Existing Member?

Random Traveller Hello and welcome to the long discourse on Rhiannon’s Adventures So Far, that I finally made myself sit down and write because of the impending DOOM that is called Manufacturer Default. My little baby is a lovely shiny white Macbook that I’ve decided to name Poodle. This is because its main function is to be pretty. However I will soon have to send it off to some unloving ruffians who will beat it and tell it not to keep randomly shutting down on me.

As I write this

SPAIN | Tuesday, 21 November 2006 | Views [1511] | Comments [7]

I thought this might be a better place to start than the beginning for reasons mainly to do with the fact that I am writing this sitting in what is technically a Homeless Shelter. It’s one of those nice Homeless Shelters. I have a room with only three other people and I get fed dinner. The only downside is there are no locks and I think I have to go to Church in the morning. I was looking for a Hostel, really. Then they took my details and gave me a confused look when I asked how much it cost per night.

Just got back from dinner. I was served by Nuns! And there were lots of men with beards. But I fit in cause I had my beanie (furry hat) and puffy jacket. If only I had my Hobo gloves there would have been no difference between us. Apart from the complete lack of facial hair…

I find myself in this situation because I ran away from my apartment. That’s right, I backed up my bags and snuck out the door while my Landlady wasn’t looking. She was crazy and obsessive and generally a very angry person. All lights had to be turned off apart from the one you were currently using. I was allowed to use one saucepan, two frying pans, two cups, one sink and toilet and one pillow. I was not allowed to use any other cooking implements or mugs, the couch or the pillows from the couch to make my little chair more comfortable. For that I could take the pillow from my bed.

Yesterday she demanded 40 Euros for power because using my laptop hadn’t been part of the rent. I asked to see the power bill and she blew her top. Figuring if I didn’t pay up she would start stealing my stuff I packed up and left. I left a little note that said “Tu eres demasiado enfadado” or “You are too angry”.

Yes, I know it was childish, but after a month living with her I needed something to chuckle about.

Tags: Misadventures

Comments

1

Rhi - you're living in a homeless shelter!!? You'd better not come home converted to some freaky religion. :p

Sounds like you're having way more fun than me - angry landladies not withstanding - so you'll have to let me know when you're going to be in Vail. I am jack of Brisbane weather already, and if Zulu sells in the next few weeks I will seriously be considering a skiing holiday. So over the 9-5.

Hope your poodle is okay - will hold off on the obligatory 'Mac's are crap I told you so!' :p

My vaio died recently - but we ressurrected it with a new hard-drive. It no longer sounds like a dying pig when switched on.

Anyway - hope your living situation improves, and the nuns don't discover you're not Catholic and beat you with sticks :p

Later!

  Alyssa Nov 16, 2006 10:04 AM

2

Yes Macs may be crap, but nothing beats them in the pretty. I´ll be in Vail from the 22nd Jan to 6th of Feb. People are deffinately welcome, but bring a sleeping bag.

  Rhiannon Nov 23, 2006 10:53 PM

3

Very cool Rhi... brought a big smile to my face reading that! Definately no need to live with angry people. It was a great note that you left her - short and sweet yet says everything needed :)
I've read a few of your other posts too (The UK series, tomato fight, Spain and Germany) Sounds like great times. Great writing style and very readable = very enjoyable!

Actually, good thing you posted this to World Nomads as it reminded me that I need to get travel insurance - or maybe not... I've got by without it so far.

I've got run... getting some new touring bindings mounted to my new skis - hoping to skin up the hill and poach some pow before open day next week (I'm back at Red).

and Macs are not crap!!! :)

  Ben Nov 24, 2006 6:25 AM

4

You did the right thing - you just can't reason with these crazy people! I always end up trying to get through to them with common sense, but it can be a real lost cause.

Didn't know if e-mails would be welcome or if you were trying to get really "away" from it all. It's great to hear your stories. (Henceforth, you shall be known as... Hobo!)

I'm off to Perth...

  Rob Nov 24, 2006 10:21 AM

5

Great stuff rhi, good to hear your stories - i am very jealous!! Got a job in Canberra so leaving sunny (ok humid, awful) Brisbane soon and no chance of a trip any time soon :-( Will just have to read all you adventures!

  Jen Nov 24, 2006 11:44 AM

6

To Ben: Thanks for the complement. And you´re back at Red? Damn you! (I´ve never gotten anything out of my insurance, but if I didn´t have it the thought of American medical bills would give me nightmares)

To Rob: There´s no way you´re going to get that nickname to stick (and don´t take that as a challenge)

To Jen: Congratulations on the Job! At least you´ll be close to the snow, which is the only justification for moving to Canberra. (Oh, you were all thinking it)

  Rhiannon Nov 25, 2006 1:12 AM

7

I always knew you'd end up living in a homeless shelter at some point... I just didn't think it would be so soon. I thought physics might eventually turn your brain into something resembling pap and then you'd turn to a life of drinking and moving between homeless shelters...

I've just started reading your blog - and thanks "best friend" for letting me know it existed! Well better late than never and we have a whole Vail of time (that was bad even for me and I still don't get it...) to go over our stories so all can be forgiven. I am slightly freaking out about not having enough money to do Vail and we need to talk. I'll email you later about it...

I'm living pretty much in the ghetto with lots of homeless people in San Francisco so I'm sure we now have lots of stories to swap!

P.S - The pidgeons here are huge!

LOVE YOU LONG TIME
muah
Rob

  Robyn Nov 25, 2006 10:13 AM

About rhiannon

I got to play in leaves! I've never done so before because Brisbane and Hong Kong don't really have an autumn. For me it's the kind of thing that only happens in cartoons.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.