Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

Passport & Plate: ITALY 2014

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 21 January 2014 | Views [290764] | Comments [113]

Applications are now closed - best of luck to everyone that applied!

We believe that you can learn much about a culture through food and want to give three enthusiastic (and hungry) travelers the chance to connect with and better understand the real food scene in...ITALY!

These keen cultural explorers will travel to Italy and discover the history and techniques that makes Italian food a star on the world’s stage – as well as the vibrant people that keep these traditions alive through their passion and dedication.

Each recipient will spend one week in a different region of Italy where they will meet their Italian ‘mentors’ – speaking to local farmers and artisan providores, making pastas in nonnas’ kitchens, and getting your hands dirty pruning vines, milking goats and making salamis.

In that time, each recipient will be followed by a cameraman to document their experiences as they uncover new techniques, tastes and atttudes towards food and living.

Photo by Mark Hofmeyr

Who we're looking for

We are looking for 3 different food explorers to send to Italy:

1. The Anthropologist - You are here to delve into the social habits and traditions that accompany food and eating in Italy. In a culture where people live to eat, you are most interested in the pace of life, the attitudes towards food and the sense of community that this way of life creates.

2. The Pilgrim - You are on an epicurean journey. You are here because something has drawn you to Italy, be that heritage or circumstance. To you, eating in Italy is like walking the Camino de Santiago in Spain - something that will transform you emotionally or physically and give you new perspective on life.

3. The Culinarian - You are interested in learning the artistry of food. Perhaps you are an aspiring chef or want to open up your own restaurant - this is really about turning your passion for food into a profession. You are here because you want to learn the techniques and the local recipes to bring back with you.

Note: Each of the 3 food explorers will be matched with one of the regions of Italy (below), these corresponding regions will not be disclosed until the winners are announced.

About the Regions

Emilia-Romagna

Though famed for fast cars and famous musicians, Emilia-Romagna also won’t let you go hungry. In fact, it is considered the Heart of northern Italian food.

The capital city of Bologna has been nicknamed “la grassa” (the fat one) – a name you’ll understand (and pay no mind) when you tuck into the famed prosciutto and handmade egg-based pastas of the region.

Emilia-Romagna is also the place to get the real Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, sample balsamic vinegar that can be aged in wooden casks for 60 years and wash it all down with a sparkling red wine.

 

Photo by John Gubertini, Cozzano

Cinque Terre National Park (Liguria region)

Cinque Terre National Park was the first of it’s kind established in Italy. This decision has protected the five medieval towns (that Cinque Terre is so famous for) by keeping out motorized vehicles and promoting sustainable tourism.

While seafood reigns in Cinque Terre, this is also the home of pesto and where foccacia can be bought off the street as a lazy afternoon snack. The terraced cliffs surrounding the villages also drip with lemons, olives and vines that produce the sciacchetra sipped at the end of every meal.

After you’ve had your fill, hit the narrow and winding trails and drink in the stunning coastal views or hop into the beckoning sea to marvel at the pastel postcard villages above.

 

Photo by Ente Parco Cinque Terre

Langhe & Roero (Piedmont region)

Langhe & Roero is situated in the Piedmont region in the northwestern part of Italy. Here, agriculture and food production lead not only to good nutrition, but also a rich heritage - and many talented local providores.

Rolling hills with vineyards and hazelnut groves, emerald meadows filled with free-range cows and sheep mean that the panoramas are only trumped by the amazing cheeses and wines that the region produces.

This region is also the birthplace of Slow Food, host of the annual International Truffle Fair and an important stop along the ancient ‘Salt Route’ (where excellent recipes and many a food legend originated).  

 

Photo by John Gubertini

What’s the deal?

* We'll fly you to Italy from your country of residence.

* You need to be available to be in Italy from May 31 - June 9, 2014 (dates may vary by a few days) to participate in the project.

* You will keep a daily diary about your time on the trip and upload this plus pictures you've taken to your WorldNomads.com travel journal.

* Your new food experiences in Italy will be filmed by an accompanying cameraman who will edit 3 travel videos starring you.

Who can apply?

* Anyone can apply - this is open to food writers, bloggers, aspiring chefs, and just plain passionate eaters with a story to share!

* Minimum age 18 (by application deadline)

* You must hold a current, valid passport (with 6 months left before expiry)

* The scholarship is open to all nationalities (subject to obtaining an Italian visa), however, you must have an exceptionally high degree of proficiency in written and spoken English.

* You must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in any way, you must be available for the entire assignment.

* You should be a mad-keen foodie with adventurous tastebuds, a curiousity for all things Italian and an openess to interact with locals.

* You must be up for eating anything at anytime, pitching in with the cooking and cleaning up! Picky eaters need not apply.

* You must be comfortable in front of the camera, and sharing your emotions and opinions with the world.

 

Photo by Mark Hofmeyr

The Prizes

The 3 Winners will receive:

* An 7-day custom trip to 1 area of Italy (Cinque Terre, Langhe & Roero, Emilia-Romagna) organized by the local tourism boards and Can't Forget It{aly} including accommodation, meals and local transportation.

* Round-trip airfare from your country of residence to Italy.

* Travel insurance for the duration of the trip from World Nomads.

