Existing Member?

There and Back Again The continuing travels of me

Birthday

JAPAN | Friday, 5 September 2008 | Views [1057] | Comments [4]

Friday was work as usual, I didn't tell anyone at work it was my birthday, I prefer to keep it low key.

At 4pm I left to catch the train for Tokyo. Normally I stay at work till 5.30 or 6, my contract says 4pm but no one else leaves that early and I'm right acroos the carpark so I prefer to stay on. Friday however I needed to run to get the train. t took about 2.5 hours to Asakusa in Tokyo.

I met Kanae in Ginza for dinner. I said I felt like pizza so she booked a restaurant, I was thnking of normal pepperoni or similar but this place was gourmet. We had a gorgonzola pizza with white sauce (no tomato anywhere) and walnuts and other stuff I can't recall. It was pretty good. Kanae gave me a really lovely tea bowl, but I doubt I'll use it for tea.

My hotel had a sign in the lobby saying they lock the door at 11.30 (Huh??), I had to rush back and made it with 3 minutes to spare. Although the next night I was late and they were still open with heaps of people coming and going. I suspect they have forgotten the sign exists and it no longer has any relevance.

Saturday I went to Tokyo Disneyland and met a bunch of Gunma JETs who were there for Lida's birthday. Lida is a Canadian girl who turned 22 on Saturday. Most of us stayed at Disneyland till closing time, they went on to party all night somewhere in Tkyo, I went back to the hotel in Asakusa.

Sunday I got the train back home and met up with Nami (one of the gils from the Okonomiyake night). Nami is studying English and wanted to practice conversation, we had a nice afternoon, our conversation was broken up with electronic dictionary searches and doodling on her notebook to explain stuff, but I think we understood most of what we were saying to each other.

I saw Andrew on my way home last night, but I still keep getting lost when I'm trying to get to his place from anywhere but my house. he caught me up on what went on in Kiryu while I was away, seems surprising things can happen in 2 days, but it would be ungentlemanly to discuss such things in public.

Now I'm back at work, I have English conversation tests to mark this afternoon. I just found out last Friday actually that I am expected to run and assess the tests. So I've done up some assessment forms and I'll muddle through some how.

I'm a little concerned that without a text book to follow a lot of the students won't be able to hold any kind of 2 way conversation anyway.

We'll see.

Comments

1

Happy Birthday!
Disneyland is exactly what we should have endured whilst we were inhaling the L.A smog of 2005.....
This time 3 years ago.....amazing.....

  Adam White Sep 8, 2008 11:33 AM

2

Happy Belated Birthday!

  Pat Sep 8, 2008 5:04 PM

3

Hi Pete,
Disneyland-Tokyo looks like fun. You'll always remember that birthday! We all missed you but, it's better that you are able to enjoy Japan.
Love Mum X

  Mum Sep 8, 2008 9:01 PM

4

Hi Pete,

I am now in David Benson's TCM position and sitting in the office at Waverley. Jo has given me your blog address and I have spent the last 30mins with a strong coffee from the cafeteria reading of your adventures and browsing your photos. Sounds like you are really getting around. Loved your photos. Life at Holmesglen is much the same, you're not missing much. It is great to catch up with the staff at Waverley, that's a nice part of this job. Make sure you keep up the blog, I really enjoyed reading it! Oh, and do as much travelling as you can while you are there, make the most of it!

Cheers,
Jenny H

  Jenny Horwill Sep 11, 2008 2:50 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.