Existing Member?

Rea View Searching for warmth and calm

Switzerland: Natural Beauty

SWITZERLAND | Wednesday, 12 October 2011 | Views [969]

The Jura mountains into Switzerland are rolling green hills dotted with tiny villages and bell-clanging cows. Lovely country, and though our GPS gets us a bit lost, we relish the rewards of back country scenery. Well, what can we say - Switzerland is astoundingly gorgeous!

“Nelly” gets us to Emmenthal country where we spend a night in a classic Swiss inn. Our friend Matthias, whom we met this spring in Canada while he was traveling, came by for a pleasant evening visit and a taste of Alsatian wine. The next morning we wind up and over more splendid lush hills through green pastures dotted with farmsteads and speckled with cows into Interlaken. Wow! Highly recommend these narrow country roads over serene mountain passes…they take us through paradise towards the Eiger, the Jung Frau and other lofty peaks hiding in the clouds, periodically showing their faces. After 18 years Laura re-enters the Lauterbrunnen Valley and together we marvel at waterfalls cascading from lurching cliffs to the farmyards below.

As if this is not enough, we head straight up and over the Alps towards Italy via the classic Bernina Pass. The road is nearly folded over onto itself in places. The mountains are magnificent, covered with yellow larches and snowy glaciers.

About roaming_reas


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.