Important Dates

**You need to be available from May 31st - June 9th to participate on the assignment.**

Applications Accepted: January 21 - March 14, 2014

Judging Period: March 15 - April 6

Winners Announced: April 7

Assignments: June 1 - June 8

Photo by Edoardo Cicchetti

To apply you need to:

1. Submit a recipe (in English) with accompanying photos

This can't just be any recipe, this recipe needs to come with a story. It could be the hand-me-down pierogi recipe from your Polish great-grandmother. Or maybe the the fish curry you learned to make on your trip to Sri Lanka.

Whatever it is, it has to be special (we don't want to see 50 spaghetti bolognese or chocolate chip cookie recipes) and something that you think would transport other travellers to a new place, simply by making it at home. We want recipes with soul and with that make us miss a place that perhaps we've never even been.

Don't forget to include photos of your recipe that you have prepared yourself. If you can't make it, we probably can't either!

2. Tell us in 2000 characters or less (this includes spaces) the story behind the recipe and what makes it so special to you.

It's up to you to convince our judging panel through your recipe, story and essay that you have the spirit of adventure and passion for food to be chosen for this program. We will be looking for:

- a unique, mouth-watering, tried-and-tested recipe (with accompanying photos of the dish, cooked by you)
- a great story behind your recipe
- strong eye for detail
- a compelling reason why we should send you to Italy                                                                                                                                                                   
3. Complete a 1500 character max essay telling us why you should be chosen, what the opportunity will mean to you and which category of food explorer you are applying for. Your answer will provide considerable weight in the judging process.

The entry must be submitted in English.

One entry per person.

Entries close March 14, 2014, 2pm AEDT (Australian Eastern Daylight Time UTC +11)

Conditions of Entry - please read!

Please don't leave your entry until the last minute, and note that the 2pm closing time is AEDT, not necessarily 2pm in YOUR time zone.

DOWNLOAD A 'PASSPORT & PLATE' POSTER;

A4 SIZE

A3 SIZE

US LETTER SIZE

About Can’t Forget It {aly}

Can’t Forget It {aly} is a web format that invites talented artists from all over the world to create new visual stories of Italy.

Tired of seeing boring, outdated communication, we decided to take travel marketing of this amazing country into our own hands. Or rather put it into the hands of young photographers, video makers, movers and shakers in the new media.

Travel. Learn. Create.

For all of you aspiring creatives, check out our Scholarships page and sign up to hear about our latest opportunities, tips, advice and interviews with industry professionals in the fields of photography, travel writing and filmmaking.

And if you're lucky enough to be mentored by one of our industry professionals, it could kick start your career!

About WorldNomads.com

WorldNomads.com keeps you travelling safely.  Whether you’re off for a long weekend, looking for the ultimate adventure or living the nomadic dream, you’ll stay safe with Travel Insurance you can buy online, anytime, and the latest travel safety advice. Learn how to flirt in over 25 languages with our free language guides and have an experience of a lifetime on a travel scholarship. We'll also help you share your journey with a free travel blog, get answers from other nomads to all of your travel questions (try the new 'Ask A Nomad' iPad app) and donate to a local community development project through our Footprints program.  

WorldNomads.com - an essential part of every adventurous traveller's journey.

 

Comments

1

Hello! What a great scholarship! I was just wondering, I eat everything except meat, would that be a problem?

Hi gourmet,

The winners of this program will be expected to try everything. If you are up for that, feel free to apply.

Cheers
Alicia

  gourmet Jan 21, 2014 8:53 PM

2

I'm a mad keen foodie who is also a vegetarian... while I personally will eat anything so long as it's not a dead animal (for ethical reasons), I can still appreciate the culture and the culinary traditions that go into producing meat-based dishes, even if I can't eat them. Disappointed to see your rules being so narrow-minded on this occasion, World Nomads. :(

  veg.foodie Jan 22, 2014 3:06 PM

3

Dear sir
I am Nepali student studing in Bulgaria.
I want to joint this event.
What are the procedure?
Where should I have to apply for this event?

  Sudan silwal Jan 22, 2014 4:00 PM

4

Hi, we do not need to know Italian and there will be a translator during the trip itself? Really interested to join as I am a foodie lover who loves to experiment in cooking as well as eating delicious food! :)
I did write some food blogs but only for my personal view and not in professional way. More to personal food review based blogging.

My English command is okay, but not top-excellent. Will that be acceptable for the application?

  sandy chow Jan 22, 2014 5:21 PM

5

Veg.Foodie,

So as a vegetarian myself, its also my conscious decision to choose not to eat meat. It's also my conscious decision not to expect that every program made available will need to accommodate my lifestyle choices. Is it narrow minded on behalf of World Nomads to expect that the winners should be comfortable with visiting, experiencing, a meat based culture such as Italy or selfish on your part to expect that they should also automatically accommodate your lifestyle choice as part of this program? I don't see anywhere that says you cant apply, nor do I imagine if you won they'd force you to eat anything meat based. Maybe if you ask nicely they might consider making one of the winners journeys vegetarian, would you World Nomads?

  PrettyPleaseVego Jan 22, 2014 7:25 PM

6

Hi. can i write about and document a recipe that my friend makes instead of me?
I am a huge foodie and am always exploring new food but i don't actually cook any of the amazing recipes that i would like to share for the recipe part of the application. Is this ok? I am a documentary filmmaker so would like to apply in the anthropologist category.

  Tazeen Jan 22, 2014 7:46 PM

7

Must it only be a recipe of ONE dish?? Or can it be a MEAL????

