 2014 8:04 AM

4

Any way I can check if I entry got submitted? The page kept leading me to this box every time I tried to enter.


You can see all entries here: http://adventures.worldnomads.com/scholarships/?m=25. However, it may take a day for the list to update, as it is cached. - Alicia

  Anita Bora Apr 11, 2014 7:51 PM

5

Hello guys

As a journalist who covers economy am I able to apply? I'm askink because the scholarship is focused in Travel Writer.

Cheers


Please see conditions above: "We would also like to further clarify that a professional writer of any sort (travel writer or otherwise) is not eligible to apply if they derive more than 25% of their income from writing." - Alicia

  Enzo Bertolini Apr 11, 2014 8:33 PM

6

What is the overall cost of the trip, and the expenses which will not be covered?


Please see comment #2. - Alicia

  moira Apr 11, 2014 9:11 PM

7

Hi. I'm planning to try this out, but I'd like to know if it's OK if I'm from Ukraine and I don't have Schengen visa. Also with the situation in my country I'm not sure if it is possible to get one fast. I'm sure it can be done in under 2-4 weeks or so, but is this time acceptable? Also, I don't see any mention in this article or in the terms and conditions page about the dates of the workshop and the trip. Maybe I haven't been attentive enough, but still.

  Alex Apr 12, 2014 12:49 AM

8

Does the essay have to begin with one of the three given phrases, or should it just be based around one of those ideas?


Your essay just needs to be based around one of the themes, it does not need to begin with that phrase. - Alicia

  Scott Apr 12, 2014 1:44 AM

9

Hey,
In the third section we are asked to write a travel story on the selected topic.Im from Pakistan and I've never traveled outside of my country due to financial reasons.But having said that I have an adventurous personality and a burning desire to travel anywhere if and when i get a chance. Ive traveled within my country.Does any of those experiences count as a travel story. Or the city I've been living in since birth?
Thankyou


Yes, of course you can write about travels within your own country. - Alicia

  H. Apr 12, 2014 4:11 AM

10

Hello!

I tried to apply for the World Nomads Scholarship but cannot see if it went through: Is there any way to check?

Thank you so much for your help!

All my best,
Nora


See comment #4. - Alicia

  Nora Studholme Apr 13, 2014 7:10 AM

11

Is applicant from the third world country welcome here? Is there a membership involve if you're given the chance and the opportunity to be part of this org. If I will be one of the chosen few what will be our counterpart/responsibility/obligation other than attending workshop and writing stories of our travel?


Of course, so long as you are eligible for visas to your chosen destinations. As for the winners' responsibilities, they are outlined in the "Your Brief" section above. - Alicia

  Jennifer Locob Apr 13, 2014 9:57 PM

12

I should be glad if the World Nomads travel give me the opportunity to be among the travel writers travelling around the globe.

Hussaaini

  HUSSAINI GARBA MOHAMMED Apr 14, 2014 3:57 AM

13

Hi,

I just want to ask: does an "advertising copywriter" qualify as "professional writer" as included in your list of people who can NOT join? :)

Thanks!


Unfortunately if you make more than 25% of your income from writing you are not eligible to apply. This is an opportunity for amateur and aspiring writers.

  angdiwangmalaya Apr 15, 2014 7:11 PM

14

Can I write a story about traveling in my home ?
should the story be true or imaginative ?\
should be in my blog some stories ?
And my blog it is in Arabic not English is that okay ?


Your story should be a true story in English. - Alicia

  maisaa Apr 15, 2014 10:26 PM

15

When i was applying i forgot to add the name of my Country of residence!
how can i fix that !!


You can email it to me at scholarships@worldnomads.com and I will update it for you. - Alicia

  Taoufik Mohammed Apr 15, 2014 11:40 PM

16

Dear Sir
What is type of language ??
Can I writ in my mother language .. Arabic ??
Thanks

  Ahmed Apr 15, 2014 11:57 PM

17

hope i can write in any language

  craigfrimps Apr 16, 2014 3:51 AM

18

As for the 2 countries in Europe we would like to travel to - should we just write down the names of the countries or specify why we'd like to go there?


Just the name of the country/region/city is fine. - Alicia

  Bernadette Apr 16, 2014 4:32 AM

19

maisaa, Ahmed & craigframps - Your entry must be submitted in English. - Alicia

  scholarships Apr 16, 2014 9:19 AM

20

Hi there. I am currently interning at an online news agency in South Africa for the travel section. This is my third month on the job. Does this in any way affect my eligibility for the scholarship?

Kind regards,


Felise - It sounds like you are not yet a professional, if this is an internship. - Alicia

  Felise Apr 16, 2014 8:54 PM

21

Hi,

I work as an editorial assistant at a magazine. While this does involve a bit of writing, the majority of my work involves admin and organising. would this disqualify me from the competition?

Thanks,


As long as you are not making more than 25% of your income from writing activities, you should be eligible.

  Chisanga Apr 16, 2014 10:18 PM

22

Hi, Would you kindly help clarify this condition- "The scholarship recipient is also responsible for all transportation to the point of departure, including accommodation costs prior to and following the travel dates in order to meet flight connections. " ? Does this mean that recipient will should the fare from his/her country to Berlin? What do you mean by "prior and following" given below entitlement? Thank you!

The 3 successful applicants will receive:
-Return Economy airfare from nearest international airport to Berlin, Germany
-3 nights accommodation in Berlin courtesy of Visit Berlin
-1000€ to spend on food and activities for the duration of the assignment
- 10-day road trip around Europe, transport provided by GoEuro
- 10 nights accommodation (up to £25 per night) across Europe provided by Hostelworld


EDH - That just means that you need to pay your way to get to and from the airport from your home. - Alicia

  EDH Apr 16, 2014 11:05 PM

23

I am from Pakistan and desperate to travel. I have so many travel stories but never dare to write them. World Nomad is a good forum to invite the travel experiences of people from all over the world. I wish to be selected for scholarship and part of Nomad travel team.

  Maria Apr 17, 2014 1:03 AM

24

Hi,

does the story have to be about one country?

Thanks,
Camilla


No, it doesn't. - Alicia

  Camilla Cameron Apr 17, 2014 6:17 AM

25

hi, do participants need to have a blog or a website to take part in the competition?


No, you don't. - Alicia

  younes Apr 17, 2014 8:14 AM

26

I've been to a lot of places. Can I submit more than one story?


One entry per person please. - Alicia

  Vickie Apr 17, 2014 12:50 PM

27

Hey there,

It doesn't seem to be letting me apply... at least every time I hit the apply now button it stays on the same page. Not sure what's going on haha.

Thanks,
Teale


Drop me an email at scholarships@worldnomads.com and we will check into it for you. - Alicia

  Teale Apr 17, 2014 12:51 PM

28

Waw World Nomad is a good forum to invite the travel experiences of people from all over the world. I wish I would be one of them.

  bulle Apr 17, 2014 6:56 PM

29

Hi there. You mentioned that professional writers cannot apply. What if your primary source of income comes from editing?

  Tanya Apr 17, 2014 7:31 PM

30

Just submitted my entry from Chiang Mai, Thailand.

Can't wait to see the results!

Travel on!

  racheljoygypsy Apr 17, 2014 10:52 PM

31

Hello,
I work as a blogger part-time, but I only receive €50/week. I would still be considered amateur and inexperienced, but I haven't a secondary income. Is it possible for me to apply?


You are eligible to apply. - Alicia

  Katherine Apr 18, 2014 12:29 AM

32

Hi there,
I'm a journalism student in the US. I currently have a work permit but in order for me to leave the country, my trip must be for a job or educational purposes only. Since this is a scholarship, this could work perfect for me and it would be a great opportunity for me to learn and discover new places. I also hold a Spanish passport, so I wouldn't need to get a visa to go to Europe.
My question is, in the case that I do get accepted, could World Nomads write a letter explaining the program and the duration of it that I could submit with the documents to process my travel permit?
Thank you!


Yes, of course we can. - Alicia

  LV Apr 18, 2014 1:22 AM

33

Hi! I'm seventeen so sadly I can't apply but I was wondering if this scholarship will rerun in 2015 or the years following?


Yes, we run a Travel Writing Scholarship every year. Hope to see your application next year! - Alicia

  Natasha Apr 18, 2014 9:33 AM

34

i like it

  junan Apr 18, 2014 12:05 PM

35

I'm from Canada and am wondering if I would need to purchase my own medical travel insurance for the trip.


World Nomads will cover the travel insurance for the 3 winners. - Alicia

  Bobby Apr 19, 2014 4:25 AM

36

Hi,

I'm wondering, is it possible for seventeen-year-olds to apply if they have a parent's consent?

Thank you.


Sorry you do need to be 18 by the application deadline. Check back in for next year's opportunity! - Alicia

  Elena Apr 19, 2014 6:40 AM

37

Am I eligible if I used to write for my campus newspaper, but not anymore?


Yes you are eligible, since that was not a professional job. - Alicia

  Preeteesh Apr 19, 2014 7:30 AM

38

Hi , I keep clicking on apply but it keeps bringing me back to the same page saying that I need to choose the 2 countries, I keep filling in the same places and submit. I read comment 4 about waiting for it to upload but to no avail... HELP please


Email me at scholarships@worldnomads.com and I will look into it for you. - Alicia

  William Apr 20, 2014 12:54 AM

39

Is it okay to include Turkey (or a part thereof) as one of the European destinations I'd like to visit? It's generally considered to be in both Europe and Asia, so I just wanted to check whether it would count. Thanks!


Turkey is not considered a European country in this program. - Alicia

  Mia Rafalowicz-Campbell Apr 20, 2014 12:55 AM

40

Hi, do you have to be a travel writer already? I am not one yet, I am a student. But I do plan to travel and write about it next year.


No, this opportunity is for aspiring travel writers. - Alicia

  Gitana Apr 20, 2014 8:53 AM

41

Hi, will this be happening next year? I can't make it this year because I'm writing my final exams


Yes, we run a Travel Writing Scholarship each year. - Alicia

  Tessa Apr 20, 2014 8:38 PM

42

Hello,

I am very interested in applying for this programme, but am not sure if I qualify. I work as a researcher at a university, and part of my job is to edit writings. Does this mean I as I am "writing" as a profession?

David
Do you spend more than 25% of your time writing? If so, you will not be eligible. - Alicia

  David Apr 21, 2014 6:59 AM

43

Do you have to be in your home country whilst applying? If you win could you be transported from another country straight to Berlin or would you have to go home first for potential visa purposes?


No, you do not need to be in your home country to apply, or to fly to Berlin. - Alicia

  Jill Apr 21, 2014 6:50 PM

44

Hi! I wonder when are the dates for the winning trip to be taken? Thanks !


Please see the dates in the top right hand box (titled 'Important Dates' above. - Alicia

  Shyalisa Apr 21, 2014 8:04 PM

45

Hello,

I am a copywriter but because I copywrite in Bahasa, am I eligible to apply as this scholarship requires writing in English? Thank you.

Sharen
Comment #49 will apply to working in any language. - Alicia

  sharen song Apr 21, 2014 8:19 PM

46

Hi,

If by some miracle I do win this, then I would only be able to make it if I can work flights around my uni tutorial, so I was just wondering how flexible you are with flights?
If there's no chance that I can make it then I don't want to waste your time by applying!

Thank you!


Hi Erin, the dates are unfortunately not flexible. - Alicia

  Erin Apr 22, 2014 12:00 AM

47

Hello! When we have to pick two countries in Europe do you count western Russia as in Europe? It seems to be a divided subject! :)

Thank you, Maya
For this scholarship, we will not include Russia. - Alicia

  Maya Badham Apr 22, 2014 2:56 AM

48

I am a radio presenter...but I don't write... i present a quiz programme. am I qualified?


If you don't make more than 25% of your income from writing, you are eligible to apply. - Alicia

  titi Apr 22, 2014 8:01 AM

49

Hi Everyone,

If more than 25% of your job consists of writing, in any professional capacity (social media not included), you are ineligible to apply. This includes editors and copy writers who spend more than 25% of their time writing.

Best of luck all!
Alicia


  scholarships Apr 22, 2014 9:30 AM

50

Good day to you, the World Nomads team!

As to the essay and the explanation of why I deserve the scholarship - do they have to be 2500 and 1200 signs including or not including spaces?


This includes spaces. - Alicia

  Pavel Apr 22, 2014 6:17 PM

51

Hello Alicia,

I'm extremely interested to apply for the travel writing scholarship, and wanted to inquire about my eligibility, knowing that am a journalist, editor and writer, but my income now is coming from cultural work that doesnt involve writing.

