Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

Travel Photography Scholarship 2013 - Greenland

GREENLAND | Friday, 17 May 2013 | Views [300470] | Comments [161]


World Nomads National Geographic Channel

Applications are now closed - best of luck to everyone that applied!

Ever wondered what it would be like on assignment as a National Geographic photographer?

This is your chance to go to Greenland and be mentored by Nat Geo veteran and host of National Geographic Channel's Pure Photography series, Jason Edwards!

 

Photo courtesy of Mads Pihl – Destination Arctic Circle

Applications close July 5th 2013, at 2pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (UTC +10)

Here it is, aspiring photographers....
 
WorldNomads.com and National Geographic Channel are giving one aspiring photographer the opportunity to accompany renowned wildlife and natural history photographer, Jason Edwards, on assignment in Greenland. Find out firsthand what life is like in the field for a travel photographer and learn the tricks of the trade during this 10-day mentorship experience.

About the Assignment

Rough. Real. Remote. Greenland has been beckoning intrepid spirits for thousands of years and for many feels like a place you've known, but never been. It is the land of adventure that celebrates raw nature and deep cultural traditions.

Explore this stunning country with an 10-day custom itinerary with Visit Greenland and Destination Arctic Circle. Begin your assignment in the Kangerlussuaq community before flying along the rugged edge of the nearby ice cap to the Russell Glacier. You’ll spend the next two days and nights exploring the majestic Russell Glacier - hiking, and shooting along the various ridges. Next, you’ll set up camp near a lake in the rolling hills of the highlands in search of musk oxen and arctic hare (and maybe even a shy reindeer!)

For a change of scenery, you’ll fly to Maniitsoq with Air Greenland where you’ll take a charter boat to Kangaamiut. The boat will pass scenic fiordscapes with high peaks, narrow passages, archipelagos, and remnants of abandoned settlements along the way – all culminating in an excursion to the famed Eternity Fjord the next day. A visit to the community of Kangaamiut will give you a sense of the rhythm of the country and how communities are intrinsically connected to their environment.

Check out the full itinerary here.

Here’s the deal:

*You must be available to be in Greenland between August 26-September 6, 2013.

*On the trip you will work alongside Jason Edwards photographing the people, wildlife and landscapes of Greenland at various times of the day and night.

*You will gain invaluable mentoring and hands-on experience in everything from shot set up, technique and composition through to insights into his many years of diverse experience as an award-winning photographer.

*Your assignment will involve observing and assisting Jason as well as undertaking your own photographic work. This will involve long days, early mornings and late nights working!

*Most of all, you'll be experiencing what it's like to be a photographer on-assignment with National Geographic!

Photo courtesy of Mads Pihl – Destination Arctic Circle

Your Brief

*You will work through a specific shot list of 30 photos that will be commissioned by the scholarship partners as part of your assignment.

*You will keep a daily diary about your time on the trip and upload this to a WorldNomads.com travel journal (minimum 200 words per day), including pictures you've taken.

*On your return you will work with Jason Edwards through the editorial process to shortlist your top photographs and colour balance to achieve professional looking shots for submission to National Geographic Channel for publication.

A selection of your best photos will be published on National Geographic Channel where they will be viewed by thousands of travellers worldwide, offering you a once-in-a-lifetime chance to get your foot in the door of one of the most revered exploration organisations in the world!

The Prizes

The Winner will receive:

*A 10-day bespoke trip to Greenland with Visit Greenland and Destination Arctic Circle.

*Round-trip airfare from your country of residence to Copenhagen, then from Copenhagen to Nuuk thanks to Air Greenland where you will meet your mentor and small film crew.

*Up to $1000 worth of gear to keep you warm in the Arctic.

*Travel insurance for the duration of the trip from World Nomads.

 

Photo courtesy of Visit Greenland

Who can apply

* This opportunity is open to any non-professional trying to start a career in Travel Photography - photography students or keen amateurs/pro-amateurs looking for a foot in the door.

* Minimum age 18 by the application deadline with a good level of physical fitness.

* This is a global opportunity - you may be a resident of any country.

* You should be an exceptional photographer with a lust for adventure, have a strong desire to be mentored and grow your photographic knowledge and skills, an ambition to forge a career in Travel Photography, and of course a desire to travel to Greenland.

* Remember this is a scholarship, a learning experience, and therefore will not be suitable for professional or semi-professional photographers.

Am I eligible? What makes a non-professional?

We appreciate that the photography industry is difficult to break into and there are a lucky few who can count themselves as professional full time photographers.

This scholarship is very much about the mentorship opportunity, and the judging panel will be selecting the person who they feel will most benefit from the learning opportunity. So, if you currently make more than 25% of your income from photography activities, you are not eligible.

You will be asked to outline your experience to date in the submission process, and it will be the judging panel who decides who is most suitable based on their photos and written component.

Find out more about eligibility on our FAQ page.

Photo courtesy of Mads Pihl – Destination Arctic Circle

Important Dates

**You need to be available between August 26 - September 6, 2013 to participate on the assignment.**

Applications Accepted: May 17 - July 5, 2013

Judging Period: July 5 - July 25

Winner Announced: July 26

Assignment: August 26 - September 6, 2013

Apply now!

Please look carefully at the 4 steps required to complete your application.
If your photos (with captions and essay) are not ready, we suggest you come back later to complete this entry.

1. Shoot a series of photos (maximum of 5)

They must tell a story about a place you have visited. 'Place' may be anywhere; somewhere in your own community or much further away. The judges will be looking for:

* originality
* ability to convey a story through photos
* excellent technique

Each of the 5 shots must have accompanying caption text to help contextualize the shot.

Please see our FAQ page about the theme, making digital adjustments and Jason's judging criteria before you submit your application..

2. Add your photos to WorldNomads.com.

Firstly create a journal, which is where your photos will be hosted, and fill in the entry form. Upload your photos either as a Flickr set (they need to be the only 5 photos in the particular Flickr set) or directly in the journal. This year we have a new functionality in Journals that allows you to view your photos in a much larger format, similar to Flickr. (If you are already a member or have a journal, please sign-in.)

*Please don't remove the tags and title of the gallery we have set up for you - this is how we find you*

3. Tell us in 1200 characters or less about yourself and why you should be chosen.

Your written response will have significant weighting in the judging process, so think carefully about why you should be chosen.  Tell us about yourself, your passions, why you love photography, what drives you to take a better shot, where you would like to go with your photography etc. Help us form a picture in our mind of you as a person with your text.

Remember this is a once in a lifetime learning opportunity, not a junket for professional photographers.

4. Finally the legal bit.

You know the Terms and Conditions of entry.

One entry per person

*Note: Should your entry reach the final round of judging you will be asked to supply the RAW file of each photo for comparison with your submission (these may also be published online).

Applications close: 2pm July 5, 2013 (Australian Eastern Standard Time)

Please Note: Last year we almost had a server meltdown because applicants left it to the last minute to submit. Don't miss out! Apply well before the closing date to ensure your application is successful!

