Existing Member?

Adventures Abroad

27 August, Wednesday

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 27 August 2008 | Views [646]

Today we opted for a foray into London, partly because we had to complete some forms with The London Baggage Company, through which we were sending a large bag of personal effects back home, by sea, and partly because we had Things to Do!

We duly presented ourselves at the LBC and filled out seemingly endless forms - it took over an hour!! When we had finished, it was lunchtime so we had a sandwich at a nearby pub and carried on to the river (Thames that is). We decided to take a Thames Clipper cruise and enjoyed a nice float up the river, disembarking at Tower Bridge which, as luck would have it, was just opening up to let a big boat through.

We walked up from the pier to the Tower of London where we went on a tour - extremely interesting. We particularly enjoyed the White Tower, where the armoury but before that we went into a small chamber that displayed instruments of torture. These things are so barbaric, as we had seen at Warwick Castle and it makes your blood run cold just to imagine what the prisoners went through.

On a lighter note, upon visiting the Ladies, I saw on the wall in there two certificates, one which stated that they had been awarded Loo of the Year in 2001 and the other stating Attendant of the Year in 2001!! Did you even know there were such awards?

The Medieval Place was also very interesting, as was the Chapel Royal (and also our afternoon tea in the Armouries Cafe!)

After quite a few hours, we caught the Clipper back to Waterloo, where we boarded our train. Unfortunately (you'll be surprised to hear) we caught the wrong train. Not our fault (we hasten to add). It went from the right platform, at the right time but was not going where we wanted to go! Luckily Chris was able to meet us at Virginia Water, instead of Martins Heron so all was not lost. Mind you, the houses at Virginia Water have to be seen to be believed. Lots are owned by "celebreties" and are absolutely enormous - more like hotels and a real sight to see.

We finally arrived home and, after dinner had another evening of chatting and generally enjoying ourselves.

Off to Windsor tomorrow, this time we'll actually go into the Castle instead of just into the town.

About ronsan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.