  Lourika Reinders Jan 22, 2014 7:48 PM

8

Part 3 of the application says complete a '1500 max essay' - is that characters or words? Thanks

  Adam Weymouth Jan 22, 2014 8:55 PM

9

Veg Foodie

Oh honestly of course you can't be a vegetarian to do this! Have you ever been to rural Italy?! They would find you very bizarre and frankly you would offend quite a lot of chefs with what would be perceived as fussiness.

I can understand vegetarianism, and my home city caters very well for it, but rural Italy will not! Plus you absolutely can not offer any insight into this for your audience if you are not jumping in there. This is not purely intellectual - it's experiential, you standing there not eating things is NOT interesting!

World Nomads have every right to expect people to be able to eat everything offered.

  Omnivore Jan 22, 2014 9:31 PM

10

HELLO :)It saunds really interesting :)i would love to try it.I am from Georgia.i want to know what can i do for be one of that lucky travellers :)

  tea Jan 22, 2014 10:59 PM

11

dear i want add this program. i m masud from dhaka city of BANGLADESH

  masud Jan 23, 2014 6:17 AM

12

Hi! I'm a Culinary Arts graduate here in the Philippines.. and I wanna apply! I'm looking forward to be in Italy cause I'm a traveler and a foodie at the same time... :)

  chefy09 Jan 23, 2014 9:21 AM

13

Hey there,
What about those of us with serious allergies?
Potatoes make my throat close up. Obviously this isn't just picky eating, or dietary choices. I'm totally game for eating anything else!

Charity,

Yes, feel free to apply, however, should you win it will be your responsibility to manage your own allergies in Italy as we cannot ensure that meals / food are managed to your needs.

Cheers
Alicia

  Charity Jan 23, 2014 10:03 AM

14

Sudan - You can apply by clicking on the orange "Apply Now" button above which will take you through to the application to fill out.

Sandy - You do not need to know Italian to go on this trip. Someone will speak English and / or be able to translate in each destination you visit. From your comment, it seems that your English is fine too.

Tazeen - Yes you can, we don't expect these recipes to be created by you, but rather recipes that you have encountered on your travels - so naturally they will most likely be learned or borrowed from someone else.

Lourika - Please keep your recipe to one dish - though the dish could have multiple parts, for example the recipe for making pasta and then the recipe for the sauce that accompanies it).

Adam - 1500 characters

Cheers
Alicia

  scholarships Jan 23, 2014 10:14 AM

15

Can the return flight be later than June 9?

Anthony - Yes, this could be negotiated with the winners.

Cheers
Alicia

  Anthony Gamma Jan 23, 2014 12:51 PM

16

hello.. i'm interested with this.. do you have any restrictions about this program??

  gypsy hope Jan 23, 2014 2:09 PM

17

am from india a journalism , bachelors student. Really exicted about ths . am gonna apply. i dnt want to camoflauge my feelings. I want to explore . All set ready to open up the can of worms. :-) my question is my passport is under process by march i would be getting . Hope thats not going to hinter me from applying. and the receipe which is to be sent what sort of story is expected, a real soul melting story or a attractive advertisment calling like one...
plz do let me know
thank u :)

  mareena Jan 23, 2014 9:18 PM

18

Hi!
I'm wondering, how will you chose a winner?

  Helen Jan 24, 2014 12:21 AM

19

What if I'm Italian?!
I'm allowed to partecipate?

  Alan Jan 24, 2014 12:36 AM

20

Ciao! Eva here from Passports & Pamplemousse - what an outstanding opportunity! we actually just returned from tasting a bit of Umbria today! Sadly, I am not sure I will available on those dates. Will you offer this again either earlier or later in the year?

  Eva Gold Jan 24, 2014 3:23 AM

21

Hello,

I'm very interested in applying. I have a 16 month old daughter (she would be roughly 20.5 months at the beginning of June). I would really want to expose her to this experience. She is young enough (under 24 months at the time of the trip) that she would likely be a free "lap infant" for flights. Is there any reason she would not be allowed to join me if I win? What about my husband? I didn't see anything about companions in the rules. Please give some additional information about these issues... For example, would we have to pay my husbsnd's flight but he could stay for free in my accommodations through the contest? Thanks in advance for your guidance. -Sara

  Sara W Jan 24, 2014 5:01 AM

22

gypsy - Please read the blog post above carefully which outlines the requirements.

Mareena - As long as you have a valid passport by March 14 when the winners are chosen, that should be fine. The story behind your recipe should share your experience with that particular dish and give us a sense of its meaning.

Helen - Winners will be chosen based on the combined strength of the recipe, the story and the personal essay.

Alan - Yes, of course Italians are eligible too!

Eva - This particular program in Italy is only taking place once.

Sara - The 3 trips are only for 1 person each. Should you wish to extend that trip in Italy after the assignment, that can be discussed.

Cheers
Alicia

  scholarships Jan 24, 2014 1:44 PM

23

Hello WorldNomads!

This is a very exciting opportunity for serious foodies and travelers and I would like to thank you guys for bringing it to us! :)
I wanted a clarification on the recipe and story behind the recipe that we need to submit. Can it be a recipe that I have already published on my personal food and travel website or does it have to be a previously unpublished one? Please let me know.

Thanks and cheers!

