Existing Member?

it's a long way from whitley bay... Hi everyone and welcome to our journal where you can see and read what we've been up to and where we're going next. We hope you enjoy it, and would love you to keep in touch with your news, and send us your comments! Lots of love, Sarah and Phil x ;)

Beijing and The Great Wall

CHINA | Thursday, 27 March 2008 | Views [919] | Comments [3]

wiggly woo

wiggly woo

Hi everyone,

Well, Peking (as most people who live here still seem to call it) has been awesome.

The weather started off dismally on Friday - no sign of the Mongolian dust storms we'd been warned of - but we couldn't be certain if that was because they weren't there or that we just couldn't see them through the dense smog.

Nevertheless we decided to make the most of it and put on our best walking socks for a good old slog across the city. We ended up pottering about 8 miles to Tiananmen Square, through several 'hutongs' (traditional housing areas with lots of small alleyways), through Beihan Park and round its big lake, then up the hill in Jingshan Park for misty/smoggy views of the Forbidden City.

 The forbidden city looking very foreboding

We haven't risked being transported in one of these yet... poor Pìglet (in the window) looks terrified!

We got to Tiananmen just in time for the ceremonial lowering of the national flag at the end of the day. It's a very imposing place - the biggest public square in the world apparently, and able to hold up to 1 million people (Anna - are you paying attention?!)

Looking north across Tiananmen Square

There was quite a crowd already when we got there but 45 minutes later all that had happened was a few shivery-looking soldiers had come out to stand round the perimeter, and the flag was still up. The changing of the guards it wasn't!

The Chinese crowds seemed to be quite enjoying it though - teenagers were talking photos on their mobile phones and everyone seemed quite content -perhaps partly due to the ever-present police and soldiers keeping an eye out for anybody breaking the decorum...

After an hour or so of this we decided that our legs couldn't take any more so we jumped on the subway home. This was one time when we could actually say we'd have preferred to be at home watching Big Brother (rather than being watched by him!)

Having walked all that way on Friday we had a lazy day on Saturday and decided the only thing we'd do would be to see if we could track down the Olympic Stadium. We found it in the end, but the photos aren't too spectacular partly because it was still very smoggy and partly because the closest security would allow us was about 500 metres away on the other side of a motorway.

The smog cleared and the sun came out on Sunday so we got up early to see if we could finally succeed in our quest to see a pickled dead Commie! After missing out on Lenin and Ho Chi Minh, we were determined not to miss Mao Tse Tung so we got up early and joined the queue at the 'Mao-soleum' (sorry!) in Tiananmen Square and this time we made it in.

Sarah in Tiananmen Square. Spot the Olympic countdown clock in the background.

The truth be told, it was all a bit weird (as you might expect!). The crowds were rushed through by guards barking instructions and grabbing the ocassional person by the shoulder to hurry them along. The Chairman was in a glass case that we passed by in about 5 seconds (he looked a bit waxy to us...maybe they got him from Madame Tussauds) then the second we walked out the room, we were in a Mao souvenir shop full of pens, badges, watches, ties, cups, you name it, all with Mao's smiling face on them. Not quite sure how this ties up with his anti-capitalist stance but "that's progress" as seems to be the motto in China these days.

Southern gate of the Forbidden City with Mao's portrait overlooking Tiananmen Square

We then spent the afternoon visiting the Forbidden City. It was really interesting strolling around the Imperial halls, the old living quarters of the emporers and their concubines, seeing the temples in which they worshipped, and some of the art and treasure that have survived the cultural revolution. Finally we got a real taste of Old China, and it was absolutely fascinating.

People living in the Forbidden City must have been taller in those days...

We were only slightly disappointed that we weren't able to have a coffee in Starbucks - which we'd heard had wormed its way into the Forbidden City itself. It seems that there are some limits to what is deemed the acceptable encroachment of capitalism after all!

Bit windy in the Forbidden City!

On Monday we visited the Great Wall at Badaling, a really fantastic experience and another real 'can't believe we're here' moment. We'd both imagined that the authenticity of the wall might have been slightly trampled under the millions of tour groups that come to visit the open sections of wall each year - however even at the section we visited (which was one of the most popular), you can get a really good idea of the immensity of it, and the effort it must have taken to build it.

It's pretty awe-inspiring to find out that the wall once stretched for 6000 kilometres, and a bit grisly that lots of bones of the workers who died during the wall's construction are buried in the wall - giving you some idea of how hard it must have been to complete all those hundreds of years ago.

Is this how they got about in the olden days then?

We were also lucky to visit on a low season Monday, so it was relatively quiet and we actually had some sections of the wall to ourselves. Which was a relief as we'd slightly under-estimated the intensity of the 'undulating' slopes of the wall and Sarah realised too late that perhaps a mini-skirt wasn't the best choice of outfit when climbing some of the very steep slopes!