Thank you


Since you have been a journalist, editor and professional writer in the past, you are not eligible to apply. - Alicia

  Ahmad Apr 22, 2014 10:28 PM

52

I am a young civil servant. However, I believe I am confident enough to pen down my account of travels across the country of my origin. Am I eligible to apply?


You are eligible to apply. - Alicia

  Zelim Apr 22, 2014 10:56 PM

53

As for the 2 countries we would like to visit - should they be 2 neighbouring countries, as we might spend a few days in each of them, or can they be further apart geographically as we can also just visit one country and write about it?


They don't have to be neighboring countries, but as you only have 10 days, consider that you will want to spend more time writing than in transit. - Alicia

  Bernadette Apr 22, 2014 10:59 PM

54

For step 3, I can't find the United States in the drop-down list of country options, only the outlying territories?

Help?


It's there, under "USA" not "United States of America". - Alicia

  Helen Apr 22, 2014 11:01 PM

55

I am student in the university can i get the oppurtunity


Please feel free to apply. - Alicia

  WALTER Apr 22, 2014 11:28 PM

56

Hi! I am from Ecuador but right now i am studying in London. My country of residence is Ecuador because I only have a UK student visa not a residency but my current address is in the UK. Can I apply?


Yes of course! - Alicia

  María Guevara Apr 22, 2014 11:56 PM

57

I'm a graduated disabled young man i live in Cote d'Ivoire, my dream is to go abraod one day of my life, so how could you help to make my dream a reality?


Please feel free to to apply. - Alicia

  Toti Jean Marc Yale Apr 23, 2014 1:35 AM

58

To whom it may concern,
I recently entered my essay into this competition and I've just found my entry in the 2014 entries list and the computer seems to have gotten rid of the paragraphs in my essay! Paragraphs are an obvious way to structure writing and now I'm worried it looks like I'm incapable of them in my work. Is there any way you can put a note stating that I had paragraphs and there was a fault? I don't want it to have an impact on my chance of winning.

Thank you,
Maya Badham


Don't worry, you will not be penalized for this. - Alicia

  mayarosebadham Apr 23, 2014 5:35 AM

59

if chosen, is there a specific timeline when the trip needs to happen?

Yes, please see the "Important Dates" box at the top right of the page. - Alicia

  Alina Apr 23, 2014 12:32 PM

60

Hi! I don't what the problem is, but I have filled all the requirements above, but I can't seem to click the 'Apply Now' button. It only uncheck the box beside the 'i have read & accepted....' Can you help me please?
Email me at scholarships@worldnomads.com and I will investigate this for you. - Alicia

  Rezza Apr 23, 2014 1:45 PM

61

Hello
Just wanted to ask the time when the trips would take place,i couldn't find it on the site or i probably missed it, so if you could clear that up
Thanks
Please see comment #44. - Alicia

  Elshadai Apr 23, 2014 3:21 PM

62

Hi Alicia,

I know you've been asked a similar question many times, but I just read one of your replies to someone, saying, "Since you have been a journalist, editor and professional writer in the past, you are not eligible to apply." I consider myself a journalist/editor/writer, and have done numerous short-term jobs (e.g. unpaid internships, like one I am currently doing). Does this disqualify me?

Thanks
If you make (or have made) more than 25% of your total income from writing activities, we consider you a professional and ineligible to apply. - Alicia

  Isa Apr 23, 2014 6:16 PM

63

I have 2 possible stories to submit: one is about how I got arrested (for a good cause! It was at an anti-coal protest) and the other is about my experience taking ayahuasca in Peru (a plant drug containing DMT that is legal in Peru). I'm just wondering if you consider such topics appropriate, or if these activities would be frowned upon by the judging panel.
Also, are we allowed to submit more than once?
We put no constraints on the story you choose to tell, but you can only submit once. - Alicia

  Ann Apr 23, 2014 7:10 PM

64

I realized that I have to write something up. However I am working four books at the moment and am planning to publish all at the same time. I have entered this competition already and my work is mainly pictorial.And my target is for schools,tour operators,tourists, and educational institution.
I wonder if my entry in this competition would be appropriate as I feel the words I used there is not enough to really talk about my book and travel.
I need your thoughts.
If you make (or have made) more than 25% of your total income from writing activities, we consider you a professional and ineligible to apply. - Alicia

  John Par Kagl Apr 23, 2014 11:41 PM

65

Hi Alicia, I'm currently working as a Media Content QC wherein I just check the gramatical errors of the already scripted subtitles.
Am I eligible to apply?

Please say 'yes'.

This is a temporary job I have taken up for pocket money.
It sounds like you make less than 25% of your total income from writing activities, so you should be eligible to apply. - Alicia

  Amritha Apr 24, 2014 4:03 AM

66

Hello,

I have a few questions:

1: Is there a daily itinerary for the 3 scholarship winners for the travel days following the writing workshop in Berlin, or are writers are given the opportunity to explore travel destinations freely?

2: Does the roundtrip ticket allow for a flexible return date, should a scholarship winner want to extend their European tour by using their own funds?

3. To clarify, the maximum length of the essay is 2500 characters, NOT words?



1.) Yes, you will be able to explore and write freely. 2.) Yes, this option can be discussed and shouldn't be a problem. 3.) Yes, characters. - Alicia

  Suzy Apr 24, 2014 5:41 AM

67

Hello World Nomads,

I was wondering if the essay needs to specifically be about a certain, relatively short moment or if it can't be a story (describing more than one moment to it, for example, the narration of a series of events leading to a conclusion) - of course, while maintaining the themes given.

Thank you in advance.
Bea, you can choose to do either. - Alicia

  Bea Apr 24, 2014 6:18 AM

68

Helo

I have confidence in me that I can win, but I I dont know where to write my essay and submite it. Please direct me if its posible.

Thank you.

Just click the big orange "apply now" button above and follow the application steps. - Alicia

  fatumah Birungi Apr 24, 2014 8:51 AM

69

Hi Alicia!
I promise I have read everything so if my question makes you sigh in frustration I apologise! I´m in Ecuador at the moment and will very likely still be here come August. Is it possible to get a flight from Ecuador to Berlin and then have the returning flight to South Africa? Or do you have to return to the same place? Also I have just read the top three stories from 2013 and they seem really short, has the word count been upped this year or is that all that 2500 characters gives you!
Yes, we can work with you on flights, so long as you are returning home (and we are not just paying for your next trip). Also, last year's character count was 2500 as well. - Alicia

  Tam Apr 24, 2014 10:43 AM

70

Can a freelance radio reporter apply?

  Frenny Apr 24, 2014 5:21 PM

71

Hi!
I find this opportunity quite impressive and I am very interested on the program. I have studied journalism, but I have just published a couple of pieces as intern some time ago and I am unemploymed now. Can I apply for the scholarship? Thank you!

  IM Apr 24, 2014 9:00 PM

72

hello
iam mostafa from Egypt i want to ask you about the story of travel can i write any story of my friends or story about me?

  mostafa Apr 24, 2014 9:46 PM

73

hello
iam mostafa from Egypt i want to ask you about the story of travel can i write any story of my friends or story about me?


Your story can be about whoever you like, as long as it fits one of the briefs. - Alicia

  mostafa Apr 24, 2014 9:46 PM

74

Dear Alicia,

I'm a Spanish journalist, but currently unemployed. Can I apply? I know you have received many similar questions, so sorry in advance, thanks for your attention and congratulations for such an interesting project.

FKTWCA


As a professional journalist, you are ineligible. - Alicia

  Pilar Martin Apr 24, 2014 10:03 PM

75

Hi there,

In the Terms and Conditions it mentions that winners will have to attend a festival as part of their writing experience, and there is a short list of festivals. (La Tomatina, Notting Hill Festival, World Bog Snorkelling Championships, Aste Nagusia fiesta).

Are these a set selection that winners can choose from, or would they be able to attend any festivals running in the 10 day travel period? Do we need to consider the countries we would like to visit in relation to these festivals?

Thanks,

R

  R Apr 25, 2014 2:14 AM

76

Hi Alicia,

Any money I currently make comes from playing music in a pub every month and doing irregular articles for an online magazine. I get paid 20 euro per article. Technically this means I'm getting more than 25% of my money from writing, but I'm not sure whether the words 'profession' or 'income' apply to such a small amount of money. Am I still eligible to enter the competition?

Thanks


It doesn't sound like you are a professional, you are eligible to apply. - Alicia

  Aaron Apr 25, 2014 4:05 AM

77

I'm confused as to what the journal screen name needs to be. It says no spaces, is this more of a 'hash tag' type title describing the entry or is it completely separate from the entry itself and will show up on any blog as an 'overall headline' unique to the entry itself?

Thanks


This is separate from your entry and is just used to sign into your Journal and as your ID on World Nomads, - Alicia

  Nush Apr 25, 2014 7:03 AM

78

Hi am writer but am studying engineering i wrote many of peoms and now am starting write a book so do i qualify to apply


Please see comment #62. - Alicia

  Cliff Apr 25, 2014 1:11 PM

79

This is a wonderful program, it allows sweating on each other's culture and convergence between the countries of the world.

  douk Apr 25, 2014 7:14 PM

80

What is journal


This is your World Nomads blog, which you will create to submit your entry. - Alicia

  muhammed l saidykhan Apr 25, 2014 9:23 PM

81

Hi Alicia,

I would like to write about England, but I don't see it in the list. Any reason please?


The drop down list of countries is for your Nationality, you fill in the 2 boxes with your desired destinations. - Alicia

  Bernprice Apr 25, 2014 9:45 PM

82

Hello,

I am interested in applying for your scholarship. I was wondering if I would still be eligible for entry with my passport due to expire in November. I was planning to send it in for renewal as soon as I return to California form Brasil in two weeks. Would it be best to wait to send it in for renewal so that I may be able to provide you with it?

Thanks,

Caity


Either way, it is up to you (as long as we know you have a passport or one coming). - Alicia

  Caity Leonora Apr 25, 2014 11:31 PM

83

Hello! I am curious as to what countries count as a part of Europe for the purpose of this contest. Would Belarus and Romania be eligible?

Thanks!


See comment #97. - Alicia

  reklund Apr 26, 2014 4:06 AM

84

Hi Alicia,
Just want to say well done on all the replying your doing! Great job!


Thanks :) - Alicia

  Jeff Apr 26, 2014 9:01 AM

85

Hi Alicia,
If I won, would it be possible for a significant other to come with me, provided he pay his own way?
Thanks!


No, sorry. This opportunity is for the 3 winners only - it wouldn't be a money-can't-buy opportunity if you could pay your way onto it. He could however meet you after the assignment if you were to stay in Europe after. - Alicia

  Val Apr 26, 2014 12:23 PM

86

Hey Alicia,
I'm really interested in entering this competition (obviously or I wouldn't be here) but I've never traveled out of the country before. How can I make a travel-based story? Is it okay if it's just about places or events I've been to and things like that? Interstate road trips to festivals for example, or does it need to be much broader?


Of course you can write about your own country. - Alicia

  Sam Graffeo Apr 26, 2014 3:49 PM

87

Hi Alicia
Great job on replying to so many questions. My question is regarding the application form where it asks for our twitter and youtube handles. Are they necessary for the application process or are they optional to provide? Thank you and regards


They are optional. - Alicia

  Anna Apr 26, 2014 8:16 PM

88

Hi, is it OK if I don't have a passport right now but acquire it some time later?


As long as we know you have a passport on the way, you are fine to apply. - Alicia

  Minh Nguyen Apr 26, 2014 9:21 PM

89

If someone used to work as a writer and now has quit, is he eligible for this scholarship?
Thanks.


See comment #62. - Alicia

  Hanh Minh Apr 26, 2014 9:47 PM

90

Hello WorldNomads Team.

A couple of quick questions-

I see that GoEuro provides the transportation on the trip. Is the transportation a car, bus rides, train trips, or a combination? Do we have a choice in what the transportation mode is or is it assigned? (The transportation mode affects the two cities I would visit, as I can write while on a train, but not driving in a car. Also there are cities that don't offer public transportation as readily.)

Next item- Is Montenegro an eligible European country as one of the two regions?

Thank you very much,

Galen


The 3 winners will work with GoEuro to determine the best modes of transport between the destinations (some places may be more limited in options than others). Please refer to comment #97 for a list of countries. - Alicia

  kayakphotographer Apr 27, 2014 11:46 AM

91

With the word count, does it have to be a maximum of 2500 characters including spaces or would we be allowed a few extra. Say 30 extra characters including spaces. If I submit it will i be disqualified for going over the word limit?


