Existing Member?

Up the Road

Up the Road and Up the Hill

PAKISTAN | Saturday, 10 May 2014 | Views [266] | Scholarship Entry

Travelling is not just about capturing sceneries and breath taking views in your eyes. It serves much more important purpose. It’s about experiencing and taking it in. Absorbing what you see and learn through the journey that you take on. Apart from “the Views”, getting to know local people and their tradition is something very warming. It moulds your feelings and emotions, sometimes beyond what you realise.

Such was the experience when I traveled to Mansehra & Balakot. I work as audit officer, and it allows me to travel different cities. Mansehra and Balakot are situated in northern and colder areas of Pakistan. Mountain views, valleys and narrow roads would just be a tip to describe these hilly areas. Along with my friends, I started my journey at 6 Am. It was end of December, coldest period in this part of the world. Mountains were capped with snow, trees with snow on their branches, so quiet, as something mysterious about them.

We stopped at a “Truck Hotel”, for a little meal. Truck hotels are basically small local huts for travelers, mostly truck drivers, to have something to eat. Though we were not quiet hungry, but we decided to get our energies up by having something. Local food was served, Paratha (bread made of wheat) with yogurt and omelet. More than the food, it was the environment and gathering with roadies that fancied us.

Road to Balakot is carved around the mountains and blessed with a beauty of River, “Kunhar”. Feeling of freshness is so overwhelming sometimes; you wish to be settled there. At one point we crossed a swinging wooden bridge, across the river. Standing on that bridge would give you Goosebumps, because it felt like a circus rope. River flowing underneath, wind blowing across, making that bridge move like a pendulum, is really something. That entire thrill is worth it.

Along with all this, it has its tragedies. Balakot was jolted by earthquake in 2005 catastrophe, demolishing most parts of the city and village area. Main areas of city are still under process of reconstruction & rehabilitation. Local people showed us a place where once was a school and it was very disheartening to know that many children were buried here. But salute to courage and bravery of these people, who not only stood firm, but also, helped each other in these tough times.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About osama


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Pakistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.