Existing Member?

My scholarship entry

A Skipper's Moment of Truth.

INDONESIA | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [149] | Scholarship Entry

I’ll never forget my spontaneous and unprepared trip to Karimunjawa with my college bestie, Liza. On this trip, i had experienced a thrilling and terrifying moment in my life; i was trapped in the middle of extremely stormy ocean, in which came in a very sudden way. Me and Liza went to Karimunjawa after the exam, without thinking about the weather or the issue about the bad condition in the sea. In a short way, we went there without any preparation. First of all, our trip was completely awesome, and everything was perfect for me

Until the worst part began. There were no ships allowed to cross into KarimunJawa because of the bad weather. We spent another day more there. On the next day we got a good news. There is Tongkang ship which came from Borneo Island and were going to Java Island but will transit for a while in Karimunjawa. We have decided to go back to Java Island with that ship. Tongkang is smaller than a Ferry. Everything went well at first. But on 10.00 pm, the waves was getting bigger, ship quaked very hard, the water and wind also gave a harmony of a scary sound, mixed with a heavy rain. Those conditions made the ship sloped and turned into 90degree. We stayed in the ship deck and tried to sleep but it was very hard, even though the ship’s crew said that everything will be alright. We arrived at Tanjung Perak Harbour on midnight. One of my new friend just told the truth about the storm. The skipper’s ship told him that it was the worst storm that he ever had. He has experienced it before and his ship sank on 1994 and 2004. He knew that it was a periodically storm.
Even though i didn’t give any contribution, i felt the great efforts from all ship’s crews that they didnt want to sink again for now. They defoted their biggest effort to make the ship remain stable and they nailed it. They did a great job. We’re safe.

I got a very glorious experience. The ship’s skipper might fail in facing the storm 10 years ago, but he never gave up and keep in faith to try again. His bad experience didnt make him wary and stop sailing. He keeps sailing and keep in faith about whatever happens in the future. He must try harder again and ready to face the same storm again. In my opinion, the skipper is the winner. If everyone did the same thing, just like the skipper did, when the hurricanes come in life, maybe life will become more meaningful. Life is unpredictable and need to strive for. Sometimes you’ll lose but sometimes you’ll win.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About nurmaindah


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.