2500 characters is the maximum - any entries over will be disqualified. - Alicia

  Ollie Goldson Apr 27, 2014 1:45 PM

92

Hi, this is an amazing opportunity! I was just wondering, when writing about which two cities to choose, do we give a short explanation about why we want to go there, or is the name of the country/ city enough? Thank you!


Just the name for now. - Alicia

  Megan Apr 27, 2014 1:52 PM

93

Is swearing a no go? Or, will swearers be discriminated against? Not that I'm addicted to profanities, it just sometimes helps with alliteration.


If it help with/enhances the story... - Alicia

  Ann Apr 27, 2014 11:16 PM

94

I work as an advertising creative. Travel writing means a lot to me, even though I have never written about travel professionally. Can I apply?


You should be eligible. - Alicia

  Dipanwita Apr 27, 2014 11:30 PM

95

Hello, I just want to make sure before I apply: Everyone who wants to participate must write a story about one of the mentioned topics. And you will choose the best 3, right?


Yes. - Alicia

  ElMohri Sidali Apr 28, 2014 12:03 AM

96

Good day,

I just wanted to ask, if you name 2 countries that you want to travel to and it requires visas, will World Nomands offer assistance with the visa process or do I have to aquire visas on my own?

Thanks


You will need to acquire the necessary visas on your own, however we are happy to provide any necessary documents needed and pay for the visa fees. - Alicia

  Karina Apr 28, 2014 2:52 AM

97

Hi Everyone,

To clear up any confusion, here is the list of countries in Europe. If the country is also considered to be part of Asia, that country will not be considered as not part of this road trip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_area

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships Apr 28, 2014 10:51 AM

98

Technicality- is it 2500 characters WITH spaces, or without spaces?
Cheers!

With spaces, as measured by the counter on the application form.

  Eva Apr 28, 2014 11:11 AM

99

Hi,

Does the 2500-character entry have to be a written essay, or is there a way to submit a multimedia entry? For instance, I currently write a travel blog using original comics and photos. Thank you!


At this time we are only accepting written essays. - Alicia

  Vy Apr 28, 2014 11:31 AM

100

Hello!

I'm a student of faculty of Journalism graduating this year. I don't work as a journalist yet so I don't have any income from writing. Am I able to apply?

All the best,
Helen


Yes, you are eligible. - Alicia

  Helen Apr 28, 2014 5:41 PM

101

Dear Alicia,
I have 2 questions about the Conditions of Entry, number 8.

It is said that "the 3 scholarship recipients must submit 4-5 feature travel articles from your road trip (within 2 months of your return) that will be published on World Nomads and partnerwebsites as briefted before the trip".

1. Does it mean that we should submit these articles before departing to Berlin? And write about the past road trips we did on our own?

2. It is said "the road trip within 2 months of your return", what if you dont have any road trip in the past 2 months?

I appriciate your answer,
Many Thanks


Hi KC - These articles are in reference to the winner's road trip and not past experiences - all to be submitted after the European assignment. - Alicia

  KC Apr 28, 2014 5:41 PM

102

i'm from Indonesia, can i apply this scholarship? thank you :)


Yes, this scholarship is open to all nationalities, so long as you can obtain visas to your chosen countries. - Alicia

  Karissa Apr 28, 2014 6:54 PM

103

If one of the winners was Deaf and requires a sign language interpreter in their preferred sign language, would it be provided for the workshops in Berlin?


Yes, we could arrange this. - Alicia

  Sherrie Apr 28, 2014 8:01 PM

104

hi,

it says we should choose 2 cities in Europe we would most like to visit, does this mean the 10-day road trip would only involve those two cities or does it mean the road trip will involve those two cities among others?

~Rosary


It may involve others too. - Alicia

  Rosary Natania Apr 29, 2014 12:21 AM

105

Hi. I'm currently applying for a passport. Do you require a passport number in order to submit my entry? Thanks.


As long as we know you have a passport on the way, you are fine to apply. - Alicia

  Ann Apr 29, 2014 1:19 AM

106

Hello, would love to do this! However, I haven't really travelled much yet! So the essay is quite hard! Anywhere I have travelled was a holiday when I was young, staying in a hotel. Can it be a simple travel experience, like in the same country even! Could it be fictional by any chance?
Thanks!


Yes, your story can be from your home country. - Alicia

  Aurora Apr 29, 2014 5:48 AM

107

I submitted my application two days ago and it still hasn't shown up on the entries list. Should I resubmit?


We have your entry here: http://journals.worldnomads.com/anastos/story/113412. - Alicia

  Lauren Apr 29, 2014 11:29 AM

108

I was just wondering, I work as a community manager (social media platforms, etc).

Would this be considered professional writing? because I do write stuff...not exactly 'real' writing that I love, though.

I hope I get a reply soon because I'm itching to start!


You are eligible. - Alicia

  A San Apr 29, 2014 5:58 PM

109

I'm currently working as a Public Relations and Media liaison officer and would like to find out if I would be eligible to enter. One of my job responsibilities include writing press releases or edit them sometimes.

Thanks
Zuki

Do writing activities take up more than 25% of your time? If so, you are ineligible. - Alicia

  Zukiswa Apr 29, 2014 8:41 PM

110

Hello,

Do I have to be a Student? because I've graduated 3 years ago yet I'm very interested to participate. Besides, eagerness to change careers to travel writing.

Ashraf.


No, you do not have to be a student, however, you can't be a professional writer if you want to apply. - Alicia

  Ashraf Apr 29, 2014 11:02 PM

111

Are we allowed to continue traveling on our own after the 28th of August instead of returning back home?


Yes. - Alicia

  Michel Apr 30, 2014 12:33 AM

112

The opportunity is quite great and exciting. Why you decided to choose only three persons and not more than three? How do you balance the gender?


We actually have only chosen 1 winner in the past - this year we are trialing opening up a 2 more spots. Gender has no influence in choosing the winners. - Alicia

  Joaquin Sendolo Apr 30, 2014 12:51 AM

113

Excuse me. When applying I was asked for an entry on a story travel. I was wondering does it have to be based on a country I have actually visited or can I right something out of imagination? What if I have never been outside my country, can I just write about my hometown?

Thank you :)


See comment #86. - Alicia

  Kholoud Salahuddin Apr 30, 2014 2:43 AM

114

At the 4th part in *few questions for scholorships*, what we have to do with website/blog and youtube/vimeo section?. i am bit confuse about it


If you have a blog or are on those social channels, you can share your details there. - Alicia

  Dhanak Apr 30, 2014 3:52 AM

115

Is this an annual scholarship? I would love to apply, but my study abroad begins August 27th, and so I will not be available this year :(


Yes it is, check back in again next year! - Alicia

  grace Apr 30, 2014 10:32 AM

116

I have in the past worked as a journalist. I am no longer working in the same capacity. Do I qualify to apply?


Please see comment #62. - Alicia

  Priyadarshini Chatterjee Apr 30, 2014 4:02 PM

117

Hi,

I am currently an undergraduate student and I having working as a Sub-Editor for a local magazine for the past six months. While my work involves some writing but mostly editing and planning for the magazine, this is my primary (and only) source of income.

Would I still be eligible to apply?

Thanks


You are eligible. - Alicia

  Yukta Apr 30, 2014 5:13 PM

118

Hi Alicia,
Apologies for adding to your (very) long list of questions to reply to. In 2010 I worked as a copyeditor for a newspaper for just over a year. For the last three years, though, I have been working in Communications & Events for a non-profit and now I'm a consultant with a retail store. I have written a few freelance articles over the years, but writing has never accounted for more than 25% of my income. Am I still eligible to apply?
Thanks!
Aneesha


It sounds like you are eligible then. - Alicia

  Aneesha Apr 30, 2014 8:01 PM

119

Hi Alicia,

Travel writing for me would be a dream come true!

For this opportunity though, I'm still a little confused about eligibility.

I'm a freelance television journalist. If I'm writing news reports for television, would I still be qualified to apply? I ask because travel writing is a whole 'nother world and it's print.

Thank you for clarifying!

Jennifer


It sounds like you are a working journalist and you spend more than 25% of your time writing - this means you are ineligible . - Alicia

  Jennifer Apr 30, 2014 11:18 PM

120

Hello,

I have two questions!

first one, as I am from Yemen and live in yemen, and here in my country we must have a visa to get to Germany! will I be accepted to be one of the winners having no visa!?

second one, would you please guide me to the link of the three winners stories of 2013 !


If you should win, we will cover the visa costs (which you will have to apply for). We had one winner last year and you can see his entry and the shortlisted entries here: http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/story/100965/China/Travel-Writing-Scholarship-2013-The-Winner. - Alicia

  Hoyda Alkebsi Apr 30, 2014 11:44 PM

121

Good day!

With regard to the story, is it suppose to be recent or you can write even your childhood experience? Secondly, I am from Africa and almost every country that l would like to travel to in Europe requires a visa so l wanted to know if World Nomads does pay for the Visas(suppose one gets selected). And lastly, on choosing the cities, can l choose for example Queensland-Australia London-UK? if so will you help to aquire all the visas or if you do you only help with one Visa. Thanks


Edward, the story can be from any time. As for the visas, we do cover any necessary visa costs, but you will need to apply and do the paperwork yourself. In terms of destinations, please see the list of European countries in comment #97. - Alicia

  Edward May 1, 2014 12:37 AM

122

Greetings!

I have attempted to submit my application several times but have received no indication that it has been successfully processed. Hoping for some assistance.

Thanks!


I have just emailed you. - Alicia

  Tim May 1, 2014 10:23 AM

123

Hi! Just wondering whether or not I would be considered a professional writer for the purposes of this scholarship. I did work as a community reporter for about 1 year for a small-town newspaper (because there were no positions available in my field when I moved to the community) to try writing out. However, I have been away from it for over two years now and living my life as a stay-at-home mom. If you google my name, you will find the articles I wrote in that time, but I do not write at the moment and haven't had any income from it in over two years. Can I still apply?

See comment #64. - Alicia

  Brianne Z May 1, 2014 3:06 PM

124

Was just wondering how strict you are with the word limit? I know it says 2500 characters, but will we be penalized if we go over the character limit?


If you go over, your entry will be disqualified. - Alicia

  Annika Tague May 1, 2014 8:30 PM

125

Hey I am interested. No writing experience what so ever but I can make anything interesting . I have lived in 4 cities and 3 countries and travelled 19 countries in 26 months. I have just come back and have itchy feet bad. I am young(25) I just want more crazy stories and more experiences. I haven't even tried Belgium Beer yet! Am I eligible?


You are eligible to apply. - Alicia

  Samuel White May 2, 2014 12:49 AM

126

"You must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in any way, you must be available for the entire assignment."

are the dates set yet ??
thx


The dates are listed in the top right corner of the page in the box labelled "Important Dates". - Alicia

  Jannat elhariry May 2, 2014 2:07 AM

127

Hi
Once I completed the online application and pressed apply my entry didn't go anywhere except the terms and conditions box kept ticking and un-ticking. I will wait one day to see if my entry has been submitted.

Just concerned that my entry did not go through

Thanks


You will receive a confirmation email if you applied successfully. You may want to try enabling your cookies and entering again. - Alicia

  Josh May 2, 2014 2:54 AM

128

Hello,
I was wondering what months are the travels arranged for? My school closes on 13th December to 6th January. In case I get a chance to travel, is this convenient? Does someone need any visa for travelling, apart from what they already have? For example, if I already have a Costa Rican visa.


See comments #121 & #126. - Alicia

  Phenny Omondi May 2, 2014 3:13 AM

129

Hi,
It is stated that, "You must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in any way, you must be available for the entire assignment." When are the travel dates set?
Thanks


See comment #126. - Alicia

  Dani May 2, 2014 6:54 AM

130

Are the stories to write to submit have to be true/personal accounts or can they be fictional travel stories to enter?


We would prefer them to be true stories (but we may never know the difference). - Alicia

  elizabeth king May 2, 2014 9:13 AM

131

Hi,
Just wondering are this years topic and themes the same as last years?

Thanks,

Sam

They are new. The themes are listed in the "How to Enter" tab above. - Alicia

  Sam reynolds May 2, 2014 11:30 AM

132

Hi,

I'm a news reporter and am very interested in applying. As a reporter, I would say I spend 25% of my time researching, 25% shooting stories 25% writing and 25% on air. Is this method of judgement when it comes to how much I write acceptable?

Thanks!

If you spend 25% or more of your time writing, you are ineligible. - Alicia

  Melissa May 2, 2014 12:30 PM

133

Alicia-hi!

