Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

Revisiting Arnhem Land: A Tribute to Yothu Yindi

WORLDWIDE | Wednesday, 15 May 2013 | Views [5038] | Comments [1]

In 2011, our Travel Documentary Scholarship winner went on assignment to Arnhem Land in the far north of Australia. This is the traditional land of the Yolngu people, one of whom died over the weekend.

Yunupingu was the lead singer of Yothu Yindi, Australia's most important indigenous rock band, he was the first aboriginal person from East Arnhem Land to gain a university degree, a school principal, a tribal elder and a former Australian of the year.

This is our tribute to him and the Yolngu people, which was shot by our Head of Content, Phil Sylvester. Phil says one of the great moments of that trip was being in a vehicle with a local Aboriginal elder when the Yothu Yindi song "Treaty Now" was played - it was a special moment to hear it sung in its local language. Watch it unfold in our video.

Travel. Learn. Create.

For all of you aspiring creatives, check out our Scholarships page and sign up to hear about our latest opportunities, tips, advice and interviews with industry professionals in the fields of photography, travel writing and filmmaking.

And if you're lucky enough to be mentored by one of our industry professionals, it could kick start your career!

About WorldNomads.com

WorldNomads.com keeps you travelling safely.  Whether you’re off for a long weekend, looking for the ultimate adventure or living the nomadic dream, you’ll stay safe with Travel Insurance you can buy online, anytime, and the latest travel safety advice. Learn how to flirt in over 25 languages with our free language guides and have an experience of a lifetime on a travel scholarship. We'll also help you share your journey with a free travel blog, get answers from other nomads to all of your travel questions (try the new 'Ask A Nomad' iPad app) and donate to a local community development project through our Footprints program.  

WorldNomads.com - an essential part of every adventurous traveller's journey.

 

Comments

1

This brings back memories from when I visited Nhulunbuy. I remember that the crab we ate there was the tastiest crab I have ever had in my life! Great video. Yothu Yindi you will rock our world forever!

  tracie Jun 24, 2013 5:11 PM

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.