Existing Member?

Rolling Adventures Pauline's Adventures

27/07/2013 Hann River (Gibb River Road) (FC #11)

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 27 July 2013 | Views [557]

The 3 of us went for morning loop walk around Mount Elizabeth Station complete with a couple of creek crossings, horses, kangaroos, wallaroos and egrets.

The 11km drive on the so called 'easy road' to a Gorge on the station property was mostly good except for a few very rocky sections requiring low range. While we were having a swim at the gorge we noticed a bushfire close by, perhaps Aborigines burning off so we checked the map in relation to the fire and headed off quickly to continue our journey back to the Gibb River Road, this time towards Drysdale River Station where the others were thinking of taking a scenic flight over the Kimberley and Mitchell Falls. I was still deciding whether to join them on the flight or continue to Mitchell Falls by road. The going was slow on the corrugated roads and we were feeling tired so after crossing the Hann River and a well needed cup of tea and cake we decided to spend the night at the free camp there and continue onto Drysdale the next day. We met a guy whose sedan had broken down with water in the engine as a result of his speeding through the creek and another guy in a 4WD who had to be towed by his mates.

After choosing our campsite on the edge of the river, collecting firewood and washing in the river we spent the evening swapping stories around the campfire. There were lots of people camping here by nightfall including the guy in the sedan telling his tale loudly on the sat phone.

Tags: gibb river road, kimberley, western australia

About pauline

Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.