I was wondering about the leniency of age. Turning 18 in July as well as graduating in early June, is it still plausible I can enter? I should like to try at least, as it is a dream that I would like to explore further. The concept itself is so close, yet so far away it arouses the lack of fear.

Thank you!

We hope to see your application next year - keep writing! - Alicia

  Edith May 2, 2014 1:31 PM

134

I do not understand the requirement of number of characters. My essay should be less than 2500 words or what do you mean by characters?

Characters refers to the number of letters and spaces in your essay. - Alicia

  Noemi May 2, 2014 1:57 PM

135

Hi Alicia,

Wonder if I can put photos within the story?
Thanks in advance for your response.

Cheers.

You can if you like, however, they will not be part of the judging process. - Alicia

  Mia Adiyani May 2, 2014 2:47 PM

136

Hi Alicia,

Hope you wont be too annoyed answering the same question over and over again but I have a specific circumstance wherein I am employed as a copywriter in an advertising agency and yes, i derive my sole income from writing. But I have been having doubts about my career choice of late and been toying with a desire to try my luck in travel writing, that's when i came across this scholarship programme. Where does this leave me in this scholarship scenario? Am I eligible to apply? I am looking at travel writing as new career choice for me, something that truly brings two of biggest passions together - travelling and writing about it.Will my background as an advertising writer mar my desire to be a travel writer?

It sounds like you are unfortunately ineligible to apply. - Alicia

  Ammu May 2, 2014 4:14 PM

137

Buenos días, soy un chico egresado de la carrera de Comunicación Social y Periodismo en mi país, ahora resido en Barcelona, trabajé durante un tiempo en medios informativos, por el momento y debido a mi actual trabajo no he podido continuar en esta rama. Actualmente escribo mis experiencias viviendo en un país al que llegué como turista y en el que he tomado como segunda patria, lo que escribo estoy tratando de plasmarlo en un pequeño libro.
¿Puedo postularme a esta beca?
De antemano gracias, saludos cordiales.

Edwin, if you make less than 25% of your income from writing, you are eligible to apply. - Alicia

  Edwin David May 2, 2014 5:10 PM

138

I was wondering do we have to mention the two cities we would like to visit in our essay or do we talk about that in a separate page?

You enter these in a separate part of your application - no need to include them in the essay. - Alicia

  Marco Garza May 2, 2014 5:12 PM

139

Hi, does the entry need to be necessarily in the form of a prose or even a poem is fine? In case both are okay, is there a preference for one over the other?
Thanks

I have emailed you. - Alicia

  Souvik Gupta May 2, 2014 7:21 PM

140

I have professionally done grammatical english editing for research papers in 2006 for few months. It was purely technical and not writing content on my own. Will I be eligible?

Does writing take up more than 25% of your time? If not, you are eligible. - Alicia

  Meher May 2, 2014 8:16 PM

141

I have a book-short stories- published in Arabic .. i am quite good in English and i worked for a while as a translator -from English to Arabic - in Egyptian newspaper is it okay for me to apply?


If you make (or have made) more than 25% of your income from your writing activities, you are ineligible to apply. - Alicia

  Amira May 2, 2014 8:49 PM

142

Hello Alicia,
i have a doubt about the title of the story. does it have to be in english? can i use any other language for an effect?

Yes, you can, if it makes the most sense. - Alicia

  Shreya Raman May 2, 2014 9:04 PM

143

are there any age requirements? limits?

Please see the "Who Can Apply?" tab above. - Alicia

  Yelena K. May 2, 2014 11:22 PM

144

Traveling means evry thing to me it's like lessons any body will learn too much and write the daily Detials and shear it with others and take pictures then show them to the world and talk about the countries's cultures traveing is areally amazing way to discover and Learn new things and get more information and get expiriance

  jawaher May 3, 2014 3:53 AM

145

Hello!=,

Is the scholarship confined to literature? Or is it as broad as music, songwriting etc?

Spanks,

J

Your entry should be a travel story. - Alicia

  Josiah Birrell May 3, 2014 8:18 AM

146

hi this is ankita,
is it okay if i write in third person? i mean as the narrator of a story..

Yes you can. - Alicia

  vespucci May 3, 2014 8:55 AM

147

Hello,

I have a question about the second prompt: on the Conditions of Entry page it is "The first time I..." but on this page it is "The first time I saw". Which one is the right one? Thank you.

It should be "The first time I saw..." Good catch. - Alicia

  Eleonora May 3, 2014 8:57 AM

148

Hi Alicia,

I have a question about the themes. I am working around the theme of "I'll never forget the day that..' However I am a bit confused as to whether you actually require this exact phrase to be in the essay?

Thanks,
Susan

No, you don't have to include the exact phrase. - Alicia

  Susan May 3, 2014 9:06 PM

149

Hi there! My travel story is 164 signs too long, does that matter? Do I need to cut off or will that do?
Cheers.

See comment #124. - Alicia

  pipall black May 3, 2014 11:19 PM

150

Hi there! How detailed should the itinerary be? Day-by-day, or generally what you want to explore in your destination?

Right now you just need to include the 2 locations that you would like to visit. We will work to create detailed itineraries with the 3 winners. - Alicia

  Shauna May 3, 2014 11:48 PM

151

Does the character count include spaces or not?


Thanks!
Megan

It includes spaces. - Alicia

  Megan May 4, 2014 12:55 AM

152

when i try to submit journal for the scholarship, it always says that my writings should less than 2500 characters, well it does already less than 2500 characters. I made it become only 2200 characters, but still I can't submit it.. what should i do?

Does your character count count spaces? Email me at scholarships@worldnomads.com if you are still have problems. - Alicia

  regina May 4, 2014 9:49 AM

153

Hello,
I would like to know if there is any kind of theme I would have to follow in order to apply and also is it okay to talk about a trip I had in my country?
Thanks

Please see the themes that you can write to under the "How to Enter" tab. - Alicia

  Amira Ismail May 4, 2014 10:14 AM

154

Hi Alicia,
Just wondering if there is any equipment provided for the assignment. While I have a computer, it is not one I would travel with and I have not yet succumbed to the smartphone world. For the daily blogging and instagraming required, without the technology, could I still be selected?
Thanks!

No equipment will be provided, however you should be able to do everything you need to at an internet cafe, if you don't have you own. - Alicia

  Mary Raikes May 4, 2014 10:26 AM

155

Hi there,
For some reason it won't let me hit agree to the terms and conditions. Is there another way to ensure my entry is received as when I hit apply nothing seems to happen!
Many thanks

See comment #179. - Alicia

  alice May 4, 2014 4:59 PM

156

hi there. i am quitting my job as a semi-professional writer before August. does it make me qualified? thanks!
liliana

If you made more than 25% of your income from writing, you are ineligible. - Alicia

  amulet May 4, 2014 5:06 PM

157

Can I write an imaginary travelling story? should it be about myself? should I write obstacles that I have faced and people I met?should I describe the places and the monuments that I have visited?

Please see the themes that you can write to under the "How to Enter" tab. - Alicia

  sara May 4, 2014 8:38 PM

158

Hello
Q
Age minimum is 18 years. What is the maximum age acceptable?
Thank you.

There is no maximum age. - Alicia

  Sophia rose May 4, 2014 9:35 PM

159

excuse me I wanna asked about if I have a passport is not available now , but If you accept my application I will renew it >>>> Can you accept this ?

See comment #88. - Alicia

  fantastic May 5, 2014 2:35 AM

160

Hi Alicia,

I'm a translator by profession, but in my spare time for extra income, I do articles for online publications and individuals. This is not on a regular basis at all so I don't consider myself a professional since this is not my main source of income and I wouldn't like to be disqualified. So, am I eligible?

Thanks

As long as the writing activities do not make up more than 25% of your income, you are eligible. - Alicia

  Frosina May 5, 2014 2:55 AM

161

Hi, dear Alicia!
There is something I want to ask you--- is it obligatory to have some experience in writting? I am not writer, I dont even have a blog.
But travelling is my passion, it is my lust and I will do my best to join your program.
Moreover I am from Ukraine and I dont have enough possibilities to travel the world because of the poverty of our country and political situation nowadays. Thats why I want to send you my story
Can I do this?
Thank you for uour answer.
Mariana

No, you do not need to have experience in writing to apply. - Alicia

  Mariana May 5, 2014 5:37 AM

162

What a shame! my friend recommended this for me since it is my sort of thing Unfortunately I am unable to apply due to the fact I will not be 18 by the time of the deadline but I would be 18 by the time of the travel . I even have a blogspot outsideyourfrontdoor where I write sbout these sort of things. Hopefully next year then.

We hope to see your application next year - keep writing! - Alicia

  Kaycey May 5, 2014 10:55 AM

163

Hi Alicia!
I am from Argentina and I am currently living there. Can I participate? is the contest also destinated to peolpe from South America?

The scholarship is open to all nationalities, however, you must have an exceptionally high degree of proficiency in written English. - Alicia

  Amira May 5, 2014 11:38 AM

164

Hello,

Do the two destinations I chose should include one of the European destinations that you mentioned in the conditions of entry?

Thanks,

Vivica

Pick any two places you like for now. - Alicia

  Viv May 5, 2014 1:01 PM

165

Hi Alicia, well done on answering all the questions. I just read one of your comments "We would prefer them to be true stories (but we may never know the difference)." This disturbed me a bit because the word 'prefer' suggests that you'll still allow fictional stories. I thought the stories submitted HAD to be true (I know you all won't really be able to tell the difference, but surely openly allowing fiction will change the whole competition).

Can you clarify this for me?

Thanks


Hi Ena - Yes, we want real travel stories (ideally about something the author experienced). However, if the author adds details or embellishes or tells a story about something that happened to a friend, we cannot fact check on every single detail - which is what I was referring to. - Alicia

  Ena May 5, 2014 6:03 PM

166

Hello;
I am a bit confused concerning the web site I should add, and youtube/Vimeo!!! What's that!

You don't need to include the links to your social channels if you don't have them or prefer not to. You don't need to submit a video. - Alicia

  Sara May 5, 2014 7:50 PM

167

Hi Alicia,

I was wondering whether the essays should be structured formally, or whether you're looking for a more creative approach similar to the winning entries last year?

It is up to you. we're OK with either approach. - Alicia

  Lizzie Lewis May 5, 2014 10:05 PM

168

Hello,

can I please ask if the scholarship is given to someone who's studying in a university at the moment.

kind regards,
Nyiko

Yes, the winners can be (but don't have to be) students. - Alicia

  nyiko khoza May 5, 2014 10:28 PM

169

I want to post the article I submitted to another blog where I have a user name but I want to change some bits there...
I know I can post it but can I make changes and post it there??

Yes, you can alter a past essay that you have written and submit it. - Alicia

  ladybug May 6, 2014 12:27 AM

170

i wrote my story but it is about 3,300 words against the 2500 word limit given. what do i do?

It is actually 2500 characters, not words. You will want to revise. - Alicia

  Jerry May 6, 2014 1:38 AM

171

Hola buenas tardes, he seguido todos los pasos y no me deja seguir con el punto 2 de la aplicación. Qué hago? Gracias

I have just responded to your email. - Alicia

  Edwin May 6, 2014 4:19 AM

172

hey alice,
it is mentioned that we have to take pictures and post it on instagram... what about people who don't have a decent camera??

You can use your camera or your phone. - Alicia

  shreyaraman May 6, 2014 4:31 AM

173

Hi,

I already applied and submitted my essay 3 times & each time the same page "Apply Now" appears. How do I know that my application had been submitted successfully? There is no notifications or anything that confirms submission, so how can I know that it was submitted? thx

  SarahAllam May 6, 2014 6:24 AM

174

Hi Alicia,

Are we allowed to use the symbol "&", or is it compulsory to use the actual word?

Thanks!

We would prefer the word written out in the actual essay. - Alicia

  Cassandra May 6, 2014 6:48 AM

175

hi there ! i haven't still understood, whether my flight to berlin would be payed for me or if it's me who's paying in case I WIIIIIIIIIIIN!!!
thanks alicia

The T's&C's outline everything included in the prize for the winners: http://scholarships.worldnomads.com/scholarship_terms_and_conditions.aspx - Alicia

  jul May 6, 2014 7:30 AM

176

Alicia tengo problemas para presentar mi postulación, he intentado varias veces y después de escribir los datos explicativos le doy al botón aplicar y me envía de nuevo a inicio. Qué hago?
Por favor responder a la brevedad posible estoy muy interesado en la beca. Gracias

Please see comment #179. - Alicia

  Edwin May 6, 2014 8:15 AM

177

Hi,
I have applied to two of your scholarships before and not got in. Now, I'm the scriptwriter at a travel channel since just a month or so. I guess this renders me ineligible to apply for the scholarship which would have been a dream to aspire for. I need this just as much as any amateur aspiring writer does and I think it's a little unfair to make any and all professional writers ineligible for this. I understand the logic behind it, I assure you. However, there should be this sort of opportunity for our category as well. Is there no way absolutely whatsoever that I can apply to this?

