Existing Member?

Peterstravels Leave nothing but footprints take nothing but photos and remember that souvenir is being carried for over 10000 miles!!

The Pomegranate City

SPAIN | Wednesday, 13 February 2013 | Views [346]

Granada is Spanish for Pomegranate which is on the coat of arms of the city. The draw here is of course the Alhambra (Red-Castle). This dates from as early as the 9th Century and was for several hundred years a Muslim stronghold. Indeed Granada and the area around did not cede to the Spanish rule until 1492. The Muslims were given the right to religious and political freedom but along with the Jews they were persecuted and forced out by the 17th Century. Persecution and murder was to return to the area during the Spanish Civil War when Nationalist took control of the city in 1936 and over 4000 politically undesirables were put to death.

What has been left behind is a mixture of Islamic, Christian, Arabic and European splendor. I have said it before, other countries are not afraid to restore and reinterpret to add to their heritage, unlike us in the UK who only, maybe, want to conserve! A visit to the Alhambra is greatly enhanced by these differences.

Within the area known collectively as the “Monument of the Alhambra and Architects Garden”, there are several Palaces, ruins of a Medina, Arabic Baths, Churches and Mosques some interesting gardens, stunning views over the Old Town of Granada and of course running water everywhere.

I shall leave the detail of the visit to be told by my photos, they show not a totally authentic story but what is real and what is not is very well concealed and the result was a very interesting and educational visit.

 

About peterlee54

8 Cap Roc - Western most point

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.