Existing Member?

Experience the essence. Feel, love, believe and fall in love, feel the aura of each place and let it captivate your soul, so much so you wont even know how time flies.

A State of Gaiety and Trance

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 30 April 2014 | Views [577] | Comments [17] | Scholarship Entry

It’s nearing dawn and it suddenly feels as if the trials of life have reached its peak. City life gets rather sedentary and redundant after a point that to cool off we automatically confine ourselves to the man-made vices of television and alcohol to disconnect and move far away. There is an attempt to get as much as we can a sense of peace and tranquility to rejuvenate and maybe reason out life and its twisted ways.


As I sit on the pebbled beach of Brightonia, life and thoughts fade to black and the power of the sea overpowers me and I am left gazing at the inhospitable waters of the English Channel. However I’m overcome by a sense of serenity as the wind blows. Brighton the ever vibrant city leaves me dumbstruck, it’s probably one of the few places where every individual no matter where they come from are always spirited to live life like there is no tomorrow. The sea side compliments the Brighton spirit in an interestingly unified way, in a city that is always happening, the calm sea is a place where people come together and gather around to sing, dance or light a bonfire.


The best way to describe Brighton is a summer paradise. It is a place that always keeps you happy and lets you be who you want to be.Whoever you are and wherever you are from, in Brighton, you don’t need to hide or pretend or follow a conventional setting. The name of the city encapsulates its spirit in the best possible way.


History offers a similar story, Brighton was where the royalty would come and visit as a place of respite and this practice died down after the ambitious Queen Victoria deigned it to be a sin city. Nonetheless the spirit lived on and Brighton continues to be the cultural hub of the UK where art and music acquires a new dimension.


A year of my life feels like a dream , like as if I went off into a deep sleep and went to paradise and I woke up to reality . The words of John Lennon in his song “Imagine” speaks to me every time I close my eyes and dream of Brighton, imagine all the people , living for today, no boundaries, no countries, no norms, I yearn for paradise and the sunny and beautiful Brighton.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

Comments

1

Very well written

  Chandni Sengupta Apr 30, 2014 9:47 PM

2

A beautiful description of the Brighton we all know and cherish.

  Charlie Harping May 1, 2014 1:55 PM

3

Really lovely piece, nostalgic reading about Brighton. I must go back!

  Ahmed Inayatullah May 1, 2014 2:03 PM

4

Your writing takes me to Brighton. Its good to read. Keep it up!!

  shivani singh May 1, 2014 3:48 PM

5

Nicely written, thanks for sharing. Write more

  Sanjukta May 1, 2014 5:24 PM

6

A beautiful and accurate piece about our town, keep it up!

  Arda May 1, 2014 8:18 PM

7

This is lovely! Hope to read more from you.

  Sharmila Ray May 2, 2014 4:21 PM

8

This really, deeply represents the way I feel about my foster home for 4 years that Brighton has been. It really taught me that it doesn't matter who you are, what you do or what you think, everyone still takes you for you in this place rightfully described as a summer paradise. Shreya, great job in writing this piece, you just made me want to gk back very, very badly! xxx

  Sara Dirocco May 2, 2014 4:44 PM

9

This made me very nostalgic.Having lived in Brighton for a year myself, I know exactly what you mean. You have captured the beauty of the small town very aptly.

  maham May 2, 2014 5:11 PM

10

Good job Shreya! This is such a vivid account of what my time in Brighton was like.

  Minahil May 3, 2014 10:35 PM

11

Good stuff!

  Viggi May 6, 2014 2:43 PM

12

I must say its a very well written article. you show extreme potential for growth, keep up the good work and then the sky it the limit for people like you.

  rc May 6, 2014 6:53 PM

13

Very will written. :)

  Prabhat May 9, 2014 9:00 PM

14

Good job Shreya !:)

  ambreen ayub May 9, 2014 9:14 PM

15

Nicely written, the seaside in Brighton is special!

  martin thomas May 9, 2014 9:57 PM

16

This is exactly what Brighton is

  Kate May 12, 2014 12:55 AM

17

Nicely put, you took me to a dreamworld.

  Neha Kapoor May 14, 2014 7:39 PM

About pneuma


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.