  Satarupa Paul Jan 25, 2014 2:02 AM

24

Aside from one food allergy (which is easy to avoid), I'm very excited about preparing to enter for this contest, Italy is one of my all-time favourite countries to visit. My question, however, is this: How will trip location be decided? Will it be determined by the contest organizers or by the contestants themselves?

  Jessica Jan 25, 2014 4:54 AM

25

Would the quality of the photo affect the judging? Does it have to be artsy or such? Also, does this count for any recipe like ones for secret sauces and smoothies or does it have to be a complete dish or meal? I hope you get what I mean.

  Mikaelo Jan 26, 2014 9:00 PM

26

I am a food writer, but do not know how to cook much. Is it ok to apply only for The Culinarian?

  Nina Jan 27, 2014 11:58 PM

27

Satarupa - Yes, it can be a recipe that you have already published, if you think it is the best one to submit.

Jessica - The winners will be matched with the regions by the organizers.

Mikaelo - Great photos are always nice, but they don't have any bearing on the judging process. Also, sauce recipes are fine, though you may want to include a recipe or description of what you put the sauce on.

Nina - The "culinarian" category is for applicants who do already know how to cook and want to better their skills and potentially turn then into a career. You may want to consider a different category.

Cheers
Alicia

  scholarships Jan 28, 2014 9:20 AM

28

I'm a tourism student of Nepal..and i like to travel and learn about other's culture, their food and their life style..so what should i have to do to participate in this program?

Sulav, you can apply by clicking the orange "apply now" button above. - Alicia

  sulav Jan 29, 2014 10:42 PM

29

OH MAN, OH MAN, OH MAN.

I want to apply to this so bad. I _live_ to try new foods. I think the best way of understanding a people is by eating what they eat. It's like swallowing a bite of love every time you try the dishes that represent a nation.

I have no dietary restrictions, and I would seriously eat tree bark if it tasted good. Let's do this!

  Audra Jan 31, 2014 12:57 AM

30

Ciao!!
I am an American living in Milan. Can I apply one of these adventures?

Hi Ella - Yes of course you can apply!

  Ella Ann Johnson Jan 31, 2014 1:25 AM

31

I am considering submitting a recipe with a seasonal ingredient, only grown in summer....are the recipes going to be tested by the judges? If so I will have to use a different one.

Elizabeth - The top recipes will be tested by the judging panel. However, we won't discourage you for submitting a recipe with seasonal ingredients.

  elizabeth brinton Jan 31, 2014 5:43 AM

32

I posted my entry but its published in the wrong format. How can i edit this? Please reply asap!

Your entry looks fine to me. What exactly looks wrong to you in the entry?

  thefoodconnection Feb 1, 2014 12:38 AM

33

A couple of questions: Do you want photos showing each step of the recipe or just the finished dish? Can you provide specifications for the entry application photos' size, resolution, captions. etc.? Will I need to provide my own wireless internet service modem (I have an Italian Vodafone modem) for posting the daily diary entries and photos? Thanks.

You don't need to provide a photo of each step (though you can), a couple shots of the finished product is just fine too. The photos you submit will automatically be resized, the biggest image possible is 960 pixels wide at 72dpi. As for the daily blog and photos on assignment, if there is no internet access on a particular day, you can finish the blog on returning home. We don't expect you to have you own modem for the trip.

  Bill Sansone Feb 1, 2014 8:16 AM

34

Hi,

Does it matter If the recipe has measurements in cups or desilitres?
Im planning to use my own recipe in the competition and in Finland we use dl:s.

Annina - Feel free to put measurements in whatever unit you like.

  Annina Feb 2, 2014 7:11 AM

35

:-) <~~~~~ THIS IS A HAPPY FACE !! THANK you, Grazie, Shukran, Arigato, Gracias, Kab kun kah...to you wonderful WorldNomadPeople... What an EXCITING opportunity, I sooo look forward to April 7th, and will hopefully be doing my own little happy dance here ;-) Namaste'

  corinneisabella Feb 5, 2014 7:46 AM

36

Hello!
I need your help! I applied for the Passport& Plate: ITALY 2014, filled in everything, but then occasionally added 10 photos. You wrote there: if you post more than 5 photos, we can't take the scholarship. I decided to delete all ten photos and then upload 5 instead. But I occasionally deleted the whole entry!!! And when i tried to apply one more time, it was written that i have already applied however my profile is empty :( what should I do?? Give me a piece of advice please!!!!!

You need to sign back into your journal and upload your photos into your existing scholarships photo gallery

  yevheniia Feb 5, 2014 9:04 AM

37

hello, I would like to join, but one question about recipes: does it have to be national, italian, or simply something I like to prepare? I'm also fluent in italian, as english.

It can be any recipe you like, it just needs to have a great story behind it.

  dijana Feb 6, 2014 1:51 AM

38

Hey, love the competition :) , are your dates final? or could they be delayed a little?

Yes, these dates are final.

  sundas Feb 8, 2014 6:39 AM

39

Hi, are chef/restaurateur's allowed to apply?

Cheers!

Yes, feel free to apply!

  Snooperdam Feb 9, 2014 11:48 PM

40

I am entering. Excellent opportunity.
Fun ;)

  Gayle Begley Feb 11, 2014 12:18 PM

41

Hi ! I am a very hungry man and want to eat everything that found in italy just like the man in Man vs. Wild and i would like to send my special recipe's photo but i want to know that do we have to make recipe while travelling ? because i only want to eat, eat and eat that made by other .

