Existing Member?

Ride Earth On Sunday 17th June 2007, Tom Allen, Andrew Welch and Mark Maultby embarked upon Ride Earth - their mission to circumnavigate the world by mountain bike. Follow their progress here.

Ride Like Lightning

AUSTRIA | Thursday, 9 August 2007 | Views [1264]

Andy

Sitting on a park in Vienna after a huge thunderstorm during which I feared for my own life, I find a moment of tranquility and reflection.

DSC_0481

Earlier on I had walked down into the city to have a wander about. As I strolled along in a semi-trance, the thick air made my head woozy and my skin clammy. Hot and humid throughout the day, dark clouds gathered far on the horizon. The blue sky lifted away, invaded by a heavy blanket of thick white, promising an unpredictable change in the weather but not giving any clues away.

Drifting along I reached a pedestrian crossing and stood absorbed in my head waiting automatically for the time to cross. The stream of cars moved in front of me, tonnes of metal passing within a metre of my comparatively frail shell.

DSC_0476

I glanced at the sky, not much change, just overcast and a little hazy. Then it happened. With no warning and within a fraction of a second, the loudest thunderclap I have ever heard occurred, seemingly simultaneously with a huge bolt of fork lightning which struck something about 1 block to my left. At this precise moment every person in the direct vicinity, momentarily jumped, and then cowered towards the ground. Within 30 secs I experienced complete fear, a shared shock and relief of being alive with the person standing next to me at the crossing, panic and the uncontrollable urge to walk around like a headless chicken, then a survival instinct to get underground or in a building.

For the next 3 minutes I walked quickly down into an underground tram station, looking around me at the reaction of others. I felt myself feeling disbelief at whether what I had just experienced had actually happened or just been a daydream, as everyone looked much calmer than I felt. Lightning and further loud thunderclaps occured but nothing like the first one. It was the closest I have ever been to a lightning bolt and was so unexpected.

The incident was exciting and interesting because the fear and subsequent relief at being alive after having nature open up so violently. It caused me to reflect on the human survival instinct and the ability of nature to act without warning and with incredible power, completely ripping me from my comfortable, trancelike mindset partly induced by the urban environment. The familiar routine of the cogs of the city and people moving around me.

On our journey, I am more aware of my own need to survive that I was at home in a routine job. Finding food and water will become more difficult as we head into less developed countries. Unfamiliar situations on a daily basis will require us to use and extend our wits and skills.

This involvement in one’s own personal management and responsibility to stay alive is incredibly rewarding. It has the potential to become lost in the easy living western world with instant electronic communication, convenience food etc. The effort is taken out of being sociable, moving from place to place, and staying alive instead the focus is shifted towards earning money and having more and more material possessions. With these things we become more disconnected from our environment which is the life support system for the survival of our species.

With less connection to the environment, it is increasingly out of our minds and respect and becomes an abstract entity in its own right. However, on the flip side, getting out into the environment and enjoying it, from my experience, develops a deep respect and understanding of it. Doing something like riding a bike along a forest trail on a cool crisp sunny morning is an intensely enjoyable way to get up, get the adrenalin and endorphins pumping and it is so accessible and of course free, apart from getting a bike in the first place.

DSC_0443

So to conclude, do something to get out into the natural environment and enjoy it, go walking cycling or just go out of the city. Maybe, grow some of your own food, its cheap and rewarding. Try visiting http://www.rivercottage.net/ to find out about this sort of thing. Do something to get back in connection with your own survival and environment.

Tags: Adrenaline

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.