I'm sorry Puja, you are ineligible. - Alicia

  Puja Gokarn May 6, 2014 4:49 PM

178

Hi Alicia, thanks for responding to my question no 109. The writing activities at work are less than 15%. I will be submitting my entry, thanks :)

  Zukiswa May 6, 2014 4:57 PM

179

Hi Everyone,

If your entry does not seem to go through, you may have forgotten to fill in one of the components of the entry form. Please check again carefully and fill in ALL of the necessary fields.

Otherwise, you may need to enable cookies on your browser (which you can find out how to do here: http://www.whatarecookies.com/enable.asp).

Finally, if your entry is successful, you will receive a confirmation email. If you haven't received the email, we don't have your entry. You will need to try again.

Best of luck all!
Alicia

  scholarships May 6, 2014 4:58 PM

180

Can you enter if your from South Africa?

Please see comment #102. - Alicia

  zethu May 6, 2014 6:12 PM

181

I've filled in all the fields it still wont let me send the application through it only keeps jumping to important dates despite the fact I will be available

Please see comment #179. - Alicia

  zethu May 6, 2014 6:33 PM

182

Hi,
Being an advertising copywriter, I just wanted to know whether there are any scholarships for travel writing (that you run) where I fall in the eligibility bracket?
Thank You

Please see comment #13. - Alicia

  tushar May 6, 2014 9:27 PM

183

How are we supposed to see if our entry was successful?

The list of successful entries can be found here: http://adventures.worldnomads.com/scholarships/?m=25. - Alicia

  Jessica May 6, 2014 10:36 PM

184

I would like to submit a story from the Faroe Islands, but unfortunately this country isn't included on the list provided. What should I do? Thanks.

You can submit it under Denmark. - Alicia

  leifr May 7, 2014 1:17 AM

185

Hi, I have same query as Mr. Souvik Gupta in post #139. Does the entry need to be necessarily in the form of a prose or even a poem/prose_poerty is fine? In case both are okay, is there a preference for one over the other?
Thanks

We would prefer a story over poetry. You can see last year's shortlisted entries here: http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/story/100965/China/Travel-Writing-Scholarship-2013-The-Winner. - Alicia

  Harshad Gupta May 7, 2014 3:09 AM

186

Hi,

I am considering entering the piece of work I submitted for my application to a competition in order to raise funds for a charity. I am wanting to ensure that by doing so I would not jeopardise my application (not that I am under the illusion I am going to be accepted by either, alas, better safe than sorry). If the piece were to win a competition would this affect the eligibility of my application? If so I will either not apply or revoke the winnings on the of chance that it were to win.

I appreciate any help.

Kind Regards,

Chloe

That's fine, as long as your essay fits the brief and one of the travel themes. - Alicia

  chloeminto May 7, 2014 6:49 AM

187

I guess the submitted story must be travel related. What if it's about a time I was living abroad, technically not travelling around? Does it comply with the requirements?

That is fine. - Alicia

  Ilaria May 7, 2014 7:48 AM

188

Please I Would like To ask Can i write Only about a Place ? Or do i have to write about a Journey ?
Thanks

You can write about either. - Alicia

  Marian May 7, 2014 8:41 AM

189

I am a journalist, from about two years but i have always worked in televisión and now im working on a health organisation, does this makes me unalegible? i have read that you should just not be wrting wich i havent done, and im a journalist in social comunication, that in my country Chile its not the same
Waiting for your answer, thank you

If you make (or have made) more than 25% of your total income from writing activities, we consider you a professional and ineligible to apply. - Alicia

  Caterinna May 7, 2014 12:09 PM

190

Hi there,

Are entries from New Zealand accepted?




Thanks

Please see comment #102. - Alicia

  Vonne May 7, 2014 4:40 PM

191

Thank you very much Alicia for your answer (#187)

  Ilaria May 7, 2014 6:15 PM

192

Dear Alicia,

Thank you for this opportunity. I have two questions:

- What is the average word count you are expecting for the travel story?

- I am not currently working as a professional writer, but I have previously published a book about one of my trips to Europe. Am i still eligible?

Regards,
Sheraz Ali

Your essay must be 1500 characters or less. If you make (or have made) more than 25% of your income from writing activities, you are ineligible to apply. - Alicia

  Sheraz Ali May 7, 2014 6:38 PM

193

Hello. Does the expression "tripping around Europe solo" mean that the winner(s) of this competition will be obliged to travel alone? Or can they take someone (a friend or a relative) with them? Thank you.


Please see comment #85. - Alicia

  Irena May 7, 2014 9:07 PM

194

Can someone, say a spouse, accompany the winner (at their own expense ofcourse)?

Please see comment #85. - Alicia

  Sukriti May 7, 2014 9:37 PM

195

Hi Alicia,

I work as a contractual editor for an educational institution. Does that make me ineligible for this scholarship?

Do you make more than 25% of your total income from writing activities? If so, you are ineligible to apply. - Alicia

  Ruchi Marshal May 7, 2014 10:16 PM

196

Hi Alicia,

Thank you so much for your help :) I followed the steps u mentioned concerning how to submit our entries successfully. I enabled the cookies and filled in all the mandatory fields. However, still my entry was not submitted successfully & I neither received a confirmation email nor found my story in the scholarship entries!

What am I supposed to do now?

Look out for my email. - Alicia

  Sarah Allam May 7, 2014 10:39 PM

197

I am a copy editor with a newspaper. Although I do not create written content, I happen to edit stories. Do I qualify as a 'writer'?

If you do not more than 25% of your total income from writing activities, you are eligible to apply. - Alicia

  Debanjan May 7, 2014 11:19 PM

198

Hi,
I am 18 year old recent high school graduate. Am I eligible even if I am not university student?
Thank you:)

You are eligible. - Alicia

  Aidana May 7, 2014 11:22 PM

199

Hi! I sent my entry a few days ago but i can't find it in the 'schoolarship entry' section. How can i know if it was submitted?

Regards
CK

We don't yet have your entry - please try again. - Alicia

  Anita May 7, 2014 11:26 PM

200

Hi Alicia,

I finally managed to sumbit my entry, however it is in the journals section not the "scholarships latest entries." Is that okay??

You have not applied. Please use the application form to enter

  arwen77 May 7, 2014 11:44 PM

201

Hello! I'm a student from Romania. I have a question about the passport issue: since I'm from the EU and the countries I went for are in EU, too, do I still need to have my passport ready when I make my application? I'm askimg because it's only a week left and I don't know if it can be ready that soon. Thank you very much!

"If you are an EU national , you do not need to show your national passport when you are travelling from one border-free Schengen EU country to another." So, no, you wouldn't need a passport, just an ID. - Alicia

  lera May 8, 2014 12:46 AM

202

Hello,
Although I read your comments above, since I am really interested in this opportunity I would like to clarify.

I am a social media marketer and been unemployed for the past couple of months. My work did entail some amount of writing but not wholely.

Am I eligible to apply?

You are eligible. - Alicia

  Rashida May 8, 2014 1:06 AM

203

Dear Alicia,
My previous comment was not published. But I am interested in the programme and would therefore ask to inquire again. I am a Zambian. I did journalism training and thereafter i did my internship for 3 months. I have not practiced mainstream journalism but just provided consulting services in Public Relations before I went back to school for my honours in development studies. Currently I am not earning anything and my writing is purely academic. I am eligible for the scholarship?

Regards
CK

You are eligible. - Alicia

  Christopher May 8, 2014 3:09 AM

204

Hello Alicia,

A few things went wrong when the text of my entry was submitted:

1. A phrase in Cyrillic letters came through as ????????. Can you substitute the transliteration, "Skol'ko za bel'ye?" so that it makes sense?

2. The paragraph indentations disappeared.

3. The title was repeated at the beginning.

Can you help?

Thank you,

Diane



The title has been removed and the translation added. - Alicia

  scheherazade May 8, 2014 3:44 AM

205

It says that winners will be required to update daily blog posts and instagram photos. Are we required to bring laptops and If not from Europe, will the winner be shouldering offshore internet expenses?


Bringing a laptop would be helpful, but you can use internet cafes instead if necessary. - Alicia

  Bea May 8, 2014 4:04 AM

206

Hi
Is it really 2500 characters? It's way less than a page! Or maybe I misunderstood something?

Yes, it is 2500 characters. - Alicia

  Cati May 8, 2014 5:00 AM

207

I used to work as a scriptwriter for a travel channel in my country. I worked only for 8 months in that company while my overall experience as a writer is 2 years.. currently I am unemployed and just writing stories for my blog.. can I apply?

If you make (or have made) more than 25% of your total income from writing activities, we consider you a professional and ineligible to apply. - Alicia

  sonal May 8, 2014 6:10 AM

208

Heya, I was just wondering whether Moscow / St Petersberg count as Europe?
Thanks

Please see comment #97. - Alicia

  Manú May 8, 2014 9:39 AM

209

Hi there,

I completed a short-term freelance writing contract with a company last month, but I do not have any assignments at the moment, hence no income. Although the whole of my income stemmed from writing awhile ago, can I consider myself eligible now?

Thanks in advance.

Allie

  Allie May 8, 2014 3:22 PM

210

Hi, I was a journalist five years ago but quit the profession and I am now in a marketing and community development role. The writing part of my job is only around 10% while the rest is analytics, planning and coordination. Do I still qualify to apply? Kindly advise.


If you have made more than 25% of your income from writing activities, you are ineligible. - Alicia

  Mu May 8, 2014 3:56 PM

211

Hi, Alicia

I've submitted my entry. But I haven't received any confirmatory e-mail. Nor was I directed to any 'entry-received' page. I'm worried. Should I submit my entry once again?

Thanks,
Pearl.

its fine. you can see it here: http://journals.worldnomads.com/pearlrapose

  Pearl Rapose May 8, 2014 4:11 PM

212

Hi Alicia
I know similar question has been asked before, but, here goes..

I was working with a travel organisation handling their marketing which also included reading and checking for mistakes/rectifying in a new itinerary before it went on the website. Also, i wrote a few responses as a PR person in an agency. Writing was never a main job, in fact I was denied a travel writing job for the same reason (Sigh). I do not have a way in figuring out whether they contributed to 25% of my salary. Its mostly a not, still if you could help clarify this doubt.

The only major writing I do is for a personal blog, which has travel as one of the things I write about and for another non travel project I started. I do not make any money from either.

Can I apply for this?

Thanks :)

You are eligible. - Alicia

  Bidisha May 8, 2014 6:02 PM

213

Hi!

I think I accidentally erased my entry cause I don't see it on my stories page (http://journals.worldnomads.com/spicyindian/#axzz3180wCCKh), nor on http://adventures.worldnomads.com/scholarships/?m=25. Can you help me figure out what I did wrong, if anything?
Thanks!
Babita


It looks like you need to apply again. - Alicia

  spicyindian May 8, 2014 11:13 PM

214

Hi again! I tried to re-send my entry (other 3 or 4 times!) like you suggested to me, but i recived no confirmation email so i think it didn't go through. I filled every field (i'm sure!) and i also enabled the cookies on my browser.
Why can't i send it? What can i do?
Thank you

Email me at scholarships@worldnomads.com and I'll look into it for you. - Alicia

  Anita May 8, 2014 11:23 PM

215

Hello,

I currently live and work in Beijing, China, so when I submit an entry (very soon) it will be from this location. However if (and only if) I am one of the three winners at the result announcement of June 6 I will have re-located to my hometown in New Zealand (I am an NZ citizen by birth). I do have availability to travel during the chosen competition dates, I just want to know if my re-locating between the submission to results dates will have any effect on my entry being admissible before submitting.

Kind regards,

Erin.

No, it won't affect anything. - Alicia

  Erin May 8, 2014 11:43 PM

216

Hello! I'm from Ukraine. Are there any age limits? I'm 33 now.So can I apply for this interesting programme? Thank you!


See comment #158. - Alicia

  Yevgeniya May 9, 2014 12:00 AM

217

Hello! I'm a second year medical student who loves writing! Am i eligible to enter this programme?? Thanks!