The recipient of the Scholarship, along with the best entries, will be published on WorldNomads.com on July 26, 2013.

Photo courtesy of Mads Pihl – Destination Arctic Circle

Check out our finalists and shortlists from 2011 and 2012 along with judge's comments.

See past travel photography scholarship winner Walid Rashid's photos (2011) and Dat Vu's photos (2010) on the Nat Geo Channel website, and Anna Zhu's (2009) exhibition with Jason Edwards in Sydney.

Any Questions?

Take a look at our FAQs page which provides more details on the task, technical guidelines, judging criteria, eligibility and more. Please read this page before posting your question in the comments sections below - chances are, we've already answered your question there!

Posters

DOWNLOAD A SCHOLARSHIP POSTER TO PUT UP AT YOUR COLLEGE

A4 SIZE

A3 SIZE

US LETTER SIZE

About Jason Edwards

With an image portfolio ranking among the largest of any photographer in the National Geographic Society's long history, Melbourne-based photo journalist Jason Edwards is the face of Pure Photography on National Geographic Channel. This series of natural history vignettes accompanies him on assignment as he chronicles the world's natural wonders through a lens. Follow Jason and his amazing adventures of life in the field as a National Geographic Photographer here. And you might even get some photography tips!

Travel. Learn. Create.

For all of you aspiring creatives, check out our Scholarships page and sign up to hear about our latest opportunities, tips, advice and interviews with industry professionals in the fields of photography, travel writing and filmmaking.

And if you're lucky enough to be mentored by one of our industry professionals, it could kick start your career!

About WorldNomads.com

WorldNomads.com keeps you travelling safely.  Whether you’re off for a long weekend, looking for the ultimate adventure or living the nomadic dream, you’ll stay safe with Travel Insurance you can buy online, anytime, and the latest travel safety advice. Learn how to flirt in over 25 languages with our free language guides and have an experience of a lifetime on a travel scholarship. We'll also help you share your journey with a free travel blog, get answers from other nomads to all of your travel questions (try the new 'Ask A Nomad' iPad app) and donate to a local community development project through our Footprints program.  

WorldNomads.com - an essential part of every adventurous traveller's journey.

 

Comments

1

Here we go again!! 3rd times the charm.

  Dudemeister May 17, 2013 1:52 PM

2

No photography gear for the winner this time. With those endless summer days at those latitudes plenty of work is to come. Too sad that Canon is not sponsoring this amazing adventure.

  mike May 17, 2013 3:25 PM

3

Is there a requirement in terms of cameras to use, etc.?

  JP May 17, 2013 9:58 PM

4

Is it permissible to mention one's website on the 1200 word essay?

  Raul May 17, 2013 10:15 PM

5

Other than what is written above, do we supply for our own winter clothes?

  Krissy May 17, 2013 11:10 PM

6

is it ok if we submit old photos? like from 2009 up to present?

  paparazzi24 May 18, 2013 2:20 AM

7

flot side og flotte billeder
men noget der falder mig i øjenene er billedet af moskusoksen
helt personligt syntes jeg at man burdte rette billedet det op
så vandret er vandret
prøv at kikke på kystlignen i billedet
i virkeligheden kikker den nok ikke op men ned

  kim lundqvist May 18, 2013 7:00 AM

8

to osiedle krasnali

  ZYGA May 20, 2013 12:59 AM

9

JP - You can use whatever camera you like.

Raul - You can submit your website link in the application form, you do not need to include it in the essay as well.

Krissy - At the moment, yes you need to supply your own clothes.

paparazzi24 - You can submit photos taken in previous years. ]

Cheers
Alicia

  scholarships May 20, 2013 10:58 AM

10

Dear Alicia & Jason,

What kind of stuffs that you will provide for the winner during the 10 days ?

Is there any photography gear that the winner can bring home ?

Thanks

  Dom Angel May 22, 2013 5:55 PM

11

Can your entrance be based on an event? As opposed to a place.

  Connor Hammond May 22, 2013 11:46 PM

12

Since no gears will be awarded, does it mean the winner should bring his/her own gears on the assignment?

  Pitra Moeis May 23, 2013 12:34 AM

13

Dom & Pitra - You will need to bring your own camera gear on the trip (and Jason may let you borrow some of his).

Connor - Yes, the entry can be based on an event (which is, naturally, in a place).

Alicia

  scholarships May 23, 2013 9:53 AM

14

Will the cost of food, lodgings and visa be covered?

Mita - Yes, those costs will be covered. - Alicia

  Mita May 23, 2013 2:55 PM

15

I had some trouble while uploading my entry.How do we know the entry has been successfully uploaded?

  samwise May 24, 2013 4:44 AM

16

Hi samwise (and everyone) - You can see all submitted entries here: http://scholarships.worldnomads.com - in the bottom left hand corner of the page. Samwise, you can see your successful entry in that list. - Alicia

  scholarships May 24, 2013 9:12 AM

17

The terms state that a RAW file will be necessary if the applicant reaches the final stages. What is a RAW file? My camera has been stolen since taking the photos so is it possible to still have a RAW file?

  claire May 25, 2013 5:28 AM

18

I believe my camera doesn't save RAW files. It's only semi-professional. Should I try using a different one for this task just in case?

  Dyan May 25, 2013 6:13 AM

19

I took photos when I visited Tanzania that I would love to enter. However I was a fool at the time of editing them and did not preserve the original files. Does this mean my photos are ineligible for entering, even if they have only been mildly edited, (I have only modified colour curves) and it can be clearly seen that this is the case?

  Yaseera May 25, 2013 8:03 PM

20

4. Raul, there is limited space is the essay so don't waste your characters on a website address as you're only judged on your entry not what's on your website.

11. Conner, yes an event is fine but remember the sense of 'place' must be evident and not just the event itself.

17. Claire, the RAW file is a type of file format most cameras capture, it's basically the unprocessed file. If you google RAW file types you will get a list of the names for each camera brand and you might see yours there. Some people shoot jpeg which although it's not preferred we accept that this happens. In those cases we require the jpeg file from the camera before it was processed or treated.

18. Dyan, please see my response to Claire above. You don't need to go and buy another camera however if you are shooting jpegs make sure they are at the highest resolution possible and that you keep the original files you captured separate to what you might submit if you treat them on the computer.

19. If the files have basically nothing done to them and we feel that is the case you should be fine to enter. We require RAWs and unprocessed files because this competition is not about who has the best Photoshop skills.

  Jason May 27, 2013 9:58 AM

21

Hi Guys,

Sorry forgot the intro on the last post, it was from me Jason, ie Judge Jason!

Best J

  Jason May 27, 2013 10:00 AM

22

Been told I have a photographers eye by friends in publishing and artists. I had a few poems published in college. I snap what moves me and never think to be in the photo. However, I am in process of learning the technology of my smartphone, laptop and new camera. An artist friend sent this to me stating "This is you". Your response to another message that you are not interested in "photoshop" inspired me. I travel often and have photos from Africa (safari, day orphanage in Swaziland, scenery) as well as children, elderly, bikers urinating and blocking traffic.....in a positive way. Do you just want my caption with the photo or five photos with captions that are connected to each other? Also, I just retired. No longer young but not old. Is that an issue? Not a travel question but a "should I still apply" question. Thanks.

