Existing Member?

Travel is a Wonderful Thing The journey not the arrival matters.. T.S Eliot

Rothenburg

GERMANY | Tuesday, 6 October 2015 | Views [365] | Comments [1]

St Jacobs Rothenburg

St Jacobs Rothenburg

A new day, a new exploration. Rothenburg is a town surrounded by a wall. It's a fortress with a covered walkway all around. The length of the wall is approx 3 kilometres, has 42 gates and towers and was built in Medieval times ( during the 14th Century).
Walking along the top you get a wonderful view down laneways and into backyards of the people close to the wall. It is very impressive and well preserved thanks to the various restoration projects over the years.
Walking the bottom of the wall is very peaceful in the tree lined and lush countryside that is outside the towering rock structure. It also gives you the idea of how hard it would of been to penetrate this engineering feat. Complete with moat and battlements I dare say it would have been daunting.
Once back inside we wandered the cobblestones, peering into shops and alleys all the while marvelling at the condition of these old walls and structures.
St Jacobs church is beautiful. Built in1311 (started) it soars to the heavens and contains the Alterpiece of the Holy Blood. It was carved around 1499 and holds a rock crystal capsule which dates back to 1270. It also holds an organ consisting of 5000 pipes. It must sound awesome when played in this huge house of god. The stained glass windows are perfect and tell stories handed down over the generations. It is a Lutheran Church and once again well preserved.
Coffee, beer, sausage and a rest for we are going on the Nightwatchmen tour tonight to get an insight into the city after dark.
As I write this the heavens have opened up and sent down rain with the odd clap of thunder. Hopefully it will clear for later on.

 

Comments

1

The first day of inclement weather in our 4+ weeks of travelling...not bad odds I'd say. Beautiful Rothenburg is now glistening.

   Katrina Oct 7, 2015 7:06 AM

About pjandc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.