Existing Member?

Lighting out for the territory nce more in the Middle East. The more I travel the more I want to travel and the longer that I am out of England the happier I am. At present in Iraq and having a wonderful time. really fallen in love with the country and the people. Very glad I came and

Mon 13th Oct - Tehran

IRAN | Monday, 13 October 2008 | Views [1060]

3 mosquito bites and counting. Dial up internet is dreadfully slow but fried eggs for breakfast make up for a lot. Martyn just left to take the metro from Imam Khomeini Square. Most savvy in forn parts is Martyn. I shall miss him. Laundry ready 11.30. Last fag and go out. feel watched, feel guilty, afraid of giving offence. Time to create a UK bubble round me. Touch of the memsahib.

Pootled round Tehran in circles so as not to have to cross the road. Parsnet shut because of powercut so to Cafe Nadir nr British Embassy, heavily guarded Brit Embassy. And heavily fortressed Russian Embassy across the street. Possibly not the safest place in the world. Found my way round much more easily but Tehran holds no appeal for one who spent 30 odd years in London. Reminds me of the aesthete who wrote home from the Somme "My dear! the noise! The people!"

Booked on the midnight bus to Esfahan. Once again a list of missed tourist opportunities; anti-US graffiti, mosques, bazaars. Against that; the lavender wedding dress, the young conscript, surviving the zebra crossings, staying in a waste of tyre shops. OK by me, a peripheral tourist at best.

About pecosbiff

Oh God, it's hot here!

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Iran

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.