You are eligible. - Alicia

  preesha May 9, 2014 1:25 AM

218

Dear Alicia,

I followed all the steps you said, but my entry was not submitted. I enabled the cookies, filled in all the fields, created a journal & did everything, yet nothing. I've been trying for over a week now & nothing seems to work. I see that most people're complaining from the same problem, so it seems that there is a propblem in the website. So, pls inform the maintenance to do something about it because we might miss the deadline like this.

  Sarah Allam May 9, 2014 1:51 AM

219

Hi Alicia! 2 questions: 1) if i start the essay application and for some reason i have to quit writting for the moment, should i be able to continue where i left or do i have to do it all again? would i have trouble registering again? ; 2) I know this is not a resume of all the places i´ve been (they´re not so many) but i would like to write more about my most memorable experiences from the places i´ve visited, is it ok? Thank you.


You need to do your application all at once. You cannot come back and edit it. Since you only have 2500 characters, you may want to focus on one story, but it is entirely up to you - so long as it fits one of the outlined travel themes. - Alicia

  Patricia Ferrer May 9, 2014 4:48 AM

220

hi..
i am from indonesia, 22 years old. students. hw many participants will be a winner? i mean, hw mny person will get the chance to get this travel scholarship?

There will be 3 winners. - Alicia

  Irma May 9, 2014 4:53 AM

221

Hi, I'm from Kosovo and I'm wondering if I am eligible to apply ?

Thnx


So long as you can obtain a visa to your chosen countries, you are eligible to apply. - Alicia

  Albana May 9, 2014 5:21 AM

222

I don't have a contact phone right now and probably won't until midsummer (sorry). Can I put my email instead?

Emma

Yes. - Alicia

  Emma Morgan May 9, 2014 5:53 AM

223

Hi, I was wondering what you are looking for in the "itinerary." A brief (250 words?) description of the two cities/areas of Europe I would like to visit or would the listing of the two locations suffice?

Thanks,
-Serena


Just the names of the 2 places is fine for now. We'll work out the finer details with the 3 winners. - Alicia

  Serena May 9, 2014 6:33 AM

224

Dear Alicia,
Does the 2500 character count piece necessarily have to point towards a destination i.e. place or city and the experiences there or can it also be in general, about the travel itself.. the journey? Would the latter be disqualified?
It would be great if you can clarify this as I am wary if my piece would qualify according to the topics.
Regards.


You can write about the journey, so long as it fits with one of the outlined travel themes. - Alicia

  Hemalatha Venkatraman May 9, 2014 8:43 AM

225

Hi Everyone,

We are in the home stretch of the application period! Before you leave a comment, please make sure you read through ALL of the application details above (sorry, they are not flexible), as well as all of the previous comments. Chances are, your question has already been asked and answered.

Best of luck to you all!
Alicia

  scholarships May 9, 2014 11:07 AM

226

This question may already have been asked and answered, but I did not see it in the comments section.

Can I enter and then obtain a passport after I know that I have won, if I win?

I can have a passport ready to go in two weeks, which will be enough time to still be available for the trip. But currently I do not possess a passport.

What do you recommend? Obtain a passport now and enter, or enter now and obtain a passport later?

If you can obtain one in 2 weeks, should you win, that is fine. - Alicia

  The Witty Platypus May 9, 2014 11:46 AM

227

i am not a proffesional writer but write stories for film makers. iam not a university graduate but aspiring to be a travel writer. am i eligible.

Does writing constitute more than 25% of your income? If so, you are considered a professional and ineligible. - Alicia

  POPOOLA SAMUEL May 9, 2014 1:38 PM

228

For the two places in Europe to write about, do you consider Iceland as part of Europe?


Please see comment #97. - Alicia

  Frances May 9, 2014 8:57 PM

229

Hello Alicia,

In my short 'personal essay' I include a couple of quotations. Do I need to fully reference them, or will citing the author suffice in this case?

Thank you!

Sophie


Citing the author is fine. - Alicia

  Sophie May 9, 2014 11:37 PM

230

I can submit an entry longer than 2500 character?

Please see comment #91. - Alicia

  Nouraelatreby May 10, 2014 7:05 AM

231

Hi Alicia,

I did submit an entry earlier today , but i dint get an acknowledgement .

I am not sure if my entry got through. Could you please confirm ?

Thanks
Balaji

We do not have your valid entry yet. - Alicia

  Balaji May 10, 2014 9:45 AM

232

Hello Alicia,
, I was wondering how the judging process happens, do you read through all the applicant essays or do you shorten the list first by the about me sections or something before reading them and judging the winner?
Thanks
Madoc Flynn

We read everything and judge all parts of the application. - Alicia

  Madoc May 10, 2014 8:32 PM

233

Dear Alicia,

I am not sure if my application has been accepted as on hitting the " Apply" button, the page just rolled to the top.

Would you please check?

I have also sent an email to you.

Thanks,
Rajrupa

I have just responded to your email - your entry was successful. - Alicia

  Rajrupa Das May 10, 2014 10:20 PM

234

Hello, can I apply if I turn 18 in August ? And how do you choose winners?

Please see comment #36. - Alicia

  Malika May 10, 2014 10:57 PM

235

I have just tried to apply but after I click 'apply now' its just rolls back up to the top and has no signs that it has submitted, also it says my 'about me and reason i should win' section says *must be less then 1200 in red, but it is way below that anyway?
Help please!

  elizabeth king May 11, 2014 1:43 AM

236

Hi, uumm.. honestly i didn't really understand about travel journal, i mean, i never go traveling before except i traveling into my hometown Flores. i ust want to ask, what kind of travel journal i've to write? is it okay if i write my travel journal in Flores, Indonesia? thanks

  gemmaflorencia May 11, 2014 2:03 AM

237

Dear Alicia,

I have been able to submit my application! I have also received my confirmation email.

Looking forward to the results...

Thanks!

  Rajrupa Das/winkingwiz May 11, 2014 4:58 AM

238

Tried to submit my application 5 times now, still not working!!

I have just sent you an email. - Alicia

  elizabeth king May 11, 2014 5:10 AM

239

I didn't read the comments until I had already submitted my entry. You have replied to someone saying that you would prefer short stories over poetry. Part of my entry is poetry - does this automatically count me out?? Thanks

  pretendingtospeakfrench May 11, 2014 9:38 AM

240

Hi! I was wondering if selecting a country such as Russia or Ukraine would affect my chances of winning giving their political activities at the moment. Thanks for helping me out :).

Please see comment #97. - Alicia

  Stephanie Sang May 11, 2014 11:26 AM

241

Dear Alicia,
could you, please, clarify if there us age limit?


Please see comment #158. - Alicia

  Aygul May 11, 2014 12:45 PM

242

Dear Alicia,

I just submitted an entry entitled ‘The White City’ and I noticed that some of the characters I used in it have turned into excessive question marks upon uploading!

It now reads "I stepped off the overnight train and looked up at the brown sign beaming against a peeling background of acrid yellow. ???????. Right, yes, ???????!…”

When in fact it should have “Београд” written there! Is there a way I can change my entry at all?

I’m so sorry, I had no idea it wouldn’t accept my characters!

Kind regards,

Sophie

I have just emailed you. - Alicia

  anenglishgirlabroad May 11, 2014 5:31 PM

243

hey,
Is there a way I can confirm application for the travel writing Scholarship. the page does not show anything and when i click again my information is still there.
Timothy.

We do not yet have your successful entry. - Alicia

  Kironde Timothy May 11, 2014 5:57 PM

244

Hi Alicia,

I've just submitted my entry, and am looking forward to finding out who the winners are! Just one last question - I used italics and bold type to emphasise certain parts of my story (for example, to separate my thoughts from the narrative I used italics). However this formatting doesn't show up when the story is submitted? I am concerned that this might affect how you read my story?

Thanks,
Susan

Don't worry, it won't affect judging. - Alicia

  susieblue May 11, 2014 8:52 PM

245

Hi! I will be 18 years old on the 21 of June.
Can I participate?

See comment #36. - Alicia

  Julia May 11, 2014 11:41 PM

246

Hi

You've written that the entries need to be 2500 and 1200 characters. Not words right?

Right - characters. - Alicia

  Priyadarshni Sharma May 12, 2014 12:41 AM

247

Hi
I'm disabled will that stop me entering?

No, feel free to enter. - Alicia

  Mincub May 12, 2014 12:50 AM

248

Hi,

For this scholarship, are st. petersburg and istanbul considered part of europe?

Thank you.

See comment #97. - Alicia

  Hanieh May 12, 2014 3:22 AM

249

I'm from Kosovo and at the country of residence isn't shown this option "Kosovo"

We are working to update this in the list. You can just check "worldwide" for now. - Alicia

  shkurta May 12, 2014 4:59 AM

250

2500 characters with or without spacing?

See comment #50. - Alicia

  Lorna May 12, 2014 5:24 AM

251

Hey Alicia,

Is there a character/word limit for our itinerary (our writeup of the two destinations we would most like to visit in Europe)? Thanks!

You just need to write the names of the two places you would like to visit. - Alicia

  Wendi May 12, 2014 10:03 AM

252

Dear Alicia,
So sorry to ask, specially because there may be a few similar questions on this site already, but if I'm a soon-to-be-journalist-major (currently writing my thesis) and have no articles published whatsoever -emphasis on published, since I've written quite a few chronicles and such during my college experience- am I elegible? Plus, I was an exchange student in Japan when I was 16. I was there for one year, and I could totally write about stuff that happened to me/felt there. Bottom line is: this sounds like an amazing opportunity and I just need to know whether I can apply or not. Thanks in advance :)

You are eligible. - Alicia

  Nayla May 12, 2014 1:00 PM

253

Hello,
I know you said professional journalists, editors and copywriters. But I wanted to clarify about copy editors? As a former editor/copy editor, 99% of the professional writing I've done are headlines and kickers for photo captions. Would that exclude me from applying? Thank you.

Unfortunately, we have to draw a hard line somewhere and if you worked as a professional writer, making more than 25% of your income from writing activities - no matter the content - you are not eligible for this opportunity. - Alicia

  Kim May 12, 2014 4:10 PM

254

Hey there!

I just submitted my entry and the little country tag says Canada, but it's actually about South Korea. That doesn't matter does it?



I've updated this for you. - Alicia

  lindseyg090 May 12, 2014 8:07 PM

255

Hey,
I am trying to submit my application but I keep getting this message: 500 error Ooops, the server is too busy right now, or we've encountered an error. Try refreshing the page
is there any other method to submit my application?

Email me at scholarships@worldnomads.com if you still haven't gotten through. - Alicia

  nadiak10 May 12, 2014 9:15 PM

256

Does the entry have to be written in an essay structure? Or is it just a story you're looking for?

We're looking for a great story. - Alicia

  Kate May 12, 2014 10:17 PM

257

Hi Alicia, I just saw in comment #147 that one of the themes should have been 'The first time I saw...' and not 'The first time I...', which was one choice in the conditions. I uploaded my essay before this comment was posted and based it on the theme 'The first time I...', followed by a different verb than 'saw'. I hope this will not be judged negatively, as it obviously is a fault in the descriptions you posted?

That's not a problem. - Alicia

  Bernadette May 12, 2014 10:51 PM

258

Dear Alicia;

I was wondering whether the going and return airfare costs from our hometowns to Berlin are part of the scholarship or not?

Thank you.

Yes. You can read everything that is included in the prize in the T&C's: http://scholarships.worldnomads.com/scholarship_terms_and_conditions.aspx

  Tasnim May 13, 2014 1:16 AM

259

Hi Alicia

I am from Kosovo, ad there isn't the option Kosovo in the country residence. Should I choose Albania or what?

I saw that someone else has the same problem but you didn't answer.

Please answer

We are working to update this in the list. You can just check "worldwide" for now. - Alicia

  Aliza May 13, 2014 1:23 AM

260

I was just wondering if I could change something about my application after I've sent it? like changing one of the two cities that I want to write about

Email me at scholarships@worldnomads.com. - Alicia

  egyptianobserver May 13, 2014 3:19 AM

261

Hi-just wanted to find out if my story was submitted. I may be stuck with dodgy internet the next few days and don't want to miss out on it. Sorry about that.

We do not yet have your entry. - Alicia

  Laura Webster May 13, 2014 4:54 AM

262

Another thing, I just read my entry again and discovered I had two punctuation mistakes, is there any way to edit my entry?

Email the details at scholarships@worldnomads.com. - Alicia

  Marwan Mowaffak May 13, 2014 6:04 AM

263

Hi There, is it possible to include a photo or 2 in our story?

See comment #135. - Alicia

  Anthony May 13, 2014 7:11 AM

264

Hi, what time on Thursday 15th do entries close and what time zone do you go by? I'm trying desperately to get it all finished and writing it around very long work days!

