Existing Member?

Thinking Swiss

Half Time

SWITZERLAND | Thursday, 12 June 2014 | Views [291]

The dandelion greens are enormous. They’re everywhere, on the hillsides where rye and barley used to be grown, coming up in cracks in the pavement and as weeds in the many little front door veggie patches. Haven’t seen anyone picking them. The sheep have returned and they like them. A couple dozen graze above our classroom, each with a bell tied around its neck. The sheep are literally above us, in a little paddock surrounded by electric fence. Have to bend your head back to look uphill and see where all the noise is coming from. Dandelions, clovers, vetches and everything else is being mowed down and then they’ll be moved. At least we’re hoping so. Today we begin three days on Jacque Derrida: THE DEATH PLENTY AND THE MEDIA. I’ve learned to google everything I don’t understand (or never heard of) and paste the URL into a notes document. During the lunch break and in the evening (if I can stay awake) click on the link to see what I’m missing. Getting used to the wikipedia style. Try it with Monsieur Derrida, my current favorite continental philosopher. In the local dive last night over a glass of cheap red wine discussed anarchism with big-shot architect. Ideologically he was way off in right field (the libertarian wing of the movement). Came home early. Oh, finally found some good dark chocolate! Great late afternoon snack. Guess I’m just about half way done. See you all in about two weeks.

About samhitt


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.