  Anne Dilorenzo May 28, 2013 1:52 PM

23

Hi Anne - This scholarship is open to anyone of any age. As for the photos, you need to submit up to 5 photos that tell a story about a place you have visited, each with a caption. - Alicia

  scholarships May 28, 2013 2:33 PM

24

Any specific lenses that would be required to be carried. Also any specifications in camera required. I hold with me Sony A900, with three lenses. 75-300 telephoto, 28-70 Wide Les and 100 mm Macro. Would this suffice.??

  Pawan Menon May 28, 2013 7:30 PM

25

hi i want come there...:)

  Daniel May 29, 2013 2:02 AM

26

I don't have a passport, will it be covered?

  Marco May 30, 2013 2:49 AM

27

Hi Guys,

24. Pawan, bring whatever gear you own and we would make do with whatever you have.

25. Daniel, get your entry happening!

26. Marco, you would need to obtain a passport prior to travelling we cannot arrange this for you.

Best

Jason

  Jason May 30, 2013 8:06 AM

28

Hi Again,

I've posted a blog on Jake's experience in Oman.

Cheers

Jason

http://jasonedwardsphotography.com/blog/oman-photography-and-the-joys-of-working-with-national-geographic-photographer-jason-edwards/

  Jason May 30, 2013 8:09 AM

29

Oh...it's so hard to choose only 5 pictures! :))))))))))))

  Catarina Rola May 31, 2013 10:12 PM

30

Я тоже хочу поехать!

  Vadim Jun 1, 2013 1:52 AM

31

eu vreu sa mi fac fotografii pe fotosop

  galina Jun 1, 2013 2:11 AM

32

Hi Guys,

30. Vadim, Get your entry in and good luck!

31. Galina, Only a little bit of Photoshop !

Best

Jason

  Jason Jun 1, 2013 9:27 AM

33

Hi! Can I use photos that I have already submitted in other contest this year?

Chanwanat - Yes, you can. - Alicia

  Chawanat Jun 1, 2013 9:04 PM

34

Hi,
I just save the picture that i edit a little bit of lightroom, the orginal picture i deleted because of full HDD @@
All of the picture i took, just edit a little bit of lightroom. However, i still keep some orginal picture of the most recent picture. So can i apply this scholarship ?
Thank you very much!

Luu, Are you saying the image is a HDR image? Or is the image a single frame and that you have lost the RAW?

Cheers

Jason

  Luu Duc Dong Jun 2, 2013 1:27 PM

35

hello! I do not speak English. must be sent in English or in Spanish can be?

Arturo - Your entry must be in English. - Alicia

  Arturo Duran Jun 3, 2013 12:40 PM

36

Hi Jason!

I just save the picture as JPG type. And i mean that i didnt save the orginal picture so how can i send this picture to you :( I just edit a little by photoshop. Can i apply ? ( because i'm afraid that i cant send the orginal picture to you.

Thank you.

  Luu Duc Dong Jun 5, 2013 11:57 AM

37

Hi Everyone,

For the shortlisted entries, we will be asking for your RAW files to compare with your submitted files. The top placed entries will also have these files published. A RAW file is untouched. If you did not originally save your images as RAW files, or no longer have them, an untouched JPEG file would suffice - but only if it was not processed.

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships Jun 6, 2013 9:18 AM

38

I have upload photos into my journal, however I can't find my name on the list of contestant, do I have to go to screening process first to let the image appear, or do I miss something here, please advise and thanks

Nis Daniel

  nisdaniel Jun 6, 2013 1:27 PM

39

I am from Pakistan and have been pursuing photography as a hobby for quite some time now. I have been seeking guidance from the top available photographers in the country, however this seems like a dream come true opportunity. I am looking for a professional degree in photography and would like to know if in case, one doesn't get selected for this venture, will Jason be able to guide me as to where I lack and what are the areas of improvement?

  Ibrahim Jun 7, 2013 2:28 AM

40

Hi, This sounds FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!

  Melissa Holoboff Jun 7, 2013 4:51 AM

41

Nis - Please drop me an email at scholarships@worldnomads.com.

Ibrahim - Unfortunately, Jason cannot provide advice and guidance for each individual applicant, as there are thousands of people who would be asking for his time.

Melissa - Thanks!

Alicia

  scholarships Jun 7, 2013 10:20 AM

42

I have submitted 5 photos from a place before. Is it possible to submit a different set from the same place, or would it take away the anonymity of my photographs?

  inca Jun 7, 2013 8:17 PM

43

may i know about the fee structure if selected..??

  GAURAV VERMA Jun 8, 2013 3:33 PM

44

IMi placeii..:)

  anca Jun 9, 2013 10:06 PM

45

I've got some shots, but the originals are all in JPEG. Is there a problem submitting them without having them in RAW?

Thanks ;)

  Felyppe Retzler Jun 10, 2013 12:46 PM

46

ive sent my photos but apparently it doesnt come up in the entries. i had a trouble submitting my photos before and i think that could be the problem. what should i do?

  wisnumt Jun 10, 2013 7:24 PM

47

Is this open only to All Countries or only Australian citizens?

  Jahz Jun 10, 2013 9:33 PM

48

Hi there!

Does a set of (partly) macro-shots of caterpillars on my balcony set together as a little story about their summer on my balcony match the topic or would it fail the requirements as it is not a classic documentary but macro-pics?

Thanks for your answer!

  Lena Jun 10, 2013 10:42 PM

49

i do a volunteer work for an independent online magazine and have photos which have been published in the online magazine but i was not paid for it. i just want to ask if these photos are eligible for the contest. thanks.

  mira Jun 11, 2013 1:40 AM

50

I will be in Peru in August, but my country of residence is Canada (where I should return after the scholarship, because of school). Is there any way the prize would allow me to travel Lima-Copenhagen, Copenhagen-Montreal? I am wondering if so, because I would be ineligible otherwise... Thanks Jason!

  vanessa Jun 11, 2013 9:40 AM

51

Inca - Yes, you can submit a different set of photos from the same place.

Gaurev - Everything that is covered in the scholarship prize is listed in the 'Terms & Conditions'.

Felyppe - Please read comment #37.

Wisnumt - Email me at scholarships@worldnomads.com - it doesn't look like you have properly submitted your entry.

Jahz - This opportunity is open to all countries.

Lena - That is fine as long as you feel it is a strong story and gives a real sense of place.

Vanessa - That would not be a problem.

Alicia

  scholarships Jun 11, 2013 10:20 AM

52

Hi Alicia, I have sent you email, thanks

  Nis Daniel Jun 11, 2013 10:22 AM

53

will they pay for this?

