Existing Member?

Look out world, here I come!

Lights, camera, action

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 26 February 2012 | Views [550]

2012 is shaping up to be a ripper for travel! I have lots of work trips coming up around Asia to countries I've never been to, as well as some others well travelled. And I also have a road trip from Perth to Monkey Mia over Easter and a big trip across the USA later in the year. I'm so excited, and manically researching and planning all my trips to make the most of my time away.

Frist stop, new camera. My beloved old camera that served me so well around the globe from Italy to India, met its maker (dropped in England, dropped in France and dropped for its last time in Malaysia). I've taken my time, relying on my pocket point and shoot for some time, while I've been researching camera's for a year. I now have the Canon 600D/T3i  (and some new gadgets) in hand! I'm ecstatic. After my initial few days of getting to know the new camera, I'm very happy. Both video and photo on auto and manual have so far produced fantastic results in macro, landscape and low light. The red bird on the Eiffel tower was taken inside on low light, macro with a magazine behind to display the background blur, in about the first hour I had it. However, while the 18-55 kit lens is doing a solid job it is slow to focus in low light, so I really want to upgrade to a telephoto lens, and to a USM lens. I've read a lot of recommendations, and for my travels I don't want anything too pricey that I have to worry about damaging (given my track record!). So I'm thinking the 28-135 for a wide standard zoom or 70-300 for telephoto. Both have IS & USM, and both focus so much quicker and quieter with the USM. I've read reviews citing both have some creep, but I think any telephoto lens outside the L series will have some. That said, I'm going to keep trying out lenses until I decide to buy one. Recommendations welcome.

Next stop - Thailand. It's my first time, I feel like I'm the only Aussie that's never been to Thailand! So while this trip is for work I will have a weekend to stomp around Bangkok and see the highlights. Busy reading, plotting and scheming things to do and will have some work friends to keep me company...bring it on!

Tags: 600d, camera, canon, lens, photography, t3i, thailand, travel

 

About princessfeet


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.