Existing Member?

Ruth's Travel Blog

Exploring Bangkok

THAILAND | Friday, 3 May 2013 | Views [604]

I'm the second group of the TEFL internship who are training this week. So the last couple of days, group A have been doing the TEFL course, and group B ( my group) have had a few classes about Thai classroom culture, Thai Language lessons, Thai dancing lessons, and have opened a Thai bank account. the heat is almost unbearable. Lots of the others end up by the pool on our lunch break I hide in my room and make the most of the aircon. 

Today myself and a few of the others on the group B went to Kho San Road which is in central Bangkok about thirty minutes taxi drive away, cheap to get there though... Only 80baht, which is just under £2! 

Kho San Road is the famous street in Bangkok where you can buy anything from a fake degree, to knock off Ray Bans, to a bracelet made from a snake skeleton ( among the more savoury of sights to see). It is rammed end to end with market stalls selling clothes of every type you can imagine, sunglasses, jewellery, bags, tshirts, smoking stuff, food, spices.... the list is endless. I invested in a pair of trousers and practiced my haggling skills which are pretty out of practice since Peru in 2011. They are gorgeous big baggy comfy and light ones with elephants on them and came to be about £4. I love how cheap everything is! I also got a watch since my cheaply one I bought years ago finally broke. I'd don't find one as nice but, it's a watch.

We found a few western touches too. A Boots Chemist, was one thing which was exciting to find as I brought with me a far too low factor of sun cream, really having underestimated the strength and heat of the sun, so got some of that and some tiger balm to zap my thirty something mozzie bites which are driving me insane in this heat.... Which by the about hasn't been under 30 degrees even in the night, and the humidity today was 62%, pretty sticky!! The other western touch was, unsurprisingly really, a burger king. We are all sick of the dodgy food in the hotel, so treated ourselves to a burger and a massive vat of coke each. I must be really well hydrated today, havent NOT had a drink in my hand all day. 

We had a drink in a bar on Kho San Road on the way back to the end, then hailed a taxi. The driver had no idea where our hotel was, so pulled over to look at the leaflet we had to show him. He still didn't know, so he cleared the charges so far on the meter which was of him.

Having a quiet night tonight as the hardcore classes start tomorrow to complete my TEFL course and become a teacher.

More soon xx

Tags: bangkok, kho san road, tefl

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.