  Bhayani Tejas Jun 11, 2013 10:01 PM

54

can published photos still be used?

  arlene Jun 12, 2013 2:04 PM

55

Gidday Jason,
I looked through the past winners and saw that they all had documented people with their photography. Would it be a disadvantage to enter a series of wildlife and nature for a specific area?

  Dillon Jun 12, 2013 2:50 PM

56

Mira & Arlene - Yes, you can submit photos that have previously been published, as long as you still fit in the parameters of an amateur photographer (deriving less than 25% of your income from photography).

Bhayani - Please read the Terms & Conditions for what is included in the prize.

Dillon - No one type of photography is regarded more highly than another in this competition. Winning entries are chosen on the quality of the images, the strength of the story & the personal essay.

Alicia

  scholarships Jun 12, 2013 3:25 PM

57

can i post edited pictures olso

  amandeep singh kohli Jun 12, 2013 4:59 PM

58

is street photgraphy acceptable to describe particular place?

  Siddhant Jun 12, 2013 6:00 PM

59

amandeep - Read the "Preparing your entries" section in our FAQS: http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/story/90861/Oman/2012-Travel-Photography-Scholarship-FAQs

Siddhant - Yes.

Alicia

  scholarships Jun 13, 2013 1:37 PM

60

Hi,

This sounds like a fantastic opportunity.

I was wondering if black and white images, albeit with raw ( untouched )would be accepted?

I believe for my story black and white images would work as a stronger medium.

Rohan

Rohan - Yes, black and white images are just fine. Read #9 of the FAQs: http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/story/90861/Oman/2012-Travel-Photography-Scholarship-FAQs

Alicia

  Rohan Jun 14, 2013 6:45 AM

61

Is the essay 1200 Characters or Words??

Sophie - 1200 characters.

Alicia

  Sophie Jun 14, 2013 4:46 PM

62

Please help!

I tried uploading my entry last night. My computer froze and although in the morning it showed it under my user name I could not find it under the main page under the entries. I thought maybe it just took awhile for entry to appear. I waited and since it never showed up I decided I would try and deleted my journal and enter again. However after removing all the information I found that I could not re-submit. Now my journal is all messed up and the photos aren't appearing under the journal and it still isn't on the scholarships page. Please let me know what I need to do to resolve this issue.

Thank you!
Sasha

  akshoelace Jun 15, 2013 1:00 PM

63

I have the same problem as Sasha (62). I uploaded and had wrote the first section but the page crashed when I tried to upload photos. Please let me know what to do.

Thanks

  stevensheehy Jun 15, 2013 11:11 PM

64

greetings! i was wondering if the "caption texts" to each photo should have an explanation of the story , or should just be a real caption of one or two words.

thank you

  ARJUN MUKERJEE Jun 16, 2013 5:46 AM

65

hello, i would like to make an entry also, but how many people will be choosen for the scholarship? i am asking a friend to enter also, hoping we could go together.

  sylvia tan Jun 16, 2013 3:43 PM

66

Sasha & Steven - Please email me at scholarships@worldnomads.com.

Arjun - You'll find your answer in our FAQS: http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/story/90861/Oman/Travel-Photography-Scholarship-FAQs

Sylvia - There will only be one scholarship recipient.

Alicia

  scholarships Jun 17, 2013 9:40 AM

67

can the image be slightly cropped? doge and burning? read the faqs but nut sure if it means no postprocessing at all can be done

  jose Jun 17, 2013 2:13 PM

68

68. Jose, Yes an image can be slightly cropped. However if we request the RAW file and the cropping is extensive then the photographer will be penalised.

Some people find a little dodging and burning helps their images but they almost always do too much. I do not doge and burn my images so I am very critical on this type of treatment because it is used way too often in photography to strengthen poor images. If you use this treatment be very mindful on how much you do especially now that you know my feelings.

Best

Jason

  Jason Jun 17, 2013 5:05 PM

69

Hi,

Can i submit people's portrait photography that also defined as a 'place' theme that i visited.
Or it should be only landscape photography.

Ravi - If you can tell a story about a place through portraits, feel free to submit them. - Alicia

  Ravi patel Jun 17, 2013 5:17 PM

70

who's going to pay for the airfare going to greenland? the photographer or worldnomads/natgeo?

Paul Q - The airfare will be covered by us. For the full list of what is included in the prize, please read the Terms and Conditions.

Alicia

  Paul Q. Jun 17, 2013 5:27 PM

71

Hello, I've tried really hard looking for my original pictures but my set is from when I was a real noob just starting and didn't shoot RAW or save the unprocessed pics apparently. They're black and white so it's not like I played with colors much, not that I knew much about it either but I've refrained myself from uploading pictures because of that. Would I still have a chance?

  Ali Jun 18, 2013 7:24 AM

72

Hi guys, several questions:

1) recommended greenland/arctic specific gear... footwear/clothing/etc... a packing list of sorts for this place?

2) during the 8day trip, do we work off a homebase on a daily basis such that we don't have to bring everything when we travel to the site or do we always carry everything all the time?

3) need to bring a laptop?

apologies if the questions seem basic but i'm unsure about the logistics that will be provided by your group. thanks for your time.

Raul,

1.) The winner will receive $1000 towards gear for Greenland and a list of suggested clothing.

2.) Check out the full itinerary here, you will be moving around: http://natgeo.arcticcircle.gl

3.) A laptop is not compulsory.

Alicia

  Raul Jun 18, 2013 7:43 PM

73

I understand that the concept of the competition is the ability of photographs to describe a place. What I want to know is whether it is ok to submit pictures that describe the places (in plural) visited over a period of maybe a week, for example, a ten day trek that took you through a series of places you went through in order to get over the peak.

Sameer - Yes, that is fine. - Alicia

  Sameer Jun 19, 2013 1:05 AM

74

Hi guys I have submitted my entry. Thanks and best wishes to everyone else.

http://journals.worldnomads.com/yogavwk/photos/41612/India/My-Scholarship-entry-A-place-I-have-visited

  yogavwk Jun 19, 2013 5:16 AM

75

Hi guys, i have some photo's that i took during my time in egypt that i would love to submit, but being a total novice at the time with my first camera (compact) i didnt realise it was putting a time stamp on each photo, and didn't find out till i got back from my trip. If i was to crop them to remove the timestamp should i crop them to the same aspect? and would this have a large impact on judging the photo?

  Brian Jun 19, 2013 4:56 PM

76

Me gustaría saber que ocurre si las fotos las hice en JPEG y no tengo las RAW. Más que nada.

Tambien tengo la duda de que igual cometí un gran error, ese error es que pude que retocara las JPEG originales en vez de hacer una copia. Por favor responder en cuanto puedan, Gracias.

  Eduardo Jun 20, 2013 7:05 PM

77

75. Brian, crop if you like but don't destroy the strength of an image. I don't really care of the date is on their it's like a flashback!