On Tuesday and Wednesday the sun stayed out and we visited the Summer Palace and the Temple of Heaven Gardens. The Summer Palace was built on the orders of the Dowager Empress Cixi with money that was apparently intended to be spent on naval warships! It was very grand and had great views over a huge lake with temples, painted wooden walkways and trees in blossom all around it.

The Temple of Heaven Gardens also made for a pleasant wander around, while we passed away a few hours before heading to the airport. Like most parks in China, it was full of old folk exercising, mainly by practising tai chi or by walking backwards and high kicking. You wouldn't want to meet one of them in a dark alley!

Phil doing feng shui, or something, in the summer palace gardens

We've had a great time in China and the whole of Asia in fact. We'll miss the Asian madness - the amusing signposts and menu descriptions, the craziness in the parks, the 'surely two people and two backpacks can't fit in that...can they'-vehicles, and the the pea and kidney bean flavour yoghurt (which Phil had out of choice - I kid you not!), but we're also  looking forward to throwing a ute on the barbie and flaming a gallah...or whatever it is they do in Oz!

By the time you read this, we'll be in Sydney so g'day for now and look out for the next bonza update soon.

Love from Phil and Sarah x x

Comments

1

Hope you're both well and have a bonza time when the folks arrive. Thank you all for my birthday cards and think of us wading through the snow as you're sunning yourselves around the barbie!
Simon X

  Simon Mar 28, 2008 1:54 AM

2

Hi guys, I am so sorry it has taken me so long to e-mail you but life as always is busy, busy, busy. It sounds like you are having an amazing time - We have another set of friends who have been doing pretty much the same route as you up until now but about a month ahead) so Marc and I are very jealous! I am afraid I have nothing of any real interest to report on in Blightly - Finn is growing up very quickly but continues to be a very happy and content little boy (I know my luck is going to run out soon on this one!). Marc had a hernia op a few weeks ago and is now fully recovered and I am still chasing my own tail trying to keep up with life - in a good way though! we have Finn's naming ceremony all booked (fingers crossed for this one) for the 7th June and we are planning a week in Devon later on in the Summer (not quite the same as a trip around the world but a holiday all the same!). Anyway I had better go as lots of work to do, I will get Marc to post some more photos of Finn on facebook so you can see how big he is now. Thanks for the postcard by the way. Take care and lots of love to you both, Tamzyn x x x

  Tamzyn Mar 29, 2008 12:06 AM

3

Hello again,

I've been enjoying catching up with the latest 'published' chapter. Love the photos of the hutongs and the wiggly woo picture is great. I see what you mean about the short skirt problem - just as well you were wearing leggings Sarah!
Did you hear any of the news from Tibet while you were in China? There was a lot on the BBC here.
The opposition party in Zimbabwe is claiming it's won the election there despite vote rigging and "ghost" voters. We can only hope they are right and can liberate the country from the ghastly situation it is in. They will need a huge amount of help to rebuild their lives and the economy etc.
Well, spring has arrived today and it's been sunny and quite warm - nice day for fairweather gardening so I've been doing just that.
Chops has a new potential friend (if he would allow it) in the form of a splendid Maine Coon cat. I had already seen him at his home but he's not been allowed out as they are hopeless on the road apparently. Anyway, he found his way in through the catflap and announced himself in a very chirrupy way (they do) rahter like Chops. So it was very funny hearing them chatting to each other but Chops started growling a lot. Obviously he wasn't happy with an interloper possibly eating his din dins (even though he would have no compunction in returning the compliment). So although initially we had encouraged Leroy Brown in, and he loved all that as they are very affectionate, now we have to have the catflap on 'out only'. Leroy is a very determined pussy and uses all his weight to try and push it with both front paws. We feel really mean, especially when he looks at us from the outside through either the window or the actual catflap. Chops however, can now get his bye byes with no interruptions. Unfortunately we forgot to set the catflap to both ways the other night and awoke in the morning wondering where Chops was. The penny dropped and relief all round, there he was in the garden waiting for breakfast. I don't know how long he'd been effectively locked out though. So we're not sure what will happen, especially when the door is left open during the summer. I thought your cat photo (cat on Roof) looked rather skinny but I suppose I'm used to Chops and his undercarriage.
Anyway, by now you'll be with Gerry & John. I'm sure you'll have a great time and we'll all look forward to the next instalment. I'll be emailing on your Mum's address but can you let her know the parcel arrived safely - and thanks very much indeed.
So until the next time - love to you both and all.
Michele xx

  Michele Munro Mar 31, 2008 2:51 AM

About sarahandphil


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.