Australian Eastern Standard Time - you can check out the link above. - Alicia

  Julia May 13, 2014 7:19 AM

265

Hi Everyone,

This is just a friendly reminder that applications close this Thursday, May 15th at 2:30pm AEST. This is Australian Eastern Standard Time (we're ahead of most of the world), so please don't assume that 2:30pm means YOUR time zone. There is a countdown in the gray box above for your reference.

We suggest that you do not wait until the last minute to apply, as we do tend to get an influx of entries on the last day and things can slow down.

Don't miss out on this opportunity! No late entries will be accepted.

Best of luck to all!
Alicia

  scholarships May 13, 2014 1:52 PM

266

Hi,

Will the journal screen name be the name of my blog if I win?

Thanks a lot!

Both your Journal name and your user name will always appear on your blog. - Alicia

  Mehra May 13, 2014 2:13 PM

267

Hello,

Can you tell me how "Europe" is defined for this competition, please? Is it the Schengen Zone? The EU? Does the entire Balkan region count? Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova and/or Turkey? Just wondering which cites/areas I'm able to include in the planning.

Thanks very much!

Sorry if this was clarified earlier — I just discovered this scholarship and notice time is fleeing!

See comment #97. - Alicia

  Amanda Saxton May 13, 2014 9:13 PM

268

Hi,
I'd just like to know what difference is there between the journal screen name and the title of the journal itself.
Best regards!

Your user name identifies you on our site, the Journal title should pertain to your travel story. - Alicia

  Lucrezia Fontanelli May 13, 2014 10:58 PM

269

I tried entering but it wont let me check any of the boxes!! HELP!!!

You may want to try a applying with a different browser or computer.

  Qaqamba Mavovana May 13, 2014 11:07 PM

270

Hi,

Should i put photo ? If yes, should i put it on the esay or on the contact details?

Thanks for the information

You can include a photo with the essay, but it will not be judged. - Alicia

  Ferdina Syahnaz May 14, 2014 12:56 AM

271

Hi, I have read through most of the FAQs before putting down this question, just so I don't repeat what has already been asked.

I have made a mistake in my application... which is quite embarrassing. I gave Egypt as one of my two options of countries I want to visit. In haste I overlooked the fact that they have to be in Europe.

Is there a way of rectifying my mistake.

Many thanks

Sujata

Email me your two countries at scholarships@worldnomads.com. - Alicia

  sujatasetia May 14, 2014 4:48 AM

272

Hi Alicia,

I’ve checked through the Q&A to make sure I’m not repeating a previously answered question. In doing so, I noticed your patience, so I’ll thank you in advance.

I think there is a discrepancy in character measurement between MS Word and the World Nomads Online Submission Form. The original character count for my entry in MS Word is under 2,500 including spaces. However, when I copy/paste into the online submission form, it’s counted at 24 characters over.

After troubleshooting the issue to see if I could find a solution without pestering you, I found that each vertical line is counted as one character. For example, a text with 35 lines of text will be counted as 35 extra spaces. I’ve also found this to be the case with a standard TAB indent.

Lastly, all of the formatting in my original text (line spacing & italics) does not register in the online submission form. I’m wondering how the text will be displayed on your end once you review submissions.

So, my three questions are this:

1) How will the character count conflict be reconciled?
2) Is there any way to format text (bold, italics, etc.)?
3) Can you explain in more detail the purpose and location on the page for the Journal Title, please?

Thanks for your help!

-Tyler McCloskey

1: As stated previously, the character count is measured by the counter in the form - that is the ONLY measurement we use. The count includes spaces and other formatting.
2: Plain text only please
3: It is the title of the journal(blog) that is created as part of the application. Your scholarship entry appears as a story(blogpost) in your journal so that others may view it.

  Tyler McCloskey May 14, 2014 5:57 AM

273

Hello,

will the story be eligible if the characters are slightly over the limit (2753 exactly)?

No, it will be disqualified.

  Goryana May 14, 2014 6:24 AM

274

Hi, I submitted my entry but did not receive any confirmation on my mail. Could you kindly tell me whether you have received it?

There is no record of an entry with this email address.

  Dipanwita May 14, 2014 6:27 AM

275

Dear Alicia,

I have just applied but did not get any message of confirmation.
Could you please tell me whether you have received it or not?

Thank you.

There is no record of an entry with this email address.

  Tasnim May 14, 2014 8:28 AM

276

Dear Alicia,

I've submitted my entry about 3 times but you have just told me that you did not get it. Is it because I did not provide a blog/website address? (I left the space empty).
What shall I do?
If the entry is sent, will we receive a message?

Thank you.

Have you tried everything listed in comment #179 or tried applying in a different browser or on a different computer? You do not need to include a blog/website address to enter. - Alicia

  Tasnim May 14, 2014 10:08 AM

277

Hi Alicia,

I've submitted my entry and have noticed that two special characters which I've quoted lose their form once posted to the website. I am obviously unable to edit but it currently reads as if I've left a typo. I could substitute the characters with standard characters, but am unsure of what approach to follow in order to rectify this?

In addition, the title on my post reflects only the element which is left up to us i.e. my 'The first time I...' does not reflect, resulting in the title sounding incomplete. Should this be the case?

Thanks very much for the help.
Mark

Drop me an email at scholarships@worldnomads.com. - Alicia

  backpackfit May 14, 2014 1:08 PM

278

Hi Alicia,

I would like to ask if the country of residence should be the country that you are currently staying in (either for working or studying purposes) or your birth country?

Thanks.

It can be either. - Alicia

  Katherine May 14, 2014 1:11 PM

279

Hi,

I just entered the contest after filling in all the required fields, I'm just not sure that the application went through though, since I haven't received any confirmation message...My username is WonderfulWorld, can anybody confirm that it has been received or else let me know if I have to submit it again?

Thank you,

Georgiana

We don't yet have your entry. - Alicia

  Georgiana Tanasie May 14, 2014 2:10 PM

280

Hi Alicia,

I am originally from India (and so is my passport) however I am staying in New Zealand now so I have mentioned New Zealand as my "country of residence" after submitting my story. Is that okay?

Thanks,
Niyati

That is fine. - Alicia

  traveligation May 14, 2014 2:17 PM

281

Looking at GoEuro. It doesn't seem to provide services/information in some of the Eastern European and Balkan countries. Can we still submit these locations as our preferred destinations or should the locations submitted be under GoEuros reach?

You can chose either. - Alicia

  zita_whalley May 14, 2014 3:01 PM

282

Part of my writing style includes using italics to convey my thoughts... Your format doesn't seem to allow italics? May I submit it in another format, word possibly? Or is there some way to use italics? I tried right clicking and going to fonts and choosing italics, but it is not working.. Please advise...

Sorry the system does not support italics at this time. - Alicia

  Eryn Donnalley May 14, 2014 4:16 PM

283

Hey I'm 17 years old, I'll be turning 18 by end of August.
Am I eligible to apply?
If not, will you be having similar scholarships next year too?
I would really like to go...

See comment #36. - Alicia

  mbdiva96 May 14, 2014 4:25 PM

284

Hi Alicia,

Is there a weightage to the no. of views and comments on the submitted entries as a part of the the judging process ?

No, views/comment/shares have no weight in the judging process. - Alicia

  Sana May 14, 2014 5:02 PM

285

Hi,

My country of residence became mixed up with the country my story is about. I'm from USA and the story is about Indonesia.

Thanks in advance.



I have corrected this for you. - Alicia

  alebaldwin May 14, 2014 5:29 PM

286

Hello, I'd like to ask, I just lost my internet connection for a while when I clicked submit to finish all the steps :(
I worried that my own's not entry yet :(
Could you please check my submission? or is that any page to check my submission? Please help, thanks.

We have your valid entry. - Alicia

  Siti Maesaroh May 14, 2014 6:45 PM

287

Is there another way to check to see if a submission is entered? Since the deadline is coming up (tomorrow), I am not able to confirm whether my submission was entered. If I wait until tomorrow, the deadline will have passed.

Thanks.

If you receive a confirmation email, you have entered correctly. Otherwise, email me at scholarships@worldnomads.com. - Alicia

  Angela May 14, 2014 7:34 PM

288

I am trying to apply for the competition, but somehow I'm not able to tick the box for "Conditions of entry". I'd appreciate any help!

Please see comment #179. Also, you may want to try on another computer or in a different browser. - Alicia

  Annelien May 14, 2014 8:49 PM

289

Hi,

Does the entry have to be 2500 words or can it be significantly lesser?

It needs to be under 2500 characters, not words. - Alicia

  Shenaz May 14, 2014 9:08 PM

290

Hi :)

I've tried applying twice now but my story is not appearing in the submitted stories section?

If you receive a confirmation email, you have entered correctly. Otherwise, email me at scholarships@worldnomads.com. - Alicia

  Gabriella Achadinha May 14, 2014 9:28 PM

291

Dear,

What if my story exceeded more than 400 words?
actually my story is about 600 words, I tried hard to make it less but unfortunately i couldn't.

So will world nomad accept my story?

If your story is more than 2500 characters, it will be disqualified. - Alicia

  Mansoor May 14, 2014 9:44 PM

292

I applied twice but each time i go through the final step it brings me back to the previous page, how can i confirm if my entry has been submitted?

If you receive a confirmation email, you have entered correctly. Otherwise, email me at scholarships@worldnomads.com. - Alicia

  M.Afridii May 14, 2014 10:51 PM

293

Hi guys, I submitted this evening, however the site did not confirm my entry. When I pressed apply it just returned to the top of the page. Could you please confirm whether or not this has been processed? Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers,
Kat

We have your valid entry. - Alicia

  Kat May 14, 2014 11:04 PM

294

Dear Alice,

sory to ask again. In the enter the schoolarship now point 2 "Create a journal for your entry" which journal does it mean? is it the story or wht?

Thanks for the information

You need to create a Journal, because that it where your story will go. - Alicia

  ferdina suherman May 15, 2014 12:13 AM

295

Hi,
I wrote you earlier saying that I cannot see my text uploaded on your page anywhere. I have tried over and over, and done what you said I should, but I cannot seem to find it. Do you know what might be the problem? Or are you able to check if my text has been uploaded?
Hanna

We don't seem to have your entry yet. Please see comment #179. Also, you may want to try on another computer or in a different browser. - Alicia

  Hanna Skotheim May 15, 2014 1:29 AM

296

How do I know my application and essay have been sent and received properly? You wrote that it can take a day for the list to be updated, but the deadline is in 12 hours....

If you receive a confirmation email, you have entered correctly. Otherwise, email me at scholarships@worldnomads.com. - Alicia

  Enrica May 15, 2014 2:25 AM

297

MY story involved 3 different countries (Iceland, UK, and Canada). Which one should I choose?

Just choose one, it doesn't matter which. - Alicia

  Ryan May 15, 2014 2:50 AM

298

Hi Alicia

Thanks for a fab job answering questions.

I noticed on the website it states that the winner will be announced 6 June, however, on my application confirmation, it states otherwise: 15 June.
I will not be in my home country on 15 June and this is therefore an important question to me.

Thank you - I would also like to wish every entrant the best of luck. May the best entries kick ass :-)
I dont think I will sleep until mid June? Feels like the Oscars :-)

The winners will be announced on June 6th. - Alicia

  Porsche K May 15, 2014 3:21 AM

299

Hello,

How much time should we devote for the ride alone in our itenerary? I'm trying to figure out how distant our 2 destinations can be.

Thanks,
Tom

The winners will travel for 10 days on their own. - Alicia

  Tomasz May 15, 2014 3:47 AM

300

I have already submitted my application and I fear that I misunderstood the nature of the roadtrip - if selected, could we potentially change our destinations?

Yes, we will discuss the destinations with the winners. - Alicia

  RileySarah May 15, 2014 3:50 AM

301

Hi, is it possible to interchange the names of the journal and the essay after submission? I mistakenly got it mixed up.

  Amritha May 15, 2014 4:26 AM

302

Hi, I just submitted my essay and there happens to be a small issue with the paragraphs. The spacing between paragraphs is missing making my essay look like one long para. could you please assist me with this?

That is fine, you will not be judged against for this. - Alicia

  priyankagolasangimath May 15, 2014 4:33 AM

303

Hi guys, I submitted this evening, however the site did not confirm my entry. When I pressed apply it just returned to the top of the page. Could you please confirm whether or not this has been processed? Thanks for your help in advance.

