Existing Member?

An Empty City

Sunrise Breakfast Overlooking London

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [1569] | Scholarship Entry

There's something very distinctly "London" that stands out from the very moment you set foot on the pavement. It's not Big Ben, the London Eye, or the Shard looming above you like the evil eye of Sauron; it's the exasperated sighs and passive aggressive glares cast upon you by locals as they rush by you with a mumbled "excuse me."

London is a city that's full of life, constantly bustling with people who have somewhere Very Important to be; anyone walking slower than a brisk five miles per hour is immediately swept away by an undertow of Londoners as they stampede along to their next destination. But the streets tell an entirely different story in the early hours. Gone are the businessmen with their briefcases, the stressed out students, even the slow-walking tourists. It's the perfect time to experience London in a different light.

Perhaps you've had a wild night out at one of London's many bars, or you're naturally an early riser. Or perhaps, like me, travelling makes you an insomniac. Either way, should you find yourself awake at 5:00 AM in London, hop on a night bus (an experience in itself) to the Heron Tower. On the 40th floor sits the acclaimed restaurant Duck and Waffle - open 24 hours - with magnificent panoramic views of the city and prices to match. It's unlikely that you'll need reservations, but call anyway and ask for a table by the window, facing East.

The elevator ride is enough to give you vertigo as you soar past the streets below you, but the view is nothing compared to that which awaits you. Sit down, relax, and let the waiters do their job as you admire the sun illuminating the glass skyscrapers and narrow roads; try and see if you can spot certain roads or buildings that you've visited. You have the option of the breakfast or the late night menu, depending on what season you go. Both are filled with delectable foods and a variety of drinks, and the eponymous dish is always available, freshly made in the open kitchen. It's my personal favourite: succulent duck, a genius syrupy concoction, and a bright golden yolk to rival that of the rising sun.

London will be waking up by the time you finish your meal, and the illusion of an empty city is slowly, but surely, shattered. The city is alive once again, and you can choose to jump right in with it - the nearby Columbia Flower Market opens at 8:00 AM on Sundays, and the eclectic street art of Shoreditch is always entertaining and ever changing - after all, London never really sleeps.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About olivia


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.