Existing Member?

limpidwords

The wilderness of Kerala

INDIA | Wednesday, 12 February 2014 | Views [294]

 

Rinchen Dolma

Gloriously slitting dawn into the magic wrap of light, as sun rose itself to flood its ray on our skin, we made our way from Kottayam to the next district. Idukki, situated in Kerala is a place of visual treat with a lot to offer.

Unaware of the adventure that awaits us, the IIMC family endeavoured on its trip to Thekkady. The idea didn’t pop out on the spot. It happened after a week long discussion on where to go and where to spend the time. After some serious deliberations, a consensus was reached on visiting Thekkady and Ilaveezhapoonjira. The journey started early in the morning. As we commenced towards our destination, the rich dense green hills paved the way for us. The sun beamed in for a bright day to follow ahead.

The first place we hit was Periyar Tiger Reserve, where we had a plan for three hours trekking followed by boating. Never having been on a trekking expedition before, our adrenaline was gushing with excitement to see what comes ahead. As soon as we were ready for it, the first thing we came across was the raft to cross the river. It was a first time experience for most of us on a raft and so did the thrill to see more began.

As we delved into the wilderness of the wildlife, big, tall trees welcomed us, embracing on its branches many lives. There were different species of plants, trees, and animals. The trekking soon landed us in an open field where we saw the most beautiful landscape with the Periyar lake in front of us, sparkling in the sun, awaiting to be adorned. Paw marks of Tiger, just two days old and huge foot prints of elephants marked its presence reinforcing the fact that this reserve is much alive.

Another thing that got me into thinking was the tribals who were there for fishing. I was wondering of the two different worlds on either side of the river. At one side, there was the world which believes in the extravagance of life, yet never satisfied. Power to subdue others is everything for them. And on the other, there were these tribals who lead a simple life. Power, for them, is their beliefs and happiness for them comes in small packages. Though the trekking was wonderful, but catching the glimpse of any wild creature came true only when we boarded for the boat ride. Wild buffalos, Sambhar deer, snakes, mongoose, different species of birds and a herd of elephant made the day worthwhile.

Our next stop was at Ilaveezhapoonjira, where we were to stop for the night. But as our dashing bus moved upwards with the bumpy rides, we realised that the road was murky ahead. Half the soldiers marched on foot while others waited for the resort jeep to follow up on a bumpier ride. A distorted journey left everyone tired but the adventure in itself was one of a kind. And the immense fervour came alive after dinner, when the music synchronised with the bonfire to make it light. The night sky and the cool breeze sang along with all the light hearts and made it one of the most wonderful field trip.

Next day, the rising orange ball beyond the horizon made its way far across from behind the hills of Western Ghats. As it rose, it conquered the whole diversity under its realm and filled in with its vigour and luminosity. Wind blowing on our face, moving on to the top of the hill, the panoramic view of Western Ghats filled in each one of us with ecstasy. To view the sunrise from that hill of Ilaveezhapoonjira was one of the rarest sights. Even as we see it in our everyday life, this one was a breath taking and magnificent experience.The orange candy sure filled it with sweetness.

Of all the tours and field trips, this one made its way directly into everyone’s heart with all the good adventures. The last halt was at the river of Thodupuzha, where the whole crew took a break to experience the coolness of the river. We all reached back with the grandeur of good memories in our heart.

Tags: sunrise, trekking

 

About rinchen


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.