Existing Member?

COASTALOBSERVER by sophia rose' "See no evil : Hear no evil : Speak no evil. For beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Money is not everything."

KAIKOURA LAVENDER FARM ' Purple Craze '

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 6 June 2014 | Views [367]

A stream of constant chuckling and childlike giggles flowed from the open Cafe window, like a melody of musical notes to ones favourite classical tune. It was a bumper summers day in Kaikoura for locals and tourists alike and what better way than to spend up to two hours at the Lavendyl Lavender Farm, Cafe and Shop, situated three kilometres off the main highway and tucked in under the mound of Mt Fyffe. The mount stands as apart of the majestic seaward Kaikoura mountain ranges, spoken of as 'where the mountain meets the sea'.

The farm is a five acre block consisting of over 50 different species of lavender plants. In September until May, the seasonal 'purple craze' begins as the flowers grow to their purple sweet buds, ready for harvesting into Kiwi products for the New Zealand Cottage Industry. The aromas, like the Queen bee pheromones, never disappear at the farm. Senses revive gently, alive with the natural fragrances and oils that fill the air with those better spores we breathe in as fresher air. It can be smelt everywhere you walk around the farm, even while standing amongst the roses. Everyone who arrives to the farm gets that whiff and off they go. The 'purple craze' takes over. 

As I sat there under the shade of the old Oak tree, sipping on my cup of lavender tea, made in a teapot and dunking my home baked lavender biscuits that tasted like the delicious traditional Scottish shortbread, I could see in through the open Cafe door, to the group of twenty clucking local ladies having their monthly tea party gathering. I watched as they mingled on pouring lavender tea for each other and stopping to say a joke then bursting out in fits of laughter. The Cafe was humming with delight.

Earlier on, I spotted them disembarking from their bus in the car park area. They stood out as fascinating, in their colourful attire, looking like a group from the fifties in immaculate dress. You could see theiy were incensed immediately their foot hit the pathway. You could see their bulging eyes. The 'purple craze' of the lavender, like bears to bees honey, enthused and infused with the heavenly scent descending from the lavender bushes surrounding the main Farm walk entrance and buildings. They all headed straight toward the shop, magnetised for therapy shopping, standing for a moment at the door with enlarged, flared nostrils, taking the scent in before bringing out their credit cards and cash to begin shopping For the lavender goodies arrayed artistically in every nook and cranny of the store. The temptation was too much once they entered over the threshold of this busy wee cottage industry going on. The 'purple craze' took over all sensibilities.

From lavender wooden oil holders to 100% pure oils, soaps, creams, pot pourri, plants, ornaments, gifts, honey, cards, seeds, local product and crafts, to the bonus of choosing a lavender item for that 'special someone'.

Then it was like they remembered about the Cottage Cafe, where brews the lavender homebrew, served in a teapot with their home baked lavender cookies and they all started to walk away.

The till was ringing away merrily and the owner John was running around on overload. Between orders of lavender tea and biscuits served in matching cups and saucers, with dainty posies of purple flowers painted on the sides, he was also wrapping up gifts in purple paper with purple ribbon and bows. The 'purple craze' was now in full swing. 

"We are moving to a new farm in Wanaka, Central Otago", said the owner John. "My sons are building the farm and we will all work it together throughout a full year, unlike Kaikoura where it is quiet in Wintertime. That is why we have a for sale sign out the front of this farm", he continued. "Kaikoura is only busy through Summer seasons".

Yes the 'purple craze' of Lavender, never departs from our lifestyles. We need it as much as the bees. Give me a lavender steam bath and oil massage anytime. It is a divine fragrance that awakens my senses.

If you are travelling through kaikoura in the Summer months, be advised to swing off the main highway and seek solace under the mountain, side by side with historical nature. Be expectant of the powerful effect you are guaranteed to receive within. Feel the 'purple craze' found only at  Zealand's Lavender Farm experiences.

Tags: homemade, lavender farms, nature, tea parties, teapots

About nzfreespirit-worldclasstravels


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.