  Bishnu bhattarai Feb 13, 2014 2:29 AM

42

Hello, I'm hoping to study cultural anthropology this coming fall, and this opportunity is just crying out for me. However, I'm wondering about one of the restrictions. I miss the age cut-off date by just three days, as I turn 18 on March 17. Is there no way in hell, or should I still apply?

  Danielle Bourn Feb 14, 2014 6:55 PM

43

Hi! I just tried to apply, but my recipe is not appearing on the site. It's for Strawberry Pretzel Salad. Can you let me know if I did the application correctly and if it went through?

  jenhen1327 Feb 16, 2014 3:49 AM

44

Hi

This trip sounds like a once in a lifetime experience. I really want to apply, however I am free from the afternoon (GMT) of June 1st till after June 9th. Can I still apply?

  Charlie Feb 16, 2014 4:30 PM

45

Bishnu - Yes, you will be cooking on assignment, as well as eating.

Danielle - Sorry, you do need to be 18 by March 14.

Jenhen - We have your entry here: http://journals.worldnomads.com/jenhen1327/photos/45635/USA/Passport-and-Plate-Strawberry-Pretzel-Salad. You can sign back in and edit it if you like.

Charlie - The assignment will start on the morning of June 1st, so you will need to be there.

Cheers
Alicia

  scholarships Feb 17, 2014 10:45 AM

46

Disappointed you are not going to the birthplace of the pizza! Napoli and it's food are one of my favorites.

I lived in Italy for three years and can tell you that the food is fantastic, and it is difficult to find any restaurant outside of Italy which tastes as good.

  Karin Feb 18, 2014 9:08 PM

47

Hello! I am intending to create my profile and upload all materials at once (essay, recipe, photos), but am wondering if there are specifications for the photo requirement: format, resolution, total number to be submitted (minimum / maximum), file size, etc -?
I've read everything I can find on the public pages but this information doesn't seem to be available until after submitting the application (at which point I'd like to already have the photos prepared to upload so as to not leave a partial application stagnant for a series of days). Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Thank you for offering such a wonderful opportunity! :)

Hi Jessica - When you upload your photos, our system automatically resizes your images. The biggest image possible is 960 pixels wide at 72dpi. You can submit as many images as you like (the average is about 5 photos). - Alicia

  Jessica Feb 20, 2014 2:25 PM

48

Thank you! I had selected 23 to tell the story through photos and accompany the recipe (there are three separate elements to my recipe - pasta, polpette and ragu); if that will reflect negatively, please let me know.

  Jessica Feb 21, 2014 12:07 AM

49

i want to edit my story but cant see it anywhere.....im by username unseen moments...

  unseenmoments Feb 27, 2014 1:45 AM

50

Would this be open to Brits who live in Italy?

  Jill Pennington Feb 27, 2014 4:59 AM

51

unseenmoments - Your entry is here: http://journals.worldnomads.com/unseenmoments/photos/45734/India/Passport-and-Plate-Mushrooming-Tibetan-dish-in-India=

Jill -Yes, of course you can apply!

Alicia

  scholarships Feb 27, 2014 9:26 AM

52

Я пенсионерка, которая любит готовить и угощать. Жаль, я не говорю по английски...с удовольствием бы поучавствовала.

  Наталья Feb 28, 2014 2:27 AM

53

Help! I can't get the Java application to load on my pc. Any advice on how to get my photos uploaded?

It looks like you got the images uploaded.

  italianmamachef Feb 28, 2014 9:06 AM

54

I finally managed to upload the photos but they are out of order and the formatting for my entry is very messed up. Can this be fixed? Thank you very much for the chance to enter a wonderful contest.

  italianmamachef Feb 28, 2014 10:10 AM

55

Hi Everyone,

A few people have been noticing strange HTML within the text of their final entries. If this happens to your entry, we will fix it for you - no need to worry or send individual messages.

Cheers
Alicia

  scholarships Feb 28, 2014 2:09 PM

56

So, I've been trying to apply several times but since the first one I got a message that says I have applied already, and that I can edit my entry "here"; so I clicked on the link and it took me to some old entry I did for a past scholarship call. I deleted it, tried again, yet the same. Does this mean that because I applied to a past scholarship call I cannot apply for this one? That would be very, very dissapointing.

  mariad-osa Feb 28, 2014 3:36 PM

57

Hi mariad-osa,

Yes, of course you can apply for this scholarship! It sounds like you have filled in the application form and want to go back in and edit. When you sign back into your Journal, you should have a photo gallery marked 'Passport & Plate - Italy'. This is where you can edit your text and photos. If you have any further problems, email me at scholarships@worldnomads.com.

Alicia

  scholarships Feb 28, 2014 4:40 PM

58

Hi Alicia,

I am also having trouble figuring out where to edit my entry, specifically the text.

I can see where to edit the photos and their captions, but not the actual body of text with the story, etc. Are you able to provide instructions?

Am I also correct in thinking that entries come up in "My Photo Galleries" and are not trip journals ("My Trip Journals") as such?

Thanks,

Sofia

Hi Sofia, the story is actually attached to the photo gallery so if you open that back up you can edit the text as well. Alicia

  writing_the_world Mar 3, 2014 8:09 AM

59

In the end, can vegetarians submit their entries? :)

Petra - See comment #1.

