Existing Member?

Sarah's Travels A journal documenting the travels and ideas of an adventurous journalism student.

See the world as your own city

USA | Monday, 27 February 2012 | Views [626]

Yesterday I was taking pictures at a local event. While photographing, a guy talked to me about the camera I was using - a Canon 1D with a 70-200mm lens. So, naturally, he was curious how a poor college student like me was able to afford such a camera, and I told him it was borrowed through my university's journalism program. So we began talking about my major and what I've done in college. He was shocked that I had traveled to India.

That's when conversation turned to the dangers of traveling. He has a daughter in high school who is traveling to Spain this summer with EF Tours. It's her first trip abroad, and as a dad, he's naturally worried. So I talked with him about traveling and was able to quell some of his concerns.

Something I've noticed is that traveling to other places is not much different than traveling around your own city. There are dangers to face no matter where you go. As long as you're smart, walk with some confidence and trust your instincts, I don't think there's much to worry about.

Travelers are always going to be more vulnerable to dangers in new cities, but keeping your head on your shoulders and treating a city like your own will help keep you out of trouble.

People, in general, are good. Don't let the bad ones keep you from traveling somewhere that may seem risky.

Tags: abroad, thoughts, tips, travel

About sarahlynn2

Just in case you need a face to go with the name :)

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.