Jason

  Jason Jun 20, 2013 8:34 PM

78

As I read "Note: Should your entry reach the final round of judging you will be asked to supply the RAW file of each photo for comparison with your submission (these may also be published online)." I have to say that my photos are only in JPG format, I have not worked in RAW format. Would this will eventually be a problem? Thanks for your answers and good luck to everyone!

  mensi Jun 21, 2013 1:07 AM

79

I have a stupid question...Are the 1200 characters including spaces or excluding?

1200 characters, including spaces, as measured by the counter in the application form

  mina89 Jun 21, 2013 6:58 AM

80

Ali, Eduardo & Mensi - If you did not originally save your images as RAW files, or no longer have them, an untouched JPEG file would suffice - but only if it was not processed. You MUST be able to produce one of the two of these files, should your entry make the shortlist. - Alicia


  scholarships Jun 21, 2013 10:00 AM

81

Hi Everyone, Here's a link to my latest post on camera cleaning.

Cheers

Jason

http://jasonedwardsphotography.com/blog/camera-equipment-damage-and-cleaning/#more-999

  Jason Jun 21, 2013 4:01 PM

82

Hi,

I do have a journal already and wanted to participate in the 2013 travel photo scholarship. I've already uploaded my photos as a flickr set. In guideline item #2 it says about entry form, is there a specific form? my submission does not appear in "http://scholarships.worldnomads.com" as indicated in comment #16.

Here is my entry: http://journals.worldnomads.com/ankor/photos/41709/Philippines/My-Photo-Scholarship-Entry-2013-Celebrating-Independence-A-one-fine-day

Am not sure if I submitted my entry correctly.

Thanks,
Raymond

Hi Raymond,

You have not made an official entry. You need to apply through the entry form - which you will find when your click the orange "Apply Now" button in the post above. You can link your Flickr set on that form as well. You must do this for your entry to be counted.

Cheers
Alicia

  ankor Jun 22, 2013 12:24 PM

83

Hi.. can a beginner join this?

  amanda Jun 24, 2013 6:43 AM

84

Hi!
I have a question . Can I just tell you about myself in 1200 characters? Because I wrote more than 1200 characters,it was about 1642 characters and I coudn't turn to the next step.I'm afraid that I can't tell you enough about myself, my passions, why I love photography, what drives me to take a better shot,...in 1200 chars or less than 1200 chars

Thank you !
Minh Tran

You must meet the brief to have a valid entry

  Mínhatran Jun 24, 2013 5:50 PM

85

Amanda - Yes, beginners are welcome to apply. However, having a camera, some understanding how how it works, and a passion for photography are important. - Alicia

  scholarships Jun 25, 2013 4:29 PM

86

Looks like a great competition! While I am hoping to forge a career in photography, I am looking to become a wedding/social photographer rather than as a travel photographer. Can I still enter? Thanks in advance!

Liz - You are welcome to apply, but obviously you must be willing and open to other types of photography, should you be chosen for this opportunity. - Alicia

  Liz Jun 26, 2013 3:39 AM

87

Hi,

When i type in the caption and the description of the photos, it allows only 80 characters. But, i have seen captions upto 340 characters. Is it because of the uploader as i may not have the necessary "plug in"

Could you guide me as to how this is happening. Am i doing something wrong?

rohan

  rohanchakravarty Jun 28, 2013 5:14 AM

88

Hi,
I would like if a watermark on the image is acceptable? If this is allowed, do you have any suggestion about it?
Thanks!
Best regards,
Marcelo

  Marcelo Mammana Jun 28, 2013 8:45 AM

89

Hi Everyone,

Just for a little last-minute inspiration, you can read about Jake's experience in Oman on our 2012 Travel Photography Scholarship:
http://natgeotv.com.au/events/event.aspx?id=40

Good luck!
Alicia

  scholarships Jun 28, 2013 3:38 PM

90

88. Marcelo, Yes feel free to watermark but do not do it in a way that distracts from the images. Maybe do a small watermark in the left or right bottom corner or whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Best

Jason

  Jason Jun 28, 2013 5:52 PM

91

hi there - i have a quick question about postprocessing before i upload. i have cropped my images from full frame to 4x7, and converted them to black and white. does this sound like too much adjustment? in terms of lightroom, they've just had levels, contrast altered. thanks.

  rconway Jun 29, 2013 12:58 AM

92

hi, i have a question,what should be a journal screen name and title of the journal??please help....

  dalip Jun 29, 2013 2:40 AM

93

Hi! Where do I find the entry form? I have created a journal, and uploaded a flickr set, but can't find the entry form..

  zulevuuren Jun 29, 2013 3:05 AM

94

Hi, first of all apologies for asking a questions that may sound somewhat redundant but I decided I better double check before ditching my entry. I am rather new to digital photography and took a series of pics intended for black and white in colour knowing that I could convert to black and white digitally afterwards. I take this is in principle acceptable for entries here. On a non-digital camera I would have taken the images with a colour filter, however, I did not use one at the time because it is possible to add a standard red/green/blue/yellow or orange filter digitally. Am I correct in suspecting that adding such a filter digitally (which these images need to bring out the texture of a red brick wall) is considered changing the colour curves excessively and therefore not allowed here? Thank you very much for your advice! Kind regards

  Godot Jun 29, 2013 6:48 AM

95

Regarding Comment 93 - I figured it out.** ; )
My entry is in. Can you confirm if it is?

  zulevuuren Jun 29, 2013 5:09 PM

96

Jason, Alicia,

If choosen, must i bring the same camera used to capture the photo to Greenland, or World Nomads will give me the worth $1000 gear & equipments ?

Thx in advance

  DOm Jun 29, 2013 8:59 PM

97

hi - i've tried to enter and got as far as adding text but couldn't upload images. it now says i've entered and can't reenter my submission, but as far as i can see i have no entry and no images were ever uploaded. how can i fix this? thanks and bests.

  rconway Jun 29, 2013 11:02 PM

98

I believe I am having the same issue as comment 97. Although I didn't resize my photos beforehand, which seems to be the issue in my case. Can my situation be rectified because I already received an e-mail telling me that my submission was accepted but yet there is no sight of it with the other entered entries. I will email you as well. Thanks so much!

  charlietravelogues Jun 30, 2013 3:12 AM

99

Alicia,

I emailed you over a week ago and have still not heard back from you.

Sasha

  akshoelace Jun 30, 2013 4:35 AM

100

I am wiring on behalf of my uncle. He is keenly interested in photography and passionate to learn photography but problem is he can't write in English but can speak English a little .
He wants to know is it acceptable for you ?

  Ehsan karim Jun 30, 2013 5:59 PM

101

Do you accept pictures of events, socials or people too...

  vidhan Jun 30, 2013 10:56 PM

102

I have a preety good collection of pictures but Is it acceptable if will send you more than of5 pics but including various trips instead of one.

  vidhan Jun 30, 2013 11:09 PM

103

91. Rconway, that should be fine.

94. Godot, it would depend on how excessive the digital filter is. You are correct in assuming a filter could have been used if shooting black and white film but keep in mind that would have been at a set value and not alterable as the digital filter is. I would attempt to get the same result using contrast first and then see if the filter were necessary. But I do understand the limitations of the spectrum of b&w.