Please see comment #179. Also, you may want to try on another computer or in a different browser. - Alicia

  isabm May 15, 2014 4:47 AM

304

Hello, I just submitted my application and I did a stupid mistake, I wrote a journal name under the username part. Is is this a big problem and is there a way I can edit it?
Thank you

You unfortunately cannot change your username once you have created it. - Alicia

  milesandsmileaway May 15, 2014 5:04 AM

305

Hi, I made a mistake and the application I sent was over the word limit - is this a problem? and if so how can i fix it?!

If you are over the 2500 character limit, your entry will be disqualified. Email me at scholarships@worldnomads.com. - Alicia

  lauren May 15, 2014 5:50 AM

306

Hey, I have no idea if my entry has been submitted as the page didn't show any response. Please help!

We do not yet have your entry. - Alicia

  Lily May 15, 2014 6:31 AM

307

Entry submitted. All the best.

Cheers!

  harsimran_singh12 May 15, 2014 6:42 AM

308

Alicia - fabulous job. You're Mother Teresa! Hang in there!
Just a few more hours to go...

  pakhibagai May 15, 2014 6:48 AM

309

Hi Alicia, thanks a lot for answering so many questions.

I just wanted to let you know that I submitted my entry ('Marble Ghosts') twice, once via Firefox and then again a few hours later using IE because I wasn't sure whether it had gone through the first time. This wasn't an underhand attempt to gain any sort of advantage, I promise!

Hopefully at least one of them worked, but if not hey ho - my fault for being a last minute merchant.

Best regards.

We don't have any entry submitted with this email address. - Alicia

  Alistair Steward May 15, 2014 7:13 AM

310

Hello :)
I just submitted my application, but I'm not sure if my entry went through as there was no confirmation.

Username: bhargaviraman
Title of the entry: Living the Orange Dream

Could you please confirm if you received it?

Thank you.

We do not yet have your entry. - Alicia

  Bhargavi May 15, 2014 7:18 AM

311

I, too, sent it twice, because I wasn't sure if it went through the first time. Not sure about the second either. :) It's exactly the same application though. Please do let me know if you received it?

Thanks!

We don't have any entry submitted with this email address. - Alicia

  Bhargavi May 15, 2014 7:26 AM

312

Hi Alicia,

I submitted my entry after several revisions in an effort to shorten the story and bring it more to point. I was very close but under the limit when I submitted, but I seem to have misunderstood how the spacing would look post-entering. Will we be penalized for not having an actual space between paragraphs? i.e.

I arrived in Berlin that morning and took in the majesty of the Brandenberg Gate.
The next day we arrived in Dresden, where the feel was something different altogether.

as opposed to

I arrived in Berlin that morning and took in the majesty of the Brandenberg Gate.

The next day we arrived in Dresden, where the feel was something different altogether.

Sorry for my mix up,

Max

No, that is fine. - Alicia

  maxomatosis May 15, 2014 8:02 AM

313

brandenburg*

  maxomatosis May 15, 2014 8:03 AM

314

My entry's country tag reads USA, but the story is about Tokyo, Japan. Is there a way this can be fixed?

I have updated this for you. - Alicia

  natalie_s May 15, 2014 8:53 AM

315

Hi Alicia,
I just submitted my story. Got a screen mentioning "we have received your application", but it is not showing yet online with the other submissions.
Could you please let me know if it is ok?
Cheers and good luck for the last few hours of the contest.
Stephanie

Yes, we have your valid entry. - Alicia

  thewonderingeyes May 15, 2014 9:32 AM

316

Hi!

I've tried to submit my entry twice, but I don't think it's gone through. Has it been received?

Thank you

Please email me your details at scholarships@worldnomad.com and I will check. - Alicia

  Cara May 15, 2014 9:55 AM

317

Hello,

I am trying to submit my application, but I am encountering the same problem as others have experienced before.
Each time I press the "apply now" button, I am redirected to the beginning of the process.

Could I know whether my application passed through? Thank you very much.

I have just answered your email. - Alicia

  Ioana Iordache May 15, 2014 10:30 AM

318

Hi! I have completed everything, but when I press the final "apply now" nothing happens? the deadline is only 4 hours away, can you help?

Please see comment #179. Also, you may want to try on another computer or in a different browser. - Alicia

   martmarie Knoetze May 15, 2014 10:37 AM

319

I have just filled my application and i want to check if it is received or not?


We don't have any entry submitted with this email address. - Alicia

  Ahmed May 15, 2014 11:33 AM

320

If someone opts out of going for whatever reason, is a runner-up chosen?

Yes. - Alicia

  al May 15, 2014 12:20 PM

321

Hi my name is Nandan Gupta. My question is that in general information it is mentioned that the winner will be announced on the 6th of June. But when I submitted my entry it said the winner will be announced on the 15th of June. Can you clarify? Thank you.

The winner will be announced on June 6th. - Alicia

  twbard May 15, 2014 12:41 PM

322

Hi, I was inquiring if my essay had been submitted. Like others, I submitted everything but it doesn't say it received it. Thanks!

We don't have an entry from this email address yet. - Alicia

  Alex May 15, 2014 12:46 PM

323

Hi Alicia, I posted last night but the entry just doesn't show up! Could you pl help? Thank you

We have your valid entry. - Alicia

  bytchcraft May 15, 2014 12:53 PM

324

Hi! I'm Thai. OMG I've just known this scholarship and I'm working. It remains 100 minutes and I can't write essay now.

However, I'm glad to know this scholarship, I love writing and I want to be a writer, but I can write only Thai and very poor in English. Then I'll practice more English and try this next year.

:)

  Piyapat May 15, 2014 12:54 PM

325

Hi Alicia

i want to know, what kind of journal do you mean here? is it the plan journal for if maybe i win the prize or the journal from my past travel story in my essay?

Thanks a lot for the information.

You need to create a journal so that you can submit your entry. This is the same journal that you will record your European travels in for us, should you win. - Alicia

  ferdona suherman May 15, 2014 1:03 PM

326

Sorry to ask again, I tried to submit my entry and I still am unsure whether it went through. I went to the designated page to see other entries, and mine is not showing up, however I read that it may take up to a day so maybe that is the reason? I created a journal, however in the application I stated N/A for twitter, youtube, etc because I don't have them. Any suggestions? Thanks a ton.

We do not yet have your entry. Try again. - Alicia

  alpama May 15, 2014 1:20 PM

327

I've just applied but it doesn't seem to work. What should I do?? It's almost deadline!!! Help please!

Please see comment #179. Also, you may want to try on another computer or in a different browser. - Alicia

  Nayla May 15, 2014 1:39 PM

328

Hi! Im not getting confirmation that my entry has entered. Can you help check please?

Please email your details to scholarships@worldnomads.com. - Alicia

  Vanessa Lipa May 15, 2014 1:39 PM

329

Hi Alicia, i already send my story, but when i read it again on your site it appear with a lot of space between lines, and i don't know why because when i send it it was okei, can you answer me.

thank you

Catherine

You won't be penalized for this. - Alicia

  thebrunettebites May 15, 2014 2:19 PM

330

Hi,
So I registered and answer and wrote both of my essays. Now I can't seem to find my article under the scholarship tab.
It's called: They call it Africa, but I call it Home my user name is: CoolKidInTheBlock

Please send the email address you applied with to scholarships@worldnomads.com. - Alicia

  CoolKidInTheBlock May 15, 2014 2:22 PM

331

Hi,
How much are personal websites considered?
I ask because I added my blog from 4 years ago (which was mainly me just ranting to friends and family about trivial things and funny experiences), and I've just been reading over it (which I'd never done.. wasn't even edited!) and I feel that it doesn't really reflect my writing or me now! It's quuuite bad.
Not that I'm ashamed of it... I just kind of am. Haha!

Thanks, Maria WIlliams

It has no weight in the judging process. - Alicia

  maria_nz May 15, 2014 2:33 PM

332

Hello Alicia,
I submitted my application and everything went smoothly. However, as I was updating my World Nomads journal account I realized I might've accidentally selected my current place of residence on the application as 'United States Outlying Islands', not 'USA,' which is what I meant to choose. I just wanted to inform you so that there isn't any confusion.
Thank you!

-Alexandra

You chose the United States. - Alicia

  wanderlustest1991 May 15, 2014 2:35 PM

333

Hello! I filled the application but I am not sure it is submitted. Am I supposed to recieve a notification proving that World Nomads got my applycation?

  yalovkina May 15, 2014 3:38 PM

334

I just logged in to upload my entry. At the time I started the login process, it said "23 minutes left." After I did a password reset, it said the contest was closed. What happened? Thanks :)

  Allison Williams May 15, 2014 4:43 PM

335

I have resubmitted my entry several times since 2 yesterday but I have not received any email conforming the validation of this entry

I want also to submit it today but unfortunately I found out that the deadline is over

Any way out please ?

  mohammed May 15, 2014 9:07 PM

336

Is the application closed? or do I still have time to submit my application?

  Magda Magdy May 15, 2014 9:50 PM

337

Why did you guys close the entries a couple of minutes before 2pm??

  Lee May 15, 2014 10:01 PM

338

Hi Alicia, do you announce the stories that have been shortlisted before June 6th? The wait is tough :) Would be nice to know either way if your story is still in the running!

  Tam May 22, 2014 7:36 AM

339

How will the winners be notified / contacted?

  David Jun 5, 2014 11:28 AM

340

At what time will the winners be announced? Many thanks (:

  oliviaw Jun 6, 2014 10:11 AM

341

This is my 3rd scholarship entry with little (to be honest, 'no') success till date. However, there is always a faint glimmer of hope that maybe, despite the bleak probability, that maybe this one might just sail through.
I have realized one thing though: Its not the result, its the journey that matters. What you achieve is not as important as the person that you become in the process of attempting to achieve your goal.

Cheers and best of luck to all who applied! There are no losers, everyone is a winner!

  harsimran_singh12 Jun 6, 2014 2:08 PM

342

The wait is always nerve-wracking.
(..nail biting..)

  harsimran_singh12 Jun 6, 2014 2:10 PM

343

Waiting for the results... Any info on when they are coming out?

Thanks!

  Deepika Kaur Jun 6, 2014 4:49 PM

344

Waiting eagerly for the results. It's the D-day.. June 6th.. What time are the results to be announced? Will the winners be emailed too, apart from putting the results up on this website?

  thehighwaymoksha Jun 6, 2014 5:34 PM

345

the suspense is killing me softly, so softly...

  waitress Jun 6, 2014 6:24 PM

346

A countdown to the announcement would have at least saved me the merciless wait. Can we get an idea by when is the announcement to be made?

  thehighwaymoksha Jun 6, 2014 8:10 PM

347

Hi, what time will the winners/shortlist announcement be made? Also, which section of the website??

  scribbles Jun 6, 2014 11:23 PM

348

Never felt so anxious in my life -- I enjoyed a lot of the stories. I wasn't able to read them all, of course, but enough to know the judges are having a hard time with so many talented writers.

  Lale Gil Jun 7, 2014 12:21 AM

349

Been checking literally every half an hour. Haha! (Nervous laugh)

  perpetuallyperipatetic Jun 7, 2014 1:15 AM

350

The longest day of my life!!

  amrithasindhu Jun 7, 2014 1:22 AM

351

Why isn't the result out yet... :/

  kayo-kai Jun 7, 2014 2:31 AM

352

Guys, if you look at the terms and conditions you will see that it says that the winners will receive an email and the names can be announced on the site within 14 days.That is what I understood at least.

  evi Jun 7, 2014 2:43 AM

353

That day when all you think about is one and only one thing. Least productive day of my life

  laleswanderlust Jun 7, 2014 2:45 AM

354

Hi, I have two questions:
why are there some entries after 15th of May?
and where are the results?

Does this mean that you changed the schedule?

  ruba Jun 7, 2014 2:46 AM

355

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your patience.

We have just announced the winners of our 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship here:

http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/story/117899/Worldwide/Travel-Writing-Scholarship-2014-Euro-Road-Trip-Winners-Announced

Congratulations to the winners and shortlisted entries! Thank you to all that applied...and keep on writing.

Cheers
Alicia

  scholarships Jun 7, 2014 2:59 AM

356

Well done you guys! Have a fantastic time in Europe :)

  Ryan Jun 7, 2014 4:26 AM

357

Dear Alicia,
First of all, congratulations to all the finalists, and to the winners most particularly.
But mostly, commiserations to you!!! I used to teach post - graduates, and they, like so many of your applicants, read neither the rules nor the previous Q&A. You have shown patience beyond expectations, and I congratulate you!

  Dr. Sylvie Tourigny Oct 4, 2014 11:51 PM

358

maybe next year :(

  etisu Oct 28, 2014 7:32 PM

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.