Existing Member?

Rolling Adventures Pauline's Adventures

28/07/2013 Drysdale River Station (Kalumburu Road)

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 28 July 2013 | Views [632]

Got up at 5.30am, got fire going for breakfast and headed off at 8am. The road was very corrugated and we experimented with different speeds ranging from 20kph to 60kph.

There were a few creek crossings and Yvonne (AKA crocodile bait) waded out to test the depth as usual. We stopped at Kalumburu Rest Area and chatted to some others about tyre pressures and road conditions towards Kununurra and were told it was pretty ordinary.

We turned onto the Kalumburu Road and headed off to Drysdale River Station. The road was very corrugated and dusty again but this time we tried to stick to 60kph on the corrugations as the general consensus was that it was more comfortable and less stress on the vehicles. For the last 5 or so kms it was a lot better as the road was in the process of being graded.

We were glad to arrive at Drysdale River Station where there were 2 options for camping; at the homestead or at Miners Pool. Miners Pool a further 5km down the road had no facilities and wasn't anything special so we decided to camp under the trees at the homestead where there were showers and washing machines. There was also a nice grassy shady bar and restaurant.

We washed everything we owned, showered then relaxed at our campsite under the trees for the afternoon. I pitched my tent for the first time since leaving Karratha (the small one I've used for bicycle touring). I'm feeling tired today probably from the driving which takes more concentration than on the bitumen. Made the decision not to drive to Mitchell Falls so booked the 6.30am 2 hour scenic flight with the others through the Northern Kimberley including Mitchell Falls and the surrounds. We each had to have our weights checked and I was 6kgs heavier than I guessed so I'm sure the scales were wrong. Freda and Yvonne had the $45 buffet dinner and I joined them for a drink. The public telephone here is in a fridge! In bed by 8pm.

Tags: gibb river road, kalumburu road, kimberley, western australia

About pauline

Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.