I am presuming you are not referring to the filter type that selects a single colour eg the red of a rose, and makes that red whilst leaving the remainder of the file b&w?

100. Eshan, if he can converse in English that is fine he does not need to be able to write it.

101. Vidhan, yes as long as the sense of 'place' is obvious and not just the event.

102. Vidhan, five pics only! And only one place!

Best

Jason

  Jason Jul 1, 2013 11:41 AM

104

Guys here is another blog post about the Scholarship be sure to have a look at it!

Jason

http://jasonedwardsphotography.com/blog/common-errors-made-in-scholarship-entries/

  Jason Jul 1, 2013 11:45 AM

105

dalip - This is up to you, it can be related to you personally or about your scholarship entry. It has no bearing on the judging process.

zulevuuren - Your entry is fine.

rconway - Email me at alicia@worldnomads.com.

Sasha - I have emailed you.

Alicia

  scholarships Jul 1, 2013 11:52 AM

106

Hi Alicia,

I uploaded my photo set, But There seems to be a confusion Between my last year’s submission with this year’s submission.
I dropped an email to you at scholarships@worldnomads.com with all the details...
Please help....Thanks

  lahirud Jul 1, 2013 6:35 PM

107

Hi,
Do I need to keep the white balance as shot or can I adjust it?

  Esdras Jul 1, 2013 6:49 PM

108

I cant see my entry on the official entry list along with the other entries, I've already emailed you about it, please help! and tell me if there is anything I should do, so I can correct any mistake before the deadline, thanks!

  cuausupertramp Jul 1, 2013 8:14 PM

109

Hi Jason, I reviewed some previous winners and I noticed that you mostly select documentary photos. Only a few landscape photos were among shortlisted. Does it mean that those who submitted such photos have higher chances?
shouldn't "Travel Scholarships" cover all categories i.e. landscape, people, wild life, urban ....
You do a great job guys but it is unfair towards participants (majority) who submit not what you prefer.
Sincerely,

  Alex Jul 2, 2013 1:38 AM

110

Thanks Jason, for your answer about watermarks.
Best wishes,
Marcelo

  Marcelo Mammana Jul 2, 2013 8:21 AM

111

lahurid - Just checking into this and will email you.

Alex - We do encourage all types of travel photography. We do not choose the shortlisted entries based on any category or preference, we simply choose the entries with the best photos (that tell the strongest story) and essay.

Alicia

  scholarships Jul 2, 2013 11:16 AM

112

Hi Alicia, Jason,
I've submitted, and (supposedly) uploaded succesfully my 5 images with captions, but I can't see anything in my journal (there is only the name of the journal, but neither the essay nor the images). Should I wait some time? Anyway, I can't submit another time, as it says that I've already did it (which is true, of course). I know you are really busy these hours, but I will really appreciate you can tell me if I must do anything else, or just wait.
Best regards,
Marcelo

  Marcelo Mammana Jul 2, 2013 11:36 AM

113

Hi Alicia, I just uploaded my photos for the scholarship but I have no confirmation that entry was successful. Can you please check, I do not want to miss the opportunity!! Thanks for helping, Enrica

  Enrica Jul 2, 2013 5:06 PM

114

Hi,

So I entered and received a confirmation e-mail. I found my entry in the list of all entries but there are 2 problems. Firstly, the thumbnails in the list is in the wrong order, and secondly when you go into the entry to read more and to see the pictures there appears to be no slideshow of my 5 images that I uploaded (as a flickr set) when completing the entry form. But I did upload the same images into my journal, (as can be seen there under "A Simpler Life*") before I completely realised how the entry process worked..

So is this okay? Is my entry faulty?

You can see my entry here -
http://journals.worldnomads.com/zulevuuren/photos/42127/Mozambique/A-place-I-have-visited

Please let me know if there is something I must do.

Thank You!*

  zulevuuren Jul 2, 2013 11:14 PM

115

Hi,

I lowered the resolution on my images to 72 dpi, as requested, but it seems quite low.
When I zoom in, the quality disintegrates quickly, is this still ok, as it is per instructions?

Thank you

  Julia Jul 3, 2013 1:19 AM

116

Hi, sorry I just came across another issue.

In one of the FAQ videos, Jason says 1-3 sentences for a description would be good, however I am barely able to make one sentence with the character restrictions :(

  juliagelezova Jul 3, 2013 1:52 AM

117

Sorry, last issue was resolved:)

  juliagelezova Jul 3, 2013 2:13 AM

118

Hello! First I'd like to say thank you so much for this opportunity!
I've read all the comments before, my question is the following: are level corrections - just to recover areas in shadow - considered high-end retouching? I have some pictures I took on Perú that I think are really good and - I wasn't shooting in RAW at the moment but sure I have the original JPEG's.

Thanks a lot,
Luigi

  Luigi Jul 3, 2013 2:17 AM

119

107. Esdras, Feel free to white balance if it makes the shot look more accurate.

109. Alex, there is absolutely no bias at all between the genres but 99% of the entries we receive feature the style of imagery you mention. Therefore the odds are that the finalists will heavily represent those styles. Just because someone enters landscape or wildlife etc it does not mean they should automatically become a finalist simply because they are different, they still need to make it past the judging panel to get to me. I would love to see more and more different styles of travel photography entered but I cannot force people to do it!

118. Luigi, a little correction for shadows and highlights is fine.

Best

Jason

  Jason Jul 3, 2013 9:26 AM

120

Marcelo - I have emailed you.

Enrica - Your entry is valid.

Zulevuuren - Looking into this and will email you shortly.

Julia - Glad to hear it! Everything looks fine.

Alicia

  scholarships Jul 3, 2013 11:37 AM

121

Is my entry submitted ?coz i cannot see it with other entries

  Agnel Jul 3, 2013 4:05 PM

122

Agnel - It doesn't look like you have a valid entry. Did you apply using the orange "apply now" button above?

Alicia

  scholarships Jul 3, 2013 4:14 PM

123

hi ,i did apply through that orange button have created journal the journal stil i have anythng else to be done?thankyou

  goafestivalsanjao Jul 3, 2013 5:32 PM

124

Hi Jason,

First off thanks for taking the time to answer everyones questions, there's allot.
Hey I got together my entries and wrote the essay but then re-read the entry conditions and found that a RAW file native to the camera needs to be available. I always convert to DNG when I import them so I have none available. Should I not be using DNG so that I can enter competitions like this one. And without native RAws I cannot enter, right

  Dillon Jul 3, 2013 6:56 PM

125

Hi. How do we upload the captions? In the Aurigma Uploader the 'edit descirption' that appears under each photo you can check doesn't work. Didn't know whether I should check all my photos then press send, and captions can be added after, or if the description box in blue at the top should be used (the essay is auto-filled in there), then there is also an update gallery button. Tried using the alternative uploader which is more self explanatory except I can't fit the captions in (like Julia's comment above, barely a sentence fits). Could you please help with how to add captions!!

  kazmey Jul 3, 2013 6:56 PM

126

Hi, can you please tell me whether a combination of both color and black & white photos together applicable. And one more thing, I have submitted but I am unable to see my entry in the entry list. Can you please tell me whether my entry is submitted successfully?

