Existing Member?

Pack Light Walk Slow Calvin: "It's a magical world out there Hobbes, ol' buddy.

Hobbes: "Let's go exploring."

Queue up? Not here!

CHINA | Friday, 20 September 2002 | Views [1222]

The concept of a "line" does not exist in China.

On our way back to the ship after wandering around Shanghai for the day, we decided to try out the bus.  We found the bus stop and stood patiently on the curb waiting for the next bus.  When it pulled up, we were pleasantly surprised that it pulled up right in front of us - we'd be the first on the bus! How lovely.  However, the moment the bus opened its doors, a sea of black-haired heads surged for the opening, leaving us Americans standing open-mouthed and staring on the sidewalk.  They kept shoving and pushing their way into the bus until it was packed solid, and even then they kept pusing. One man was caught half in and half out of the bus, and the bus driver started hitting the man over the head with a newspaper (apparently that means "Get the heck off the bus so I can close the doors!") but the man just ignored the beating and held on to his precarious position.

I guess in a country of 1.3 billion people you learn to be agressive or you don't get anywhere. 

Needless to say, we walked home that night...

Tags: (mis)adventures in local transit, china

 
 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.