Existing Member?

Zion to Crater Lake: A Sea of Sand and Forests

Udo: Worth Your Time

SOUTH KOREA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [283] | Scholarship Entry

From the moment I said I was traveling to Jeju Island, I was told to not miss Udo. Udo Island, aka Udo, is a small island off the east coast of Jeju and boasts the most beautiful scenery in Jeju. Small enough to cover in half a day, Udo is without a doubt a must-visit for all travelers wanting the true tropical island experience. Tips for those visiting this part of South Korea – First, the ferries to and from Seongsan run from early morning to early evening. This makes it difficult to spend a whole day on the island unless you are willing to spend the money to stay over night on the island. Second, those looking for sprawling beaches will be disappointed. Most of Udo’s coastline is volcanic rock. There is only a handful of white sand beaches scattered around Udo. These beaches will satisfy all your beachside drinking and sunbathing needs, but may become overcrowded during peak seasons. Lastly, tandem biking is the recommended way of getting around the island (Note: opinion is subject to change depending on ones vehicle preferences). With no real plan or what to expect, we caught an early bus from Jeju-si to Seongsan port. After a 15-min ferry ride, we were dropped off at one of the two ports of Udo, Haumokdonghang port. We spotted a tandem bike at one of the rental shops and it was love at first sight. We then set off to the nearest beach, Hagosudong beach, on the northeast of the island. Cycling the coastline of volcanic rock and contrasting crystal blue water made for numerous photo stops and before we knew it, we reached Hagosudong beach. After countless selfies, we hit the beachside snack bars for burgers, beers, and Udo’s famous peanut ice cream. As our journey along Udo’s coast continued, we passed Udo’s many stone cottages, fruit stands, snack bars, and farmland until we reached Geommeolae beach, on Udo’s southeast coast. The black sand is not the only intriguing part of the area. In fact, most cameras face the sloping cliffs, coves, and deep turquoise water surrounding Udobong Peak on the other side of the beach. We continued around the southern tip and through the second port, Cheonjinhang, to Hongjodongoehaebin beach. Although picturesque, it is so close to both ports and hotels that it is by far the most touristy spot on the island. After a quick ride back up the west side of Udo and an emotional returning of our beloved tandem bike, we boarded the ferry. I'll say one thing, no one can deny the island’s charm and tranquility. Highly recommend.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About phil0


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.