Thank you!!

  souradeepghosh Jul 3, 2013 9:21 PM

127

Hi! I uploaded a flickr set and went through the application form, however there now doesn't appear to be anything there, just the name of the journal with nothing in it? And I get an error message when I try to access it? I'd really like to enter so I want to make sure my set is in!
Thank you,
Irina

  irinaearnshaw Jul 3, 2013 10:47 PM

128

Hi! I created my journal and uploaded the photos yesterday. Today I tried to delete them and upload them again, because I noticed the order they appear in the listing page was reversed. I only succeeded in deleting, when I try to upload again the plugin message is "upload complete" but I don't see my images in the gallery. I tried this several times and still doesn't work. Currently my gallery is empty ... please help.

  sanziene Jul 3, 2013 11:33 PM

129

So the only way to submit the entries is to click apply after uploading the photos and writing the essay? Cause I have done it still am not able to see my entry and also the essay is to be written first in " my stories" and then the photos are to be attached using insert? I never found a camera icon.

  godmanus Jul 4, 2013 1:27 AM

130

Help!
I think I messed up my journal trying to edit it. I tried to upload the same photos again and it seems my gallery for the contest is blocked. Even if I deleted the old photos in the gallery I couldn't upload them again. I tried to create a new gallery to see if the problem is with the server or with the profile. I could upload them in the new gallery and therefore I moved them from this one to the scholarship entry's old one. I's the same set of 5!!!!!

Currenlty my gallery has the images but I cannot edit the captions, It appears to be a regular journal galley and not one for contest. It no longer appears in the submissions page. Can anyone check and tell me what happens...I'm so panicked not to be removed from the competition for some tehnical issues, or for some mistake in managing my gallery on the site. I thought it's ok to make changes as long as the set remains to a maximum of 5 images... maybe the same images duplicated due to some tehnical issue.... I have no ideea what happens and the deadline is in one day.

Please help ....

  sanziene Jul 4, 2013 6:35 AM

131

Hello,
I tried to submit my gallery to the Greenland Scholarship but an error popped up in the submission process. I made a gallery but the gallery doesn't say "scholarship entry" next to it and I couldn't find it next to everyone else's galleries under scholarship entries. I tried to re-apply but it says I've already entered.
Can someone please help me figure out how to submit this gallery?
Thank you very much!
Dustin

  dpsmith Jul 4, 2013 8:20 AM

132

Question regarding file format. I see that finalists must provide original raw format files if the shot was captured in this manner. I use adobe lightroom to import photos from my card and have presets that automatically convert my .cr2 files to .dng when they come into the computer. However, all of my .dng files remain unaltered because I export changes to a copy. In other words, I have the unaltered image as it was taken by the camera, but it is in .dng format. Will this be a problem if I am selected as a finalist?

  prhutchi Jul 4, 2013 8:25 AM

133

Hi Guys,

124. Dillon, do you have the native DNG file ie from before you did post-production on it?

126. Souradeepghosh, a mix of colour and black and white is fine but make sure they work well together as this is difficult to achieve.

134. Prhutchi, an unaltered DNG is fine.

Best

Jason

  Jason Jul 4, 2013 8:44 AM

134

I have my gear on my back all the time. I don't mind carrying gear. I would love to carry gear and watch people work. I am ;4-7 4-8 though. How much heavy lifting is involved

  Janet Shum Jul 4, 2013 9:46 AM

135

Or more accurately how much weight do you have to be able to lift to do this assignment?

Janet, I can carry you I think;) Not too much heavy lifting but at times it will be physical. Primarily just your own stuff but also helping me and the crew at times but I'm sure you would be fine.

Cheers,
Jason

  Janet Shum Jul 4, 2013 9:47 AM

136

Agnel – We have your official entry here: http://journals.worldnomads.com/goafestivalsanjao/photos/42654/India/My-Scholarship-entry-A-place-I-have-visited

Kazmey – I just emailed you. For everyone else, you can just upload all five photos without captions first, if this a problem. Then, go back into each individual photo and add in your caption.

Godmanus –You haven't entered yet - use the application form

Alice – To make certain that the judges view your images in the right order, you can put the number in front of each photo caption. For example, (1) All mountains are magic. Himalayas are the most magic among all of them.

Sanziene – We will fix this up, and email you so that your entry can be valid.

Dpsmith – I’m looking into this and will get back to you.

Best of luck to all!
Alicia

  scholarships Jul 4, 2013 10:19 AM

137

Hi Everyone,

For those of you still planning to submit your entries, listen up!

We are closing applications at 2pm AUSTRALIAN EASTERN STANDARD TIME, tomorrow July 5th. Note that this time zone is not necessarily YOUR time zone, so please calculate the time difference accordingly. Australia is ahead of most of the world in time zones, so please make sure you don't miss out on this amazing opportunity simply because you didn't take this into consideration.

Also, please don't wait until the last minute to submit your entry. Sometimes things go wrong or take longer than you anticipate. We also get an influx of applications in the last few hours, which can slow our servers.

Every year, people miss the deadline because they didn't pay attention to the time zone, or waited until the last minute to get their entry in. I really don't like telling people that they are too late to apply and missed the deadline -- so please don't make me have to.

Good luck to you all!

Alicia

  scholarships Jul 4, 2013 10:36 AM

138

Sorry Alicia but I haven't heard anything and would really like to know if mine has been entered! My username thing is irinaearnshaw and the trip was to Japan but it's still coming up blank in my journals and isn't appealing in the submitted area...has it been received? Is there anything else I can do?
Thanks so much,
Irina

Hi Irina,

At the moment your Journal is empty. Just sign back into your Journal and upload your photos into the scholarship photo gallery and the essay into the description.

Alicia

  irina Jul 4, 2013 10:38 AM

139

Hi i was wondering if i can enter a picture that is actually a frame from a video?
thanks!

  Gabriela Traverso Jul 4, 2013 11:44 AM

140

Hi,

I wasn't sure if my application actually went through or not because it doesn't show up in the submitted area, but says I have already applied for the scholarship. My photos have been uploaded into my journal however and I reuploaded the essay in the journal portion (so I think)...

My journal is: http://journals.worldnomads.com/blacktusk/

Is there something else I need to do?

Please let me know,

Thanks!

blacktusk - You need to copy your essay in the description of your scholarship photo gallery. As it stands right now, they are two separate posts.

Alicia

  blacktusk Jul 4, 2013 12:40 PM

141

traveltransmissions - Did you apply using the "apply now" button? Your post is not a valid entry.

