Existing Member?

Lighting out for the territory nce more in the Middle East. The more I travel the more I want to travel and the longer that I am out of England the happier I am. At present in Iraq and having a wonderful time. really fallen in love with the country and the people. Very glad I came and

Mon 6th Oct - Istanbul

TURKEY | Monday, 6 October 2008 | Views [1021]

Woken up by the bored Aussie kids going off to Gallipoli which is another thing they probably won't enjoy or see the point of, poor lads. Breakfast on the terrace overlooking the Bosphorus which is beginning to feel like a normal thing to do. Damn it, it is a normal thing to do. Tempted to stay here for three months and photoshop my pic into scenes from Iran and India (This is me at the Taj Mahal....) I could live here, problem yok.

Went back to bed after bfast as all peopled out and ready to lie down and think for a bit. Galvanised by Jon being transferred to the big dorm cos they object to his bike and trailer being upstairs. Came out to get out money for 9 days hostel. Only 108 euros, fantastically cheap. Bought Jason Goodwin's book on the Ottoman empire for the train. Gave 5 lira to kid who came in cafe. He gave me his couchsurf in Loughborough. Wish I had more cash but gave him my email in case something with plane or whatever.

TEB at the start of the Grand Bazaar gives out Euros (and dollars and pounds). Took out 200 Euro but some not clean enough for Iran where they will not take used notes, I have heard. Tried to change my grubby notes in what turned out to be a deep Muslim bank and was shown the door even tho I was wearing the headscarf of invisibility. Fed up because hungry and irritated at having to find 500 spotless euros so going to dine in style tonight at the cart outside the hostel.

Tags: banks, living in istanbul

About pecosbiff

Oh God, it's hot here!

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.