Existing Member?

Romodessey

Rovaniemi - home of Santa Claus's Official village

FINLAND | Friday, 4 July 2008 | Views [3076] | Comments [4]

Arctic circle marker at Santa village

Arctic circle marker at Santa village

I arrived in Rovaniemi (Santa's town of choice) in Finnish lapland via overnight express train (a fitting entrance i thought). I had a sleeper cabin all to myself during the 10 and a bit hour trip (though i didn't know it was all mine and kept wondering throughout the night when the hell my roommate was going to get on the train). Despite the very pleasant bed i didn't get a lot of sleep and i just did not want to get out of bed and off the train.

Eventually i dragged myself off the train – into a very wet Rovaniemi morning. With checkin to the Guesthouse Borealis (cool name) not until 2pm i wandered off into town. Rovaniemi town is quite new – everything had to be rebuilt after the Germans had a hissy fit when they were evicted at the end of world war 2. Mostly just tenement housing but, due to the good graces of Alvar Aalto (yep the Finnish architectural God), there are some great buildings too. The town concert hall and library are Aalto creations. And then there is the stunning Artikum museum – which has a statuesque main building and then a glass tunnel (under which the museum exhibits are housed) behind. There are also some touching monuments recognising the hard work of the people who rebuilt the place from scratch after the war.


After my quick look around town i headed off on the bus to the official Santa Claus Village. Yes it was pure unadulterated touristic cheese – but it was free to get in and you get to send postcards home with Santa's north pole mark. Oh, and your picture taken with Santa (for muchos euros of course) – they are even so hip as to offer you a flash drive loaded with video from your time spent with The Claus. Me and Nathanial (a kiwi i bumped into on the bus out to the village) did kind of wonder why he was talking to us so long after we had our picture taken.

The main reason i ventured out into tourist hell was to cross the Arctic Circle. I did it several times, quickly, so as to avoid the hordes of mosquitoes itching for tourist blood. Rovaniemi could easily get sponsorship by some mozzie repellant company.

Nathanial and i also visited the Husky park in the village. There we met some very cute huskies, some half wolf/half huskies and one very hungry raindeer. the guide was great too – enlightening us about life in lapland during dark winter and the joys of dog-sledding. It would be fantastic to go on a husky safari in winter!


My second day out in Rovaniemi i spent basically the whole time at the Artikkum – the polar museum. It has to be the best museum i've ever been to. Very informative (in english – yay!), laid out in a fun, interactive way (they have ice caves, videos, a movie, computer games and heaps of cool photos and interviews) and was a good mix of intellectual sciency stuff and human interest stories. And all housed in an ultra stylish building right on the river – with a nice glassed corridor from which to view all the rain!

Bumped into a Cosmos bus tour tourist (a very friendly Indian electrical engineer working in the UK who was a seasoned traveler) on the way to the museum too so had someone to wander the exhibits with.


After that i went to the public library – yes i know, i am a geek. But the place had free internet – oh, and dancing as part of the folk festival. Actually it is a very cool library – it has books in sami, inuit, and a bunch of other languages (especially focusing on Artic people) – and they have announcements in english!!!


Sadly, due to the wet weather (it really does seem to follow me around) i did not manage to view or photograph the midnight sun. I did get to suffer through trying to sleep in perpetual daylight in a room with white curtains though. And got to meet a very nice dutch girl (roommate in our twin hotel-style room at the hostel Rudulf).

Comments

1

Pitty with the rain for you, while we are suffering back in Switzerland hot summer weather, 28 up to +30 degrees and lot's of sunshine.

I'm scared to see you are heading back soon, , see rain is coming, can't you just stay away from Switzerland :-)

  Cornel Jul 4, 2008 8:18 PM

2

FYI - it hasn't rained in days (Rovaniemi was the last place it rained)! I don't know what to do with myself. Very warm here in Stockholm!

  romsterrom Jul 4, 2008 10:23 PM

3

Is there any bus service between Santa Claus village & Artikum? Thanks.

  Jessie Nov 26, 2009 10:50 AM

4

hi Jessie.

yep there are local buses that go to the santa claus village (ask at the info centre in Rovaniemi - bus stop is not far from there and they will tell you schedules e.t.c.). I think it was about 6 Euros for the fare and i think there are buses every hour.

The Arktikum is about a 5 block easy walk from the centre of Rovaniemi town where the info centre is (not sure if there are buses that go there)

  romsterrom Dec 14, 2009 4:27 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Finland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.