Existing Member?

You Hate Us Cuz You Ain't Us

Gastroenteritis in Getsemaní

COLOMBIA | Sunday, 4 January 2015 | Views [629]

Greetings folks! Great news: Matt and I have both gotten gastroenteritis, aka what us Americans call "the stomach bug." Thus, we have stayed in Cartagena a few days longer than initially planned. Suffice to say, there are plenty of exciting things to do here (for whichever of us is not sick at that given moment). Last night we explored the walled inner city of Cartagena called "old city." It is beautiful with dazzling balconies and narrow streets with vendors everywhere selling handcrafted emerald jewelry, Botero "fat Mona Lisa" paintings, and woven handbags. Even came across a guy making leather sandals by hand (gorgeous)!

Things are a bit expensive here, everything is maybe 50% of the equivalent in America. As we travel further south, things will become significantly cheaper.

i finally have some photos to show you because I took them with my iphone. The real gems are on my GoPro but y'all will have to wait til I return to see those.

Our hostel is pretty cool (figuratively not literally). The corridor is open to the sky and there is a rickety but charming kitchen upstairs which is open as well. Matt and I share a little room with a door and shutters for a window. All rooms have these massively strong fans in them. Cats sit outside and purr from time to time.

Pretty sure I'm coming down with the flu now, which is why I am blogging. Maybe not though -- and either way it's going to be wildly difficult for the flu to take me down. I AM RESILIENT.

Today we went to the gold museum in old city. Was nice because it was air conditioned and free. We then took a taxi to Castillo San Felipe de Barajas which had the most amazing view over the city. Pictures to follow. In other news I am about to enjoy my first empanada (chicken, of course). 

IMPORTANT NOTE before I go: Colombians smell amazing. Everyone that passes me by smells fresh and with a hint of some light, floral, and clean cologne. Thank you God, for making all Colombians smell so lovely.

Tags: cartagena, castillo, empanadas, exploring

About peacepigs


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.