Existing Member?

Adventures Abroad

2 September, Tuesday

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 2 September 2008 | Views [561]

Toddled off to Windsor today, with Jean - poor Chris is still working! We just wanted to re-visit some shops and generally have a wander around. Bought a few nice things, had some pancakes with strawberries and cream (decadent!) and did a bit of sightseeing, although we had already been to Windsor twice so had seen most things. Two things we hadn't seen before - a blue postbox, standing next to the usual red one. The blue one had GR  on the front (George Rex) instead of ER (Elizabeth Regina) and a handy note told us that it had originally been used, in the 1930s, solely for airmail letters. Just down the road we came upon a dark green postbox (a sort of Harrods green, you might say), with the initials VR (Victoria Regina) but no handy note! Interesting though, we thought. Naturally, Ron took a photo.

When we got home, Jenny (who is staying at her mum and dad's during the week, whilst working locally for BA) had cooked a delicious dinner - a mouthwatering steak and ale pie, which we scoffed with delight. After dinner we walked into the village to take part in a Quiz Night (Trivia Night to all you Aussies). It was great fun, although at first there were huge breaks between the questions. We didn't win, but didn't disgrace ourselves either!

Tomorrow we're off to Salisbury Cathedral, the last Cathedral on my list, and Sarum (I'd recommend Edward Rutherfurd's book of the same name - it's really fascinating).

About ronsan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.