Alicia

  scholarships Jul 4, 2013 3:36 PM

142

Jason,
I have a couple of questions to ask you
1. Are signatures allowed in the photographs we are submitting (all the 5 pics)
2. How much amount of Post processing is permitted? Like Using graduated ND filter, color enhancement, adjusting the exposure/contrast, sharpening etc. in LR/Photoshop

Thanks,
Mathan

  Mathankumar Jul 4, 2013 5:04 PM

143

Do i Have to submit my travel photographes only ?? Or i can submit my wild life photos too????

  MEET VALA Jul 4, 2013 7:58 PM

144

Hi, it's ok a resolution of 300 pixel/pollice for my photos?

  Maria Francesca Jul 4, 2013 10:48 PM

145

Blacktusk – Is theblacktusk your new username? If so, we have your official entry here: http://journals.worldnomads.com/theblacktusk/photos/43232/Canada/My-Scholarship-entry-A-place-I-have-visited

Martin – All is fine. We have your official entry here: http://journals.worldnomads.com/mcw/photos/42884/Samoa/My-Scholarship-entry-A-place-I-have-visited

Irina – We have your official entry here: http://journals.worldnomads.com/irinaearnshaw/photos/42680/Japan/My-Scholarship-Entry-Geisha-Artists-of-the-Floating-World

Meet – Yes, you can submit wildlife photos.

Rhys – I will respond by email.

Enzo – Your entry is fine. Captions on Flickr are not a problem, judges can read them there.

Dpsmith – Just dropped you an email.

Lizane – Your entry is fine here: http://journals.worldnomads.com/lizane/photos/43167/South-Africa/My-Scholarship-entry-A-place-I-have-visited

Alinoorani - There is an 80 character limit when you upload via the form.
However, you can go back in and edit the captions without character restriction after you upload.

Barry – We have your official entry here: http://journals.worldnomads.com/barryomahony/photos/43213/China/My-Scholarship-entry-A-place-I-have-visited

Jessy – We have your Journal here: http://journals.worldnomads.com/lowanchen/
However, it is empty. Please sign back in and upload your photos to the scholarship photo gallery and your essay in the description.

Ebrahimelmoly – We have your official entry here (tags are fine): http://journals.worldnomads.com/ebrahimelmoly/photos/43485/Egypt/My-Scholarship-entry-A-place-I-have-visited

Everyone, if you cannot immediately see your entry in the official entries list, check back a bit later as the list is cached so it may take some time to show up.

Alicia

  scholarships Jul 5, 2013 9:28 AM

146

Gabriela, no it must be from a stills camera ie no video capture.

146. Mathan, do you mean a watermark signature or ? Please see the guidelines but please note we are strict on over-treating any of the elements you mention so if you are a finalist we will request the RAW so don't put yourself in a situation where what you submitted doesn't look like the RAW.

147. Meet, wildlife images are welcome as long as they tell a story about the 'place'.

153. Maria, not sure if you saw my FB response but if that's the longest length I would make them longer.

Cheers

Jason

  Jason Jul 5, 2013 9:37 AM

147

Hello Alicia,
Sorry to bother, but I don't know why I don't have the option to "view larger image".I uploaded them at 960px and now I can only see the medium size. Does the image size matter to the evaluation? I don't think it should be a problem, but I justed wanted all to be in order.
Thank you

  sanziene Jul 6, 2013 9:34 AM

148

IMHO I think it's lame you guys extended the deadline til Monday July 8th. Isn't part of being a Pro meeting your deadlines? A deadline's a deadline. I mean for those of us who read the posts in detail, Alicia you warned us about last year's server meltdown! I busted my ass to get my photos uploaded. My router crashed so I had to find net on 4th of July blah blah blah. But I did. It isn't fair to those who followed the rules to just change them last day. I'm sorry, but I only found out about this via fb this week and had to make due with what photos I had, make a story, write upload ON TIME. I mean what else will be changed the criteria to be original? The harsh reality is that the show must go on, and for those who, as Jason says in one of his videos, "Is looking for someone who doesn't take 'can't get done' as answer." I mean I really had a limited photos with me and had to take great liberties with the criteria of, "Place." So I hope y'all are just as forgiving about the subjective criteria for, "Place" as you are about the objective criteria for "Time" as in deadline.

  thyme toulouse Jul 6, 2013 2:25 PM

149

sanziene - I have just emailed you.

thyme toulouse - I can appreciate your opinion and we did stress that entrants not wait until the last minute. However, last year our servers only slowed, this year they completely crashed 3 1/2 hours before the deadline. This meant that no one could apply in that time that applications were still meant to be open. As the servers were not back up until 6 hours later, we wanted to give those applicants fair chance to apply.

Alicia

  scholarships Jul 8, 2013 10:27 AM

150

Hi Alicia,

So as long as I can see my photos/entry in the list of entries for this year's scholarship that means it's all good, correct?

Thanks.

  Ann Jul 11, 2013 8:01 AM

151

Hello, sure i won't be in the finalist so looking forward to see the full list, when is gonna be published??? thanks and good luck

  marco novara Jul 17, 2013 4:11 AM

152

Ann - Yes, that means you have made an official entry.

Marco - The winner and the shortlist will be published on July 26th.

Alicia

  scholarships Jul 18, 2013 10:27 AM

153

Will shortlisted candidates be contacted before the 26th of July to submit the raw files? If an applicant is not contacted before that date, can one take it for granted that one's entry was not amongst the selected by the judges?

Thanks

  Paulo Jul 18, 2013 2:30 PM

154

Hi Everyone,

Jason is in the final stages of judging. If you have been shortlisted, you will receive an email in the next few days asking to submit your RAW files. Please keep an eye on your email this week and have these files organized and ready to send should you hear from us.

Not long now....
Alicia

  scholarships Jul 22, 2013 11:15 AM

155

Arrgghhhh!!! This waiting is nerve wracking!!! Keep checking my e-mail!!!

  Andrew Stone Jul 24, 2013 12:55 AM

156

It's already past 2pm on the 25th of July in Australia. Guess I wasn't shorlisted.

Rats!

Guess I need to reevalutate my skills.

Will non-shortlisted people get any feedback from the judges?

Thanks,
Stephi

  Stephi B Jul 25, 2013 2:30 PM

157

Is the list with the shortlisted people going to be announced here? Are we going to be able to see the entries?

  Ani Manova Jul 25, 2013 11:21 PM

158

hello

Today is the date for the winner to be announced. I am just wondering why is the result not here yet?

Cheers

  Khyber Himmat Jul 26, 2013 4:52 PM

159

They extended the deadline during the submission process. Judging becomes tougher and tougher year after year. Maybe They need more time to pick a winner. Rest assured!

  Paulo Jul 26, 2013 6:33 PM

160

We have just announced the winner of the 2013 Travel Photography Scholarship to Greenland!

Check out the winning photos and the shortlisted entries here: http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/story/105897/Greenland/Travel-Photography-Scholarship-2013-The-Winner

Alicia

  scholarships Jul 26, 2013 6:44 PM

161

Another black and white, social issue themed winner

  Marin O Jul 26, 2013 9:00 PM

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Greenland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.