Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Living back in Rotorua

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 31 January 2011 | Views [906]

Today is Monday the 31st January 2011 and it is a holiday (Auckland Anniversary Day) for the Auckland province which includes Rotorua somehow, even though we are part of the Bay of Plenty province... Any holiday is a good day right! Not that Carol is worried, she is a lady of leisure so far. Kent is working at his old job and we are living in a bedsit under our friends house. Carol has organised things so it is now 'our space'.

We were joined for a night that stretched into three by two young women (Juliette & Chloe) from USA who were wwoofing their way to Christchurch where they are doing a six month university course. They got to experience the geothermal here and went out to Matamata for a Hobbiton tour that they really enjoyed.

In the last two weeks we have had two cyclones pass by causing a bit of havoc here and there. This last one was supposed to kill this weekend but magically the bad weather managed to totally miss Rotorua and we had lovely weather. On Sunday we went to a concert at RAVE which showcased a lot of local talent, it was called a Bluesfeast but had some great rock as well. Disappointingly they didn't manage to control the length of the early performers and as a result the bands we were really into had a much shorter time to play. Overall though it was an excellent day.

On the not good side is the fact that Carol suffered from a debilitating sore stomach for a couple of days last week much to the mirth of those around as they thought it was from an overindulgence in NZ icecream. BUT no, Jack (9 yrs old) who lives upstairs suddenly woke the other night and vomited all over the hallway etc and his stomach is still a bit wobbly today and last night Kent exhibited the same symptoms (except he made it to the sink). So perhaps Carols sore stomach was the same thing. Travelled the world over and no problems and get the bot at home....  :(

The lineup for February is hopefully wonderful weather, more working - Carol too as the census kicks in mid-month and good times with our friends.

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.