Existing Member?

Romodessey

Rovaniemi – Narvik (via lulea)

FINLAND | Friday, 4 July 2008 | Views [3679]

Narvik fjord

Narvik fjord

Not much to say about my trip to Lulea. i spent most of the day on the train or bus and it was cold and rainy. There is some pretty nice scenery – mainly stunted fir and beech forest (being so close to the Arctic) and lakes, many many lakes.

Lulea is a pretty pleasant town too – on the sea and on a lake. My only gripe was the train station – there was absolutely no way for me to reserve a seat on the 8h long trip i had to do the next day. A bit nerve wracking! (though it turned out to not matter in the end).


Was staying in a nice place – with 2 decent kitchens! There was a very nice Genevan guy in my room – yet another crazy person cycling long distances – he had cycled to Lulea all the way from Geneva but was holed up there due to a stuffed knee (very similar to the Spanish guy i met in Annecy). Apparently it would've cost him 200 Euros to see the doctor about his knee!!!


The next day was another longhaul train trip across the Swedish border to Narvik in Northen Norway. The train was packed full with teens heading to a festival in Kiruna (about halfway along the trip). Made for some interesting times with them playing a very random selection of music on their cell phones. They were accompanied by a large band (literally – as in the music kind) of kids of all ages who were heading to Narvik. They kept things interesting until the scenery took over.


The trip between Kiruna and Narvik has awesome scenery – from bleak snow capped mountains, stunted forests, bogs, rivers, land lakes to cute little ski towns. Me and several other people spent the better part of this bit jostling for prime window space to take pics out of. The Narvik fjord kept me standing in the train doorway for at least ½ hour – to the point where i got stuck there as everyone grabbed their baggage at the end. I think the locals and the band of kids must've got a lot of amusement from our “tourist” antics.


Narvik train station was a non-event (bit of a bugger when you're relying on help to locate your accomodation) but i managed to meet a lovely mother and daughter travelling team- Christiana and Tanya (Germans who had emigrated to Canada). They had fallen into the same internet booking trap as me (when i originally tried to book the hostel it was showing up as booked out for 3 months solid! - but when i rang them i got a bed there, no trouble) so thought they would have to sleep at the station. They had a lonely planet for norway so i convinced them to accompany me to the hostel. We ended up in the same, definitely not booked out “dorm” (the place was a converted classroom – divided from other “dorms” by those wooden folding door dividers – it still had a white-board and a projector).

They were heading out to Lofoten too so we ended up on the same bus early in the morning (which turned out to be the only way to lofoten – they had decided to stop running the express boat i had been banking on catching – i'm super glad i asked for the timetable at reception!). Nice to have someone to spend the long bus ride hours with.

 

 

Travel Answers about Finland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.