Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Obama Day!

KENYA | Wednesday, 5 November 2008 | Views [747]

We paid a bit more money to stay in a room with a television. I wanted to be sure to see as much coverage of this historic election as I could.

Because we are 8 hours behind America, we were able to spend the day at the beach and watch CNN at night. We stayed awake until around 1am and by then the first few states had their poll results coming in, mostly in Obama's favor. Happy with that, we fell asleep, but left the television on.

At around 7am I awoke to the sounds of John McCain starting his concession speech. I jumped up and down on the bed, waking Rich up in the process. We watched as Mc Cain made his way through the speech, congratulating Obama and thanking all his constituents. Then we waited with anticipation for the first ever acceptance speech from a black president elect. And we sat there in our underwear watching and listening to one of the best speeches we’ve ever witnessed live. Obama’s acceptance speech brought tears to my eyes. What an amazing event to wake up to. Now the worldwide party can start!

Shortly after Obama’s speech, the TV automatically switched from CNN to the local Kenyan station. We watched scenes of people partying and performing at ….. (the city where Obama’s father was from). And we watched as the Kenyan president announced that tomorrow will be OBAMA DAY:  A national holiday for all of Kenya.

Being in Kenya has got to be the best place to be for these elections (outside of America). Because Obama is half Kenyan, the people here have been completely behind him and some that we’ve met seem more excited about him becoming president then some Americans I know. I’ve even had a few people say that they wish Obama was their president and if he wanted he could be their president without an election.

We watched as the American Ambassador to Kenya told the population that even though Obama was the new president elect, things between Kenya and America weren’t going to change drastically. We’ll keep our relationship the same as it has been, Kenyans will not be getting green cards and Obama won’t be working with the Kenyan government to fix all their problems. It might sound strange, but there are a lot of people here who seem to genuinely think that Obama is their president; hence the Ambassador's statements.

We watched the people partying in America and around the world. Then we went out to party with the locals!
He's done it - Obama Day

He's done it - Obama Day

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.