Existing Member?

Ruby and Marcello's travel blog

Belize- Caye Caulker & San Pedro

BELIZE | Thursday, 1 March 2012 | Views [881]

Caye Caulker

  

Caye Caulker is an island off the mainland of Belize. It was split in two by Hurricane Hattie and “The Split” serves as an excellent location for lying in the sun, drinking beer and snorkelling if you can face the incredibly strong current that runs through the split. The motto for this town is "Go Slow"...and it's pretty hard not to!

 

It is FILLED with 50 – 70 year old holidaying or retired American couples. There is such a strong Westerner influence in Belize that to offer any kind of service to tourists, you must have a permit; whether it be to sell food, act as a guide, hire out boats or golf carts it doesn’t matter all require a permit…this is pretty much unheard of throughout our travels so we did have to laugh at the bureaucracy..

The most activity we did here was to go on a snorkelling trip to the reef (the second biggest reef in the world after Australia’s is the reef that stretches from Belize down to Honduras) with a company called Raggamuffin Tours.

  

The tour consisted of snorkelling at 3 different locations (we snorkelling with wonderful tropical fish, enormous fish such as Gropers, sharks, rays and beautiful coral) and a sailing return to port at sunset listing to reggae music drinking rum punch (tough life huh!) I might add that they made approximately 20L of rum punch and it was quite potent…we were all pretty pissed by the time we stumbled back to shore.

  

San Pedro

I can’t really tell you anything interesting about San Pedro as we were both sick most of the time we were there- I had a cold and Marcello with a stomach bug which would turned out being an intestinal infection which we actually both had but that story comes in our time in Mexio.

 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.