Existing Member?

I’ll never forget that day that how delicious this diversity is

Tour to God

INDONESIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [403] | Scholarship Entry

We almost put our shoes off. The air smells of sweet smoke from joss sticks, myrrh, and oranges. A lady in red and black is like standing inside a frame of the door. A three-time-taller-than-her statue of Confucius smiles at her modestly. The gold mantles him does not make him cocky.
We wait behind her back. She takes some joss sticks, burns them, and moves them orderly from her forehead; her nose; to her lips. Then, she puts them in a golden bowl guarded by two piles of oranges. She turns back, gifts her smile, and shakes hand with each of us. I represent us to interview her. She responds our naughty questions wisely.
First, she said Khonghucu has same idea as the first value of Pancasila, Believing in One God. Praying in front of the statue of Confucius is merely to present a clear vision of his figure. It should be the second step of the prayer.
Then, she brings us to the building that should be the first step. It is smaller than the second building. The statues of god and goddesses put surrounding the room. Each of them is like the angel whose job is to help The Almighty Tian to manage the order of the world.
The last building is the main part of Klenteng. It has the most spacious room with nothing put in it. Most of us are Muslims except my Catholic classmate, Monde. The lady in red and black tells us that the concept of prayer in this last room is same as Sholat and Monde respects it. God is unseen, but He exists. It is same as the happiness. People can experience it, but they cannot see it.
Tionghoa descendants call Klenteng Kong Miao only Kong Miao which means Klenteng Kong. At the beginning, we judge Miao supposes to fake the voice of a cat which is a figure displayed in Klenteng’s portal. In the festivity of Lunar New Year called as Imlek, this cat is known as Barongsai.
This part of Tour to God in Kong Miao ends when the sunrays reflected in the cat’s face as its smile at us when we take its picture. It is such a real sunny Sunday. Abdurrahman Wahid (Gus Dur), the Fourth President of Republic of Indonesia, is our father of beauty and unity in diversity. He is the first leader who legalizes Imlek as national holiday to give a chance for Tionghoa to pray at that day.
Dear Mr. Andreas Yumarma, our beloved lecturer of State Philosophy, the younger brother of Romo Markus Yumartama, the priest of Cathedral Church Jakarta, we thank to your trustworthy to learn the nutritious essence of Pancasila through this fun tour.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About sarandip


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.