  Petra Mar 3, 2014 10:04 PM

60

Hi Guys... looks like I've gone wrong somewhere.

I entered all the boxes separately, but my Journal now has one great big block of text which includes all this kind of thing... "
"

I had issues with uploading images... has this thrown everything out of kilter??

Sorry to cause problems!

Ben

Ben - Your photos look fine. As for the text, see comment #55.

  shootingben Mar 3, 2014 10:55 PM

61

Hi everybody! Just suggesting a correction to the article: Piedmont is a region in the North West, not in the North East :)
Besides that, a very nice post indeed. Good luck to all the applicants!

Namaste.

Andrea - So right, thanks for the catch! We've amended it.

  Andrea Mar 4, 2014 10:40 PM

62

Hello. I just uploaded my entry, and when I finished a page appeared for editing page details. I edited the description for the journal, not realizing that it might be either my story that I edited or the reason for entry… then again it might just be that it was meant to be a simple description. Currently in the description box I have the story behind the recipe. IS this the correct thing to have here? (I don't see the recipe, instructions, or reason for entering anywhere in the journal, so I'm not sure if anything is missing.) Did I put anything in the wrong spot? Thanks

kayakphotographer - Your entry looks fine: http://journals.worldnomads.com/kayakphotographer/photos/45834/Germany/Passport-and-Plate-German-comfort-food-from-my-grandmothers-kitchen

  kayakphotographer Mar 6, 2014 11:15 AM

63

Thank you so much. Wow. I am having so much fun reading through the recipes that have been entered so far. Such an international collection. Some of them look absolutely fantastic. I'm feeling inspired and can't wait to try cooking them.

Any plans to make the first annual Nomad's Cookbook? It looks like there'd be no shortage of great recipes.

Thanks for such a fun contest.

  kayakphotographer Mar 6, 2014 4:25 PM

64

Wondering if the images can also be of the place the recipe comes from- it goes with my story? They are all my own images. Or just images of the cooked dish? I don't want to do the wrong thing. Thanks

  Corrina Mar 7, 2014 2:16 PM

65

Just to clarify on my question I would have shots of the finished dish and a couple of the area the dish comes from that link to my story about the dish. Thanks- I am almost ready to submit the application so if you could answer asap would be great. Thanks

Corrina - As long as you have some photos of the dish as well, that is fine. - Alicia

  Corrina Tough Mar 7, 2014 2:20 PM

66

Hello, I have just applied to this competition and followed all the steps and the form my entry "Lentejas con chorizo" is looking weird and all the HTML tags are showing. the text is all in one block. I didm´t have the required photo uploader and used the other one you provide. Could you fix this? Do I have to apply again? thanks.

  redheaded_spaniard Mar 7, 2014 10:02 PM

67

Hello, this is an amaizing experience that you scholarship. Is it possible to send a recipe of a beverage? Thank you

  Rocío Luna Vital Mar 8, 2014 7:18 AM

68

Hello, another question relating to the essays. I am writing them up on microsoft word and I assume then I would need to copy them to the box on the application form? Also with the word count you have said including spaces- in microsoft word it gives you the word count but I am not sure if that includes spaces. At the moment I am a bit under in both essays, but I am worried about going over if my word count doesn't include spaces. Thanks you

  Corrina Tough Mar 8, 2014 12:59 PM

69

Hi there,
I wanted to know that I do not eat meat for religious reasons.though Would it still be ok for me to apply.I have a great story to tell and a very strong essay as to why i should be chosen.Also my recipe is very easy and simple nothing extra ordinary.what makes it special is the story behind it.is that ok?

  Hira Bawahab Mar 10, 2014 6:17 AM

70

redheaded_spaniard - See comment #55.

Rocio - Yes, of course!

Corrina - There are many websites that will do character counts for you. It might be best to check on one of them before you submit your application.

Hira - See comment #1.

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships Mar 10, 2014 9:28 AM

71

I'm stoked about this opportunity! I just applied, but my internet cut out in the middle of the application. When I checked on it, it looked like everything was there, but my recipe, story, and about my sections were all squished into the "description" section of my gallery, and the formatting made it wonky. Can you possibly confirm that it is entered and LEGIBLE, or do I need to re-write the written entries in the gallery?

Gracias!

leelavera - It looks just fine: http://journals.worldnomads.com/leelavera/photos/45893/Mexico/Passport-and-Plate-Salsa-Mole-Negro-Tradicional - Alicia

  leelavera Mar 10, 2014 11:58 AM

72

Hi Nomads Team,

Just had a quick query....

I am in the process of applying for a new passport now as my previous one was stolen. If I have a current passport by the time the assignment begins, is this sufficient? - or does it preclude me from applying at all if I don't have it already in my possession. I had my previous passport stolen so I am in the process now of applying to have it replaced - wanted to be sure prior to applying that this would be OK.

Cheers,
Amber

  Amber Mar 10, 2014 5:45 PM

73

Hi there,

I have two questions.

1. Under "To apply you need to:" section, there's no character limit to the recipe. But in the submission area, the recipe and list of ingredient is limited to 2000 characters. I think good recipe is about attention to
2. Can I email a PDF file along with the PDF? There's specific place I want to put photos on as a part of the story. Basically, there is a way I want this to 'ready'. The content will be exactly as what I will submit.

