1-2-06 4:48 PM
Food, food, interesting food...
In no particular order...
* sticky rice with boiled peanuts
* green sticky rice
* two soups (one with some gray meatballs of some sort that had a REALLY spicy aftertaste)
* breaded fish (with the fish head still on the plate!)
* breaded shrimp skewers (though they looked nothing like what you get at Red Lobster)
* sticky noodles
* steamed baby spinach
* pig skin (or so I was told)
* spicy/sour cabbage
* spring rolls with another VERY spicy sauce
* catfish (very dangerous...lots of bones)
* steamed lettuce
* dough balls with some kind of meat inside
* many more soups, the contents of which I have no idea
* something else I didnt recognize
* sugar cane juice (interesting!)
* "coffee" = espresso
* "coffee with milk" = espresso
* stewed beef with bread...for breakfast (the only dish I recognized!!)
* bread and butter with...wait for it...liver paste! for breakfast (actually, it was pretty good!)
* and of course, RICE RICE RICE
* New food added 1-4-06: WORMS for lunch... and they actually tasted pretty good until I was foolish enough to ask what they were
* Correction: Worms were actually eel - better, but not by much!
* New foods added 1-19-06: * Dog : ( Not a very fun experience, but it's a delicacy, and if I'd turned it down they would have been insulted.
* Funny story: I was at dinner with two students in Saigon and there was a big chunk of brown something in my soup that looked sort of like liver and had the same icky texture as liver, but tasted pretty good. When I asked what it was they said, "Don't worry, it's very good for you. We'll tell you when you're done with it." I thought, uh oh, but it tasted ok so I finished it. When I was done, they said it was...wait for it... coagulated pig's blood!! True story..