Cheers,
Momo

  Momo Mar 10, 2014 11:00 PM

74

Another question, will there be any interview as part of the process?

  Momo Mar 10, 2014 11:23 PM

75

Hello!

I have read about this competition! IT IS AMAZING!
I just wanted to ask: so my favorite recipes are Pasta all'Amatriciana and Capeletti. I know they are Italian recipes, but I have been experiencing Italy quite a lot lately as my fiance is Italian and somehow I manage to do these recipes in a way that make Italians go crazy for them. I am very proud of the way I do it and I would like to use one of them for my entry. Can I? There are also pretty nice stories behind them!

  Mihaela Pavel Mar 11, 2014 12:22 AM

76

Hi there,

I wanted to put which category I am applying for but it seems that my text is lost as well as the heading. Any way that I can fulfill this?

  tulip80 Mar 11, 2014 12:28 AM

77

Hello, I have finished my application now. Everything seems to have worked without a hitch- but I can't see my essay about why I should be chosen. The Recipe, images and story about the recipe seem to look fine. Just wanted to check that you got it your end? I need to check as I am away from my computer when the cut off day is and will need to make sure it is done in the next day. Kind regards, Corrina.

  corrinatough1 Mar 11, 2014 12:33 AM

78

I applied but Im not confident whether photo is sent. WorlNomands Journal page is opening for 3 minutes. I have good internet speed, but the speed on this web site is sloooow.

Can I edit my application's photo?

  edda Mar 11, 2014 3:38 AM

79

Aloha World Nomads!

For the second essay with the 1500 max character count would spaces still count??

Thank you!

  devi Mar 11, 2014 7:38 AM

80

Hi also another question, I noticed my recipe story seems to be one large block of text instead of having gaps between the paragraphs? This is not how I wrote it and I copy and pasted it exactly. I hope this is ok? Reading other peoples stories I noticed they have gaps between paragrahs. Thanks Corrina

  corrinatough1 Mar 11, 2014 9:51 AM

81

Amber - If you are in the process of applying for a new passport and will have it soon, that's fine. You are still welcome to apply.

Momo - The recipe character limit is 2000 characters. Nothing except your entry, and what you include with, it will be judged - we cannot independently judge PDFs too. The top entries may be interviewed before final decisions are made.

tulip - I can see the title of your recipe. Email me at scholarships@worldnomads.com if you have any other questions about your entry.

Mihaela - Of course you can submit an Italian recipe.

Corrina - The personal essays are hidden from public view - they will be used for judging only.

edda - It looks like you were successful in uploading your photos.

devi - Yes, characters are counted in all sections of your application.

Corrina - Your entry looks fine to me.

Alicia

  scholarships Mar 11, 2014 10:05 AM

82

Hello.

I've made an entry for this travel scholarship, but not sure if it was correct. My application name is leysan_z. I had problems with filling in 'how to prepare' and ' story behind recipe'. Could You please check if my entry go well?

Thank you!

it's fine

  Leysan_z Mar 11, 2014 5:49 PM

83

Hiya,

My country of residence is Australia but I am currently living in Canada and will be here on the date required to leave. Would that be an issue?

Thanking you in advance.

Kate - Not a problem! - Alicia

  Kate Mar 12, 2014 11:50 AM

84

Hello, my entry isn't showing up on the entries page. It appears on my 'journal' page but not the page which lists all the entries. I applied 2 days a go.
Thanks Corrina

it's fine. currently on page 3

  corrinatough1 Mar 12, 2014 1:07 PM

85

Hi! I wonder, do we need a passport if we are from EU member states? Theoretically, a national ID should do it. Thanks.

  Larisa Mar 13, 2014 1:15 AM

86

Hi! All the good days! I have a question! I'm from Russia would like to participate in this competition, but the validity of my passport has expired, now applied for a passport renewal and will be ready April. Since this will not be no problems?

  Taisiya Mar 13, 2014 2:33 AM

87

Hi, I applied and was able to see my journal with my recipe and the story behind my recipe along with the photos. However, I wasn't able to find my 1500-word essay. I assume it just doesn't get published on the site, but I wanted to be sure.

I tried to edit my application to see if it showed up there, but it doesn't show up as a "story," so I'm not sure what happened.

Thanks.
Greg

You can see it in your journal

  gmburns2000 Mar 13, 2014 4:54 AM

88

Is there any other way to get into the program besides the scholarship? Can I pay for my room & board myself and take part in the program? Thanks

  Alina Mar 13, 2014 5:14 AM

89

Hi,
I have tried to upload my entry for the scholarship but had some trouble with my internet connection during the process and nothing has appeared on the website. I have tried to re-submit the entry but keep getting the message that I have already done this and am only able to submit one entry. Is there some way to rectify this situation? Your help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Your entry is there, but you still need to upload your photos. Log into your journal & add photos to the passport and plate gallery.

  moresbbb Mar 13, 2014 9:15 AM

90

I'm assuming that recipe and story behind recipe, together, must be 2000 characters or less (including spaces)?

  GC Mar 13, 2014 9:42 AM

91

Larisa - As long as you can legally visit Italy for the assignment dates, that should be fine.

Taisiya - That should be fine.

Alina - No, unfortunately, you cannot pay your way onto this trip.

GC - Click the apply now button, and you will see exact character counts (including spaces) for each section of the application.

  scholarships Mar 13, 2014 11:11 AM

92

Hello-
I believe I completed my application, but I can't see it. Please let me know if you have it...or I will try again.

Thanks!

Yes, we have it!

  candybean Mar 13, 2014 11:29 AM

93

Thanks Alicia! Appreciate your help. Think it is time I look for a new internet provider ;)

  moresbbb Mar 13, 2014 11:46 AM

94

Hi, sorry, I know you said it's in my journal, but it's not there. The recipe is there and the 2000-word story behind the recipe is there, but the 1500-word text on where I'd like to go and who I'd like to be isn't there. I added it to the stories section just in case. I'm only talking about the 1500 word essay. Sorry, just making sure. I can't see it anywhere in my journal, except for where I added it as a story just now to be sure. Thanks...Greg

Greg - The personal essay are not made public. - Alicia

  gmburns2000 Mar 13, 2014 3:31 PM

95

Hey Guys! I just submitted... is there any email or anything you guys will send to ensure our entry was received?

asarazen29 - Yes, you should receive a confirmation email. - Alicia

  asarazen29 Mar 13, 2014 5:04 PM

96

Ps. Good luck to everyone... April 7th cannot come soon enough! Someone has to win, so why not me... or you, or you! : )

  asarazen29 Mar 13, 2014 5:11 PM

97

Hello! Could you please clarify one point? I shot some photos of my dish, but there is no photo with me. Should I do another one with me and my dish?

Not required

  yekaterina Mar 13, 2014 10:13 PM

98

Will the rest of the entries in our Nomads journal be noticed by judges as well? Or is it just our passport & plate entry (i already have a couple posts up from previous travels)? Also, will finalists be notified or only winners? Sitting on the edge of my seat, here... there are so many incredible entries! Mine is made up by me, not taught by a specific place but rather by many. Will this hurt my chances?

Only the official entries are seen by the judges - they can't see the rest of your journal

  Alli Mar 14, 2014 2:26 AM

99

I cannot find my entry. The site said that I successfully applied for the scholarship but my journal is empty. Is it being process?

Your entry is there & correct

  thesa Mar 14, 2014 4:55 AM

100

Hi Everyone,

Please note the applications close today at 2pm AUSTRALIAN EASTERN STANDARD TIME. This may not be your personal time zone, so don't leave your application to the last minute and miss this awesome opportunity. From right now, that means applications close in 4 and a half hours. Good luck to all!

Alicia

  scholarships Mar 14, 2014 9:23 AM

101

Hi!
How can I edit my recipe? I see my recipe on the website but in My journal page there are 0 stories.
Thank you!

oknerazan - Your entry is here: http://journals.worldnomads.com/oknerazan/photos/46347/Netherlands/Passport-and-Plate-Fish-fillet-with-avocados-and-dried-tomato-sauce. Just sign back into your Journals and edit the photo gallery called 'Passport & Plate'.

Alicia

  oknerazan Mar 14, 2014 10:56 AM

102

Thanks so much Alicia :)

  MelissaLE Mar 14, 2014 12:00 PM

103

So so so excited! Butterflies in my flying up to my throat! Good luck everyone!

  Kate Mar 14, 2014 12:41 PM

104

I submitted my application on the verge of the deadline. Although I can see my entry and the accompanying pictures, to my dismay the Country where I reside is shown instead of the Country where the recipe is from. Although clear descriptions were given throughout the assays and images, I hope that this does not affect my application at the time of evaluation by the judges. Being 14:07 AST, makes me afraid to go back to my entry and make this modification, as I may be disqualified for late editing of my entry. I do appreciate your understanding.

its fine

  mikeru79 Mar 14, 2014 2:03 PM

105

Hi, I went to upload my scholarship application this morning and the journal has saved my images but deleted all of my content. My story has a headline, but no body copy. I am really disappointed. Is there any chance of resubmitting or even sending my application via email?

fixed

  Tayla Mar 14, 2014 2:05 PM

106

Hi I cheked my application and not all of the photos were uploaded. Is it still possible to add? Unfortunately editing might affect my application.

  pacifichild Mar 14, 2014 3:37 PM

107

pacifichild - Yes, if you do so now. - Alicia

  scholarships Mar 14, 2014 3:57 PM

108

Hi, I submitted my entry and pictures yesterday, and though I can see it in my account journal, I can't find it under "Stories", where all the other entries are listed. I just wanted to make sure my entry was received? Thank you.

Yes, we have it.

  palateartist Mar 14, 2014 4:39 PM

109

I'm torturing myself reading through all these amazing entries. I can't imagine what the judges must be going through! (Well, a lot of delicious food I imagine...)

#4MOREDAYS! :-P

  elysiacb Apr 4, 2014 5:05 AM

110

Where are the winners announced?
Thanks

  corrinatough1 Apr 6, 2014 8:53 AM

111

Have the winners been announced?

  Anisha Apr 7, 2014 3:05 PM

112

We have just announced the 3 winners here:

http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/story/112285/Italy/Passport-and-Plate-ITALY-The-Winners

Thank you to everyone who applied - you have truly kept us hungry and entertained reading all of your entries over the last 3 weeks!

Alicia

  scholarships Apr 7, 2014 3:08 PM

113

Hi. I'm Natalia from Ukraine.
I knew about this opportunity only now.
I speak English and Italian.I love Italy.
When would be the next opportunity?

  Natalia Apr 9, 2014 6:36 PM

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.